Immediate and extended family gifts?

Bunniq

Do you buy for immediate and extended family at Christmas?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy for immediate and extended family at Christmas?

• I buy for immediate family only.
    • I buy for immediate and extended family.
    • I buy for immediate and some extended family.
    • Family??? I just buy for myself!

I started this poll to see how others handle immediate and extended family gift giving during Christmas.

For DH and I, immediate includes our grandparents, parents, siblings, their spouses, and their children. For us that numbers 15, and each year for Christmas we buy each of them gifts, as well as gifts for my aunts as they always make gifts to share with us.

We also have an extended family that numbers over 60. For the last few years we have tried to find a way to give to everyone as the family grows, but we have learned that we can't.

This year we are going to give a donation in our family name to a local charity instead of giving gifts to our extended family.

We refer to our family tree as being very "branchy", and it makes it very hard to do. It is not as if we buy for 2 sets of parents, but 4, and then the list gets growing. Throw in extended family, friends, kids, employees/coworkers, neighbors and we are talking over 50-60 at my house. I do love the spirit of giving..so I enjoy doing it...honestly except for the rude people that I feel takes the joy away.

We used to buy for everyone, immediate family, extended family, friends, coworkers, employees, etc. I love the Christmas season and the spirit of giving, but it just got out of control. Finally a couple of years ago we decided to scale it back. With my immediate family, we draw names. With my extended family who has grown apart the last few years, we started having a white elephant exchange. It has turned into bringing the most hideous thing you can find! We have had more fun as a family than we have in years. For my husband's immediate family, we've reduce the amount of gifts significantly. For everyone, we've tried to focus on more handmade or home grown gifts that carry more meaning than a store bought gift.

i buy for about 50 people.this year i think i will have to cut it back ... but last year my family started we just buy for all the kids in the family and the adults each bring one gidt card each and we play a game with those. and each adult leaves with one gift card. but in addition to that i still buy for my parents and grandma,and my aunt(something small) then i have a whole list of people out side of them i always buy for.and i'll still do them..(hopefully on line i can do a lot of it)

ok just counted 19 kids 15 adults +gift card,and maybe a few more. but those are definate.. wow still seems like a lot and i cut it down quite a bit

This year we are going to give a donation in our family name to a local charity instead of giving gifts to our extended family.

That is a great idea. This will be the first Christmas married to my husband (who has a large extended family). We had also decided on immediate family, but I think that would be an excellent thing to do for extended family (let them know we're thinking of them).

last year my family started we just buy for all the kids in the family and the adults each bring one gidt card each and we play a game with those. and each adult leaves with one gift card.

able,

Could you expand a little about what kind of game you play with the gift cards, please? Our family has reached close to 20-- and all but 3 are adults!:g_help: I can NOT convince them to try drawing names... buying something special for that many people can get pretty expensive for a single person with a very modest income!:o But with a good-sized gift card each, we could use them to get what we really wanted in the first place!:yup:;)

TIA!!:fluffy:

Thank you everyone for posting! Good ideas out there!

I told my SIL of our plans and she was so happy. She thinks it would be a wonderful way to teach the children, and some adults, the gift of giving to someone who is in need.

She also suggested maybe have people sign up on Thanksgiving to bring a small gift costing under $5.00 or handmade and we can play the hot potato game for those that signed up.

Is that kind of what you do able and iluvdeals?

I buy for my son and husband. My stepkids get cash and what ever I pick up during the year that they might like. They are teenagers and it's getting hard to buy for them. I also buy for the kids on my Dad's side of the family we have a Christmas Eve shindig every year and I give the kids a toy and the adults a homemade gift. I also buy for the kids in my Husbands side of the family and his mom.

• 2 weeks later...

i have no extended family in this country...he has a huge family and as a family we take all the kids under 16 and drop the names in a hat, pull names per Adult couple and if we pull a godchilds name it gets tossed back in so no one gets a godchild or grandkid...we limit the gift to $25 MAX and buy for that 1 kid...

then the adults do a $20 MAX Yankee Swap

however we have all our friends who decided to finally catch up to us and have kids and they have always bought for our kids so i buy for their kid as well...this leaves my list at 20-22 ppl (i also buy my boss's something small)

I buy for DH and DS of course. My mom, brother, father and mother in-law and my bro and sister in-laws and close friends. This year I am making special personalized Christmas wreaths for my Mother in-law and sister in-laws :) I send cards and make baked goods for other people and for little Christmas "thank yous".

We buy for my parents, hubby's parents and the neices and nephews that live close by. The adults all agree that the holidays are for the kids, so we all just worry about getting the kids stuff.

I tell my parents to not worry about getting us anything, to just buy for the kids. They can watch the kids one night as a gift if they want to do something for us. Both kids have birthdays on the 26th and the 28th so it stetches their wallet.

As for hubby and I exchanging gifts with each other, we will probably get a few things on BF for ourselves. We've bought new living room furniture, dining room furniture and a tv recently. So we decided to call that Christmas.