Need Help! First BF and looking for a strategy!

niki7

Hi, this will be my first BF experience ...will be in Miami. There's so much information and ads, deals etc that I'm nervous and a bit confused!!!

I know I would like to visit Walmart because I really want to get some household stuff but my husband and I also want to get clothes, shoes and also some lighting fixtures (chandilier) for our home. Any ideas on the best strategy? Should we hit Walmart first and then look to the other stores?

Please help!!!

Thanks!

I would highly suggest writing a list for each store, of what you intend to purchase at each store. Then you want to compare what times stores open, and if there are any items at certain store with highly limited quantity (TVs, PCs, Laptops, Tablets, etc.). Those really popular highly-sought-for items will go very quickly, and the stores will not carry many.

If you plan to get any sort of highly-wanted item, you definitely want to be at that store to get it. A lot of people split up and go to separate stores so they can get those items. Things like household items and apparel/accessories won't sell out very fast (unless its a special item) if at all during the day.

I agree, write a list for each ad including the times the prices are valid. Some stores, including WalMart will honor other stores prices if you have the ad for the store and are there at the right time. Some stores, like Target, will adjust your receipt if you purchased from there in the previous week.

Then, prioritize. If you want the super cheap tv or computer that people wait in line for a day for, you may not get other things from other stores because you won't get there in time. Only you can decide what is worth it and what isn't.

Be aware, a few people will be crazy. They forget any semblance of manners. Usually they are not where you'd expect. It seems towels & sheets at Walmart are a great place to find the craziest ones!

Your experience will be dictated by your attitude more than your purchases. Enjoy, you are likely to be addicted!

I agree w/ the shopping cart. Once you go through and add from whatever stores you can go back into it and add notes, comments, etc. I use that area to tally up my amt I'm spending (roughly), when I need to be where, etc. Its a huge help to do as much of that as possible BEFORE Thanksgiving so you dont miss stuff when you are stressed on your planning :)

Remember, if you go to the main Black Friday Site, there is the ability to make a list directly on the site. I use this feature every year!

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/ShoppingList

Ditto! I use the notes section when viewing my list to add comments about lower prices at other stores, price matching, etc.

I also make a list each year prioritizing my shopping list from most to least important & a separate list with opening times from earliest to latest. I compare those 2 lists to plan the best route on BF.

If you're wanting towels and sheets, I would highly recommend putting someone at each "station" and have them just wait. Both of those items were gone within seconds of "go time" at my Wal-Mart last year. There were several fights as well, and I even became the victim of a random punch in the face. People started lining up for those things 2 hours before the sale started, but it differs from store to store.

Hi, this will be my first BF experience ...will be in Miami. There's so much information and ads, deals etc that I'm nervous and a bit confused!!!

I know I would like to visit Walmart because I really want to get some household stuff but my husband and I also want to get clothes, shoes and also some lighting fixtures (chandilier) for our home. Any ideas on the best strategy? Should we hit Walmart first and then look to the other stores?

I would see if there is anyone listed in the "Where are you from" list from Miami. See if they want to go as a group. Think twice about going to Walmart for sheets and towels. Check out the quality. Penny's has good prices and all towels are 50% off usually.

For the lighting fixture, I would look at Home Depot or Lowes, but know that there won't be a run on that type of item, so you should be able to do that a little later in the morning.

Clothes depend on what type you need. I buy my hubby jeans from Costco so I will be looking there if they have a deal. For me, I buy pajamas and socks. I have two favorite stores for those so I will get those in the morning. Again, not items that are hot ticket things so I won't worry about being first in line.

This will be a family affair with the different opening hours. My sons will get the late night schedule to buy items that aren't a priority but that the savings is good for.

Good luck, have fun, and remember that this is a day for fun.

Others have highlighted the value of the GottaDeal "My List" feature and the ability to put your own notes under each item. I use this every year and find it one of the most valuable aspects of Gottadeal.

I recommend the following: Download every ad for stores in your area to your computer. Open each ad for stores in your area in one window and the "My List" for that store in another window. Check off EVERY item that you might be interested in at each store. Later, return to the list and uncheck items you no longer want as you review your options. Then, after making lists, review store opening times and start with the store(s) that have the highest priority and most difficult items to get on your list (especially electronics).

