Bringing the kid?

dbaby4ever

I honestly think I'd feel safer taking my kids into a bar than out on BF. I have been run into, witnessed fights, had my ankles run over, got separated from my shopping buddies, etc. There is no way I would risk injuring my children over a $5 coffee pot or a $10 cabbage patch.

I could see a 10 year old and up, but other than that there is no way I would. I always look around at parents with kids and have to wonder...who drags their children out for shopping to freeze in line, possibly get trampled and really just overkill on the senses for the poor things. I always feel so bad! Stay at home and keep them cozy and safe!

The only thing I've seen that just really bugs me (and of course this is just my personal opinion) is when I see kids out that you can tell are only a few weeks or months old. It's really more of a cold issue than a crowd issue. I saw on mom that had a baby that wasn't even able to hold it's head up yet and they had the baby in a onsie, a pair of socks, and a blanket! I had on 3 layers of clothes!! :no:

I definately wouldn't take either of my girls out. (Lexi, no explination needed and Kaylie is only 2). She drives me nuts on any shopping trip crying for everything in sight. I'm sure when she gets older though she'l want to go with me. She loves shopping already.

This will be the first year my DD (now 11) is coming with me. She begged me last year, but back then she still suffered from severe bouts of "Whine and Complaint-Syndrom"

She is so excited, last week she dreamt of BF :yup:. She told me were standing in a line and is was a really good dream. (I just hope she won't be having nightmares after her 1st BF ;) )

How old is your kid?

How bad are the crowds in your area?

What will the weather be like?

Can't really tell you without knowing all that. If the crowds aren't that crazy and the weather's good, then bringing an infant could be acceptable. If it's snowing/sleeting, temps in the teens, then they need to be a good bit older (and be prepared to leave the line you stayed in all day and night, they may not be able to handle it that long). If the crowds are really bad, then wait until they're big enough to run over old people with your shopping cart while you grab all the doorbusters out of their carts. Teaches them the value of teamwork.

Anyways, if you think your child will be safe and won't be miserable, I say go for it. If not, then they need to stay at home.

I always feel bad for the kids I see standing out in the cold. One year I had a 2 month old baby and didn't want to leave her, so my sister came with me and waited in the van while I ran in and out of stores. That way I could leave the heat on in the van.

For me I wouldn't because that is the day our daughter believes were talking or I am talking to Santa. Since she is 10 I may not have too many years left but she will go on for her baby brothers sake.

Now what do I think ? Hey you have to do what you have to do .... If you want to shop and you have to bring the kid then by all means bring the kid/s.

My 10 yr old will stay with Grandma, the 9 month old will either stay or come with me and grandpa.

I took my 6 month old last year. She slept in her carseat the whole time we were out. Course, I didn't wait out in the cold. I didn't get to walmart until almost 8:00 am and still got nearly everything I was going for, as well as price matched some other stuff. I did leave the 3 year old with my sister for the day, but mainly because she would've seen the things I was getting for her.

I took my daughter when she was 3 months old. We waited for the lines to go in before getting out of the car so she stayed warm. She slept through the whole thing (noise never bothered her) and the stroller came in handy when I couldn't get a cart. I the city we lived in people tend to be friendly and helpful - I had some great conversations in line to check out and didn't even consider that we might get trampled. When DD was done, we went home. Then I went back out later when she could stay home with Dad. The only problem I had was that she filled her diaper as I was checking out. Home was too far away, so I had to take a fully loaded shopping cart into the tiny bathroom (I had already paid and wasn't going to leave it unattended, and customer service was a checkout -they couldn't watch my cart for me). One old woman complained, and her husband said "Well, would YOU leave YOUR things out here?" and offered to watch it for me.

You know what you and your son can handle. I wouldn't wait in line or try to get one of 5 available super-duper-gotta-have-it things that 500 people are waiting for. Maybe even wait an hour after the store opens. If he doesn't do well with the crowds you can always go home. Its not like your son would be the first to throw a temper tantum in Wal-Mart!

The only two places I ususally go are KMart and JoAnn Fabrics. I'm thinking about taking my daughter (who just turned 5) because she loves an adventure. I've not run into a lot of pushing and shoving, so as long as things stay the same, she'll go. She can stay home with DH and our other daughter, but I love taking her places because she's so much fun. She'll be entertaining in line and is very social and talkative.

I'll promise her breakfast as "Mickle Donals" and she'll be great!

I think smaller towns without the sheer insanity of BF would probably be ok, but my fairly small hometown of 25,000 people gets violent on that day! I have witnessed housewives fistfighting over scooters, a man in a wheelchair running people down, pushing, swearing, arguing...I think the best and worst in people comes out on BF. I will be leaving DS2 and DD14 home. Besides, it makes it so much less stressful to only have to worry about protecting yourself! :)

My three teens have gone with me for the past three years, but I wouldn't take the younger ones and I never took the older ones until I knew they were old enough/big enough to look out for themselves and enjoy the excitement. They have a blast btw, and are already making plans for this year. For us, as they become old enough, it's more of a tradition that I am having a great time passing on to them. However, for the younger ones...weather, crowds, seeing their gifts, and them getting tired and cranky keeps me from taking them.

