>>> Official Black Friday 2008 VIDEO GAME Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

I just bought my DD a PSP bundle. I am starting to worry though. I have been looking for movies, games, etc on the internet and at stores and I am not seeing much. Is this game system on the way out?

That's right -- they have another version coming out. New version improves the screen, so no impact on installed base. As far as content goes, get your PSP working wirelessly and download media (games, movies) from your PC or sources on the internet. I don't think movie discs will be wildly popular. Walmart has a good selection of games at good prices.

Xbox 360 Great for online play

You might want to mention you have to pay for the 360 online services.

but the 360 had alot more games

Also untrue as the PS3 has 520 games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games) and the 360 has 545 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games)

I don't want to start some silly fanboy war here but can't let something that obvious slide. People come here for unbiased info (I hope) and pushing a certain console on them is a disservice.

I just made my choice and it was a PS3. For me, it represented the best entertainment value. Let me explain.

1) This console is going in my living room. I wanted an internet appliance, a video game, and a hd dvd player. I waited for the hd dvd war to end before making my choice. The PS3 is a blu-ray player which plays video games and comes with wireless internet access.

2) We have computers that play video games, so I was looking for a different experience. I wanted to improve upon the LAN parties and online gaming that my kids already enjoy. I found the WII intriguing, but thinking about the way my kids play, I decided that adding multi-multi capability to the kinds of games they prefer would provide more enjoyment. (By multi-multi I mean multiple people at the console playing with multiple people on the internet.) I found a lot of excellent games for the PS3 that fit the bill.

3) Out of pocket spend heavily favors the PS3 -- for my configuration, anyway. Video consoles do not respect the free market. The prices are fixed, so you have to be creative to avoid sticker. I bought my PS3 via an ongoing $150 off your first $300 purchase when you open a credit card account promotion at sonystyle.com. So, my PS3 cost $250 (free shipping). That's competitive with the others even before adding a blu-ray player. My wife opened a sonystyle account too (no trickery -- we called and they said that was fine) and we used it to get $310 worth of games for $160.

PS3/80g

LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga

LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (for PSP)

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow (for PSP)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare -- Game of the Year Edition

Army of Two

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

all for $410.

I think that qualifies as a good price. All shipped to my door free.

Moonlighting as a blu-ray player adds value for me.

Then there's the rest. Sony does not charge for its network services (vs $50 per year, I believe for xbox live). Once you get that working, there are dozens of demos and free games to play. I am a huge fan of demos as these reduce the risk of shelling out $60 for shelfware.

I have to say that I eliminated the WII early. I know LOTS of people who have them and most love them, but I played with them and didn't like them very much at all. Of my friends and family who own a WII, few have more than one or two games beyond the sports pack and most play infrequently.

Had HDDVD won the format war, I may have gone with an XBox. Already, the two systems are pretty similar and, if history tells us anything, PS3 games will get better going forward.

So, there you have it. $400 for the newest console plus a blue-ray player and a handful of amazing games. How can you go wrong?

I just made my choice and it was a PS3. For me, it represented the best entertainment value.

So, there you have it. $400 for the newest console plus a blue-ray player and a handful of amazing games. How can you go wrong?

WOW!! I Think you got an amazing deal. Congratulations.

Now if you would compare the DS with the PSP which do you think is better or has more options?

I just purchased my daughter a DS (8) and am wanting to get my son the psp, but my son says he also wants a DS. How can i convince him to get the psp? I feel it is more boyish.

Now if you would compare the DS with the PSP which do you think is better or has more options?

I just purchased my daughter a DS (8) and am wanting to get my son the psp, but my son says he also wants a DS. How can i convince him to get the psp? I feel it is more boyish.

I'm not sure you should push the psp on him if he wants a ds. My dn(13) has had both forever and the ds gets played with lots more. He probably hasn't touched the psp in a year.

OK I am totally confused. Trying to figure out which handeld game to get. PSP or DS. I have 17 yr DD who loves her mp3 and watching movies. She also likes puzzle strategy type games. I already bought the PSP because of the MP3 and movies, but the movies are extremely limited and I don't see many games compared to the DS which seems to have tons more. What would be the best one to buy for this situation? Thanks!!

OK I am totally confused. Trying to figure out which handeld game to get. PSP or DS. I have 17 yr DD who loves her mp3 and watching movies. She also likes puzzle strategy type games. I already bought the PSP because of the MP3 and movies, but the movies are extremely limited and I don't see many games compared to the DS which seems to have tons more. What would be the best one to buy for this situation? Thanks!!

I've had both a DS and a PSP. I have to say that the DS is more cutesy and more catered to children. If you look at the games, yeah, there are puzzle games and adult-catered games but not much. The PSP in my opinion is more for adults and older kids. I first bought the DS just because it was cheaper but I wasn't thrilled with the selection of games and the graphics. I ended up selling my DS and bought a PSP instead which has far better graphics, better games, and more options (I've uploaded music onto it successfully and I've watched movies on it as well). Overall, I think the PSP is a better choice for a teen or adult.

And btw, if it helps, I bought my DS when I was 17 and I bought my PSP when I was 19. I'm 21 now and still use my PSP when I'm going on vacation.

I've never used a ds, but they are popular and inexpensive. We got my youngest a PSP this summer. I had already decided on a PS3 for xmas, so that was a factor. His own experience with the PSP, of course, was the main reason for going that way.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with your decision. Just wanted to add that if you sign up for a sony card via sonystyle.com, you will get $150 off your first $300 purchase. The PSP is a better, more expensive game and getting half off your system plus games and accessories is an amazing deal.

later...len!

