GottaDEAL 2018 Black Friday T-Shirt Club Posting Thread

Brad

See, I was sad last year and this year wth no school supplies to buy... I love school supplies. I'm already looking forward to year after next when my grandson starts kindergarten!

My first year with no kids of my own in school, I went and bought backpacks full of crayons and color books and stuff for my grandkids (who were nowhere near ready for school yet)!  :)

• Like 3

48 of 49 already in for August. Really would be surprised to see anyone else drop out the rest of the way.

This has been fun and we'll probably do something similar again next year.

Fun for me too.  Thinking about next year, maybe draw for a prize among posters for a given month then one more for those who get through the whole calendar?

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 3

See, I was sad last year and this year wth no school supplies to buy... I love school supplies. I'm already looking forward to year after next when my grandson starts kindergarten!

Or there's lots of school supply drives for you and anyone else wanting to buy school supplies. Get the experience and help someone all at the same time!

Today was our work day before the new school year starts and let me tell you something...my feet are definitely NOT ready for regular shoes, let alone socks! I can't tell you the last time I had socks on! My footwear, if I do wear shoes during the summer, consists of sandals, flip flops or slip on shoes. So not ready for this! lol

• Like 1

Yesterday I impulse bought a sock loom. I might have me a warm cozy pair of socks to wear for black Friday... Next year... Not sure what I got myself into!!

Maybe while you are learning you could start out small and do kid sized socks (kids won’t notice mistakes as much probably), or treat them like they are mini stockings for gift card holders. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Welcome to August!

I have never understood starting school in August.  Growing up in Dallas, school always started after Labor Day for me.  It has always been the same for my daughter who graduated HS in New York City this year.  She starts college just after Labor Day.  I like traveling the last two weeks of August because hotels are cheaper and easier to book and other travel arrangements are a bit easier than earlier in the summer.

I personally think some kids loose too much with too long of a break.  When we home schooled all of ours I only gave for sure the month of July off in the summer.  I wanted the flexibility of a day off here or there when family visited or people were sick.

And alternatively, I'm used to starting in August (even did when I was a kid), and being out by Memorial Day. When I hear of kids still still in school in June, I have the same thought... "I can't believe they are still in school in June!"

Someone told me once it has to do with the availability of AC in different regions. Not sure it's true, but since it's typically hotter in August than June, guess it would make sense to start school a little later. Or did historically. I've only visited North twice, and both were in the winter, so I don't know how that is.

I always thought it had to do with harvesting.

Is that all? Well then... 

Black Friday I wait

Your deals always entice me

Where is the first ad? 

Will you write one for me too since I missed a month?

Well, some papers will have to be signed, and you'll have to get me the master recording tapes, and you will have to say good-bye to Phil here.

^^^ Hey Brad, any idea where that comes from?  No?  Feels like a contest!

Contests are good!

Any speculation on what store will have the best toys since Toys r Us is gone?

I'm pretty well done with kiddo's Christmas and birthday right after. Still need a tricycle and maybe a wooden trainset. Other then that, waiting on ads to see if there's anything awesome he'd like.

Don't know if you have an Aldi's near you, but I have noticed they have increased their "gift" section a lot since TRU closed.

• Like 2

I personally think some kids loose too much with too long of a break.  When we home schooled all of ours I only gave for sure the month of July off in the summer.  I wanted the flexibility of a day off here or there when family visited or people were sick.

I always thought it had to do with harvesting.

There are studies that have said this - the longer kids are out for the summer, they are unable to retain what they learned because they are unable to use those skills for two months. Now people are always quick to jump to the downside - with a shorter summer break, there are fewer opportunities to vacation in the summer, there are fewer camps/activities during the year to keep kids occupied if they're off an extra two weeks in October, teachers don't have an opportunity to get an actual break and spend the time refreshing their curriculum or other professional development - but it's not a terrible thing to consider, or at least review more studies on areas that have switched to these calendars.

