Christmas shopping (merry christmas vs happy holidays)

Guest BargainCat

Saying Christmas in store ads and in the stores  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Saying Christmas in store ads and in the stores

• Agree, Its the reason for our spending,shop where they say Christmas
    • I dont mind Christmas being removed from ads and stores, I shop anywhere
    • I wont spend my money where they dont say Christmas
    • I dont care, will shop where ever its cheap. Christmas is a non issue

Guest BargainCat

It was years before I knew why it was named that . Its because its the first time in the retail year that stores are put into the black ink by the couple of months of Christmas spending - I never knew thats why they called it black friday.

On one of the threads I read this morning some people were talking about how we should support the stores who support gotta deal with enthusiastic shareing of advance deal information - thats a good idea , but it brought something else p to me again ...there was a grass roots movement started a few years ago to support retailers who realized it was Christmas shopping and merchandise that brought them into the black each year and respected that economic reason enough to say and use the word Christmas in thier stores and ads instead of that recent word "Holiday " ( instead of holiday trees, holiday gifts, holiday lights etc etc for everything - you get the picture ) Instead of using the neutral word "holidays" which is what the Jewish people they call their holidays that time of year...thats only a very small part of the buying public that time of year - its arond 2% is what I heard. What the heck is a holiday tree anyway ?? Thats a real insult. All of a sudden its taboo to say the word Christmas which is the reason for the spending season !!

We carry the stores economically for entire year by profits they make during the short Christmas spending season ... and they wont even wish us a merry christmas ! This is a slap in the face to "Christmas" shoppers who make the store's year profitable in that short couple of months with our hard earned dollars - and its even harder now in this terrible economy of job loss and cutting back - we take stores into the black and out of red ink, remember that part - thats why its so upsetting that they wont even use the word Christmas any more.

For this reason alone, the last several years my friends and family and I have all tried to buy most of our gifts and supplies in advance of the Christmas season, and during the actual Christmas buying season support stores like Walmart and others who do play Christmas music and say the word Christmas in the ads. On black Friday again this year I am heading to Walmart (where I dont usually shop ) instead of stores like Target and Kolhs, Kohls actually decorated their stores and thier Christmas trees one year in blue and white and silver Hannuka colors !!! Remember all the blue and white snowflakes in the stores, and blue and silver. That was so insulting that I wont shop there anymore - I like deals and its been a family tradition to go out black friday - but I also like to shop in an atmosphere that supports the reason for all of our spending and puts these stores into the black - So when I see the word Christmas in a store or ad...or hear Christmas music in a store , you can bet I am going to open my wallet and try to buy everything I can there. - How does everyone else feel about this thing - the economic insult of it all when we are the ones - even now in very hard times - who allow these stores to stay afloat by spending there at Christmas ...and they wont even wish us a merry christmas ???

I feel better now after saying all of that. What do you all think ???

There are many different religions in the USA and each one celebrate a different Holiday, that is the reason for using "Holidays" instead of just Christmas. While I understand your point, you may not feel the same if you went to a store that told you Happy Hanukkah when you celebrate Christmas, the same way a person who celebrates Hanukkah might not appreciate being told Merry Christmas. The stores are trying to take everyone into consideration.

Guest BargainCat

I know my Dad won't shop in a place that don't do Christmas cheer, but I will just to get the deals, esp. when it comes to $200 prescriptions.

You betcha ! I dont blame you one single bit when it comes to prescriptions

I was talking about spending on items meant for Christmas at stores who wont even say Christmas

( but I have to admit that after seeing hannuka colors of silver and blue on a christmas tree and all over the store at Kohls ...it was so insulting that I wont even walk into that store anymore )

It doesn't offend me @ all. what about the people that shop this time of the year, not b/c it's Christmas but b/c they can get really good deals. The fact of the matter is that it is the holiday season, it's not 1 holiday it's many: thanksgiving, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, 3 Kings Day and I may even be missing a few.

FYI: Our tree is decorated in blue, white and silver every year b/c we're big Cowboys fans....Whose to say that Kohls decorated their tree with those colors b/c they were consistent with colors that Jewish people use during the holiday season. In fact, I would bet that they probably have a different color scheme every year.

