NOAA: El Niño to Help Steer U.S. Winter Weather - Post Your Weather Reports Here!

bigjimslade

So basically they don't really have a clue till the snow starts falling, or in some cases there's a foot already on the ground :D

For real! My area has equal chances of being colder or warmer, drier or wetter than average. Which I guess is why it's called an average. Still, we're due for flurries in the next 24 hours or so...

OMG ANY chance of lower temperatures would be GREAT here in Miami! We're having our first "cold" snap (high of 70, low 58) today and tomorrow, then back to the 80s. It's been in the 90s up until now so far in October! That's nuts even for us. I would really enjoy wearing my sweaters a few extra times this season, so I will be hoping NOAA is right!

For real! My area has equal chances of being colder or warmer, drier or wetter than average. Which I guess is why it's called an average. Still, we're due for flurries in the next 24 hours or so...

*sighs* it's a sad day when my hometown gets flurries before my current home in Alaska does...

The NOAA forecasts for this part of Georgia were consistently wrong last winter. Even the Weather Channel website was more up-to-date and accurate.

Then I found AccuWeather.com and rarely check NOAA or TWC now. Some of the folks who post in the site's forum are better at forecasting winter precipitation than professional meteorologists and I've learned a lot from reading their explanations.

It's been quite awhile since we had a major snow or ice storm. Snow for Christmas would be fantastic!

• 4 weeks later...

Dallas, Texas

Monday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east northeast.

Tuesday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 63.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 47.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 66.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 44.

Thanksgiving Day: Sunny, with a high near 62.