Online Black Friday Shopping Suggestions?

lilac100

Ok it's looking like I will be having surgery and unable to participate in the Black Friday tradition. Anyone have any suggestions for online shopping on Black Friday? I've never done it but this year I'm gonna have to try. Edited by freesia39
title clarification

last year best buy, radio shack and staples had good sales and I think all had free shipping over a certain amount. I did walmart online a few years ago but the BIGGEST THING is you have to keep up with the site to find out which store websites sales open when (time zones, etc). I stayed up last year and just kept checking on the stuff I wanted and got everything I had wanted. Hopefully you'll be feeling up to staying awake or can get someone to do it for you:)

That doesn't sound like fun at all... Will you be missing T-Giving dinner with the fam too?

----

Amazon.com had some decent Wii game & accessory deals, I bought some stuff last year.

Newegg.com had some great deals last year too. I bought some LCD monitors and graphics cards (they had other electronic items too.

Bestbuy.com has limited supplies of the items they offer in the stores. NO BB door-busters are available online though. I bought a GPS and hard drive from them for BF 2007 -- no way would I have waited in that massive line on BF for just two items!

That doesn't sound like fun at all... Will you be missing T-Giving dinner with the fam too?

----

Amazon.com had some decent Wii game & accessory deals, I bought some stuff last year.

Newegg.com had some great deals last year too. I bought some LCD monitors and graphics cards (they had other electronic items too.

Bestbuy.com has limited supplies of the items they offer in the stores. NO BB door-busters are available online though. I bought a GPS and hard drive from them for BF 2007 -- no way would I have waited in that massive line on BF for just two items!

I shouldn't miss dinner but I won't be able to cook it this year so no telling what we will have. Knowing my family burgers and fries.

I shouldn't miss dinner but I won't be able to cook it this year so no telling what we will have. Knowing my family burgers and fries.

I don't know about Indiana, but a grocery store chain here (Wegmans) does heat-n-eat style of food, it's less expensive than catering. I just did a Google search and came up with this: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/339471

You could look for something like that in your area. You could also have it catered, buffet-style.

I am assuming you don't feel well enough to go out to eat? I didn't see what ails you.

I don't know about Indiana, but a grocery store chain here (Wegmans) does heat-n-eat style of food, it's less expensive than catering. I just did a Google search and came up with this: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/339471

You could look for something like that in your area. You could also have it catered, buffet-style.

I am assuming you don't feel well enough to go out to eat? I didn't see what ails you.

Im not sure if you have Giant or Weis supermarkets where you live but they also offer thanksgivng dinner pre cooked, you have to order a week ahead of time but can pick up thanksgiving day and its pretty reasonably priced.

alot of online places will actually let you start ordering at 12:01am on Friday. Some stores actually have Turkey day online specials too.

I do Best Buy online and get alot of the deals that way - but if you are looking for a cheap laptop .. you won't be able to get those deals online.

It really depends on what you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
I've never tried on-line BF shopping before. When are you able to make purchases?...midnight?...5am? Is a lot of the stuff that's in-store also on-line? I have noticed that Cyber Monday isn't all that great. Do they have door busters on-line? Any info would help! Thanks!

I had great experiences with online shopping. I got on the computer at 11 pm, because I am Central Illinois and most stores went on at midnight eastern. I went on Sears first and bought the camera I wanted which was a doorbuster and the store I go to has no electronics. I then went on Walmart and bought several other items and then Best buy to pick up a computer for my daughter. I then went to sleep and got up at 5 and headed to the nearest town which is 45 miles to shop leisurely. My mom won't shop on line and she was all flustered and upset because the stuff she wanted was gone. My son wanted a portable DVD player and they were all gone online and instore. We walked around for a while and found several at the checkouts tossed iin carts. We ended up with everything we wanted.

I did the online shopping last year at 11 pm. Thursdsay. I am in Central illinois and most stores had stuff up eastern time. I got everything I wanted and then went shopping at 5 am just to see what else I could find. It was so easy. I did site to store on Walmart stuff and didn't have to pay shipping. Best buy and Sears also easy. I watched everyone in the store frantically looking for stuff and felt smug that mine was already on the way.

It's not the same. There are sales, online sales, and black friday. BF is a wait in line event for a reasonable shot at some minimum quantity of merchandise at some well know prices. If you want it bad enough, and get in line early enough, you will get it.

With online sales, the merchandise may be different and the pool of buyers is virtually unlimited. For some items, it's like playing the lottery. For others, you will be able to buy it when you get home Friday afternoon.

I go out on BF if there is a deal or there are deals that make it worth my participating. If I'm not out, I'm always looking for a deal online, so BF online is just another day for me.

The only items I've checked store for over the last two years have been HDTVs, and they've always been in stock during my first check - usually around 7:30 AM EST.

So, I'd be willing to be that if you wanted to just hover at your computer around midnight EST, you can probably get whatever you're looking for.

I was worried - from the title - you were shopping online for the surgery - not because of it:shock:

I don't suppose you have a friend or relative who is out of work or has free time that you trust to do your shopping for you?

Not really, but I've decided I'm not gonna worry about it. Not sure when surgery is I go to schedule it next week.

BF online CAN be as good as or better than BF in store.

Yes, we can all find deals almost every day of the year on items here and there. The difference on BF online (not so much Cyber Monday anymore for some reason..) is that you get more choices and within a certain time frame that the BEST deals are available. Stores that are "online only," like Newegg, have "doorbuster" specials too that are often too good to pass up. Because they like to start at a given time, typcally midnight EST, we can get lots of the big ticket items with free shipping, no tax, special bonus bundles, etc. without stressing out at the onslaught of the crowds.

My one piece of advice for online BF shopping:

Sign up(register) and sign in to the websites you think you will be shopping for ahead of time so when the time comes to checkout, you'll only have to continue with payment and not the whole registration that all sites require. It could be the difference in getting the items you want and a couple of minutes that you wait for the confirmation email which would allow someone else to purchase your items/items in your cart are out of stock.

BF online CAN be as good as or better than BF in store.

Sign up(register) and sign in to the websites you think you will be shopping for ahead of time so when the time comes to checkout, you'll only have to continue with payment and not the whole registration that all sites require. It could be the difference in getting the items you want and a couple of minutes that you wait for the confirmation email which would allow someone else to purchase your items/items in your cart are out of stock.

Definitely true.

I did awesome online last year with the bulk at circuit city.Circuit city, best buy and radioshack(i think) all have thanksgiving day deals too. Some of the bigger items may not be available online BUT I think there were some tv's and laptops last year I just didn't need any then. Amazon had some amazing sales too, if I remember correctly they had a lot of the dvd's and video games cheaper than the stores and free shipping over $25.

I've had some 3am starts at BestBuy and they weren't pleasant. Even if you are at the front of the line, nothing is guaranteed and some of the ppl ahead just want to sell their tickets to highest bidder :no:

Some ppl really enjoy the hunt etc, I'm more of a get in/get out person with as little hassle as possible so online really saves me stress and time. Plus, for ppl with families, it seems to be getting more hectic every year (pushing,rushing the doors, etc).I don't think I'll ever give it up, but I'm happy to wait in car or away from crazy mob to get into store a little later after bulk of stuff is bought online.

As it gets closer to BF, we have a separate sub-forum just for the online BF shopping. We'll have a thread with a schedule of times when items will go on-sale online as well.

Just keeping checking the forum here and you won't miss a thing.