Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2005-06

Gator Pam

Ok, can I ask a dumb question? Do I need to look in the clearance sections for htses finds... or are they ofter located in the reg. priced stuff? Do I write down upc codes and then go looking? Help me please learn the way!!!

It depends on the store. Sometimes they will have the items still in the aisle and stick clearance signs on the items. Other times you can go around the "perimeter" and see the clearnce there. The stores I visit do a mixture of both. I usually go around the perimeter and glance down the aisle to make sure I am not missing any other clearance items. HTH.

And I never write down codes etc because if my store doesn't have it, they don't have it. I just take the time to thoroughly walk down the aisles and look on the ends. That way I find items stuffed behind other things and I find things that no one has noticed yet because it has either just gone on clearance or it was returned and is now on clearance.

In October I went to a Target and found some wall art my daughter really wanted. It was 50 or 75 off so I bought it. It is a small piece, about 4x4 square so thought if I saw the exact same piece at other Targets, I would pick another up so it could be a collage when put together. Anyway, to this day, the other Targets I visit still have this piece of art at regular price. So it pays to take the time and just look cuz you never know what you may find.

Keep in mind, sometimes the best deals aren't marked clearance at all. Rule number one for perimeter perusing is to scan everything you're interested in. You may just find a deal no one else has posted about yet.

My typical trip to Target when I have time to really look for things can take me 180 minutes...

Oh yes, certainly do scan items. Although it can be a bit interesting to scan larger items so it helps to have a scanner with the type in ability. I have carried a chair over to be scanned and my kids are familiar with scanning as they were scanning a duvet cover for me every week we went. Finally, pay dirt! I have both, plus many more clearances in my home!

I have to say thank you for this tread. Because:

I have been shopping at Target for several years now and have never really paid attention to where the clearance items were placed. That is, until I read this thread. I do cards for Target so I am in there twice a week. Today I had extra time and was able to walk around for a bit. While perimeter perusing I found a set of Jersey sheets marked down from $24.99 to $19.99 to $9.99 (I bought these same sheets at this price for DS3) and now $4.98 foar DS2!!! It was with the regular priced Jersey sheets! This was the last set of these sheets. They are extra long but who cares! I'll just tuck them under with the flat sheet and it'll be fine. Just had to share since I wouldn't have did the perimeter if it wasn't for this thread being on my mind.

I'm a happy camper! I found a Hanes body slimmer with a clearance tag of $7.48, I scanned and it came up 0.00!!! I figured I would name a price of $5 but the cashier didn't even ask. She kept scanning and pressing buttons and what not and then she says that'll be $3.47:D Yay! Still full price on the Smoothie makers though...:tongue1:

ETA: Just my luck, I just took it off the hanger and saw the size. It's a few sizes too big for me:sidesplit

sorry I havent been totally following the discussion here but I wanted to give a little advice about target returns. I recently had an item I needed to return, still had the box and the receipt but the receipt was over 90 days. Sooo, I just put the item back in the box, and returned it without a receipt and they allowed me to exchange it for exact same. They didnt want to do it because the item was over 100$, but it was right at closing time and they did anyway. This will only work if you paid with cash.

sorry I havent been totally following the discussion here but I wanted to give a little advice about target returns. I recently had an item I needed to return, still had the box and the receipt but the receipt was over 90 days. Sooo, I just put the item back in the box, and returned it without a receipt and they allowed me to exchange it for exact same. They didnt want to do it because the item was over 100$, but it was right at closing time and they did anyway. This will only work if you paid with cash.

True, but Target limits each customer to only three returns, and I have heard that three return limit can be longer than a year. You also only get back the lowest known price in the system. So, if you bought the item at retail, and it goes 75% clearance, or even 90% clearance on a seasonal item, that is what they will give you for it if that is the price that comes up in the computer. For an item that retails for over $100, if it goes 75% or 90% off, I would think you would do better to ebay it.

True, but Target limits each customer to only three returns, and I have heard that three return limit can be longer than a year. You also only get back the lowest known price in the system. So, if you bought the item at retail, and it goes 75% clearance, or even 90% clearance on a seasonal item, that is what they will give you for it if that is the price that comes up in the computer. For an item that retails for over $100, if it goes 75% or 90% off, I would think you would do better to ebay it.

You are correct about that, but what I was saying is I returned something that wasnt working and I needed another one just like it. It was a video baby monitor, and I merely wanted to replace it without paying, and I was able to do that this way. Target didn't lose any money because they sent it back to the manufacturer as defective.

Just wondering, I've heard of this return limit before but to date I've never had a problem. I know I've returned much more than 3 items this year. Has anyone ever been turned away from refunding?

Just wondering, I've heard of this return limit before but to date I've never had a problem. I know I've returned much more than 3 items this year. Has anyone ever been turned away from refunding?

Yes, I have! It usually refers to returns where you did not have a receipt and therefore you have to give them some form of identification. Most stores use a seperate company that keeps a database of returns by your drivers license. And because I was making several returns without a receipt to Lowe's etc, I was rejected last year. They will give you a number to call. I spoke to the service rep and she would not give me the number of returns that each store limits, but did show where I had made 3 returns to Lowe's and that it was a mistake to turn me down for a refund. So I make it a point to KEEP MY RECEIPTS so that I will have no more than 3 returns without a receipt. When you return an item with a receipt, they usually don't ask for identification and they can't track you!

