>>> Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

For those of you comparison shopping Plasma and LCD HDTV sets, be sure to check out the November 07 Consumer Reports. Great section on these type of sets. Stated that the Panasonic 1080P Plasma was "the best" they have ever seen... while the Panasonic 720P was nearly as good (and hard to distinguish picture quality-wise).

Ok, so I caved, and we bought a 19" Memorex (I know, not a great warranty) LCD for the bedroom from Target (was on sale last week). I don't think I got a GREAT deal, but DH was starting to bug me about getting SOMETHING. Here are my consessions though -- I was told that I had 90 days to return it to Target (with original packaging) and I could get a refund. Also, I purchased the 3 yr extended warranty through Target, so if we do decide to keep it, I will have 3 years instead of the measly 90 days that Memorex gives.

So, we got it home, and it's tiny in comparison to how the 19" tube tv screen seemed.

I don't think I am going to like the 19" - so I am keeping my options open. If they have a 26" or even a 32" LCD (thanks for the heads up jamieva) for a similar price to what I paid for this 19" on BF, then I will switch out.

BTW - has anyone purchased an LCD TV from Target (or electronics for that matter) and had to return it (for any reason). How difficult was it?

Thanks!

I will probably be going to bestbuy this black friday, depending on what they have. I would like to buy a smallish LCD screen, between 20' and 30'. What sizes in that range to do guys suspect they will sell, and for what prices?

BTW - has anyone purchased an LCD TV from Target (or electronics for that matter) and had to return it (for any reason). How difficult was it?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly Target charges you a restocking fee for returning a TV. They have their return policy posted by customer service, I'd double check next time you're in there.

Last year I bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma 720P at Best Buy for $999. It was a highly rated model. Boscov's dept store has been advertising this year's model for $999 in their regular Sunday ads.

Based on that I think you will see 42" Plasmas/LCDs around $799 for a brand name. Maybe even less for a OEM brand. I will be in the market for another 42" Plasma.

If I remember correctly Target charges you a restocking fee for returning a TV. They have their return policy posted by customer service, I'd double check next time you're in there.

Thanks Andrea. I will.

I also noticed a dead pixel (I guess that's what you call it) on the screen - It's noticable - but only when the screen is showing a dark image (night time or black when fading between 2 programs or what-not). I most likely will return it telling them that.

Here's one other question though. I *may* not be able to actually shop on BF (in the morning) - so what do you all think are the chances of getting a great LCD tv deal around that time?

Anyone think that there will be any of the older style projection HDTV's available? Last year Best Buy had a 51" Hitachi for $699 and Walmart had a 52" RCA for $474. I wouldn't mind getting one for the garage. I would be happy with something like that Walmart deal from last year.

Below is from the Cnet News Blog

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9792826-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1082_3-0

LCD panel supply issues could mean higher prices

Posted by Erica Ogg

The price of LCD panels for notebooks and desktop monitors has been on the rise since April, though the increase has not yet been passed on to consumers. But that could change very soon, according to a new report from iSuppli.

Though LCD television prices have stabilized, monitor prices are far more volatile right now. As an example, the average price for a 15-inch notebook display has inched up from $90 to $108 between April and September, according to iSuppli. But during that time, monitor prices did not go up even as panels did, severely eating into the margins of monitor manufacturers.

"We're now reaching a point where profit margin for the monitor supply is really being impacted," said Sweta Dash, director of LCD and projection research at iSuppli. "So already some monitor suppliers are starting to increase their prices $10 to $20." Considering the already tight supply (from a backlog of product in the spring), prices have almost nowhere to go but up.

"Considering all these facts, we don't think monitor prices can continue to go down," said Dash.

But, never fear: the biggest shopping day of the year should still be chock-full of aggressive pricing.

"Black Friday prices may still be aggressive and exciting," said Dash. "Because they make those decisions way earlier, in (the beginning of) Q2 when many system suppliers set panel prices. Since those are contracts, they can't be changed."

