When is to old to go trick or treating?

littlesdcen

My 12 yr old ds has decided he's too old to go this year:(. Now my 17 yr old dd is still going:rotflol:. She's heading out with a group of friends but they all dress up.

I'm like many of you. I don't mind their age as long as they are in costume! I had a couple groups of teens here last year that weren't in costume. I handed them each 1 small piece of candy. The younger kids or the older kids in costume got a goodie bag full of candy. I didn't want to make the teens mad and have them come back and egg my house or something but I wasn't going to give them the larger goodies either:p

One of the local cities passed an ordiance this year to keep anyone over 13 yrs of age from trick or treating. This is because they have vandelism problems and it seems to start about this age.

Most kids I know stopped by themselves when they are 12-13. It think as this is a good age. It does bother me when older teens come to the door in what could barely be considered a costume or none at all. And when they bring a car load of kids to the subdivision because they know it is the place to get "good" treats - that really bothers me.

I wish I had your problem I never get enough trick or treaters :)

I live in Wisconsin. Our city sets the date for trick or treat, usually the Sunday closet to Halloween. We trick or treat from 4-6. We don't have any laws that state a cutoff. We don't have issues or problems that I'm aware of.

I would hope my kids stopped trick or treating before highschool, but if they are dressed up I don't see a big deal.

I live in one of the cities with the age laws (as previously posted) and while I see the disappointment for some of the kids just over the age limit I do understand the reason for the laws. There are just too many trouble makers out there that ruin it. While I'm sure many of those older kids are well behaved - many are not. They just don't belong with the tiny kids out there. I've seen too many 16 and 17 year old kids picking on the younger ones, stealing candy, and just all out causing trouble. That's the reason for the rules. And no, if a 13 year old is with a parent and younger sibling a cop isn't going to pick him up. It just to keep the bands of older teens off the streets. Basically if you and your friends are trolling around in a car- you don't belong out there.

First, the tiny kids should be with parents, then they wouldn't be picked on. Second, if someone is handing out candy, it's hard to steal. Third, if some teens, or even adults, are intent on walking around and causing trouble, they will do it regardless if they are trick or treating or if its Halloween. I lived in quite a few different neighborhoods in different states and have never seen a situation where teens are causing such a disruption that they enact laws about Halloween. Yes, I've seen a house or two that got TP'd, I don't think it's the end of the world. And I was referring to the 13 yo who doesn't have a younger sibling, like my dd. Are you going to turn her away all dressed up in her dragon fairy costume (that she was very exited to get), because she's 13? I personally wouldn't have the heart to turn any child away. It's just candy!

There is a very wealthy exclusive neighborhood in my town (I do not live there for sure :no:)

anyways people from all over would drop their kids off at this neighborhood to get the

"good stuff". A few years back they ended up hiring cops to patrol both entrances to the

subdivision to stop people that didn't live there from coming in.

I think 13 or so is a good age to stop and I do like the time limits. I myself will not answer

the door after 8pm for trick or treaters..too late. I am thinking it will be a PITA this year

since Halloween is on a Friday night

There is a very wealthy exclusive neighborhood in my town (I do not live there for sure :no:)

anyways people from all over would drop their kids off at this neighborhood to get the

"good stuff". A few years back they ended up hiring cops to patrol both entrances to the

subdivision to stop people that didn't live there from coming in.

I think 13 or so is a good age to stop and I do like the time limits. I myself will not answer

the door after 8pm for trick or treaters..too late. I am thinking it will be a PITA this year

since Halloween is on a Friday night

I think it is so strange all these subdivisions not wanting kids that dont live in that particular subdivision trick or treating there. Maybe I am wrong, but to me the more the merrier. I don't only want kids from my neighborhood :confused:

I love seeing the kids all dressed up. All ages too. My son who I thought was going hunting found out his dad will be out of town now. So, he has decided to go trick-or-treating w/ my mom and sister w/ her kids (they are 4 & 6) rather than sit home. My son is 15 almost 16. He will be polite, say thank you, help his little cousins, and be dressed up. I would like to think that nobody would be rude to him because he's not a little kid. That is just plain wrong.

