Santa presents vs Mom/Dad presents

EmmyNavasMom

We go at it a different way. We have told our kids that even though Santa delivers the gifts on Christmas Eve, Mommy and Daddy have to pay for them. We tell them that we discuss "things" with Santa before Christmas, and he brings what we 'put in a order for".

I know some people may think that's silly,but it takes care of the question that most kids have of "Why does Santa give some kids hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of stuff and some kids get nothing?" It also takes care of the question that you asked about how to differentiate gifts from parents and Santa. In our house, they're from both. It's worked well for us.

Lori P.:)

oo that's genius! :g_thumpsu

We go at it a different way. We have told our kids that even though Santa delivers the gifts on Christmas Eve, Mommy and Daddy have to pay for them. We tell them that we discuss "things" with Santa before Christmas, and he brings what we 'put in a order for".

I know some people may think that's silly,but it takes care of the question that most kids have of "Why does Santa give some kids hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of stuff and some kids get nothing?" Lori P.:)

Wow that is a good idea. The question has never come up, but I will remember this one. Thanks. :D

In our house, Santa brings 3 gifts (just like the wise men) and the stocking stuffers. They are wrapped in paper that mommy would NEVER have in the house (Barbie or Toy Story or Princess...). The rest of the presents are from various family members. Every now and again, Santa MAY leave an extra gift...you just never know!:D

DS is now 20 and DD is 7 and I hope they believe forever!!!

In our house, Santa brings 3 gifts (just like the wise men) and the stocking stuffers. They are wrapped in paper that mommy would NEVER have in the house (Barbie or Toy Story or Princess...). The rest of the presents are from various family members. Every now and again, Santa MAY leave an extra gift...you just never know!:D

This is exactly what we do! When my dd#1 was 3yrs we started a tradition of choosing a child from the salvation army tree- usually a girl her age- and bought lots of things for her. To explain why poorer families didn't get as many presents at Xmas as we did I explained that Santa gave each child who believed in him 3 presents (like the wise men) and the rest came from family. I told her that kids who didn't have extra clothes, shoes & food would ask for that from Santa so we wanted to make sure we gave them some toys too. In better $ years we even adopted a family. Now we're back to each of my dds' buying for another little girl. (leaner times!) My girls still get lots at xmas but I am making every $ work for me. It was important for me that my girls understood that Santa wasn't ignoring less fortunate families or that we were 'better' than them. So now the 3 Santa gifts are unwrapped and all of ours are wrapped- I should have started it the other way- would have saved myself a lot of time!

Santa gives the "main" present (unwrapped) & the we wrap the rest of them. I do like the idea of 3 presents (wise men)...might have to try that next year. My kid's are going to hate me this year...they all are in desperate need of clothes & we are giving them mainly clothes underneath the tree!!!

Your kid is 20 and still believes in Santa? I'm 18 and not that retarded? Is he Retarded? Please Clarify

Here, ALL presents are wrapped and there's usually 2-3 from Santa (depending on how many gifts total there are). It's usually a half and half thing though. All from Santa are wrapped in different paper though. Last year, however, Santa had to "borrow" some of our wrapping paper because he ran out in the North Pole :giggle:

I know some people may think that's silly,but it takes care of the question that most kids have of "Why does Santa give some kids hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of stuff and some kids get nothing?" It also takes care of the question that you asked about how to differentiate gifts from parents and Santa. In our house, they're from both. It's worked well for us.

Lori P.:)

I do this too.

Someone "leaked" to her that Santa brings "whatever you ask for" early last year, so, I started telling her that, no, parents have to help Santa pay for all the toys.

It cuts down on disappointment when they don't get "ridiculous" items. (For ex. She has a nice new "big girl bed" now, but, she saw a dora toddler bed and wanted to ask Santa for that...figuring she would get it BECAUSE she asked for it. But, I don't forsee myself downsizing the bed. At all. So, I just explain to her that it costs too much, etc., and if she got that, she wouldn't be able to get "something else on her list", so she ends up okay with it)

I figured it would also help when she gets "too old for Santa". She'll already know I have a hand in the presents, and a little explanation about "when you reach a certain age, parents take over completely(because of all the "new" children in the world to get for)"...might make things go more smoothly.

"Stick with the lie" :tongue1:

All of our gifts are from Mom & Dad. We don't do the Santa thing in our house. Or the Easter Bunny. Or Tooth Fairy. Our kids will still get plenty of Christmas gifts, Easter gifts, and money for lost teeth, just without any of the fictional characters. Especially for C&E.

Your kid is 20 and still believes in Santa? I'm 18 and not that retarded? Is he Retarded? Please Clarify

What do you mean, retarded? To the contrary! IMO, this 20-year-old has it right. That means he's still getting double presents on Christmas!

