Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

scarface

About 4 years ago, I went to the particular Walmart where the incident occurred because of its proximity to other stores I had wanted to shop at. My mother stood in the line while I stood in the line for Toys 'R Us. It was chaos then as well, with several fights breaking out and the cops being called. I vowed never again to return to that Walmart. Walmart is well aware of the issues at this particular store on BF and should have done more. I think they need to start having a ticket system for this store or things will only continue to get worse. Let's just say that the people who visit this store aren't exactly the moral/ethical type.

Very sad. There was nothing at any store worth a mob this year.

Last year a friend of my wife's was tripped during the rush at our local Walmart. She ended up getting $7K from the store after getting a lawyer involved. This year, that store had 4 police officers working the line and handed out tickets for door busters. Hit them where it hurts in their profit and they'll come around. I hope the victim's family sues the store for megabucks. The mob mentality is truely a scary thing to witness.

The mall where this particular WalMart is located has been the scene of numerous violent incidents over the last several years, including armed robberies and shootings. Unfortunately, the population served by this particular store would be classified as "socioeconomically challenged"-which, obviously, has morphed into being "decency" challenged. Most Long Islanders know to avoid this mall in general, and this WalMart in particular. At another WalMart on Long Island, which serves a similar customer base, I witnessed a near riot condition a few years back for the $299 laptops, where police where summoned into the store.

It is unfortunate that store management placed their employees in a situation where they had to attempt to somewhat "control" this crowd. Although the behavior of these barbaric individuals can never be condoned, the store certainly was/is aware of the mall and community demographics and incident history. I will never again be at a WalMart at their opening on BF, unless the police presence rivals that assigned to Yankee games, for example (scores of armed officers, police canine units, and a mobile arrest processing unit). I am sure that most law abiding, decent, and moral Long Islanders and New Yorkers agree.

May the gentleman who was murdered (and I do use the term "murdered") rest in peace, and prayers go to his family and friends.

My husband and I were at our local wm. It was once again horrid. I like a good deal but getting that up close and personal with total strangers is not my idea of getting aquainted. Even with them passing out tickets was a mess. People from the back of the line walked up ahead of us to grab tickets. The officers they had out there even said, if they come up to go in ahead, there's not much they can do about it. I think wm needs to step it up a bit.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the families. Such a senseless shame! :(

Even with police security, they should tell people that walk up for tickets, stay in line or you don't get one, and also from that point, let them in 10 at a time (or so) and make sure those have their carts and move away before letting the next 10 or so in. One can only dream they will straighten up.

It is such as shame that this happened and not only that but because this happened really because of nothing..Noone could say there was this "I must have" "gotta have" item..I am really hurt and really sorry that this happen and my prayers go out to the family. In order for WalMart to get this under control as far as the Black Friday madness to as stated before have some sort of ticket process or only letting a certain amount of people in at a time..but u know what more than likely there will be more drama associated with that...and to think that when it was announced that this happened in the store there were some people actually angry that the store halted all transactions..I mean what type of people were these.to actually get mad because they couldn't complete a purchase for 4.00 crock pots or 4.00 pajama sets over showing some glimmer of sympathy about a life being lost..its sad very sad...

This is so very tragic! I can not imagine dying this way. So senseless! Prayers for his family!

I worked at WM for 3 1/2 years and I could tell you stories but I won't. I really believe that the people who broke through those doors are to blame. They should have closed the store and kept those people for questioning. I hope a lesson learned comes from all of this. That is the least WM can do.

It is truley truely sad to see someone die over a store stuffed with CRAP.The ticket system wouldnt work because most arent their for the TV or Laptops its the little CRAP they want.I dont like Walmart due to the ppl is draws into its stores and this is exactly what i mean.You would never see Macys bumrushed or Saxs 5th Ave.Its a shame shame shame...

It is truley truely sad to see someone die over a store stuffed with CRAP.The ticket system wouldnt work because most arent their for the TV or Laptops its the little CRAP they want.I dont like Walmart due to the ppl is draws into its stores and this is exactly what i mean.You would never see Macys bumrushed or Saxs 5th Ave.Its a shame shame shame...

I took offense to that statement :mad: I shop Walmart all the time. That's the only department store within 25 miles around here. We call it a neccessary evil to shop there because of lack of other stores. Wait, I am defending myself and I really shouldn't be. There are all sorts that walk this earth, and they shop at Walmart and Macys. There are bad eggs in every class. I've seen plenty of videos on the news showing people grabbing and rushing at Macys and other "upper crust" stores. They just don't have the deals like Walmart has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7soo1uTfzZw Have a looksy around 35 seconds into the video.