As for subdivisions. I cannot believe nobody in your county/town had a fit over their tax dollars being spent on keeping little kids from getting candy in a snooty neighborhood. We've found that many of the subdivisions that have a lot of houses, tend to give worse items. Seems like they get so over-run w/ kids they give out penny candy, because they give out so much of it.

I'm really excited to see how many kids we get tomorrow, we're in a new house and neighborhood this year. Though I have to go in the morning and buy candy. I could not buy it any earlier because it would of been eaten. I just have no willpower when it comes to candy.

I love seeing the kids all dressed up. All ages too. My son who I thought was going hunting found out his dad will be out of town now. So, he has decided to go trick-or-treating w/ my mom and sister w/ her kids (they are 4 & 6) rather than sit home. My son is 15 almost 16. He will be polite, say thank you, help his little cousins, and be dressed up. I would like to think that nobody would be rude to him because he's not a little kid. That is just plain wrong.

As for subdivisions. I cannot believe nobody in your county/town had a fit over their tax dollars being spent on keeping little kids from getting candy in a snooty neighborhood. We've found that many of the subdivisions that have a lot of houses, tend to give worse items. Seems like they get so over-run w/ kids they give out penny candy, because they give out so much of it.

I'm really excited to see how many kids we get tomorrow, we're in a new house and neighborhood this year. Though I have to go in the morning and buy candy. I could not buy it any earlier because it would of been eaten. I just have no willpower when it comes to candy.

No you misunderstood these people in this area hire and PAY for security..not the town!!!

In a local newspaper article these people were just inudated with people that are not from the area looking for good candy. The article even said that they give out the same

snack size mini bar candy as everyone else..people just assume they would get more because all these homes have wealthy owners

No you misunderstood these people in this area hire and PAY for security..not the town!!!

In a local newspaper article these people were just inudated with people that are not from the area looking for good candy. The article even said that they give out the same

snack size mini bar candy as everyone else..people just assume they would get more because all these homes have wealthy owners

Wow, with as much as the security must cost, everybody could have just bought more candy. :tongue1:

Anyway, I don't care how old they are as long as they have on a costume, but I only got 12 kids tonight. I wish I had more. I can remember my Grandmother always complaining about Mothers and Fathers bringing their babies out trick or treating because the babies don't even eat candy. I think the last year I went was my 7th grade year. Come on, it's one night a year.

We always go to a friends neighborhood to trick or treat with her kids. We like going as a bigger group and if we went in our neighborhood, our kids would come home emptyhanded! We live on a private road and are the youngest couple by far...no other kids in our neighborhood. We went tonight and there were SO many kids out. All ages. Everyone we saw was dressed up. I agree..no costume..no treat:) We have no Halloween laws here...I guess it's too big (Jacksonville) although even though we go as a group, my husband and I still get nervous around the big groups of teenagers. We have a 3 and a 1 year old and we pulled them in a wagon. One pulls and the other walks behind so no one tries to sneak up and steal the boys' candy.

What does everyone think about an ending time? My husband and I were talking about this tonight. We remember staying out until 9 or 10 when we got a little older, but by 8pm, most people had their lights out or put their candy on the front porch to be a free for all. By 8:45 it was like a ghost town except on the main roads in the neighborhood.

We always go to a friends neighborhood to trick or treat with her kids. We like going as a bigger group and if we went in our neighborhood, our kids would come home emptyhanded! We live on a private road and are the youngest couple by far...no other kids in our neighborhood. We went tonight and there were SO many kids out. All ages. Everyone we saw was dressed up. I agree..no costume..no treat:) We have no Halloween laws here...I guess it's too big (Jacksonville) although even though we go as a group, my husband and I still get nervous around the big groups of teenagers. We have a 3 and a 1 year old and we pulled them in a wagon. One pulls and the other walks behind so no one tries to sneak up and steal the boys' candy.

What does everyone think about an ending time? My husband and I were talking about this tonight. We remember staying out until 9 or 10 when we got a little older, but by 8pm, most people had their lights out or put their candy on the front porch to be a free for all. By 8:45 it was like a ghost town except on the main roads in the neighborhood.

I remember trick or treating till 930 or 10 also when I was a kid. However it was a ghost town by 8 !!! I was like well I guess we are done, I just love Halloween. Every year it seems like fewer people are giving out candy.