( but I have to admit that after seeing hannuka colors of silver and blue on a christmas tree and all over the store at Kohls ...it was so insulting that I wont even walk into that store anymore )

WOW, that's really hypocritical....so it's OK if a store does YOUR religious holiday but not anyone elses???

Guest BargainCat

FYI: Our tree is decorated in blue, white and silver every year b/c we're big Cowboys fans....Whose to say that Kohls decorated their tree with those colors b/c they were consistent with colors that Jewish people use during the holiday season. In fact, I would bet that they probably have a different color scheme every year.

Uhhhh...maybe it was the little silver and white menorahs that were all over the place that gave me that idea of reference ...or the larger menorahs that were all over the store. The theme was blue, white and silver with the only nod to Christmas being a tree decorated in Hannuka colors ...

Did you know about the Rabbi in Seattle that forced all the Christmas trees to be taken down at the Seattle airport one year when he threatened a law suit to erect a gigantic 30 ft mehorah ? Christmas slowly being extinguished and replaced by "holidays" ...but you probably cant see or acknowledge that. Only when its gone forever and not even called that anymore will some people realize whats being slowly done . But thats the way it goes

Uhhhh...maybe it was the little silver and white menorahs that were all over the place that gave me that idea of reference ...or the larger menorahs that were all over the store. The theme was blue, white and silver with the only nod to Christmas being a tree decorated in Hannuka colors ...

Did you know about the Rabbi in Seattle that forced all the Christmas trees to be taken down at the Seattle airport one year when he threatened a law suit to erect a gigantic 30 ft mehorah ? Christmas slowly being extinguished and replaced by "holidays" ...but you probably cant see or acknowledge that. Only when its gone forever and not even called that anymore will some people realize whats being slowly done . But thats the way it goes

unlike you, I don't have a problem with it even if there were menorahs around. Like speediva said why is it okay for your religion to be shown but not others??

The true mean of Christmas in alive and well within in me everyday because of the way I live my life so I never have to worry about it being taken from me.

Guest BargainCat

to get this back on track - the original post was about all of the SPENDING people who shop for CHRISTMAS do , that supports stores and allows them finally to break a profit in the last couple of months of the year ( due to the spending at CHRISTMAS ) and how they dont even say Merry Christmas anymore or use the word Christmas anywhere in their stores and ads.

Thats the issue, not the thing about there being many religions. Those religions are not the people doing all the spending, the majority store business is caused by Christmas shopping

Okay, I hope I can bring this back on track

to get this back on track - the original post was about all of the SPENDING people who shop for CHRISTMAS do , that supports stores and allows them finally to break a profit in the last couple of months of the year ( due to the spending at CHRISTMAS ) and how they dont even say Merry Christmas anymore or use the word Christmas anywhere in their stores and ads.

Thats the issue, not the thing about there being many religions. Those religions are not the people doing all the spending, the majority store business is caused by Christmas shopping

Okay, I hope I can bring this back on track

How can you say who is shopping for what? I know plenty of people that do not celebrate Christmas that look forward to this time of the year b/c of the deals that they can get.

Guest BargainCat

How can you say who is shopping for what? I know plenty of people that do not celebrate Christmas that look forward to this time of the year b/c of the deals that they can get.

....again, just talking about shopping and spending money on Christmas gifts and supplies and Christmas related items. That should realistically account for the MOST of the dollars being spend during the Christmas shopping season.

I agree that a majority of the population shopping on Black Friday probably does celebrate Christmas rather than another holiday, but I think it's okay to say Happy Holidays because as someone else pointed out, there are several official holidays celebrated between the months of November and December. Whether someone tells me Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas, it's not going to affect my shopping habits. Not that petty!!! And BTW, my Kohl's is decorated for Christmas with red & green. Maybe each store is doing something different, you know, to make sure noone feels left out!

I also don't understand these people who are h*ll bent on removing Christmas decorations. If they celebrate a different holiday and would like to display a giant Menorah, so be it. Put it up!

