When is to old to go trick or treating?

littlesdcen

Once you graduate high school I think the trick or treating should be done and over.

But I think that so long as you are still a student you should be allowed to trick or treat if you want.

I remember back east we used to see the little kids from 3pm til dusk trick or treating. You'd get a lull at dinner time, and then from dark until 8pm it was all big kids/teenagers (8pm town enforced curfew)

Some alternatives that I've heard of are called "trunk or treat" but I'm not really sure I understand what it is as I've never participated.

Some alternatives that I've heard of are called "trunk or treat" but I'm not really sure I understand what it is as I've never participated.

Our daughter's school is doing trunk or treat. All the parents who signed up for this meet at the choosen location with your kids (the student AND siblings) dressed in their costumes. You also being enough treats with you for each child there. The school is proving us with the number children that will be there so we know how many treats to bring. All parents will be parking their cars in a large circle or square with the trunks facing inwards. All the kids will go trunk or treating to all the cars. Parents are to supervise that no children leave the enclosed area like trying to slip in between cars. This way all the kids can go trick or treating with their friends in a safe and supervised manner.

We had to have our dog (14yrs) put to sleep on Halloween when my dd was in the 2nd grade, so she was too upset to go that year and she hasn't wanted to go since (now 4th grade). My ds stopped going when he was in the 4th grade, he would rather play video games. Our neighbors daughter is in the 11th grade and she still goes.

Heck I dress up and go with my 10 YR Old lmfao... We Loveee O'Hallows Eve... My son whos 16 has stopped but dresses up in eleborate costumes and scares the older kids 11-14 ages.. My Daughter still does and shes 14..its alot of fun...

My kids all still go, we have a time frame in our town, usually 6~8. We just go around our neighborhood but there are alot of churches that have the trunk or treat around here too, I personally do not like to be driving around on halloween night..too many kids on the streets so we stay right here, golfcarts are a big mode of transportation in our neighborhood, it's kinda neat!!:)

Oh my oldest is 12.....& YES I agree as long as you dress up it's all good!!

Edited by amberleigh2

One of the local cities passed an ordiance this year to keep anyone over 13 yrs of age from trick or treating. This is because they have vandelism problems and it seems to start about this age.

Most kids I know stopped by themselves when they are 12-13. It think as this is a good age. It does bother me when older teens come to the door in what could barely be considered a costume or none at all. And when they bring a car load of kids to the subdivision because they know it is the place to get "good" treats - that really bothers me.

I cannot believe how many area's have actual age imposed rules. We have a time constraint for the event. It is 6-8pm. No age limits though. I do agree w/ the above posters- toddler, child, teen, adult- I don't care- but I want to see the spirit by an attempt at a costume.

My son is 15, almost 16, and he will not be going. I asked him just the other day if he wanted to go w/ my neice and nephew (they are 4 &6). He said no, he's going bow hunting instead w/ his dad, and he'll will not get home until after it starts. I will set aside from candy for him from what I buy to pass out. He's still my baby I gues. ;)

I can't believe all the cities/towns who are so concerned about regulating Halloween! Are there no other concerns in those areas? Are they really so worried that a 13 yo might get some candy?? I can understand the time thing, people don't want kids coming at all hours, but the age thing baffles me. How exactly do they enforce this? Do the kids have to carry their birth certificates with them? My son has a bf who has always looked much older then he is (he's now 15 and looks early 20's, has full beard, over 6' tall). I'm not sure what my kids are doing this year, they are all teenagers, but they went trick or treating last year and had a good time. We always get together with my brother and his kids and take the kids around my brother's neighborhood. I just can't imagine refusing a kid some candy because they are 12 or 13.

lol i had to laugh at this.. my son is 17 and loves to go now.. when he was younger he would not take part in it. at all. from age 2 till ohhh 7th grade. i do have two younger ones and its hard to get them into it also. but they do go and do it. i on the other hand feel.. if u have the holiday spirt no matter what age i think u should go and do it. i dress up and take the kids out we go all out for the house and let others come in and see. we have everyone room in the house done on the first fl. out side we have people from other towns to come and see. and ask when open doors are. so i still think if u have the spirit and u dress u should go. do i want candy not really just want to put a smile on somones elses face to see how we look. if they come to my door with no costume i say ohhh no treat u must want a trick.?? and then i make them sing or dance or something funny to earn it. lol HAPPY HOWLLOWEEN HAHAH howl lol get it lol

I live in one of the cities with the age laws (as previously posted) and while I see the disappointment for some of the kids just over the age limit I do understand the reason for the laws. There are just too many trouble makers out there that ruin it. While I'm sure many of those older kids are well behaved - many are not. They just don't belong with the tiny kids out there. I've seen too many 16 and 17 year old kids picking on the younger ones, stealing candy, and just all out causing trouble. That's the reason for the rules. And no, if a 13 year old is with a parent and younger sibling a cop isn't going to pick him up. It just to keep the bands of older teens off the streets. Basically if you and your friends are trolling around in a car- you don't belong out there.

We are going to be spending halloween at my dad's in Wisconsin, and apparently they not only mandate the times that kids can trick or treat there, but the DAY as well. Certain parts of the town go on Friday, and other parts of the town go on Saturday.

I personally have no problem with the time mandates (from 5 - 8 pm) but who would want to tell their kids that they aren't allowed to go trick-or-treating on Friday because it's not their neighborhood's turn? That just doesn't make sense to me. Plus then you get kids out on both nights. Just seems like more of a mess to me... Luckily my dad lives in the area that gets to go Friday night so I don't have to try to explain it to my kids.

My DD has not been since she was 13. She's 15 now. This Friday Night she has a Football game and the Band is dressing up for the football game (Away game). DS is 13, and he has not been since he was 11. We have done the trunk a treat and we go to friends family. Now they do fall festivals and halloween parties at church and a friends homes.

This has been an ongoing discussion in my household. I have two DDs one is 22 and the other is 15. My 22 year old says that my 15 yr old is too old to go trick or treating. I say its o.k. because the kids have a good time. All her friends dress up and they meet at our house and I make fun "halloween" themed snacks for them and then they go out. Trick or treating is only until 7:00pm in our town, so there back by 7:30ish and they go to a haunted house afterwards. I see nothing wrong with it. I would have to say we get about equal amounts of high schoolers and little kids at our house. So I say once your out of high school, then trick or treating should stop. ;)

we are doing halloween in our town on Saturday but thats because I live in East Texas and we cant have that interfere with our high school football :rolleyes: but I live in a town of about 2000 and they shut down the down town and all the business's hand out candy and they have a carnival its nice and safe and everyone knows everyone.

edit: would have helped if I answered the op question im spacey today..I think as long as you dress up there shouldnt be an age limit. My family love love halloween and always dress up

Edited by msdarkness