Any opinions on the Samsung Camera on the front page?

The End

I’ve decided that I’m gonna pick up a digital camera this year. Since I don’t have one, any camera that I get is obviously an upgrade. But if I’m gonna get one, and I have several to choose from, I might as well get the best one in my price range ($100 and under).

From what I can see, not only is the camera at Wal-Mart the cheapest at the stores near me, but it also appears to offer the best quality-to-price ratio. But since I’m new to Digital cameras, I may well be overlooking something. Does anybody have any opinions on this camera that can help me with my decision?

While I’m at it, if I could, I’d like to ask a general Digital Camera question. I know that digital cameras use memory cards to expand the space for storing pictures. The problem is, I’m not sure what type. I’ve seen several different formats available in the various ads (SD, HD-SD, MicroSD Ultra II Compactflash, Memory Stick Pro Duo, ect…) . I’d like to know which one I should be looking for so that I can pick one up cheap on BF. Is there a set format for Digital cameras? Or does the format vary by brand?

Thanks for any help you can give. :)

I’ve decided that I’m gonna pick up a digital camera this year. Since I don’t have one, any camera that I get is obviously an upgrade. But if I’m gonna get one, and I have several to choose from, I might as well get the best one in my price range ($100 and under).

From what I can see, not only is the camera at Wal-Mart the cheapest at the stores near me, but it also appears to offer the best quality-to-price ratio. But since I’m new to Digital cameras, I may well be overlooking something. Does anybody have any opinions on this camera that can help me with my decision?

While I’m at it, if I could, I’d like to ask a general Digital Camera question. I know that digital cameras use memory cards to expand the space for storing pictures. The problem is, I’m not sure what type. I’ve seen several different formats available in the various ads (SD, HD-SD, MicroSD Ultra II Compactflash, Memory Stick Pro Duo, ect…) . I’d like to know which one I should be looking for so that I can pick one up cheap on BF. Is there a set format for Digital cameras? Or does the format vary by brand?

Thanks for any help you can give. :)

The memory cards do vary.

I got a Samsung Digital Camera two years ago and I Love it takes great pictures and it's a five mega pixel Camera.:)

If I were looking for a new Camera that would be the one I would get plus you can get a case and a 1 meg memory card for 10 bucks more.:yup:

Go down and see if you can check it out and see if you like it.

Thanks for the replies.

I did a little bit of checking around online looking for this camera so that I can see what people have to say about it. Unfortunately, the model number (I believe it’s BL103) doesn’t seem to be available anywhere. I’m guessing that this is a specially made item for Wal-Mart’s BF sale.

That means that there’s really no way of getting opinions of people that have this camera. The best that I can do is to get people’s opinions of what we can see from the ad (brand name, number of Mega Pixels, the Optical Zoom & the size of the LCD).

From what I can see from checking around, the number of Mega Pixels seems to be pretty high for a camera in this price range. So that’s good. The Optical Zoom & the size of the LCD screen on back seems to be fairly typical of cameras in this price range. While it would be good to have a higher level of Optical Zoom, at this price range I can’t really complain with 3X. So I guess I’m satisfied with what it has.

The only thing left to is to consider the brand name. It looks like crazypurgatory is pretty happy with his Samsung camera. So does anybody else have any opinions on Samsung brand cameras?

I'm also after a digital camera but Kmart also has a samsung BL1050 with a memory card and a case for 99.99 . The only difference is this one is a 10 mega with a 5.2 x zoom. I just looked this up and it retails for 169.99 - 199.00 . You can also buy it now on ebay NEW for 90.00 with the case and card. So if i was to buy this ebay would definitly be the way to go .

Because of that I might stick with the one from walmart but I like a good zoom on my camera so I am torn at the moment ! :(

Just researched the walmart camera and i can't find it but I did find one just like it that you can buy online at walmart.com for 134.00 right now. That one also has face detection which is awesome. So I have to say that the bf camera is probley a steal at 69.00. Just keep in mind the card and case are 10$ extra, it doesn't come with the camera so you'll have to search for that as well !!

Oh yeah, thanks to crazypurgatory for answering my memory card question. I figured it'd be something like that.

It'll probably say on the box what format it supports. I’ll just check it when I pick it up.

No problem I'm glad I can help you out.

BTW my name is in by my avatar.:)

One more thing to look for is one that has the most optical zoom.

You want the lens to to all the work.:yup:

When you use the digital zoom the picture tends to get a little pixelated.

I was also looking for specs on this and have not been able to find any.