• Like 1

There are studies that have said this - the longer kids are out for the summer, they are unable to retain what they learned because they are unable to use those skills for two months. Now people are always quick to jump to the downside - with a shorter summer break, there are fewer opportunities to vacation in the summer, there are fewer camps/activities during the year to keep kids occupied if they're off an extra two weeks in October, teachers don't have an opportunity to get an actual break and spend the time refreshing their curriculum or other professional development - but it's not a terrible thing to consider, or at least review more studies on areas that have switched to these calendars.

Ya the funny thing about all these studies if you can find them to say the opposite of each other. :)

• Like 2

I believe I'm going to get Lasik.  I've worn contacts for about 25 years and I have been done with them for quite a while.  I'll probably need reading glasses, though.  For some reason, I am OK with that.  I have a preliminary checkup on 9/1 and will go for screening some time in September.

I believe I'm going to get Lasik.  I've worn contacts for about 25 years and I have been done with them for quite a while.  I'll probably need reading glasses, though.  For some reason, I am OK with that.  I have a preliminary checkup on 9/1 and will go for screening some time in September.

My husband and I have both had Lasik done, back in 1999 and 2002.  We went to Canada to Lasik MD.  They have several offices, don't know where you live.   My husbands turned out 20/20 and mine was like 20/25.  We since went back to see about the new procedures they do for those of us who .....well ummm may have trouble reading the smaller print material :giggle:   My eyes had changed a little in distance to like 20/30. They told me if I were to have anything done right now it would make the nearsightedness worse quicker.  To wait about 5 more years then there are options.  Our son had Lasik done about 3 years ago now and he paid a little more than us, but he had other issues and he bought the lifetime warranty.  My husband and I paid around $1,000 which included pre-surgery, surgery, and post surgery appointments.  Our son paid closer to $2,000.  Regardless, it is about half the price as it is in the US.  Quotes I have gotten here are $1,000 per eye minimum.  We paid under a $1,000 for the whole thing.  I would HIGHLY recommend it and them to anyone.  The only issue I have had (and our son also) is driving at night the glare from lights and sensitivity to the sun. So, I have antiglare sunglasses, my husband and son have those HD Sunglasses.  Anyways, food for thought! 

FYI: Got a text from Sears yesterday get 12.5% cashback in points on your layaway contract!

Edited by Kash
  • Like 2

I just got new gas perm contacts again this year (mine typically last a few years at a time) and told my doc I'd been thinking about LASIK. Doc says I'd be a good candidate but that, given my vision, it would probably only buy me 10 years of "no glasses" time. Gave that some more thought, did some cost-benefit analysis, decided to skip it. Just not financially worth it to me right now, especially when the contacts don't really bother me. I do keep an eye on pricing and such now, though, just in case I change my mind. :)

I lost my glasses at the lake last year,, long story, but the paddle board won :sidesplit , and had contacts for about 2 weeks and I did not like them. I finally got use to putting them in and taking them out but there just not for me. I would love to get lasik but that fear that there hand will slip or something and i'm like nawwwwwww. 

• Like 3

I lost my glasses at the lake last year,, long story, but the paddle board won :sidesplit , and had contacts for about 2 weeks and I did not like them. I finally got use to putting them in and taking them out but there just not for me. I would love to get lasik but that fear that there hand will slip or something and i'm like nawwwwwww. 

I hear ya!  I would love to have it done but I'm petrified of the actual procedure.  My sister had it done 10 years ago and has never looked back but I can't seem to work up enough nerve, even though my vision is HORRIBLE.  She says she remembers seeing a bright red light then everything went black and I'm like "ok, that'll do.  I'm good".  LOL

Plus I don't have an extra couple of $grand laying around to spend.  

• Like 2

Ten years with no glasses seems like a good thing. What happens after ten years? Do it again? Eyesight slowly reverts (or maybe declines from day #1)? Eyesight is worse than before the surgery? How much does lasik cost?

Don’t know about here in US. But read my post up a couple from yours, we went to Canada. I’ve been 16 years without glasses now and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

• Like 1