What happened to that young man last week is horrifying :( My thoughts and prayers are with his family and coworkers. Walmart needs to come up with a better arrangement for their door busters-which, they need to change the name of. It was a totally senseless death. I know I could not live with myself knowing I was part of that stampede that killed that man and injured others.

I took offense to that statement :mad: I shop Walmart all the time. That's the only department store within 25 miles around here. We call it a neccessary evil to shop there because of lack of other stores. Wait, I am defending myself and I really shouldn't be. There are all sorts that walk this earth, and they shop at Walmart and Macys. There are bad eggs in every class. I've seen plenty of videos on the news showing people grabbing and rushing at Macys and other "upper crust" stores. They just don't have the deals like Walmart has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7soo1uTfzZw Have a looksy around 35 seconds into the video.

What happened to that young man last week is horrifying :( My thoughts and prayers are with his family and coworkers. Walmart needs to come up with a better arrangement for their door busters-which, they need to change the name of. It was a totally senseless death. I know I could not live with myself knowing I was part of that stampede that killed that man and injured others.

Im sry i didnt mean it like that.Not everyone that shops walmart is like that.I just meant that Walmart draws a not so nice crowd versus other stores.I agree Walmart needs to change the way they do things.

The problem is that some people get carried away with these good deals and tend to go for them no matter what which results in chaos.

It's similar to what you usually see in cartoons or movies when it starts to rain money, people go wild. And if I was rich enough, I'd actually test that out to prove a point..

Im sry i didnt mean it like that.Not everyone that shops walmart is like that.I just meant that Walmart draws a not so nice crowd versus other stores.I agree Walmart needs to change the way they do things.

It's ok. Ya got me first thing in the morning. :) It could have been worse- it could have been politics ;)

We went to a 24 hour Walmart on BF...yup, they were open 24 hours. They had pallates (sp?) in aisles with t.v.s, dvd players, printers, and other BF items. They handed maps to shoppers as they entered. People who got there early were crowding around the items they were there for. At 5 a.m., employees pulled off the wrappings that surrounded the pallates, and shoppers got their stuff.

So sad about the worker that got killed...I do agree that it could have been avoided...

I also went to a 24 hour walmart. In my opinion much better than having a crowd waiting outside to push in the store all at once. It was not bad at all. Everyone waited by the item they wanted and it went very orderly. I think it would be better to have all the walmarts open 24 hours to aviod a problem like that.

It has been said on here that it is hoped that they figure out who did this and charge them accordingly. The problem with this is the people in the front are not totally to blame. Have you ever been at the front of a crowd of people who are all wanting to push forward? I experienced something like that at a concert when I was in college. The people in the front do not control what the crowd does. There have been instances where people have died in similar situations. I hope that Walmart has learned another valuable lesson. Crowds need to be controlled. This was a senseless tragedy.

I thought to, perhaps there are not enough Walmarts in that area to serve the people. We have two, one about 5 minutes from my house and one about 7 minutes from my house. I went into one around 6:30 a.m. Friday to price match something at Best Buy and got in and out quickly.

It has been said on here that it is hoped that they figure out who did this and charge them accordingly. The problem with this is the people in the front are not totally to blame. Have you ever been at the front of a crowd of people who are all wanting to push forward? I experienced something like that at a concert when I was in college. The people in the front do not control what the crowd does. There have been instances where people have died in similar situations. I hope that Walmart has learned another valuable lesson. Crowds need to be controlled. This was a senseless tragedy.

I thought to, perhaps there are not enough Walmarts in that area to serve the people. We have two, one about 5 minutes from my house and one about 7 minutes from my house. I went into one around 6:30 a.m. Friday to price match something at Best Buy and got in and out quickly.

But didn't they break down the door? How could the people behind the people up front break down the door?

But didn't they break down the door? How could the people behind the people up front break down the door?

The way I read the article was that the workers were in the process of opening the doors and the surge then slammed into the doors and did the damage then. So basically if people were pushing from behind the people in front would have no choice but to go with the flow or get trampled themselves. If the doors were being opened - even just a crack then the surge would have done the rest of the work in opening them - probably knocking down that worker in the process. The sheer number of people trying to crowd through the doors at once I am sure is what damaged the frame.

Reality is, people should take responsibilty for their own actions. If you behave in such a manner, someone is going to get hurt, or in this case, killed.

You teach your children not to push and shove and act a fool in public, but yet you can't do it yourself.....ridiculous.

This is a very unfortunate situation. You can put part of the blame on Walmart. They also can NOT predict how bad it really is going to be. The majority of the blame should be put on those people who acted like absolute savages.

You are fighting to spend your money?!?!?! Come on now. NOTHING is THAT important.

NOTHING.