I agree that it is probably a special model number made only for Walmart to prevent places having to price match or competing against them.

After going thru the Samsung site in search of the camera, I have to say that since there is nothing anywhere on the site about this model number, that the chances are great that support and servicing for the camera could be difficult to obtain.

On the site, you have to select your model number in order to do anything so even getting the camera registered could be a major problem.

After fighting with their system, I finally selected a product so I could get an email sent to them and I requested information on this specific camera. I will post any reply I get here so everyone will know.

a week before holloween a :yuck: i know bought the samsung camera and the lens area wouldnt close so she returned it and they told her they couldnt take it back because a piece of the box was missing so she found the piece of the box and i went with her and told them that camera wasnt working and she had bought it a couple of days prior so the woman went and tested it and said it took good pictures that they couldnt accept back because it worked fine so i told the lady to turn the camera off and the lens area stayed open and wouldnt retract and then she accused :yuck: of scratching the lens area and i had to tell her that since she put the battery in it the lens area wouldnt close or retract she came the next day she bought it and they said she couldnt return it or exchange it because there was a piece of the box missing she went home found the piece and took the camera back and gave her a hard time well the lady from electronics did because the lady at the returns register told us that it wasnt the first time somebody had returned this camera so when the electronics lady came back she said that they are going to be loosing money on this got mad and told the lady and the returns desk to give us an exchange and i told her no that we wanted the money back so she said fine and when she left i thanked the cashier maybe its the cameras because she said we werent the first to return those cameras which were on sale that week for 99.00 so i really wouldnt recommend this camera they have a nice kodak on sale too

Now I am torn. I was all excited about picking up the L200, then found out that the camera they are really offering is a BL103? What is it? Samsung put their name on it, so why don't they take credit for it on thier website? Hmmm, what to do...

Does Walmart have special return policies for cameras?

Now I am torn. I was all excited about picking up the L200, then found out that the camera they are really offering is a BL103? What is it? Samsung put their name on it, so why don't they take credit for it on thier website? Hmmm, what to do...

You sould call up Samsung and ask them about the camera they have good tech support.:yup:

And they are in the U.S.A too.:gdthums:

There is all kinds of information here http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10727357

Some things that stick out:

Light Sensitivity: ISO 100, ISO 800, ISO 400, ISO 200, ISO 80, ISO 1600, ISO auto looks like a descent range

Special Effects: Negative, Black & White, Sepia, Neutral, Blue, Green, Red

Max Shutter Speed: 1/1500 sec

Min Shutter Speed: 8 sec Seriously? My kids will have changed their clothes, fought, made up, and smeared chocolate on their faces in 8 sec!

Supported Battery Details: 2 x AA alkaline battery ( included ) ¦ 2 x AA NiMH rechargeable battery ( optional ) I wouldn't count on those included alkalines. Save them for the remote and pick up some rechargeables.

Supported Flash Memory: MultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCardplus

Additional Features: Audio recording, USB 2.0 compatibility, built-in speaker, auto power save, date/time stamp, DPOF support, sharpness control, digital image rotation, PictBridge support, AE lock, AF lock, in-camera red-eye removal, resizing an image, saturation control, contrast control, face detection, built-in help guide, Advanced Shake Reduction (ASR), automatic display brightness adjustment

Edited by fluffkin79

I got an answer. The lady at the photo counter told me that cameras are returnable, even if they have been opened. As long as the box, receipt, and all of the parts are there you can return it for any reason you wish - even if it is just because it didn't work as well as you had hoped.

I think the picture is wrong...According to Samsung's website the 100 series has only 8MP and the Walmart ad clearly states that the camera is 10MP. My guess would be that the image used in the ad is similar enought to the l200 so they used it.

Hopefully I am right because I am planning on getting one for my daughter on Friday.

I have been reseasrsching the digital camera sales, that's what I want for christmas. I have a Kodak I bught 6 or 7 years ago and I will NEVER have another one. The batteries only last long enough to take 4 or 5 pictures and they have to be recharged again. I have bought several sets of rechargeables but same problem. The Kodak easyshare software is horrible. It freezes the computer up and it does the same on my mom's computer. I have decided on the Samsung i85 that SEARS has listed for 129. it is 199 now so I put it in my cart online to be ready to buy at midnight. It has a rechargeable battery pack and my daughters Sony has the same thing and they work great. It has a built in mp3 player and video recorder and a alot of extras like face recognition. It also has 5 zoom. Look at the ad. For the price it is the best. Insignia is a low quality store brand, wouldn't trust it.