I just wanted to add for anyone who wants an HDTV on a budget...We got a 30" widescreen HDTV tube tv from BB. We absolutely LOVE it. We paid around $250 for it. It is still available in-store, but not online. I have a feeling these will be super cheap on BF just because its an older model. If this is the case, we may pick up another. We have been VERY pleasesd with the TV so far. We've had it since Feb. of this year. Not a single issue, pic looks great, and very easy to navigate the controls. For the price, its really a great TV.

Whats a good TV for a bedroom? I have no idea what I need to look for (brand, etc). My husband wants a flat screen for the bedroom wall (LCD I think). Whats the price range of these and do you think they will be available on BF? Im thinking 32"

I'm wondering about this too... want to get one but wondering what's the best kind, size and so on.... it will be about 11 feet away from us when viewing and I'm not sure what size would be best and what projected prices will be. Right now we have a 13"(?) sitting on my dresser and I want my dresser back!!

Any opinions???

I'm a BF newbie. I've been researching new TVs and was set to buy one, when my wife suggested waiting for BF. I've decided which TV I want -- Panasonic TH-50PX77U 50" 720p Plasma HDTV. My question is whether I can expect to find that model on sale, or is BF mostly going to offer less expensive brands? I'm not interested in a Westinghouse or Olevia, etc.

Is it worth waiting? If I can get it online or at Costco for about $1599 now, what might it cost on BF? And what time would I have to get in line at a BB or CC (in Atlanta area)?

I'm a BF newbie. I've been researching new TVs and was set to buy one, when my wife suggested waiting for BF. I've decided which TV I want -- Panasonic TH-50PX77U 50" 720p Plasma HDTV. My question is whether I can expect to find that model on sale, or is BF mostly going to offer less expensive brands? I'm not interested in a Westinghouse or Olevia, etc.

Is it worth waiting? If I can get it online or at Costco for about $1599 now, what might it cost on BF? And what time would I have to get in line at a BB or CC (in Atlanta area)?

not everything is guaranteed to be "best price" simply because it is BF, this is a common misconception. best buy will have westinghouse on sale dirt cheap, that is their thing. of course as you have already discovered they are cheap for a reason.

samsung, pioneer - these are quality models

LG, hitachi, sharp - these are next in line

sony, panasonic - again one step below.

anything else is going to take some research on your part with specific models to determine who manufacturers the panels and parts.

I can't say I'm excited about $1600 for that model, I would wait.

krstee couple of things

LCD is cheaper generally then Plasma.

Up to 42" LCD is best, over that Plasma is best. Generally.

No TV channels broadcast in 1080p at this time and may not for some time. The gap between 720p and 1080i to the naked eye is very small. 1080p will only make a huge difference if you have a HD DVD player too.

They also do not make a plasma any smaller than 42 inches, keep this in mind as well.

Hey guys, I couldn't post the link because I am new here but here is some useful info about HDTV..hope it helps!!

WHAT TYPE OF SCREEN IS BEST??

Many new HDTV owners prefer the design and space-saving advantages of a flat-panel TV. If you do, there are two options: plasma and LCD (liquid crystal diode). Each display delivers beautiful pictures, and each has its own benefits.

Plasma: With larger screen sizes (42"+), plasma prices tend to be lower than LCD. Picture quality is usually very good when watching from different angles, and black levels within images are generally very accurate.

LCD: LCD screens have a wide range of sizes, and smaller ones are often an affordable option for kitchens and bedrooms. LCD models are also more likely to provide computer connectivity, ideal for enjoying downloaded movies.

If flat panels are not your style, there are also cathode-ray tube models and rear-projection cabinet-style TVs. You might even pass on a "traditional" set and select a projector/screen combination.

WHAT IS "720" AND "1080"?

You've probably seen ads touting screens with "720" or "1080." The details can get pretty technical, so we'll keep it simple. First, our general advice: don't worry about these numbers unless you're a hardcore videophile, in which case you probably already own an HDTV.

The numbers refer to the maximum resolution your TV can handle. The formats: 1080i means 1,080 horizontal scan lines refresh on the screen in an interlaced fashion. 720p means 720 lines display progressively. But what does this mean to you?

