The Circuit City Campers' Thread

BrotherFlounder

I know that there are several of us, not nearly as many as the Best Buy or Target campers, but we're here! I figured it might be nice to have a thread to coordinate battle strategies---er, I mean, make plans of action. So! Where are you, when do you get there, and what are you going for? And do you have any good stories of past Black Fridays?

This'll be my third year in a row that I've shopped on Black Friday, and it's also the third year that I've started out at Circuit City. (Specifically the one at Regency in Jacksonville, FL.) I'm usually there about 3:00am, and since I'm often not going for the big ticket items, I haven't had a problem getting what I want. I think that for many of the good things, however, you'd have to get there around midnight. It's never nearly as crazy as the Best Buy next door which has a line wrapped around the store twice at 3:00am.

The best part of this particular line is that both Panera Bread and Chick-Fil-A come by selling hot coffee and breakfast. Panera even offered the use of their restrooms, as I recall. Geniuses!

I'm usually going for smaller technology stuff - flash drives and memory cards - as well as video games (they usually have a good selection; got Super Mario Galaxy for $30 last year). I'm also interested in their XM Radio selection this year, as mine is starting to give out.

We went last year to CC for the first time to camp out. Dont know if we will be going back this year. We were 11th on line at 5:30pm Thanksgiving Day. By the time they came out with the vouchers we were about 45. Once we got in the store we then spent the next 3 hours on line to try and gt the doorbusters we had the tickets for, only to find that 2 tickets we had for things there were not enough items so we ended up not getting them. We did end up walking out with 4 different computers (3 laptops & a desktop) for ourselves and for friends.

On top of that we still had to go home and send in the rebates. We will see when the ads come out if it is worth it for us to go there again or go back to BB were we have always goen for the 5 years previously.

I've done the Regency Best Buy! It is a zoo! Maybe I'll try the Circuit City if I need anything tech by that time. Not a lot on the lists this year as money is tighter than usual....I'm like you, kind of the smaller stuff, maybe a portable hard drive, movies and games. I'm not a big CC fan though, they screwed me big time last Christmas over an online order that didn't get delivered and I ended up paying for the items again at Gamestop on Christmas Eve to have them under the tree. (placed the order before Thanksgiving...),

I went to CC last year to get one of their big screen LCD tv's. Stood in line (with a cold) in the really cold weather for about 2 hours, and they were all gone by the time I entered the store. Left there (buying nothing), and went to Sears and got a great deal. Should've started at Sears for that. CC was a waste.

I did buy a laptop from them ~2 months ago, so no real hard feelings, but I'll probably start somewhere else unless they have exactly what I need/want.

The CC in Green Bay moved to a different store last year. It moved into a former Dicks Sporting Goods so the store it set up different. What was nice though is that checking out was amazing. Granted we went there around 7am and not 5, but we got in line and out in under 15 minutes. They had a nice system set up.

The real uestion is will CC make it to Black Friday....they are teetering on bankruptcy, and are very close to the point of no return. I loved CC when they sold appliances. Got a fridge and a vaccum there for awesome prices. Since then, not so much :(

I'm sure they will make it to BF. After this holiday season, they are as good as dead in their current form. The website is their best asset. I buy from it all of the time. Their stores are awful. They are poorly laid out, checkout is generally a mess, and don't get me started on the 1980s fax roll receipts that take an hour to print out.

I found CC's ad was misleading. I was in the store at the time it opened and was told they had already sold out of the loudly adverised laptops. They wasted hours of my time waiting in their line. So as I've needed other things in the last year I have totally avoided CC. I won't go there for anything. I continue to enjoy a laptop I bought at Comp USA some 4 or 5 years ago.

My CC northwest of Pittsburgh moved to a new building this year so it will be interesting to see how the lines are. Last year I felt I had no hope of getting in line in time there for one of the Sharp LCD HDTV's they had on sale so I strolled into the store around 8am and asked about them and they ordered one on the spot for me, despite the store being long sold out of them.

There aren't many CC's in my area so I'm not sure if the new layout of this store is a generic one or custom designed to the space, but I have been in my new store here and it looks like traffic flow will be much better than in past years. There is much more open space and the departments are organized much better with easier access to everything you need.

Much like all of us, I am in for the smaller items this year, specifically an external HD and a digital camera so if there are any good deals I'll be there early!

Last year was a NIGHTMARE at CC! I kid you NOT! I have been doing Black Friday for about 10 yrs and never experienced this. My girls and I hit Kohl's first then went straight to CC. They didn't just open their doors to shoppers. NO, they only let a handful in at a time. Hello, we live in MN where it's freaking freezing at 4am. It took me 2 hours to get through that store. My girls dropped me off, went to Target and then another store before I even got IN to CC. When I got in, I went for the car stereo, a couple of movies and that was it. It took me another HOUR to get through the line. It was the worst experience I ever had at any store. Then to top things off, they didn't tell me I'd need an adapter for the car that cost about another $90 when we went to install it. How nice. I think I'll stick with BB, where I was in and out of in 15 min after the CC debacle. The BB guys said the morning had gone totally smoothly. Good luck to all you CC shoppers and I pray you don't have the same experience.:yuck:

• 4 weeks later...

Last year was a NIGHTMARE at CC! I kid you NOT! I have been doing Black Friday for about 10 yrs and never experienced this. My girls and I hit Kohl's first then went straight to CC. They didn't just open their doors to shoppers. NO, they only let a handful in at a time. Hello, we live in MN where it's freaking freezing at 4am. It took me 2 hours to get through that store. My girls dropped me off, went to Target and then another store before I even got IN to CC. When I got in, I went for the car stereo, a couple of movies and that was it. It took me another HOUR to get through the line. It was the worst experience I ever had at any store. Then to top things off, they didn't tell me I'd need an adapter for the car that cost about another $90 when we went to install it. How nice. I think I'll stick with BB, where I was in and out of in 15 min after the CC debacle. The BB guys said the morning had gone totally smoothly. Good luck to all you CC shoppers and I pray you don't have the same experience.:yuck:

I would have just gone someplace else. Too much shopping, too little time. Even when I go to Best Buy, I make sure I'm one of the first on line.hen they open the doors I have someone get right on line to checkout and let others through until I get back with the other items I want that they don't give out tickets for. I'm usually out of BB by 5:30 or 6 the latest and then head to my next stop which is usually either CC or Staples, depending on the deals.

Im planning to strike at 2AM solo with blankets...

Whats the deal with CC?

Do they hand out tickets to those first in line , to those who want specific items?

Im going for the sony subs and amp.. I was originally planning for 4am but found out they open at 5, then might have the best buy style ticket thing...2am too late?

I do live in a major urban area, everybody has to have their subs, this is gonna be a major item here...

Tips Priciated!

I'm sure they will make it to BF. After this holiday season, they are as good as dead in their current form. The website is their best asset. I buy from it all of the time. Their stores are awful. They are poorly laid out, checkout is generally a mess, and don't get me started on the 1980s fax roll receipts that take an hour to print out.

Yes CC check out is Horrible!! You can buy something for 10 dollars and you have to wait for 10 recipts to print out and don't get me started on the rebates.