Which Digital Camera for Toddlers?

Novac

My wife would like to buy a digital camera for our 4-year-old this year. (No way am I paying that money to have lousy photos developed!)

Given that quality is not a concern, which camera would you recommend for a toddler?

My Goals:

• Under $100
  • Durable
  • Digital

As for the $100 limit, I'm hoping that a couple cheap cameras will have further discounts on BF.

Buy a cheap digital camera and print the pictures off of your computer. Or print them at Walmart for I believe 12 cents a pic.

I'm sure there will be alot of pictures that make you wonder "What the heck is that?" :gd_stars:

It's a cute idea.. "The World According To Our 4 Year Old" but there is no telling what you will see. :D

I forgot to add.. At our Dollar Tree store they care 20 4x6 photo paper for $1. So if you wanted to print them out for yourself, that would be a cheap way.

Just make sure that after he/she starts taking pics, that you post them somewhere on the forums. I would love to see them.

Good luck!!

When I read the title to this thread I thought, "Why would anyone buy a digital camera for a 4 yr old? CRAZY!" :confused: but............now that I'm reading the posts and thinking about it more I think I might get one for my 4 yr old. I didn't realize I could get one that cheap. He is always wanting to play with mine so he would LOVE that.

Novac, I don't think you're crazy anymore.:grandpa:

When I read the title to this thread I thought, "Why would anyone buy a digital camera for a 4 yr old? CRAZY!" :confused: but............now that I'm reading the posts and thinking about it more I think I might get one for my 4 yr old. I didn't realize I could get one that cheap. He is always wanting to play with mine so he would LOVE that.

Novac, I don't think you're crazy anymore.:grandpa:

OMGosh I had the same revolution. My daughters are constanly losing my battery cuz they keep wanting to play w/ mine. If I got them their own(and it would actually cost less than most of the toys I am getting them) maybe they would leave mine alone.

OMGosh I had the same revolution. My daughters are constanly losing my battery cuz they keep wanting to play w/ mine. If I got them their own(and it would actually cost less than most of the toys I am getting them) maybe they would leave mine alone.

You had a revolution over a digicam? Wow. Now I could see if you'd had a REVELAION....lol

Gosh, just go to walmart and get the 2.1mp camera for $29 .. skip the BF rush.

Any details on this camera? I am in the same situation, I have a ton of disposables that need to be developed for my 5yo. I'm not ready for her to start using my digital or k1000.

Any details on this camera? I am in the same situation, I have a ton of disposables that need to be developed for my 5yo. I'm not ready for her to start using my digital or k1000.

My DH & I saw them last weekend. They have 2.1MP's and 3.1MPs. You know where the extra camera cases/battery packs are? They're hanging with them in blister packages. The 2.1MPs are around $29.xx and the 3.1MPs are around $50 (give or take, I can't 100% remember because I just glanced at them). I know the 3.1mp cameras have a 1.2 (maybe 1.5) inch LCD preview screen, as well. 8MB internal memory, if I'm not mistaken.

Guest all2tired
Even though it's a cute idea, I still don't think a 4 yo needs a digital camera but that's just me. I'd go and buy some disposible cameras for her to play with. JMO

I saw in Family Circle magazine a Barbie locket digital camera. It's adorable and I so wish they would have had them for my kids. It says it has but 2 buttons on it, holds 50 photos, comes with editing software and it's a webcam. From Disney Electronics $30 disneyelectronics.com

I saw in Family Circle magazine a Barbie locket digital camera. It's adorable and I so wish they would have had them for my kids. It says it has but 2 buttons on it, holds 50 photos, comes with editing software and it's a webcam. From Disney Electronics $30 disneyelectronics.com

Wow! That's a great idea for DD5. She also has a birthday on January 1st, ao that might work out great!

You had a revolution over a digicam? Wow. Now I could see if you'd had a REVELAION....lol

Well...I didn't have a revelaion either(not sure what that is)...I meant a revelation...lol.

Editing to note...Once I reread this it didn't sound as funny as I was trying to be...I know yours was a typo...as mine was a brain error...lol.

Another idea would be a better one for you and give the older one to your child.

I think Alan would have trouble with the shutter lag on my old Olympus - it's tempermental.

Now that is a great idea! I have been looking for a reason to buy me a new one.:D My 15 yr old is always wanting to use mine and it's sounds like yours - it's tempermental also.

My granddaughter uses our HP Photosmart 612 (3.1 mexapixel) that cost us $95 on sale. It has the LCD screen on the back so she can see the picture as she is setting it up. Viewfinders don't work for the little kids. She has used it since she was 4. She never dropped the camera once, and gets great shots. I had her take pictures of a fund raising event (she is now 6) and we used a couple of them on marketing materials. You would be surprised at how many of her pictures we have kept.

Guest BrownCow

Even though it's a cute idea, I still don't think a 4 yo needs a digital camera but that's just me. I'd go and buy some disposible cameras for her to play with. JMO

I originally went with disposable cameras for our kids and quickly changed my tune. You could easily spend more than enough to buy a basic digital camera after only a few disposables. In my experience, 90% of pictures taken by a youngster on a disposable camera are worthless. So you spend at least $8 for a couple of pictures. That gets old real quick. With a digital they can shoot to their heart's content and you only pay to process the good ones for less than 20 cents each.

The best part is that many of our favorite home pictures and movies were taken by our kids. Far more creative than their parents... In fact, we got our kids digitals before we got one for ourselves and they love them. Get ones that can use rechargeable AA batteries and even extra batteries are cheap. And, in a pinch, they can use alkalines. I made it clear that if they were not careful with their camera and broke it then they would be without a camera. No problems...they take care of them just fine because it's a favorite item.

BTW, it's generally cheaper to upload your images to Walmart, Costco, Sam's, etc. for printing rather than printing at home. The ink and paper costs far more than what it costs to have them commercially printed. And sometimes it takes 2 or 3 trys to get the color right, etc. If a commercial photo processor messes up the color the reprint is free... As a result, my photo printer is in the closet and I use a b&w laser printer for everything...very cheap to operate.