Not much. First, regardless of your TV's resolution, all HDTVs are required to support both formats. You won't even notice a difference unless you sit very

close to a larger screen, which isn't recommended anyway.

Second, there's no definitive agreement that one format is better. In fact, sports broadcasters usually televise in 720p since it's best for quick motion. There's also a 1080p format, considered the highest resolution. At this time, aside from high-def discs, there's not much 1080p source material available.

WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?

SCREEN SIZE: Tech writers and reviewers suggest going as big as your room and budget can handle. There's one caveat: if you sit too close to a larger screen, you may sense pixel detail, thus sacrificing overall enjoyment.

NON-HD QUALITY: A non-HD signal—like a standard TV broadcast—won't look sharp and exciting on an HD screen. Depending on the make and model, your HDTV will perform some scaling, but there's not enough visual information to fill your screen as beautifully as HD does.

STORE VISITS: Ask the clerk what you're watching. Is it an HD telecast? A standard DVD? One of the high-def disc formats? That will give you a better idea what to expect from different sources you may connect.

CONNECTING: An HDMI cable is the easiest way to connect audio and video sources to your HDTV. It's a single connection that supports high-definition video and multichannel audio.

Consumer Reports Electronic Blog:

October 17, 2007

Plasma TVs May Be the Biggest Bargains This Holiday Season

If you’ve had a big-screen flat-panel HDTV in your sights for a while, it looks like this fall will be a great time to pull the trigger.

Prices this holiday season are expected to hit an all-time low, about 40 percent cheaper in general than a year ago and as much as 65 percent lower on certain kinds of TVs. There’s growing speculation that the season will start off strong on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, with eye-opening deals, particularly on plasma TVs.

We may see some 42-inch 720p plasmas priced as low as $599 on Black Friday, predicted manufacturers and retailers attending a conference held last week by DisplaySearch, an Austin, Texas-based research firm. According to DisplaySearch forecasts, prices could rebound a bit after the kickoff weekend, averaging closer to $1,000 throughout the holidays. 720p plasmas with 50-inch screens are likely to go for about $1,400 this year, down from $2,300 a year ago. Plasma will finally become competitive in 1080p, with the average price of a full HD 50-inch set dropping sharply, to just under $2,400 by the end of the year, the firm projects.

Discounts will be less dramatic on LCD sets, but prices will be lower. A 40-inch LCD set with 720p resolution will go for about $1,000. Look for bigger price cuts in 1080p, where average selling prices will drop to about $1,500 for a 40-inch set and $2,000 for a 46-incher. Full HD 52-inch LCD TVs will sell for about $2,700. DisplaySearch predicts that 1080p sets will take over the 40-inch and larger category this holiday season, accounting for about 60 percent of all HDTV sales.

Analysts say it’s unlikely TV prices will drop much lower in 2008, so there’s little point in waiting for better bargains next year. True, predictions for less-severe price drops in 2007 haven’t panned out, but this time they could be on the money. According to DisplaySearch presient Ross Young, much of the price cutting we’ve seen this year resulted from a perfect storm of events late in 2006, “where we had too much panel supply, too many brands and too many retailers.”

What does this portend for your holiday shopping? Retailers are likely to steer you to big screens and 1080p sets, which offer them bigger profit margins than smaller screens. Many big-box retailers aren’t actively promoting 40- and 42-inch 720p LCD HDTVs, so it may be harder to find them. Young noted that recent advertising circulars by national chains focused almost exclusively on higher-priced 1080p sets 40 inches and larger. And supplies of 32-inch LCD TVs could be tight as manufacturers shift their focus to more lucrative segments, including digital photo frames and notebook PCs.

That means your best bet of finding a 720p LCD set this holiday season may well be in warehouse clubs such as Costco and Sam’s or at mass merchants such as Wal-Mart or Target. These chains, which have a lower margin structure than traditional retail stores, are becoming a more important outlet for TV sales—and they’re a big reason that Vizio became the number-one flat-panel TV brand in the second quarter of this year, according to data from NPD Group, DisplaySearch’s parent company.

