Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

DH and I are contemplating getting a tablet for our older girls as a 'big' Santa gift this year, but I'm not stuck on name brands.. my only preference is that it has an Android operating system. I've seen a few for under $100 on WM, so we'll probably go with one of them.

DD has asked for a Ipod touch this year but I am really liking the looks of the nabi2, who wants to take a gander at the probability of these going on sale for BF???

I really doubt they will be on sale. They just came out, I believe in June or July. I noticed that a few of our Walmart stores that carry them are already on limited stock or sold out. so, I am afraid that they will be gone within a month or two.

We are going to put one on layaway. If they do happen to go on sale BF, then I will just buy one BF, finish out the layaway, and either return it or just sell it...

Please please don't buy one of those no name tablets for under $200. They are completely worthless.

I had no idea that the new Kindle Fire was going to be $160! DD wants one and at that price I may get DS one too. :) I don't suppose they will be any cheaper before Xmas?

I just saw this. A new tablet geared towards kids coming out from Toys R Us. I do't hae younger kids mine are 14 and almost 17 but thought those looking for their kids this is another option.

http://www.talkandroid.com/131344-toys-r-us-set-to-release-exclusive-tabeo-7-kid-friendly-tablet/

http://www.talkandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Toys_R_US-tabeo_01-420x229.jpg?3995d3

http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=12807709&camp=redirect:redirect:TRU:tabeo:80212

I just saw this. A new tablet geared towards kids coming out from Toys R Us. I do't hae younger kids mine are 14 and almost 17 but thought those looking for their kids this is another option.

http://www.talkandroid.com/131344-toys-r-us-set-to-release-exclusive-tabeo-7-kid-friendly-tablet/

http://www.talkandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Toys_R_US-tabeo_01-420x229.jpg?3995d3

http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=12807709&camp=redirect:redirect:TRU:tabeo:80212

I saw this earlier on their facebook page. I started reading the comments and several people said that their specs do not even compare with the nabi2. But, I will definitely be doing some research on it.. It is 50.00 less than the Nabi2 but the closest toyrus to us is 2 hours away and I am planning on putting the electronics on layaway..

ok..now my boys are saying that they may want a tablet. They are older (14) so I am really looking into the Kindle Fire since this seems to be such a popular option. I see that with the newer Kindle Fire (not HD) you can access facebook..Can you access Facebook on the older model as well? I would love to be able to get them one each. I am pretty sure that Amazon/Walmart will have some bundle deals BF or the weeks before/after on the older model. This would allow me to be able to get them one each...

Yes you can access Facebook on the older Kindles.

Another option is to preorder the newer ones and every week buy Amazon gift cards and apply to the order. On Amazon you are not billed until your item ships. (I have done it before on pre orders its kind of like a layaway online) I have preordered 2 of the HD Kindles and every week I buy an Amazon gift card (no handling charges) on Amazon have it emailed to me and take the code # and apply it to my order. By the time November 20th comes around they will both be paid off. If I decide I don't want to get them I can always cancel my order with no penalty before they are shipped and my gift cards are put back on my account for future purchases. Buying the Kindles at Amazon I a also saving the tax I would pay in a brick and mortar store.

I shop a lot on Amazon for the holidays and all year round.

ok..now my boys are saying that they may want a tablet. They are older (14) so I am really looking into the Kindle Fire since this seems to be such a popular option. I see that with the newer Kindle Fire (not HD) you can access facebook..Can you access Facebook on the older model as well? I would love to be able to get them one each. I am pretty sure that Amazon/Walmart will have some bundle deals BF or the weeks before/after on the older model. This would allow me to be able to get them one each...

Another option is to preorder the newer ones and every week buy Amazon gift cards and apply to the order. On Amazon you are not billed until your item ships. (I have done it before on pre orders its kind of like a layaway online) I have preordered 2 of the HD Kindles and every week I buy an Amazon gift card (no handling charges) on Amazon have it emailed to me and take the code # and apply it to my order. By the time November 20th comes around they will both be paid off. If I decide I don't want to get them I can always cancel my order with no penalty before they are shipped and my gift cards are put back on my account for future purchases. Buying the Kindles at Amazon I a also saving the tax I would pay in a brick and mortar store.

Thank you so much. The new Fire is going to ship the 14th of this month and the HD version (7") is going to ship the 24th this month unless I get the 250.00 version...I am just not sure if I can come up with that amount of money by then.....but I guess I could cancel if I needed to.

I have never bought anything big from Amazon and didn't realize that you could do this. I will definitely try to use this in the future..

