Walmart open on thanksgiving?

mrsbmb

I was in my walmart today and they had thanksgiving hours (wish i paid attention to the times) listed on the store door near the normal hours.. i thought they closed thanksgiving? wonder if there is going to be a surprize sale like K-mart has on thanksgiving? Is it normal for walmart to be open on thanksgiving? ours is not a 24 hr store. kathy

When the founder of Walmart was alive he always closed all WM on thanksgiving to give employees time with their friends. But after he passed away his children decided to open up. They had huge article the first year they stayed open. But his family wanted to add more shopping days for the consumer.

When the founder of Walmart was alive he always closed all WM on thanksgiving to give employees time with their friends. But after he passed away his children decided to open up. They had huge article the first year they stayed open. But his family wanted to add more shopping days for the consumer.

I saw something online that pointed out the irony that Walmart will not permit it's associates to say "Merry Christmas" yet they still close on Christmas Day. Remember when all stores were closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas?

There is absolutely nothing that says our employees can not say Merry Christmas. The theme for this season is "Home for the holiday" which encompasses everything from Thanksgiving through New Years. We have many different customers and should respect all their varied beliefs and traditions. Respectfully if I don't know you personally and know your background it could be insulting to wish you a happy, merry, etc holiday that you do not believe in.

There is absolutely nothing that says our employees can not say Merry Christmas. The theme for this season is "Home for the holiday" which encompasses everything from Thanksgiving through New Years. We have many different customers and should respect all their varied beliefs and traditions. Respectfully if I don't know you personally and know your background it could be insulting to wish you a happy, merry, etc holiday that you do not believe in.

That may be your store. When I worked at Wal-Mart we were all instructed not to say Merry Christmas or anything else that referred to a specific holiday. We could only say Happy Holidays. And that was true at both stores that I worked in.

More shopping days for the consumer but another day of agony for the Wal-Mart worker. ;)

I was in my walmart today and they had thanksgiving hours (wish i paid attention to the times) listed on the store door near the normal hours.. i thought they closed thanksgiving? wonder if there is going to be a surprize sale like K-mart has on thanksgiving? Is it normal for walmart to be open on thanksgiving? ours is not a 24 hr store. kathy

I live in Maryland and I just found out that the Walmart SuperCenter will stay open for Thanksgiving and they are a 24 hour one, so lucky for me I won't have to wait in the cold this year!

I'm not sure about Walmart hours, but personally I think it is greedy and it sucks!!! No, I don't work for them...I'm a Stay at Home (not mom :) ). But people should really have a few holidays to be with family. Why do stores feel so compelled to get every dime out of the consumer! It really frosts my cookies when people are open Thanksgiving and Christmas. My husband and I NEVER patronize a store on these days...not even a 7-11 for gas. Corporate America needs to be a little less greedy in my opinion and respect their workers! People will tell you that EMPLOYEES used to have more loyalty to their workplace...true...but EMPLOYERS also used to respect the people that keep thier companies running, even on the lowest levels.

...........getting off my soapbox, thanks for listening.................................

That may be your store. When I worked at Wal-Mart we were all instructed not to say Merry Christmas or anything else that referred to a specific holiday. We could only say Happy Holidays. And that was true at both stores that I worked in.

I worked for Wal-Mart twice, (IL and IA) and we were told that we could only say "Happy Holiday's."

I have to check and see if our Walmart is open, but I bet their sale if any will beat Kmart's sale. It may seem like they shouldn't be open, but there are employees that may need the money and want to work. There are 3 sides to this, the employers, employees and the truth.

I'm not sure about Walmart hours, but personally I think it is greedy and it sucks!!! No, I don't work for them...I'm a Stay at Home (not mom :) ). But people should really have a few holidays to be with family. Why do stores feel so compelled to get every dime out of the consumer! It really frosts my cookies when people are open Thanksgiving and Christmas. My husband and I NEVER patronize a store on these days...not even a 7-11 for gas. Corporate America needs to be a little less greedy in my opinion and respect their workers! People will tell you that EMPLOYEES used to have more loyalty to their workplace...true...but EMPLOYERS also used to respect the people that keep thier companies running, even on the lowest levels.

...........getting off my soapbox, thanks for listening.................................

Totally agree with you. We do not patronize any store on Thxsgivng or Xmas, with the exception of a gas station once (never bothered me about the gas stations since the majority around here are Arab/Muslim owned , they don't celebrate Christmas anyways)

Totally agree with you. We do not patronize any store on Thxsgivng or Xmas, with the exception of a gas station once (never bothered me about the gas stations since the majority around here are Arab/Muslim owned , they don't celebrate Christmas anyways)

:violin:

You are hilarious! Arabs/Muslims are not the only one's that do not "celebrate" your holidays. There are many religions and people of other customs who treat these days like every other day and it is annoying when everything is closed among other reasons!

:violin:

You are hilarious! Arabs/Muslims are not the only one's that do not "celebrate" your holidays. There are many religions and people of other customs who treat these days like every other day and it is annoying when everything is closed among other reasons!

I completely agree with you. Especially considering that many people that work at stores such as Walmart during the holidays are doing so because they NEED THE MONEY! They have a 'regular' job and work retail because the hours work around their 'regular' job hours. My husband works almost every holiday. They fight over who gets to work the holidays. Can't beat overtime for regular work. This year we'll have Thanksgiving lunch as he's working a night shift that day.

Well, perhaps you work in a store which is more enlightened or which is more selective when following the corporate line. However, I am somewhat surprised that you are not aware that there has been considerable discussion across the nation this week regarding WalMart's change from the "Merry Christmas" greeting to the more generic "Happy Holidays".

I understand the insulting point, however, it has come across in the media and in the corporate statements as if the word "Christmas" should not be said by any WalMart employee, even if you know the customer celebrates Christmas. Given the enormous amount of money WalMart makes over the holidays, mostly relating to Christmas, others might feel that Christmas should be mentioned. Other stores have learned this lesson from decreased sales, although I don't think that will necessarily happen to WalMart. However, it's also worth noting that WalMart was concerned enough about a potential Christian boycott, led by the Catholic League, in response to an inflammatory email and the way the website was designed, that WalMart rapidly apologized, fired the emailer and fixed the website. They also close all of their stores only on Christmas Day.

Just so you know, the individual at WalMart who publically stated this policy is a Dan Fogleman, Senior Manager, Public Relations. His email has already been posted online and I suspect you should be able to access it internally if necessary. Maybe you didn't get the memo, or maybe you have enough sense to apply it with common sense. In either case, Mer...er... Happy Holidays!