No toys being bought this year (Kids getting older)

Buckeye Shopper

I am fortunate that when my oldest ones were growing up and my youngest at the time was turning 12 that we had a surprise blessing!! ( my youngest DD who is now 9) She is still into the toys but now I have the 3 grandbabies and 2 more on the way to shop for too.

There are very few toys on our list this year. My daughter will be 6 by then, but she is really wanting a tablet so we are getting her a Nabi2. That will take a huge chunk of our budgeted amount. I have 2 toys on layaway for her and I bought several used DVD's at like 1.00 each. But that will probably be it as far as toys. My boys are 14 so have been out of the toy stage for quite a while...We are hoping that we can get a basketball goal for all three of the kids though.

I was thinking about this yesterday at a football game. My kids are getting bigger so what fun will there be in a few years :g_think: I have a new Daughter so I will be able to buy for her but it will not be the same. Hopefully there will be atleast 2 toys they would want each, Even if it is a hard to find item - so that I can go out looking all over town and in the next 2 states and find it:yup:. That might be crazy but to me worth while and fun.

i have ds11 and dd9. last time ds asked for a toy was approx 3 yrs ago, and that was for a lego kit, which i didnt really classify as a "toy". now my dd still asks for a barbie, moxie girl or monster high doll at random. but this year on their lists is ipod touch, clothes, shoes/boots, and not much of anything else. well dd asked for a play dough dentist set....another random item for her. :)

yep we are phased out as well...welcome to electronics....used to be for 200$ the tree looked PACKED now 200 is a down payment on 2-3 items LOL Somehow $3 board games $5 barbies/dolls just fills the tree up faster then an itty bitty tablet box :P

so true! I try to get at least a few DVDs or games for the kids so at least they have a few extra things under the tree..

• 2 weeks later...
I have 2 that still want toys and DD9 who thinks she wants toys, but never plays with them. Even though the things she would really like are pricier, she's not mature enough to think "Sure, bro got 6 packs of Transformers, but look at my cool new video camera!" Somehow, I doubt the TwinkleToes she's been asking for will be equal to her sister's LPS radio control car in her mind (even though the shoes are 6x the price of the toy car). Of my 3, the oldest is far more likely to be upset if she thinks she got 'less' than the others. She's not neccessarily greedy, it makes her feel less important. This will be the first year of few toys for DD9, so I feel like I need to plan carefully so everyone feels like they have a good Christmas.

I have 2 that still want toys and DD9 who thinks she wants toys, but never plays with them. Even though the things she would really like are pricier, she's not mature enough to think "Sure, bro got 6 packs of Transformers, but look at my cool new video camera!" Somehow, I doubt the TwinkleToes she's been asking for will be equal to her sister's LPS radio control car in her mind (even though the shoes are 6x the price of the toy car). Of my 3, the oldest is far more likely to be upset if she thinks she got 'less' than the others. She's not neccessarily greedy, it makes her feel less important. This will be the first year of few toys for DD9, so I feel like I need to plan carefully so everyone feels like they have a good Christmas.

My DD9 is still into certain toys mainly Barbie type dolls (disney princess & prince too) lego friends, wii games and crafts. She has also asked for a basketball goal and ball. Considering she is already over 5 feet tall I want to get her one.