I am not a big fan of "Happy Holidays" but I can understand why people say it. When it gets said to me, I say "Merry Christmas" because that is my holiday. My mom has a huge problem when people write or say X-mas since it is taking Christs name out of it. It doesn't bother me either way, but because of her, I don't write it or say it.

I am not a big fan of "Happy Holidays" but I can understand why people say it. When it gets said to me, I say "Merry Christmas" because that is my holiday. My mom has a huge problem when people write or say X-mas since it is taking Christs name out of it. It doesn't bother me either way, but because of her, I don't write it or say it.

That is a common argument, but very uninformed.

X actually comes from the original spelling and pronunciation of characters in the greek and other ancient languages.

The X has been an abbreviation (not a replacement) for "Christ" since ancient times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

My answer to the poll is not up there, but here it is anyway. I celebrate Christmas but I know others celebrate other holidays around the same time. I don't like it when people say Happy Holidays but I understand why they do. I want to shop at stores that have Christmas trees and Christmas decorations out. I don't care if they have other religious decorations out too, that is fine with me. I say Merry Christmas. If others want to say Happy Hanuka or Happy Quanza (sp??) to me, I am fine with that. It does not offend me at all.

So my answer is I will shop at stores without Christmas even though it really bothers me.

wow, Do you have problems with other religions, Hanukah is a celebration as is Christmas. are you that one dimentinal that you cannot see this. If happy holiday's bothers you then tell people Merry Christmas. Our schools have Holiday Party's as not to offend other religions. So what is wrong with a 30 foot Menorah If I remember right Jesus was Jewish and celebrated Hanukah. It's a Holiday season just enjoy it and enjoy with family as you never know when you will be alone and have no family left to celebrate with.

I am jewish. I spend money on black friday. I could care less if someone says merry Christmas to me. or happy hannukah. why would that offend you?

Like many Jews in this country I have been exposed to so much passive aggressive religion in public places that it drives me nuts. I like christmas lights - and I like Menorahs. I go out of my way to shop a store that stocks a variety of decorations (Target has been wonderful) but I do not skip some place because someone is of a different belief than I am.

O, and BTW, we call it hannukah, not holidays. Do not presume to speak for us, you are ill informed. ALL holidays are holidays.

For the life of me, I don't know why people have this problem. Both holidays are about miracles, Christmas being the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus and Hannukah celebrating the miracle of the oil in the lamps. Quanza (sp) is about the family and culture of African Americans, at least the best I know.

No matter which holiday we celebrate, let's be good to each other. There is way too much fighting in this old world right now. Lets not argue and and fight amongst ourselves on a web site that most people love. From Santaclaus to all of you:

Merry Christmas.

Happy Hannakah.

Happy Quanza.

Guest BargainCat

again , to bring this back to topic - the subject was that Black friday was named because it was when retailers made their profits for the year. AND how people who spent money on CHRISTMAS ( by far the largest spenders this time of year ) felt about not being wished a Merry Christmas and this biggest retail holiday, Christmas not being mentioned or able to be displayed . I dont give a rats a** how anyone feels about the other religious holidays or what the holidays ...for gods sakes, Im talking about Christmas and the dollars spent on it AND the word being taboo to mention in the retail world

Okay ...can we get back on topic ? Im not even mentioning WHO is behind the stamping out of the mention of Christmas while they are takeing our dollars - you all can be smart enuf to figure out that one for yourself.

again , to bring this back to topic - the subject was that Black friday was named because it was when retailers made their profits for the year. AND how people who spent money on CHRISTMAS ( by far the largest spenders this time of year ) felt about not being wished a Merry Christmas and this biggest retail holiday, Christmas not being mentioned or able to be displayed . I dont give a rats a** how anyone feels about the other religious holidays or what the holidays ...for gods sakes, Im talking about Christmas and the dollars spent on it AND the word being taboo to mention in the retail world

Okay ...can we get back on topic ? Im not even mentioning WHO is behind the stamping out of the mention of Christmas while they are takeing our dollars - you all can be smart enuf to figure out that one for yourself.