How would the Fire compare to a Samsung Galaxy (the one with Android 4.0)?

Since that only works with the expensive model. I preordered the expensive model and am paying on it. The week before it ships, I will cancel that preorder and the money will go back in my amazon account. I will then just purchase the kindle outright on amazon. I will not buy a kindle from walmart. If you buy from amazon you have until january 31 to return, walmart only allows 2 weeks. Also no tax and amazon has much better customer service that far outweighs any benefits walmart may offer.

I pre ordered the 8.9inch HD that is shipping on 11/20 so I have quite a bit of time to start applying gift cards. I usually apply Amazon gift cards to my account all year so when I do order I have the option to use the gift card or not. This way if I am a little short I always have a credit with them lol

The Samsung Galaxy is a full Android tablet meaning that you have access to Google Play Store and you can also download the Amazon app store and get apps from them (they offer a free app every day). The Kindles do not have a full android operating system so there is no access to Google Play Store unless you root the tablet and then your warranty is voided with Amazon. Also the Samsung I think has 2 cameras and also a slot for added memory via a microsd card. The Kindles only have 1 camera and no sd slot but you do have access to the Amazon Cloud free for all Amazon purchased stuff and there is a fee for other stuff not bought from Amazon.

Those were the main reasons I did not go with a Kindle Fire last year for my teens now 16 and 14. I ended up getting DS16 the Asus Transformer 10 inch 16gb and gave him a 16gb microsd card now he has 32gb of memory. (purchased it on BF from BB for $249) DD14 got the 10inch Acer Iconia A500 with 16gb and additional 16gb microsd card. I got a really good deal on it ended up paying $189 at Kmart on BF. I was originally getting her the 7inch Acer from BB that was $189 on BF last year. We use their tablets for recording their swim meets so having the 2nd camera is great.

This year the tablets are for me and DH so I have reserved the 8.9inch HDs but will be watching the ads on BF in case there are some deals on tablets again.

Thank you so much. The new Fire is going to ship the 14th of this month and the HD version (7") is going to ship the 24th this month unless I get the 250.00 version...I am just not sure if I can come up with that amount of money by then.....but I guess I could cancel if I needed to.

I have never bought anything big from Amazon and didn't realize that you could do this. I will definitely try to use this in the future..

How would the Fire compare to a Samsung Galaxy (the one with Android 4.0)?

So if you were buying for a teen would you go with the Fire or another tablet. I need to stay under the 250.00 mark, preferably less so I can get them both one... I am just not sure what are decent brands are what are not..

Thanks.

I pre ordered the 8.9inch HD that is shipping on 11/20 so I have quite a bit of time to start applying gift cards. I usually apply Amazon gift cards to my account all year so when I do order I have the option to use the gift card or not. This way if I am a little short I always have a credit with them lol

The Samsung Galaxy is a full Android tablet meaning that you have access to Google Play Store and you can also download the Amazon app store and get apps from them (they offer a free app every day). The Kindles do not have a full android operating system so there is no access to Google Play Store unless you root the tablet and then your warranty is voided with Amazon. Also the Samsung I think has 2 cameras and also a slot for added memory via a microsd card. The Kindles only have 1 camera and no sd slot but you do have access to the Amazon Cloud free for all Amazon purchased stuff and there is a fee for other stuff not bought from Amazon.

Those were the main reasons I did not go with a Kindle Fire last year for my teens now 16 and 14. I ended up getting DS16 the Asus Transformer 10 inch 16gb and gave him a 16gb microsd card now he has 32gb of memory. (purchased it on BF from BB for $249) DD14 got the 10inch Acer Iconia A500 with 16gb and additional 16gb microsd card. I got a really good deal on it ended up paying $189 at Kmart on BF. I was originally getting her the 7inch Acer from BB that was $189 on BF last year. We use their tablets for recording their swim meets so having the 2nd camera is great.

This year the tablets are for me and DH so I have reserved the 8.9inch HDs but will be watching the ads on BF in case there are some deals on tablets again.

I do like the fact that you have until January 31 to return. If we decide to go with the Kindle then i will more than likely get it from Amazon after reading everyone's comments.

Since that only works with the expensive model. I preordered the expensive model and am paying on it. The week before it ships, I will cancel that preorder and the money will go back in my amazon account. I will then just purchase the kindle outright on amazon. I will not buy a kindle from walmart. If you buy from amazon you have until january 31 to return, walmart only allows 2 weeks. Also no tax and amazon has much better customer service that far outweighs any benefits walmart may offer.

