Which is MORE fair?

saturnboy01

Which do you think is MORE fair?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is MORE fair?

With Black Friday only 2 days away I want your opinon about this!

Which is MORE fair:

A. A Lottery system: Where you get a ticket w/a number and then the Company draws numbers by random (no matter what time you got in line). You only get a item if they call your number?

B. A Voucher system: Where they hand out vouchers to people in line according to the time they have been in line. (First come, First serve)?

*These are the 2 main systems that retailers use. I am sure we could debate this until the cows come home but I just wanted to know what BF shoppers thought about these 2 systems. Feel free to put your comments down after you vote also (not required). :holiday08 :holiday08 :holiday08 :holiday08

I will only agree with the lottery system in one situation. When its to avoid a riot. Back in the 80's my mom won me a CP in the lottery system during the great cabbadge patch riots lol. It was so bad ToysRus had peoople put thier names down if they wanted on then they had to leave. If they won they got a phone call and had to come to the back door pay cash and got the CP in a brown paper bag. My dad says it felt like a drug deal lol. People were litterally rioting and mugging and beating eachother over the things. In that case I can agree because it was to protect people. Otherwise it needs to be first come first serve the die hard camp outs or thought way ahead and pre ordered's win

Mara

Voucher no doubt.

What stores use a lottery system?

I know Targets have before.

They actually have a sign hanging outside the door that waiting in line won't do any good, as select, limited doorbusters will be done via a lottery 5 minutes before the doors opened. (of course, this resulted in much in line bribary for 2-3 minutes before the doors opened)

Bill

But, if a store was 'civilized' and advertised ahead of time that the lottery system would be used, then why would anyone go and stand in line for hours? I think if you KNOW the lottery system is used, and you stand in line anyway, you deserve the cold feet! The problem is that retailers treat their customers like brainless cattle and don't let us know how they are going to handle the situation. If they published it ahead of time, we would all know where we need to stand in line, and where we need to be within 5 mins. Of course, if they publicize lottery, then they have to deal with all those cars trying to park at the last minute.

So, fair, shmair...the only logical one that really works is the good ole stand in line voucher system - first come first served.

More fair to whom? If you warn everyone in advance, at the store AND in the ads that it will be a lottery, then that is fair. First come, first serve is fair. The problem is that someone always tries to cheat. Line cutters versus how many lottery tickets did someone take.

The real question, at least for the stores, is what is the safest way to do this, which still drives maximum sales.

There's a lot of comments about people standing in line and getting screwed out of a lottery. But, you'd have to be insane to freeze all night where there's a lottery. Show up at 5:45, get your number, cross your fingers. Lotteries solve problems that come from lines and give the greatest slice of customers a chance at the limited items. Lotteries really are the most fair any way you look at it, BUT...

I vote for FC-FS so I can control my fate. :D