We wrap 3 presents from us. They open these Christmas eve. Then Christmas morning there is stuff from santa. But we do not wrap those. Really because we like to have stuff put together. Like this year we bought that sweet sounds dollhouse and it has about 200 stickers so we have that stuff unwrapped. But about 3-4 wrapped from parents

I have a DS6 and DS9. Their gifts from Santa are each wrapped in different special paper with no name tags. Santa leaves 1 present in the stocking that matches the paper the big gifts are wrapped in.

The presents from mom and dad are books and family games. Presents that the whole family can have fun with together. Santa gives them the toys!

My cousin is 37 and still believes in Santa and he isn't retarded, he is autistic. Clear enough?

Usually their best gifts are from Santa, and they are always wrapped. My husband always complains about it, he wants the credit for the good gifts!

The presents that are from Santa, I wrap in "santa paper".... wrapping paper that strictly has a santa theme... like all santa faces or something close to it. and presents from dh and I are wrapped in something else. This year, since she is so into dora, I have bought dora wrapping paper.

Yep, Santa presents are wrapped in Santa paper. This way when dh is handing out presents he can say, "...and this is from Santa!" Everything else is wrapped in themed paper. One year I did different snowmen papers, another it was deer/reindeer, etc. My dh calls me a Martha wannabe. I think not.

When I was little all the presents were form Santa. As I got older and started to recongize mom and dad's handwriting we started getting more from mom and dad and less form santa. I am now 22 and still get gifts from my mom (dad passed away last year) with from santa on them. She has always told my three brothers ( 37,27,25 ) and I that if we don't believe in Santa we don't get anything and I think it's fun to believe in Santa ( I work at ToysRUs so I get kid's asking me all the time if I know Santa and of course I do I have a close personal friendship with him.) 2 of my brothers and I have kids now so the Santa thing has been passed down and even though my 3 month old can't read she will be getting all her gifts from Santa.:giggle:

Our daughter opens gifts from us on Christmas Eve. Santa leaves her presents in a large Santa sack with the larger toys under the tree. Her stocking, as well as ours, are filled and on the floor beside the Santa sack.

She gets mostly games, books, and other toys from us. The larger stuff does come from Santa (at least this year), because it's what she put on her list (i.e. Leapster L-Max and games, tons of Barbies and the playsets, etc)

Santa does not wrap presents in our house. I come from a family of 5 children, so Santa didn't wrap presents when I was growing up either. Makes things much, much easier. To all those parents that manage to wrap Santa and their presents, my hat goes off to you!

On Christmas morning, they wake up and run to see the Santa toys under the tree. Then they will open presents from grandparents etc.

They don't get presents from us --the parents --until Epiphany on January 6. We give our children presents then to commemmorate the visit of the 3 Wise Men. I really like it this way. I found that it extends the Christmas season to more than one day, it allows us to really focus on the story of His birth, it keeps the kids from present overload on Christmas Day -- And more selfishly, I discovered as an after fact that I can get better deals on things with after Christmas sales.

Anyway, we read the story of the visit, bless the House and open presents and eat King Cake. Its pretty nice and relaxed and a fun family tradition.

We wrap santa gifts in paper with santas on it. The kids usually get about half from us and half from santa. Santa is great for the things we said no to and then later realized we would buy. We try to keep special, meaningful things from us. Santa brings general toys from the list, we claim the "most wanted."

What do you mean, retarded? To the contrary! IMO, this 20-year-old has it right. That means he's still getting double presents on Christmas!

:sidesplit:sidesplit:sidesplit I kinda wondered myself when reading that other post if the 20 year old really believes in Santa or if the parents just continue to write that on there to continue family tradition or keep the 7 year old believing.

We give a few smaller items as Santa gifts wrapped in special paper. The significant gifts, in size or $$ or whatever, are from mom and dad or the entire family. We decided to do this b/c we want our kids to appreciate what they get. With our oldest it didn't happen if Santa gave the big ones. We want them to be able to say Thank You to a person. Our family does stuff a bit differently b/c my oldest has his own devel. issues and entitlement is a problem. Kids are entitled to a fun Christmas, and to celebrate the meaning of the season, but they need to understand the importance of giving as much or more than just getting. We also have each kid buy and wrap gifts for every family member, starting very early.

Anyway, I wish we could just do the Santa gifts for the big ones, or even most. but it doesn't work for us.

My son knows about Santa as he is 11 yrs old, but plays along for my 5 yr old daughter. Most gifts are from Santa and the rest are from Dad and Mom. Also, one gift is from their brother/sister and one gift from Nana and Grandpa (great grandparents send me $50 each to buy them a gift)