Well as I said last year I did not choose the Kindle for my teens since I know they preferred the Google Play store. I have not regretted my decision. This year if I was getting it for them since it is nicer than last years I may have gotten it for them since now they use our Amazon Prime account to watch a lot of movies. They can also use it their current tablets also.

I personally would wait to see what the ads will be like. If they are anything like last years there will be deals on tablets especially if you are willing to camp out. If not then the Kindle Fire HD seems to be quite nice. For DH it will work really well and we are thinking of giving one to his Dad also. I know quite a few teens who have the original Fire and they are happy with it. For mine the original was not ok since it had no cameras but that has changed with the new HDs.

Something else you could look into is SquareTrade Warranty to protect your investment. I just saw Amazon has their extended warranty for $89.99 for 2 years. SquareTrade is $44.99 for 2 years for the Kindle Fire and $54.99 (other tablets up to $500), $22.99 (for a $249 tablet).

So if you were buying for a teen would you go with the Fire or another tablet. I need to stay under the 250.00 mark, preferably less so I can get them both one... I am just not sure what are decent brands are what are not..

Thanks.

Edited by racerfan

Thank you so much! I may go ahead and pre-order the more expensive kindle. That way I will have longer to pay on it. Then, if I see they have a better deal, I can use the money that I have put towards the kindle for another gift from amazon...I already have 25.00 worth of gift cards to Amazon..

Well as I said last year I did not choose the Kindle for my teens since I know they preferred the Google Play store. I have not regretted my decision. This year if I was getting it for them since it is nicer than last years I may have gotten it for them since now they use our Amazon Prime account to watch a lot of movies. They can also use it their current tablets also.

I personally would wait to see what the ads will be like. If they are anything like last years there will be deals on tablets especially if you are willing to camp out. If not then the Kindle Fire HD seems to be quite nice. For DH it will work really well and we are thinking of giving one to his Dad also. I know quite a few teens who have the original Fire and they are happy with it. For mine the original was not ok since it had no cameras but that has changed with the new HDs.

Something else you could look into is SquareTrade Warranty to protect your investment. I just saw Amazon has their extended warranty for $89.99 for 2 years. SquareTrade is $44.99 for 2 years for the Kindle Fire and $54.99 (other tablets up to $500), $22.99 (for a $249 tablet).

I got my teen the Toshiba Thrive last year. That was the best option for him. We looked at the Fires but that wouldn't work for a few reasons. First, it is very small, and we thought the bigger size would be better. He doesn't have very good eyesight. Also, the reason for the purchase was to take notes in class. So it needed to be big enough to use for that. Also, the cases with the keyboards was a plus, so he could type easier in class. Also, for the reasons listed above, cameras, SD slot, and Google Play store. We have a Netflix account, so he can watch TV shows and movies.

So your kids are able to use their Amazon Prime benefits on their tablets? I was thinking of getting the Kindle Fire HD to be able to utilize my Prime benefits but I didn't know I could do that on other tablets (like watch Prime movies/TV shows, etc). That would open up a lot more doors tablet wise!

I have been wanting a tablet for over a year but have yet to pull the trigger because I'm afraid to make the wrong choice! I'd like to stay under the $300 range (but would be willing to invest more for a quality tablet I could use long term). I need Flash, so the iPad is out (as much as I love it). I don't need the tablet to do anything crazy - just run apps, check emails, access internet, etc. I would like to be able to view PDF/Word/Excel type documents for school. I have heard some App Stores have office/document type apps (can anyone confirm this?). A camera would def be nice for Skype usage. Size doesn't really matter. I like the bigger tablets but if I found a great 7 inch one, I'd be fine with that too!

Anyone have any recommendations? I almost purchased a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab or Kindle Fire last year but just never committed to it.

Yes I just asked my DS16 and he says he watches Amazon Prime on his Asus Transformer, his Xbox, our TV downstairs using our Blu Ray player with apps and also on my bedroom tv.

So your kids are able to use their Amazon Prime benefits on their tablets? I was thinking of getting the Kindle Fire HD to be able to utilize my Prime benefits but I didn't know I could do that on other tablets (like watch Prime movies/TV shows, etc). That would open up a lot more doors tablet wise!