What I want to know is why you would come on a forum like this being a new member and post garbage to incite people and you knew that was going to happen. Black Friday has always been known as the beginning of the HOLIDAY SEASON. Not the beginning of the Christmas Season. And I believe you are wrong on people shopping for Christmas are the biggest spenders. Show me the statistics that prove what you are trying to preach here.

Ya, it is just christmas shoppers that bring retailers over the red line... not that 11/12ths of the year have gone by.

And the word being taboo, as you put it, only happens because people get so fanatical about it (both for and against). just smile and take a deep breathe

I will shop where I have to because I can't afford to waste money....if I had more money then perhaps I could be more selective/be able to make a point.

I do not like Happy Holidays....and I do say MERRY CHRISTMAS back....but I wouldn't argue with anyone about it in a store or anything.

I don't feel I have the same views as the OP who developed this poll...

But I do have some issues that bother me--

it seems like students have long gotten school time off in December to go home to celebrate Christmas,(and I could be wrong maybe it was started for some other reason...)

My take on it was that it was Christmas break, free time when people went home to their family and celebrated right? That is what it was called all during my school years...but it is no longer called that......it is WINTER BREAK now....

so it was initially good enough to "use" Christmas (Christ) to get off days of school and everyone was just delighted about it...they did not care how much they said Christmas break this or that.........

Santa Claus = SAINT Nick

I think all religions should be able to display their religious symbols in public, together whenever they wish and no one's should be removed.

I am not trying to aggravate anyone, just saying what I think. I love holidays, and the spirit they usually bring.

Edited by allshoppedout

I mostly shop online and when I hit stores, I am in and out as quickly as I can be. I do, however, like to go out and enjoy the decorations, music, and cheer. Those who decorate get a smaller chunk of my gift money, but I do shop their stores, eat in their restaurants, and spend more time in their malls.

I am jewish as well and spend on black friday. I teach middle school and my students and other staff says merry christmas and I really don't care. I don't attend the christmas party but I don't mind small christmas gifts I recieve. I give students themed or holiday colored pencils. Happy Holidays is easy because 'Happy thanksgiving, merry christmas, happy hanuka, happy kwauza (sp?), happy festivitus, merry yule, joyus winter solitutus" is way too darn long to put on a poster.

I personally love Happy Holidays because it is all inclusive and I consider myself fairly open minded towards others. I will shop where ever has the best deals. That's why I'm here at gotta deal.com, not gotta deal at places that only decorate & say what I like.com

btw...I do participate in Christmas & am doing most of my shopping for Christmas on black friday, and I still don't care how they decorate or what they say. I also LOVE the colors blue & silver & for the longest time my tree was decorated mostly in those colors...gasp!

I will shop at stores that say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays because, for me, shopping and gifts are a minor part of Christmas. My family is Christian, and for us, celebrating the birth of Christ is more important than the presents. (but yes, we do give gifts to our children and do other things that would be considered part of the "commercial" side of Christmas) I'm not offended if someone wishes me Happy Holidays, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hannukah, etc.... To me, when someone says any of these things, they are wishing me joy and merriment. Even if that isn't my holiday, I gladly accept their well wishes and wish the same back to them. I do not think that employees should get in trouble though if they say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays, as I don't believe anyone should not be allowed to recognize their own holiday. If those that celebrate Hannukah want to see Menorahs put up in public places that also put up Christmas trees, I don't see a problem with that. I honestly do not pay attention to which stores do and don't say Christmas. When I walk into a store and see decorations, lights, and items that will become presents under my tree, I automatically think Christmas because that's my holiday, and no store can diminish it's meaning to me by the words they choose to say or not say.

I'm an atheist, and we celebrate "winter" as opposed to 'Christ's Birth' (which isn't even really the day of Christ's birth in the first place, but whatever.). I don't pay attention to whether stores say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or anything else for that matter. Personally, *I* say Happy Holidays because I like to be polite and acknowledge that not everybody's playing the role of a fat guy in a suit just because it's December.

I also don't just shop for the holidays on Black Friday... my oldest daughter's birthday is the beginning of January, so I take advantage of the extra deals during the season to stash back presents for her.