Contest: Discuss Black Friday @ Win $100 Gift Cards [Winners Posted!]

Brad

I don't like to post much.  But I love GD and follow it daily.  BF shopping for my daughters and I is a drug.  While I shop the bargains year round, nothing beats the rush of BF.  I love being able to make my list, check them twice on the site and head out with the masses.  

I hope Wal-Mart has a better ad this year. Last years was so disappointing. I wonder if they'll have those razor heely things on sale? My 7 year old wants a pair. I did online shopping last year however, since Im missing the action I will be in full force in line this year. May the odds forever be in our favor

My 22 year old daughter sent me a text last night saying "mom, I found the most amazing thing! There's a website called Gottadeal, THEY ALREADY HAVE BLACK FRIDAY ADS POSTED! You have to check it out." I was thinking, where were you the last 4 or 5 years, on Mars? So my reply was "yea I know" and she texts back with "Why are you always ahead of me?" This is the child that has shopped with me online and in stores since she was 13 and now she pays attention.
  • Like 4

I have a serious question to ask everyone.  In the past few years, we've noticed that stores are opening earlier and earlier, most now on Thanksgiving evening instead of Friday morning, but my question is how likely are you going to take time away from your families to save what doesn't appear to be a decent amount of money anymore?  I don't want a dragged out explanation, if possible, but I'm just curious if everyone is feeling like last year was a waste of time.

Also, what seems to be the must have items this year?  What is it that everyone really wants that you would be willing to fight the crowds, lines and endless grouchy people to obtain it?

Thanks!

(My family and I are discussing whether or not we're going to bother with shopping this year because we hated the need to be at the stores during dinner, which was our normal time for eating our big meal.  In order to get to the sales last year, some of our family members arrived too late from their drive to be able to eat with us and relax before we had to rush out the door and most of the sales were not good enough or the supply was not adequate to make all the hassle worth it.)

The Thanksgiving hours have bothered us too, so what we usually do is buy the big popular items online so we don't have to miss dinner, then go out around midnight for smaller items and just to have fun. The crowds and lines aren't too bad that late, and my daughters think it's neat being in the mall in the middle of the night. Although truthfully one of the things I miss about the Friday morning openings is the crowds and lines and chaos. It's very entertaining and satisfying when you have to fight through the chaos to earn that great deal!

I have a serious question to ask everyone.  In the past few years, we've noticed that stores are opening earlier and earlier, most now on Thanksgiving evening instead of Friday morning, but my question is how likely are you going to take time away from your families to save what doesn't appear to be a decent amount of money anymore?  I don't want a dragged out explanation, if possible, but I'm just curious if everyone is feeling like last year was a waste of time.

Also, what seems to be the must have items this year?  What is it that everyone really wants that you would be willing to fight the crowds, lines and endless grouchy people to obtain it?

Thanks!

(My family and I are discussing whether or not we're going to bother with shopping this year because we hated the need to be at the stores during dinner, which was our normal time for eating our big meal.  In order to get to the sales last year, some of our family members arrived too late from their drive to be able to eat with us and relax before we had to rush out the door and most of the sales were not good enough or the supply was not adequate to make all the hassle worth it.)

I cook dinner almost entirely by myself, (my husband makes an apple pie and my daughter makes deviled eggs, my son makes a cheesecake) We spend the entire day together, me cooking and them trying to steal any food they can from the kitchen. Dinner is usually done around 4 and then whom ever doesn't want to shop cleans up dinner while my daughter and I go to Gordmans and sometimes Kmart, my parents go to Walmart and Shopko, my sister goes to Target and Menards, and my aunt goes to JCP and Macys. I do most of the shopping online. I hate the thanksgiving hours but the way we split up the stores we are usually back home within 2-3 hours, and if the deals aren't worth it we don't go.  This year I am pretty sure I will be hitting Kmart if no where else because my daughter and my little brother are both graduating college in May and will be needing the $3-5 appliances for their new homes.

My 22 year old daughter sent me a text last night saying "mom, I found the most amazing thing! There's a website called Gottadeal, THEY ALREADY HAVE BLACK FRIDAY ADS POSTED! You have to check it out." I was thinking, where were you the last 4 or 5 years, on Mars? So my reply was "yea I know" and she texts back with "Why are you always ahead of me?" This is the child that has shopped with me online and in stores since she was 13 and now she pays attention.

Better late than never! Lol

• Like 1

Thanks!

It all depends on the situation you have with family.

Some people don't really have much of a family and don't really do a dinner. 

Some people celebrate Thanksgiving on Saturday

Some people have had traditions going for 10+ years and spending time in line at retailers is their time with their family.

Some people just go out at 7pm and see what they can still get

Some people just go Friday morning to the stores that open Friday morning

Some people do most of their BF shopping online and don't need to go to the stores.

There's all kinds of situations, so this is going to be a completely varying answer from anyone. It has to be completely up to you and your family and how you want to spend your Thursday afternoon/evening.

I still miss Black FRIDAY, back when it was on FRIDAY!   :gdangry4:

Thanks!

Personally, I won't go to the stores that open on Thanksgiving.  It's probably a pointless boycott, but I'm still not going out on Thanksgiving.  

• Like 2