How much can I expect to find a tree for?

floridasun5

This is the first year I will be looking for a new Christmas tree. I lost mine in a fire this year, so I need a new one and am finally going to buy a pre-lighted one. I'm looking for a normal size tree - 6-8 ft, pre-lighted. I never paid attention to the tree deals previous years, so can anyone tell me what kind of deals I can expect for trees? Is it possible to get one around $100? Target? Lowes/ Home Depot? Thanks! :holiday07

$100 for a pre-lit tree would be an unbelievable find. The cheapest I've found so far is $189 at Hobby Lobby. Otherwise, you're probably looking upwards of $200-$400. I've even seen some for $1,000!!! My Mom is looking for a pre-lit tree this year as the lights on the one she had before have burned out and she has tried and tried to fix them. They just won't work, so I've been trying to do some comparison shopping for her.

I heard that the lights on prelite trees don't really last long 1-2 years and then you need to change the lights on it etc etc.

My dh will still not buy a prelite tree it drives me nuts I told him then he can put all those lights on it from now on...he said , that's fine.GRRRRRR

I bought my 7' pre-lit tree last year on Thanksgiving day at K-mart for $99. And it spins with adjustable speeds! I love my tree....the only thing I don't like is my "multi colored" lights are only red, white and green.....I just add a big strand of my own lights to it to add in those other colors.

I got a pre-lit tree at Target last year for $49. It is 6 ft and they had all white lights or multi-colored (I got multi-colored) It was the weekend after Thanksgiving, but not necesarrily a BF deal. They had lots of them. We went and got it first thing Saturday morning.

I hope you find something similar this year.

Kmart does usually have a prelit for cheap on BF. So does Target and Sears. I would wait till those flyers come out to make final decision.

I also have been looking like CRAZY to find a new tree. My problem is that most of them are slim and clear lights!! I want a 7.5 ft (asked my DH to cut a hole in the ceiling so we could have a 12 footer but he said no :) ) wide based, short needled, never out w/ at least 800 multi colored lights. Kmart may have what I am looking for although 54 in wide is a little less than I want but I may have to suck it up I guess.

I heard that the lights on prelite trees don't really last long 1-2 years and then you need to change the lights on it etc etc.

My dh will still not buy a prelite tree it drives me nuts I told him then he can put all those lights on it from now on...he said , that's fine.GRRRRRR

My SIL had a prelit tree and said that when the lights go out you can't replace them. So, you either have to string lights on top or buy a whole new tree. Not sure, just what I was told.

If you really want a good prelit tree for a good price, maybe you should consider other options to make it through this year and then buy one the day after Christmas. Don't know about other stores but we got ours at WalMart the day after Xmas for 50%off.

Does anyone you know have an extra that you could borrow this year? Don't laugh, I have two trees upstairs. When we bought ours a couple years ago we never got rid of the old one. Or maybe you could use a real one. My dad and I used to go cut one down ourselves. Someone in our family had some trees growing on their land.

My SIL had a prelit tree and said that when the lights go out you can't replace them. So, you either have to string lights on top or buy a whole new tree. Not sure, just what I was told.

If you really want a good prelit tree for a good price, maybe you should consider other options to make it through this year and then buy one the day after Christmas. Don't know about other stores but we got ours at WalMart the day after Xmas for 50%off.

Does anyone you know have an extra that you could borrow this year? Don't laugh, I have two trees upstairs. When we bought ours a couple years ago we never got rid of the old one. Or maybe you could use a real one. My dad and I used to go cut one down ourselves. Someone in our family had some trees growing on their land.

I've never seen a pre lit tree that you couldnt change the bulbs on.:confused:

I've never seen a pre lit tree that you couldnt change the bulbs on.:confused:

Our old one had lights that could be replaced, except for one per strand (it was glued in for some reason or another). You can guess what happened.

Got a tree last year, wanted one that looked nice but had NO lights. It was either get an el-cheapo tree, or get one with lights. Took hours to get all the lights off the one we got. I'm just particular, I grew up with a tree with multi-colored lights that had the different strands blink on and off and different times, and wanted the same thing for this tree.

Kmart does usually have a prelit for cheap on BF. So does Target and Sears. I would wait till those flyers come out to make final decision.

I also have been looking like CRAZY to find a new tree. My problem is that most of them are slim and clear lights!! I want a 7.5 ft (asked my DH to cut a hole in the ceiling so we could have a 12 footer but he said no :) ) wide based, short needled, never out w/ at least 800 multi colored lights. Kmart may have what I am looking for although 54 in wide is a little less than I want but I may have to suck it up I guess.

I am looking for the same type of tree. I am hoping that someone will have a good sale for one on BF.

My parents got a really expensive prelit tree from HL. It worked fine the first year. Then last year every single strand of lights ended up shorting out. Not one bulb out here or there but the whole strand would get really bright then fry. My mom cut off all the lights (took her forever) and is just going to put her own lights on this year. She was really bummed. The whole reason she bought the tree was for the ease and it ended up being a bigger pain in the bum than a normal tree would have been.

K-Mart always has a good sale on the trees at BF, but I know our local Lowes stores always put their christmas stuff 50% off like the 1st of december. They do it super early, which makes sense b/c then they don't have as much stuff left over the day after christmas to worry about selling and getting off their shelves.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a good deal on one. I know the amazing deals on trees are unfortunately after Christmas.

I've always been afraid that a pre-lit tree would burn out after the first year. That's just my kind of luck.

For those that find adding lights to the tree a pain, put them on vertically as opposed to around and around. It's much quicker, you can't tell the difference in the end and if a strand goes out, it's about a hundred times easier to swap it out.

Kmart had a gorgeous tree with GE multicolored lights on it..very bright I think the sign said

they were LCD or something. It was $299..too rich for my blood.

We are not going to have a tree this year. DS is coming home 12/23 late at night and I always take the tree down Christmas night anyways so not worth it for 2 days.

If you want to wait for the after Christmas sales, here's an idea. One year I bought my wife a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree. That was our main tree, and it was soooo easy to put up (pull out of box, put on lone red ball, and bend over to make it look extra pitiful). Just can't put a lot of big presents under it (maybe that's a good thing!).

We got our first pre-lit tree about 12 years ago at a Farm and Family Supply store on clearance the week after Christmas for about $30. It has worked great ever since. Every so often we get a bulb that goes out but we change it and no problem. It just happens that now my ornament collection has way outgrown the tree. When I get my new one I will probably save this one for whichever DD moves out on her own first!

My friend had a pre-lit tree and when one of the bulbs went out on hers witch was one section that whole section we out we went thru them all and never found it !We ended up taking those lights off and putting new ones on it! It really sucked! I love my tree i put the lites on every layer i put up!Lots of lights go on it I can read buy my tree!I love both colored and white lights on a tree! Edited by mrs.winter

• 3 weeks later...

I need a tree. It has to be fake, because my brother and I are allergic to tree pollen and mold. Here are the other things I am looking for:

• 4-6 feet tall
  • colored lights
  • not extremely wide
  • good quality, and will last a while- quality is more important than price
  • on a great sale sometime before Christmas

I'd prefer to get it before Thanksgiving if possible because I hate crowds. Anyone know of a great deal? Quality matters before price, but it also has to be a good price.