I have been wanting a tablet for over a year but have yet to pull the trigger because I'm afraid to make the wrong choice! I'd like to stay under the $300 range (but would be willing to invest more for a quality tablet I could use long term). I need Flash, so the iPad is out (as much as I love it). I don't need the tablet to do anything crazy - just run apps, check emails, access internet, etc. I would like to be able to view PDF/Word/Excel type documents for school. I have heard some App Stores have office/document type apps (can anyone confirm this?). A camera would def be nice for Skype usage. Size doesn't really matter. I like the bigger tablets but if I found a great 7 inch one, I'd be fine with that too!

Anyone have any recommendations? I almost purchased a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab or Kindle Fire last year but just never committed to it.

All this info has been so helpful to me. Thanks everyone!! I have decided to get dd10 a tablet since dd4 has her LeapPad (will be upgraded to a Innotab2 for Christmas). I was leaning towards the nabi2 cause it was specifically for kids, but since coming here and reading all the responses, I have decided on the Kindle Fire for $159. I do like that they'll be introducing Kindle FreeTime soon.

So now the big question is: how hard will they be to get as it starts getting closer to Christmas? Well, the holiday shopping season, in general? I don't have the $$ to preorder it now, but I def want to get it by the end of October (or sooner). Since its new, do you think they'll be offering any incentives with it (ex. gc or something bundled like an accessory)?

If you are wanting flash, You are SOL for any tablet. It was posted this week on the amazon kindle forums that flash has ended their applications on all tablets and phones, so no new devices will carry flash and all old devices will no longer have flash support. As for the camera on the new kindle, it is a front facing camera for skype. We don't know yet, if it will do photos. FOr the poster wanting to know about bundling. Amazon does not do that. Once in a while, the amazon customers who have kindles with special offers will be offered a deal with maybe 40 off a new kindle, but amazon NEVER bundles kindles with accessories.

I have a kindle fire and absolutely love it. My DDs 3 and 8 use it all the time also. I am thinking about getting them each one for Christmas since the newer models are cheaper. I would highly recommend it. The kids love all the available apps. Many are free or 99 cents. I would also recommend buying it from amazon. DH got mine from there last year. I had a problem with it about two weeks ago where it wouldn't charge. I called customer service and they mailed me a new one and sent me shipping for the old one. It was very easy. I also have a prime account so the kids use it to stream movies.

I have a kindle fire and absolutely love it. My DDs 3 and 8 use it all the time also. I am thinking about getting them each one for Christmas since the newer models are cheaper. I would highly recommend it. The kids love all the available apps. Many are free or 99 cents. I would also recommend buying it from amazon. DH got mine from there last year. I had a problem with it about two weeks ago where it wouldn't charge. I called customer service and they mailed me a new one and sent me shipping for the old one. It was very easy. I also have a prime account so the kids use it to stream movies.

Thanks..I am still so unsure what I want to do. The Nabi2 is nice for kids but it is 200.00 plus tax if I put it on layaway at Walmart and I would only have 2 weeks to take it back, so that is only a few days after Christmas.

I've heard several others say that they pre-order one of the more expensive kindles (amazon) and use gift cards to put towards it, then cancel and their balance goes back into their amazon account. Do you think I will actually be able to get a cheaper version around mid-end November? I am just so concerned about it being gone before I can get one...

Last year everyone was worried that Amazon would not have enough Kindle Fires to last for the holidays. There was no shortage of them at all.

Thanks..I am still so unsure what I want to do. The Nabi2 is nice for kids but it is 200.00 plus tax if I put it on layaway at Walmart and I would only have 2 weeks to take it back, so that is only a few days after Christmas.

I've heard several others say that they pre-order one of the more expensive kindles (amazon) and use gift cards to put towards it, then cancel and their balance goes back into their amazon account. Do you think I will actually be able to get a cheaper version around mid-end November? I am just so concerned about it being gone before I can get one...

Thank you...I may go ahead and do that then...

Which the boys are old enough that even if they are gone they could wait until there were more or choose a different tablet.

Last year everyone was worried that Amazon would not have enough Kindle Fires to last for the holidays. There was no shortage of them at all.

Got it, thanks for the head's up. So if my classes have websites that run with Shockwave, I will not be able to access these sites on ANY tablet, correct?

If you are wanting flash, You are SOL for any tablet. It was posted this week on the amazon kindle forums that flash has ended their applications on all tablets and phones, so no new devices will carry flash and all old devices will no longer have flash support. As for the camera on the new kindle, it is a front facing camera for skype. We don't know yet, if it will do photos. FOr the poster wanting to know about bundling. Amazon does not do that. Once in a while, the amazon customers who have kindles with special offers will be offered a deal with maybe 40 off a new kindle, but amazon NEVER bundles kindles with accessories.