I would never take my kids...the deals aren't THAT great that it is worth taking little kids out in the middle of the night and risk getting run over by other crazy shoppers! Now if they were older, like over 10, and they enjoyed the shopping thing then I would let them come. I feel terrible for the tired slumped over in carts kids that are out on Black Friday. Just my opinion!

I am usually shopping for my kids, ages 8 and 9 on BF. If no one was available to watch them that day, I think that I might possibly take them out later that morning. No way would I take them to a store opening or to camp out all night. I would have no problem taking them out after the initial crowds have calmed down a bit. We definately wouldn't get the popular doorbusters, but there are usually still things that I am interested in that are still available after 8am. :)

I have taken my son before and I have done what other people suggest wait for the initial rush to be over. Depends on where you live and what you are shopping for..as some items obviously aren't there after the initial rush. I don't take him anymore at all because he is big enough to know that I am shopping for him.

I would be careful about bringing your kid, no matter how old, to places like Wal-Mart and Target. Things are absolutely crazy there, and I myself have almost been trampled a couple of times. You would think that people would be nice because you have a kid and not push you...but that just isn't the case. They see the sale signs, and all bets are off.

That being said, find out if there is anyone else you know going to the stores that you want to go to, and maybe you can tag team. Someone can stay with the kid, and you purchase all the items needed for both of you, and vice versa. Either use cash, or keep a tally of receipts and find out who owes who at the end of the day. Get gift receipts for all the items, and that way if they need to return it later, they can, and you can still keep the receipt, and vice versa.

I've taken my kid out (from less than a year old!), but I go with a group of people.

This is why we might not be going out this year, I refuse to bring my kids with me #1 it's not the time for them, it's too cold, I'm usually buying their gifts and its too crazy. If I don't have anyone to watch them, I just stay home and shop online. BTW They're ages 5 and 2.

I've seen people out waiting in line at 3am with babies...I'm talking newborns to 3 year olds. Personally, I think it's selfish to put your kid through that just to get some deals. Besides the fact that it gets crazy at stores, alot of parents are concentrating so hard on getting what they want they're not paying attention to their kids.

That said, I have seen older kids (10 and up) that are a huge help to their parents. Ultimately, you know what your kid can handle.

Remember you may possibly be standing in a line (or 2) to pay for over half an hour? How would your child handle that, how does he handle long grocery store lines? There's no family or friends or neighbors that you can ask now to watch your son?

Mine fell asleep in her stroller last year.

I took my DD last year and will take her again this year. She turned 5 in June. However, I don't go out until we wake up and even though the weather may be chilly, it's not damning cold like other places in the country. She's also a very good girl so that makes it a lot easier.

I think this is a personal preference and should be left to the parent. Afterall, we know our children better then anyone else.

I have taken my kids/granddaughter off and on when I had no sitter and either I wasn't buying for them or they were too young to know it was for them. I took our youngest (now 9) out when he was just over a year old and it was snowing heavily and waited in line at Walmart and then Staples that morning. He loved the snow and he was in thermals/blanket sleeper/snowsuit and had a blanket... he loved peeking out at the snow and the work of packing him around and holding him just kept me all the warmer...

He went the next couple of years after that to walmart with me.... then I got brave enough to venture out of our small town that was complete with walmart/staples/big lots.... and went to the next "city" where Target, Kohl's, Kmart, etc are .... I started taking my sister and either my oldest or her oldest babysat all the other kids and we really enjoy our day alone... it's our annual "date".

It's really fun for us to go out without the kids just because we normally don't get that luxury. I can't remember if it was Black Friday or just another shopping day but I remember taking DD20 and DGD4 out with us one year when DGD was around a year old and she was fine in her little stroller carts. If I felt like I couldn't leave my kids home alone (depending on age) or felt like I couldn't find a trustworthy sitter than I would simply take them. Of the four still at home, Two of my kids would enjoy it, Two wouldn't. But they wouldn't have a choice and they know that if you go shopping and are good all day it will end in a treat of some type.... sometimes food, sometimes snack, sometimes toy or clothes....

There is nothing wrong with taking your kids... no matter the weather as long as you dress them appropriately and care for their needs appropriately.... I don't even mind if they are whining... cause if I had a child I wanted or needed to bring and he/she was a whiner or complainer then I would bring them.... but if your kid is next to me whining you might catch me snickering and saying "Better you than me!" :)

I have taken my daughter,now 6 out for the last 3 years..She loves it. We have already talked about it this year. My hubby and the oldest dd10 go hunting and me and the little one go shopping. But she is usually up by 4 am on a normal morning so she is perkier than I am and LOVES IT! But we are in Florida and it is warm here.

I feel really bad for these kids being drug out of a warm bed out into a line at 3 am. They get pushed and shoved. I would never take a child under 12 with me. they are too small and you never know how ugly a line might get. On the other hand I have been to meijer and other 24 hr stores that you can have the child in the store and wait for the sale items to come out, I suppose that wouldnt be so bad for the child. I would check with child cares in your neighbor hood and see if any are offering black friday care. Please dont take him.