Also, gird yourself for a stronger-than-usual push to load up on extras, such as an extended warranty, cables, wall mounts, and even high-def DVD players and digital receivers. With TV prices and margins falling, stores will need to sell you more of these extras to bolster profits.—James K. Willcox

An article from the New York Times:

Don’t expect kamikaze pricing on LCD TVs this Thanksgiving, but you might find a real deal in a big plasma set. That’s the conclusion reached by Colin McGranahan, an analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein, who just got back from the DisplaySearch HDTV Conference.

Overall, prices for LCD sets should be about 15 to 19 percent lower than a year ago, not quite the 30 percent price drop of last year. Plasma sets will fall in price by about 25 percent, Mr. McGranahan said. Indeed, you may well be able to pick up a 42-inch plasma set for less than $600 on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Supply may be a little tight for 20-inch to 32-inch sets from the second- and third-tier manufacturers, Vizio and Syntax-Brillian, the maker of the Olivia brand, which are gaining the most share.

The lower-priced makers are benefiting from a softening of HD mania and a strong preference by consumers for lower-priced sets, Mr. McGranahan wrote. HD sales were actually lower in the second quarter of this year from a year earlier, both in dollars and the number of actual sets sold.

The top-tier brands, especially Sony and Samsung, are losing share, and thus they aren’t suffering from supply shortages. These companies have to differentiate their products through fancy features like higher resolution, frame rate and contrast ratios. This has made the gap between the high and low price points for a given size, Mr. McGranahan wrote, as wide “as the price differential of a Toyota Camry versus a Mercedes S Class!”

This approach may well be a mistake for the high-end brands, he concluded:

In our view, the major shift in the TV market from older CRT sets to ATV sets is largely complete. We think enhancements within the ATV space will not be as valuable given that many of the early-stage (last few years) ATV features are still considerably better than what most consumers were accustomed to with CRT sets; i.e. we think consumers will settle for low- to mid-tier TVs because they will be far better than the CRT sets that they replace.

LINK >>>>>> http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/black-friday-alert-big-plasma-sets-on-sale/

Shocker: HDTV price wars headed for Black Friday

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/10/23/shocker-hdtv-price-wars-headed-for-black-friday/

It's not like this type of activity doesn't happen every day-after-Thanksgiving here in the US of A, but 2007 is being seen as a banner year for "aggressive pricing" come Black Friday. As expected, competition will likely be most heated in the 40- to 42-inch range, where plasma and LCD manufacturers will both be vying for business from eager consumers. Furthermore, RPTVs and 720p sets in general are expected to sport rock-bottom pricetags as they attempt to compete with the fresher, more attractive 1080p flat-panels. As for pricing, analysts expect the lowest stickers to be found on Olevia, Westinghouse and Vizio sets, while other "top-tier brands" slash hundreds off in an attempt to still look appealing. Whatever the case, we'd suggest you gear up for madness if you're scouting a new HDTV on Black Friday, but apparently, the savings will make the mayhem worth dealing with.

I'm hoping for :

42" Plasma ($600 or less) [sears has this deal currently]

37" LCD ($500 or less)

32" LCD ($350 or less)

If I come out of the day with any of those deals, my PERSONAL christmas is complete :) Only thing left would be to get a new home theater system.

Dh and I are thinking about getting a new tv on bf. My question is what is the difference bewteen LCD and plasma and HD and all that? We don't have cable or a dish and not looking for the newest and best out there. Just need to know the basics and what not to buy or is a waste of money. Also what is HDMI and the difference between 1080p and 1080i. Also thinking about getting a home theater system. Anything in Sears bf ad look like a great deal on a good tv for us? Thanks for any help and info or sites to check out.

I'm hoping for :

42" Plasma ($600 or less) [sears has this deal currently]

37" LCD ($500 or less)

32" LCD ($350 or less)

If I come out of the day with any of those deals, my PERSONAL christmas is complete :) Only thing left would be to get a new home theater system.

I like the way you think but am personally hoping that 32" may hit $300... namebrand type. I do not need anything bigger than 32" but if there are some good sets at 37" that are ~$400 that would be hard to pass up.