"The Leftovers" thread... What's collecting dust in stores?

1whodatdare

Let me say, I'm crazy.  Left home at 4:30 yesterday, got home at 9:30 this morning... Why is this important? It gave me the chance to see the "big stores" early and much later in the sale...

Here were the BIG leftovers- AKA- the over ordered and under sold...

I'll Start with Walmart:   

Shockingly, in my area... MOVIES!!! usually these fly off and cause uncomfortable moments in store.  Not today in either of our walmarts- yep, stopped in two-TWICE!  There were entire movie set ups untouched.  

The other thing that stuck out... Samsung TV's of various sizes.  People no longer care about quality... just price.  Combined, our two stores had well over 100 Samsungs still on the floor.  Barely anyone took home a 50" or larger from our area.  Nuts.

Also, PAJAMAS!  they looked untouched at both stores. Not a single pallet was even halfway empty, and in many cases, the pallets looked full! 

Target: Went to two of these twice as well.  The EMERSON 32" was everywhere. Literally... people must have picked them up and realized they didn't want them.  After store cleanup happened, and they were all moved back to original area, they formed an absolute mountain near the front of the store.  Combined, the two targets will be trying to move at least 150 of them... Terrible price when you could get a similar model at WM for 98.  People recognized, but Target didn't.  THey also had a gazillion Barbie Jets and Hoover Vacuums.  But, the biggest waste seemed to be the gaming chair with ottoman.  There were TWO huge pallets of them in different areas of the stores, and there wan't a dent put into either.  Going to need to move a LOT of these as well.  

Toys R Us.  I didn't notice anything over stocked... in fact just the opposite as they ran out of all DIsney Infinity characters/sets/kits before midnight.  The only area stuff didn't seem to move was the baby/toddler toys that were piled up in the middle of some isles.  

Kohls... Only two things in the ONE I went to... First, the LG 42" Must have been 20 sitting there as of 7:30 a.m. The other was the monster earphones.  THey looked untouched. 

Dicks... I've NEVER seen so many sweatshirts of various styles just thrown around a store.  It was horrendous.  

We took a little break for kids clothing... Gymboree, Justice, and Childrens place were ghost towns.  Heard one employee tell someone on the phone that they sent home 5 of seven employees.  

Best Buy:  Wholly Samsungs batman!  Not to mention Insignias.  They were piled up all over the place.  Even the great deals were just sitting there at 1:00 a.m.  The ONLY line people were waiting in... XBOX ONE for the mystery deal.  And they aren't even on sale.  

Overall... Stores are going to need to find a way to get rid of some of these TV's.  I'm guessing Target will have a clearance on those Emerson's soon.  

• Like 1

I saw people who were buying several of the $98 tvs at Walmart.  I thought they would limit one per customer, but apparently they were handing out any number of vouchers you wanted.  I got one, but decided against it when I read the reviews for Funai!  I would rather spend the extra and get quality.  Most of the tvs at Walmart were gone, but Target still had tons left.

Surprising, my Target had tons of PS4 and XBox One.  Most people were going for the Xbox and leaving the PS4 behind., but there was plenty for everyone.

Went to Meijer and it was completely empty!  Everything in the aisles looked untouched.  

These were the only stores I went to.  I was able to price match mostly everything at Walmart or buy online.  

A bit off topic, but my Walmart wouldn't allow shoppers to take their carts down aisles.  They said it was a safety hazard!!  So, I only bought what I could carry.  I may have bought larger items if I had someone to carry them for me!

Shockingly, in my area... MOVIES!!! usually these fly off and cause uncomfortable moments in store.  Not today in either of our walmarts- yep, stopped in two-TWICE!  There were entire movie set ups untouched.

I stopped buying DVDs when the LoC decreed that ripping them was no longer Fair Use.

I saw people who were buying several of the $98 tvs at Walmart.  I thought they would limit one per customer, but apparently they were handing out any number of vouchers you wanted.  I got one, but decided against it when I read the reviews for Funai!  I would rather spend the extra and get quality.  Most of the tvs at Walmart were gone, but Target still had tons left.

Surprising, my Target had tons of PS4 and XBox One.  Most people were going for the Xbox and leaving the PS4 behind., but there was plenty for everyone.

Went to Meijer and it was completely empty!  Everything in the aisles looked untouched.  

These were the only stores I went to.  I was able to price match mostly everything at Walmart or buy online.  

A bit off topic, but my Walmart wouldn't allow shoppers to take their carts down aisles.  They said it was a safety hazard!!  So, I only bought what I could carry.  I may have bought larger items if I had someone to carry them for me!

I did get voucher and bought it..

When I purchased online, It said they were replacing the Funai with an emerson... I know, not a major upgrade, but better than the Funai!

Re: the Samsung TVs, those were available everywhere for the exact same price, and you could buy them online with free delivery (and in some cases no tax) several days beforehand, so that's not too surprising.

Yeah, supply and demand... Too many people selling it for it to have an impact.  

I just went to Home Depot, Target & BJ's. Looks like Target had lots of leftover sale items especially various TV's.

Home Depot did not have the $69 tree I was hoping to pick up but I can live with the one I have for one more year.

BJ's also had lots of their specials in stock.

It was busy out there but not crazy!

Girl pajamas at Walmart, there was TONS of girls stuff, but I managed to find just one pair of boys 14/16 pajama pants(I was there around 11am) Lots of the bluetooth speakers, printers, 2DS, accessories. 

Target, lots of movies left, housewares.  I didn't pay too much attention to this ad though. 

one thing that was wiped out nearly everywhere was Infinity(except the pirates characters) and SwapForce characters. 

