Immediate and extended family gifts?

Bunniq

Do you buy for immediate and extended family at Christmas?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy for immediate and extended family at Christmas?

• I buy for immediate family only.
    • I buy for immediate and extended family.
    • I buy for immediate and some extended family.
    • Family??? I just buy for myself!

Immediate family which includes neices, nephews, dh's little brother(19) little sister (15), my sister her dbf my parents dh's, dad, mom, step dad, step mom. We dont buy for dh's other sister and brother because we buy for our neices and nephews, once my sister starts having kids the same thing will happen to her.

We only get from each other and our parents.

My entire family is last minute shoppers :D . We dont shop for gifts on bf is basically just a shopping spree for us:thumbsup: .

Just the thought about buying for my family is like scary. Each year now there has been 3 additional members to the family:no: . This has to stop :gdchatter:. Im going to be broke.

It really depends on budget for us. We both come from large families, and could go bankrupt if we bought for everybody. We always start with buying for our daughter. Then we buy for each other. Then the nieces and nephews, followed by DH's parents (mine are deceased), our siblings, cousins, etc. No matter how much we can or can not spend, we always take care of the kids first. The adults are old enough to understand if we can't get them something.

my dad's family used to have a gift exchange where everyone picked a name and would buy a gift for that person. About 7 years ago, they started only doing the kids names for gifts and adults would bring "white elephant" or "generic" gifts. When my paternal grandmother was still alive, she gave the grandkids & great grandkids a small gift or cash.

I miss guessing who had my name. The white elephant gifts gets out of control with people stealing gifts.

My immediately family, I buy for my nieces and nephews and try to find something for my sister & brother in law & brother & sister in law.

Last year I made my brother and sister in law a "coupon book" to 'redeem' coupons for babysitting or borrowing a DVD from me. This year I'm clueless about what to get them.

The only immediate family I have would be my brothers and sisters. My extended family consists of nephews and neices, and great nephews and great neices. I have some cousins that I exchange Christmas cards with, and if we were around each other more we would probably exchange gifts.

In my family, pretty much if you don't have kids, you get gifts. :D If you have kids, then we buy mainly for your kids instead of you (you might still get a small gift). If you keep popping kids out, your gift might get smaller and smaller, cause you're causing us to have to buy for more kids. LOL it's really not as harsh as it sounds when you type it out. :sidesplit

We buy for immediate family only. First we buy strictly for our daughter who is still at home, then we buy for our son who lives on his own and we buy for my husbands mother, father and brother.

The only outside family purchases that are made are for husbands boss and his wife and a woman's gift, man's gift and child's gift for our yearly church Christmas get together.

The main thing we always make sure our daughter is covered before anyone else.

My husband and I never exchange gifts we would rather take that money that we spend on ourself to spend on our daughter.

• 3 weeks later...

We buy for immediate and some extended family. My dad only has one brother, and that side of the family has jumped from 12 to 25 in the last 3 years.. (growing at approx 1 SO and 2-3 babies per year) Now that us 6 grandkids are old enough to buy gifts, they set a $5 limit and draw names. I was appalled at the $5 until I figured out that if you look hard enough, you can get something really nice for that. We all chip in and buy something for grandma and grandpa (who are loaded and beg for nothing).

Then on my mom's side we buy for 7, my immediate is 5, and his immediate is 10. Plus ourselves and the kids, mailman, teachers, neighbors, etc.

Total= approx 35!

able,

Could you expand a little about what kind of game you play with the gift cards, please? Our family has reached close to 20-- and all but 3 are adults!:g_help: I can NOT convince them to try drawing names... buying something special for that many people can get pretty expensive for a single person with a very modest income!:o But with a good-sized gift card each, we could use them to get what we really wanted in the first place!:yup:;)

TIA!!:fluffy:

i think i answered this in a different post//..but basically we play a game(different every year) the one i think was the most fun to date is the penny toss.. we each bring a gift card and someone sticks them to a big board and had tiny cups under each one.. and we each take a turn trying to toss a penny into the tiny cup(like the size of a medicine cup,or even a cup used for something like a food sample at a store. )the cup your penny lands in is the one you get ...and it is not as eassy as it sounds...or as easy as it looks!

mostly immediate. Our children draw names to buy for one sibling( there are 8 of them:)). I buy for sisters and hubbys( combo gift) and nieces and nephews. Also for my mom and dad and hubby's mom and dad. Buy for Hubby's brother and sister and grandmother. We also buy for his aunt and uncle since they always send our whole family gifts. I usually try to do homemade gifts for older relatives and books or such for nieces and nephews( they already have so much of everything).

I do make cookies and candies, jams and breads, etc. for neighbors, maillady, and snowplow driver.

i buy gifts for everyone - immediate family, extended family, friends, coworkers, our pastor, kids from the angel tree, kids in africa, my girl scouts (i am a leader), my kids' bus drivers, teachers and sunday school teachers...LOL that sounds like a lot, but that's part of why i luv to shop BF b/c i can save lots and still get some really good stuff - although this year i am considering doing baskets (prob. small candle, some candy, cute christmas dishtowel or ornament, mug) for the teachers, pastors, etc. Are baskets well recieved as gifts, or do they seem cheap or cheesy?

I years past I buy for my parents and sister. This year I will buy only for myself since I am sending my parents to Israel and paying for my sisters wedding and honeymoon.

This year I am looking for laptops and computers.

Holu Cow! :eyepoppin May I ask what you do for a living? That is so nice of you. You are a wonderful son & brother. :)

I try to get a little something for everyone, this year extended family member adults will be getting embroidered samplers I am making. Up until this year I made or bought gifts fot all the teachers my daughter had ( those resourse teachers and office personnel really add up) Dont know if I will be doing that this year since we just moved and I do not know them, or know if I even like them.