In general, I doubt that Black Friday is a good day to get lighting fixtures (especially chandeliers), but check the ads. Don't buy anything on Black Friday that is not a great deal--make those other purchases on another day or online.

Good luck!

black friday rule #1... your already doing it! Be prepared and know what your getting into.

Rule #2... be Nice! patience and kindness isn't everyones rule, but it is mine. do everything with a smile, and if you have the opportunity to help someone out, do so. make friends. *my mom laughs at me and says "this is the one day a year your kind of people get together isn't it". Its a national holiday for rule #3!

Rule #3...Have fun with it, everyone else shopping is just as nuts as you are! just pretend its a concert and you'll have a great time!

Rule#4 if you get it... GREAT! GOOD JOB!! if not, its only stuff. don't put yourself in harms way. keep an eye on your stuff and those around you.

rule #5 put your money in at least three SECURE places on your person. its easy to get ripped off in a crush of people.

rule#6 if your too tired, GO HOME! shop on line. if possible shop on line while IN line.

anything else i missed?

Thanks for all the advice you guys....I guess I can look into getting the sheets and towels at JC Penny's instead of Walmart...I can't believe people physically fight for that stuff!!! Unfortunately i'm not from the US so I don't know the layout of the Walmart or the other stores we'll be going to...I think we're gonna order the lighting fixtures online and have them shipped to the hotel and save the shopping for the clothes and other such items...

Thanks Lusha for the tips...I especially like Rule #4....will keep that in mind..we're on vacation...we're having a great time together...and it's great exercise (lol!)...it's all about being positive right?

Thanks again and please feel free to keep the tips coming...I need all the help I can get! lol

black friday rule #1... your already doing it! Be prepared and know what your getting into.

Rule #2... be Nice! patience and kindness isn't everyones rule, but it is mine. do everything with a smile, and if you have the opportunity to help someone out, do so. make friends. *my mom laughs at me and says "this is the one day a year your kind of people get together isn't it". Its a national holiday for rule #3!

Rule #3...Have fun with it, everyone else shopping is just as nuts as you are! just pretend its a concert and you'll have a great time!

Rule#4 if you get it... GREAT! GOOD JOB!! if not, its only stuff. don't put yourself in harms way. keep an eye on your stuff and those around you.

rule #5 put your money in at least three SECURE places on your person. its easy to get ripped off in a crush of people.

rule#6 if your too tired, GO HOME! shop on line. if possible shop on line while IN line.

anything else i missed?

LOL. I start doing rule #6 when I got my android phone. And, that rule #6 also apply if you are waiting for a store to open and another store is open. Get online on your phone and shop at the store that is already open .!

If this is your 1st time BF shopping I would recommend avoiding Walmart at opening. It is mass chaos in that store. I know a number of people who have gone to Walmart for their first BF and they have never shopped again on BF because of the experience which is not representative of BF shopping at all stores. I would suggest trying to find some of your Walmart items online or go by there after you have shopped at your other stores to see what is left. BF shopping is a fun and rewarding expierence if you can avoid the chaotic situations. Lastly, go to youtube and enter Walmart black Friday.You will see examples of the chaos that occurs in that store year after year. Good luck and I hope you have an enjoyable BF experience.

I think your strategy also depends on where the stores are in relation to another. I never go to Walmart on BF because it's not convenient to the other stores I want to shop at. You can also check out sheets and stuff at Bed Bath and Beyond. They'll have 20% off of your whole purchase. It's usually a little calmer there because they don't have doorbusters. Also, if you're with your husband, you can always divide and conquer. If we get in a store with a long line, DH will just get a cart and stand in line immediately and I'll run around and pick up merchandise. Then we switch if there's stuff that he wants to get. DH does a lot of "line-shopping" on his phone, which is a huge help. Then we don't miss the specials on Amazon, etc, because we were standing in line.

Good luck!

niki7 - If you can, visit the stores ahead of time that you're thinking about BF shopping in. This will give you a chance to get more familiar with the layouts of the stores when it's not so chaotic. ;)

Other than that, I think the others have covered it quite well, so I'll just say best of luck to you and have fun! :D