TRU, I was in there last night, but the line was 2 hours long so I dumped my stuff. Went back today, found the LAST megazord left in the store, exactly where I had left it on the shelf. Only thing I wasn't able to buy online from my TRU list. 

I kind of got up late this morning, got to stores late, any of the "leftovers" were not things I wanted... since I refused to shop at stores Thanksgiving night I kind of expected that.  Oh, I did find the sheets I wanted at Steinmart.... they were the busiest of the stores I went to- more than Target, Home Depot or Costco!  I think it was because of the scratch off thing in the ad

Went to Walmart just before 8am and they had lots of the socks, pajama's, scarves, sheets, towels and Skylander sets left to name a few things.  There were still pallets of their deals everywhere we went.  We also hit up a few less popular stores in the morning.

Around 4pm I went back out with my sister to the mall and was delighted to see the number of stores there still running decent sales.  Old Navy (at 5pm-ish) was the craziest place I seen all day w/ their 50% off.  

Sams at 5 in the afternoon had most of their BF stuff, not tons but not sold out either.  I was there for their rotisserie turkey, I mean chicken on steroids.... Oh and other lovely things such as kitty litter.  Michaels was more picked over but again, still had a lot of their stuff.  My brother ended up in their clearance section though and scored some nice cake pans and specialty baking stuff.     I got some ribbon to do a Christmas mini top hat for a party next week....

JCP was crazy from 8 til midnight.  Most of the pajama's were gone.  gloves that were $1.99 non-existent.  Levi's were pretty picked over.  also the coats were 70% off and there wasn't many left of the nice wool ones.  Jewelry department was swamped but they were giving out numbers like at a deli meat counter and it kept people from taking cuts.  It kept things moving and I was able to shop while waiting for my number to be called.  

This was a leftover, only because it was evident by the way Walmart handled the sale of Monsters University. At a time when everything else was available, Monsters University was conspicuously absent, even in the regular protected case section in the electronics dept! Sure, you could find the more costly set edged in silver, but where was the $9.99 version? I just happened to make one more trip the next day, (Friday) and go figure, there were 3 sitting there in their cases! I took them up to the register, and they rang up at $9.99! I also cleaned up on put-backs as well. I later called my partner and you could hear his wife screaming with excitement when he told her that I had found her one!

I was very surprised at all the leftovers too. I did over half my shopping online and the rest in the store. That is a big change for me, so I am wondering if online sales increased this year for retailers.

Since alot of the retailers started before Thursday and the East Coast was bracing for tons of snow, I am sure there was an increase online sales.  

Re: the Samsung TVs, those were available everywhere for the exact same price, and you could buy them online with free delivery (and in some cases no tax) several days beforehand, so that's not too surprising.

Hey Brad,

What do they do with all of the leftovers?  Do they sell them back to the maker, or do they store them?  Will they clearance them for even cheaper?  

I just picked up a set of the $25 sheets at Walmart this afternoon. They had tons of the "while supplies last" stuff throughout their midways.

When I was at Walmart late yesterday afternoon they had a few pallets of those sheets!

I asked if they had the kids bedding sets yet and no one ever saw any. I don't think that store got any in.

I was in my Target tonight around 6pm and the still had 50 32 inch tvs and about 30 19 inch tvs.  Also a ton of those game chairs with speakers.   All of these things were still in the men's clothing department.  They would probably sell more of them if the moved them to the electronics department.  Also still had tons of movies. 

Funny I was thinking about this topic this morning as I was in Target with the pjs, movies and certain toys (keyboard, air hockey table, art table) still at BF prices and still piled in the same places not moved and not selling.  I even shopped Old Navy BF this year at 10am Friday and 4 people were on line.  I did do well in Crazy 8 (gymboree store) with no line.  I didn't even bother with TRU

• Like 1

I saw some similar things in stores where I shopped on Long Island.  As Brad points out, the TVs have become so available at low prices that they are more likely to last through the weekend.  As long as the stores sell them by Dec. 24, they will be happy.  As you point out, much Black Friday shopping is absolutely about lowest price with less regard to features and even size.  But the higher end stuff is more likely to sell in coming weeks to more discriminating buyers.

On item I noticed in particular was the $388 HP laptop at Walmart with an AMD processor.  I saw a pallet shortly after it had been opened well into the evening.  It had no sign posted and people were snatching them up even though they were uncertain which laptop it was and what the price was, though there was some word of mouth.  Later, I saw a number of them deposited throughout the store where people had apparently decided they didn't want them after all.  (Also shows the "careful" deliberation that many people apply to a purchase costing hundreds of dollars.)

Was in Walmart in West Lebanon, NH today with son and noticed lots of PJs, CDs, DVDs, toys.  My son was happy to have picked up a blue Nintendo 2DS at the $99 price today - even though the price sign for the $129 (I think that was the price on the sign) had already been increased.

I was in a bit of a hurry so I didn't look to see TVs or sheet sets, etc. One of my friends had been in Walmart on Friday and was surprised that even though they had laptops left, they had already been marked up to the non-BF price later in afternoon.  She decided to just keep looking.

I went to 3 Walmart's and 2 Targets and at all of them they had the same things left.

Walmart

Plenty of 700ct queen sheets- normally a fight breaks out over the sheets

Nintendo 2DS- boxes full of them in both colors

Movies-tons of them

Target

Barbies everywhere

Nikon camera

How long do you guys think Walmart will keep the sheet sets at those prices?  I might pick up a few if I can get them at $25 but I don't want to go to WM if they're regular price. 

Our Wal-Mart had at least 4 bins full of sheets left.  Normally people fight over those so I was surprised there were any left.  They had the price marked at $24.96.  

• Like 1