You are correct about that, but what I was saying is I returned something that wasnt working and I needed another one just like it. It was a video baby monitor, and I merely wanted to replace it without paying, and I was able to do that this way. Target didn't lose any money because they sent it back to the manufacturer as defective.

I actually had a problem doing an exchange at Target. I had bought DH a pack of undershirts. I got the wrong size and wanted the exact same thing in a different size. Because I didnt' have my receipt handy they were going to credit me the lowest price in the system. I argued and argued, but the manager insisted that it was Target policy. I was steaming!! :mad: I went and got the receipt, went back and shoved it in their faces. They allowed me to do the even exchange. What a bunch of idiots!! Since that episode I have been sure to keep any receipt from Target. I have to say that I have never had such a hard time with a return or even exchange. Sears, Wal-mart, BabiesRus, Old Navy are all really good about returns/exchanges with or without the receipt.

This is a great thread. I have been perimeter shopping at Target now for a few years. I am so glad to see the markdown schedule. Never knew they marked things down on different days. I have noticed though that different Targets in the area carry different markdown prices. I have found items at one that are 75% off, while at another location may be 50% or even 30% off. But then they may have other items that are marked down more as well. I really enjoy reading this kind of information and it helps to know when they mark down items and how long it may take for them to make them down further.

Target's return policy is really bad. I love the store, but I won't buy anything unless I know that I will not return it. Last BF I bought a dvd and when I played it at home it kept skipping in the same place. I tried to exchange it in less than a week with a receipt and they refused to return it because they did not have another copy to give me and the dvd was open. I don't see how that was my problem! I even offered to take a Target gift card to use when they got the dvd in stock, no luck. So I ended up having to wait for them to call other Targets to find one that had that dvd in stock and drive to another Target about 20 miles away. Was not happy that day :mad:

Just the other day I had to exchange a furnace filter because I accidently picked up the wrong size. I waited in line just for the lady to tell me that I needed to go get the one I needed. I then had to wait in line again after I retrieved the correct size furnace filter...ugh!

I rarely have any issues with returning anything to my Target. I never have my receipts...they will just look up my credit card to find my receipts at the store. I return stuff all the time. I buy stuff and bring it home and either it does not look right or I have buyers remorse!

Target will allow you to use a check, credit card, or a debit card to retrieve a sales receipt and you will get the full price you paid, and it will not count against your 3 returns a year. The 3 returns only applies if you use you driver's license to return something with store credit.

Target will allow you to use a check, credit card, or a debit card to retrieve a sales receipt and you will get the full price you paid

I wish all the stores would do this...It would save them and the customer a lot of grief. I guess they don't want to make toooooo easy for customers to return products.

Target's return policy is really bad. I love the store, but I won't buy anything unless I know that I will not return it. Last BF I bought a dvd and when I played it at home it kept skipping in the same place. I tried to exchange it in less than a week with a receipt and they refused to return it because they did not have another copy to give me and the dvd was open. I don't see how that was my problem! I even offered to take a Target gift card to use when they got the dvd in stock, no luck. So I ended up having to wait for them to call other Targets to find one that had that dvd in stock and drive to another Target about 20 miles away. Was not happy that day :mad:

Actually a lot of stores have that policy for DVDs, most stores won't let you return an open DVD, only exchange it for the same one.

I wish all the stores would do this...It would save them and the customer a lot of grief. I guess they don't want to make toooooo easy for customers to return products.

You can look up your purchases at Menards now with a check or credit/debit card too. But you still can't at Walmart for some reason.

Guest TammyNJ

OK I just went and tried to find the dollar off coupon at SuperTarget and couldnt find it, do you have the web address??

Thanks, this would be a great deal if I could find the coupon.

Actually a lot of stores have that policy for DVDs, most stores won't let you return an open DVD, only exchange it for the same one.

It's to prevent you from buying the CD, taking it home and burning it, then returning it. The Target I work at lets you exchange it for the exact same title, but they open it before giving it to you, so that you don't just return the unopened copy.

It's to prevent you from buying the CD, taking it home and burning it, then returning it. The Target I work at lets you exchange it for the exact same title, but they open it before giving it to you, so that you don't just return the unopened copy.

Yeah, it makes sense for them to not exchange it for store credit or a gift card if it's opened. Sure, going to another store is sometimes a hassle, but you could have always called before heading out to make sure they had another one in stock for the exchange.

Guest TammyNJ

Thanks Andrea went to on my lunch break and got 4, paid for them one at a time which ticked the cashier off, lol, but I am planning to go back after work for 4 more.

Thanks again, great deal with the Holidays coming and all the extra family and friends over more!

Target has 12 packs of Coke on sale this week 4/$10 and there's a SuperTarget coupon for $1.00 off a 12 pack .. making them $1.50 a 12 pack.

That won't be true, because you will be allowed to use only one coupon. So, it will

be 4/$9... making them $2.25 a 12 pack. Still, a good deal

Guest TammyNJ
I went on today and bought one at a time, total $1.61 each, I live in NJ. I just placed on coupon on each 12 pkg and said I was paying for them separate. Cashier acted annoyed but did it with no questions.