GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

It's cold and rainy here, but at least it's not snow!

Working to get my house ready to sell. Not sure where we're going to move to yet. We'll stay in the same town, but there isn't much on the market yet. But when there is, I want to move quickly, so I'm starting to pack. I need to get some cute decorations for the walls and tables. I'm dreading this whole thing, but it has to be done. We're bursting at the seams!

• Like 1

Went to bed an hour earlier than usual last night, feeling excessively exhausted. Woke up to take my fasting pill without a problem, and went back to sleep. When I got up an hour later, I was sweating (and I leave my window cracked open, even in winter), congested, and nauseous. I had a gig today at a school I really enjoy working, and I hate canceling at the last minute. I called the substitute coordinator, explaining that I felt exactly how I feel when my chemo causes a side effect, but that such a reaction usually occurs 90 minutes after taking it, which is a half an hour after dinner.

After discussing it, she said while she didn't know if another sub will be found this close to start time, she agreed it sounded odd enough to cancel me from the job. If I am sick, there's no sense in "spreading the love."

Hoping I feel better by taking it easy today.

• Like 2

My in-laws are ready to fly back to their home in the Philippines. 

Theoretically, that is supposed to happen on Tuesday. 

Unfortunately, the coronavirus has thrown a wrench in our plans.  They were scheduled to fly through Taipei.  As of Monday, the Philippines is rejecting flights from Taipei.  They will allow their citizens to fly on in, but they get quarantined for a week after landing.  Any citizen of another country will get booked back home as soon as they land in Taipei.  As my wife needs to help them, and they wish to avoid quarantine, we are now looking for a different international flight with less than a week to go.  We are currently trying to get the original flight refunded, but that may take up to 7 days.  The silver lining in this case is that we are in the off season.  I'm looking at dropping "just" $3k rather than double that in a few months.  Hopefully the refund goes through so those original plane tickets aren't a waste.  I doubt if I could afford a Taipei vacation next year even if the flight was free!

My in-laws are ready to fly back to their home in the Philippines. 

Theoretically, that is supposed to happen on Tuesday. 

Unfortunately, the coronavirus has thrown a wrench in our plans.  They were scheduled to fly through Taipei.  As of Monday, the Philippines is rejecting flights from Taipei.  They will allow their citizens to fly on in, but they get quarantined for a week after landing.  Any citizen of another country will get booked back home as soon as they land in Taipei.  As my wife needs to help them, and they wish to avoid quarantine, we are now looking for a different international flight with less than a week to go.  We are currently trying to get the original flight refunded, but that may take up to 7 days.  The silver lining in this case is that we are in the off season.  I'm looking at dropping "just" $3k rather than double that in a few months.  Hopefully the refund goes through so those original plane tickets aren't a waste.  I doubt if I could afford a Taipei vacation next year even if the flight was free!

Did you see the article about the woman who works for Business Insider who was supposed to go to the Philippines for vacation and wound up having to leave and went back to New York? She navigated the globe in about a day, poor her.

Good morning!  Hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day and if your're lucky enough to have Monday off work, then have a great long weekend.  Federal holidays (well, any holiday really) are non-existent in my world.  

On a side note, if any of you down south are fortunate enough to live near a Walk-Ons Bistreaux  and have not tried the Krispy Kreme bread pudding, please do so.  It is amazing but will send you straight into a diabetic coma!  LOL.  My GALentines and I went to our newly opened location and had a ball Thursday night.  

Edited by HanShotFirst
  • Like 2

On a side note, if any of you down south are fortunate enough to live near a Walk-Ons Bistreaux  and have not tried the Krispy Kreme bread pudding, please do so.  It is amazing but will send you straight into a diabetic coma!  LOL.  My GALentines and I went to our newly opened location and had a ball Thursday night.

If you can get ahold of day old Krispy Kreme original doughnuts (straight off the conveyor need to be eaten straight off the conveyor, IMO), give this version a try.

Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Espresso Whipped Cream

• Like 1

I'm so freaking excited!

While I'm sad my long time nurse practitioner retired in November, the one thing he and I disagreed on is taking me off of my two diabetic medications, even though my a1c numbers have been exceptionally good for the past several years. Today I met my potential new PCP, a very young doctor, but not a resident, so hopefully he'll be long term instead of leaving in a couple of years.

With today's a1c number, and those I've had for the past several years, he is willing to titrate me off of those medications, and test my a1c in the next three months and six months to see if my low carb/keto way of eating is enough to keep me out of diabetic range.

If this works out, and my hematologist takes me off of my chemo for the trial this summer, that will be 3 medications/4 pills a day I'll no longer have to take.

woo-hoo!

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 7

20200225041801x250x250.jpg

What is it?
Fat Tuesday is the traditional name for the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent in the Western Christian churches, including the Roman Catholic Church and Protestant churches. (Clean Monday is the first day of Lent in the Eastern Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches.) Fat Tuesday is more commonly known as Mardi Gras, which is simply Fat Tuesday in French.

• Like 1

I have a job interview today. And I am terrified. It's a second interview. First one was a phone interview.

I'm scared and feel guilty about leaving my job, but the scariest thing about this possible new one, is that it's in downtown Atlanta. Yuck.

I hope it goes well for you bluebear.

• Like 2

I have a job interview today. And I am terrified. It's a second interview. First one was a phone interview.

I'm scared and feel guilty about leaving my job, but the scariest thing about this possible new one, is that it's in downtown Atlanta. Yuck.

Change is always hard, but if this is a better opportunity that could lead to future opportunities, think about it.

At worst, it's interview practice for when the perfect opportunity comes along. At the middle, it gives you something to think about, and at best, you get an offer and you make a decision that is best for you (and feel super flattered in the process.)

• Like 1