My kids both have the DS Lite and a DS, all their friends have a DS. DD is 15, DS is 13. They got the lites last year. But for long band trips like one coming up on the 7th (the are going to go to Mobile about 6 hours away) they can enjoy chatting with others and playing games with others on the bus or even the bus infront of or behind them.

They've played a psp but still like the DS better. They have portable DVD's players, MP3's player already.

Thanks for all of the console comments. That will definitely help me make my choice. It's good to know about the online deal too. We were already leaning toward the ps3 because we have a ton of ps2 games.

Understand that the current PS3 models do not play PS2 games. Be very careful to read the box or ad if you are looking for a PS3 that plays PS2 games.

What about Wii games? I saw that Wal-Mart was doing some special online deals where you can get two games for $30 on select games; are there any Wii games that people are looking for in particular? We'll probably be looking for GH:WT (if the fiance hasn't already gotten it), some of the lego games, wii-music, and a few others...

What about Wii games? I saw that Wal-Mart was doing some special online deals where you can get two games for $30 on select games; are there any Wii games that people are looking for in particular? We'll probably be looking for GH:WT (if the fiance hasn't already gotten it), some of the lego games, wii-music, and a few others...

I was wondering the same thing. My inlaws got my kids the Wii system for Christmas and we are going to get some games. (Along with my parents.) I was just wondering and hoping if there are going to be some good deals. I know TRU had the BOGO, but I missed that. :( I hope they or someone has that or a better deal soon. ;)

Has anyone heard any rumors or, well, anything about maybe a sale on the Rock Band 2 bundle for Black Friday ?

My wife and I really want that but, if it is not going to be on sale, Sears has Guitar Hero World Tour for $99.99 online only the day before. (Actually, check my post in the Sears thread because it might be happening now)

I prefer the Rock Band 2 drum kit so I really want that but, if the price is right, I can be swayed ya know.

The Guitar Hero World Tour for $99.99 does not include the drums and microphone. The full bundle is $189.99 and that includes the drums and microphone. I just got my full bundle delivered from Amazon on Monday.

Has anyone heard any rumors or, well, anything about maybe a sale on the Rock Band 2 bundle for Black Friday ?

My wife and I really want that but, if it is not going to be on sale, Sears has Guitar Hero World Tour for $99.99 online only the day before. (Actually, check my post in the Sears thread because it might be happening now)

I prefer the Rock Band 2 drum kit so I really want that but, if the price is right, I can be swayed ya know.

What does everyone know about Xbox 360.....:confused:

I heard that there is a 60GB and then a couple others ones....my little brother (10 years old) wants to play on line with his friends (he has a PS3;friends dont) I dont want to spend that much but I want to be a good sister since my mother wont buy it for him.... Do you think its worth waiting for blackfriday???????????????Any help you can give would b e GREAT!

I heard that there is a 60GB and then a couple others ones....my little brother (10 years old) wants to play on line with his friends (he has a PS3;friends dont) I dont want to spend that much but I want to be a good sister since my mother wont buy it for him.... Do you think its worth waiting for blackfriday???????????????Any help you can give would b e GREAT!

Xbox just had a price drop, probably the only deal on BF would be a bundle deal.

We just bought ds18 the xbox 360 arcade version. Microsoft is having a promotion that if you buy an arcade version (no harddrive) you can buy a refurbished 20g hard drive and 3 months of xbox live for $30)

http://www.xboxstorageupgrade.com/hh/web/home/hhauthentication.jsp;jsessionid=94E963E63590BD06A7A90FB6BF351735?ssLocale=en_US

You do have to put in the serial number and console number to qualify. Seems like a good deal to me. We got the arcade when dell had the 15% off coupon for $181.xx shipped plus the upgraded refurbished 20g harddrive and 3 months of live for $32.xx (including tax) from microsoft. For a total of $213.xx. Great deal if you ask me!!

OK - I need to get a Wii console for Christmas - and I'm worried. I've been looking for deals and prices seems to be all over the place because of bundles, etc. Plus some places are out of stock already. What's my best bet??? How soon should I buy??? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks angelic680 - I'd definitely want the wii fit for me, but I'm not sure she wants all of that other stuff.

Next question - where do I find the guy in your avatar???????

Yeah the wii fit looks like a ton of FUN I got it for my brother last month I say your best bet is to get out there go to Walmart, Target, Toysrus, and Kmart during the week, you might come across a wii or a wii fit plus asking the workers when they might get them in is also good! I think a lot of stores are holding back wii's til Blackfriday....but look at the flyers for tomorrow sales get the paper tonight and be the first one on line tomorrow! Good Luck!!

As for the guy one of my friends sent it to me....LoL private message me your email and I'll send it to ya, or anyone else!!! He's even on my Xmas list...hahah :cheesy:

P.S. Just got my Target flyer and tomorrow Sun Nov 2nd they have the Wii & wii fit in store and the wii fit bundle for $349.99 Online Only! STARTS TOMORROW I would wake up nice and early if I was you!!!

Here is the link...goes on sale tomorrow no idea what time...maybe you should wait til midnight!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1225584164/ref=gp_se_search-results-asin-redirect/602-3853053-9497447?ie=UTF8&asin=B001GIJR4A

Edited by angelic680

We talked about it and I'm going to pass on the Target wii/wii fit. I'm hoping to get a game/bundle that has the console and at least two remotes. I know that there are places that I can still buy it where it's not out of stock, but I'm just worried about when I should really start worrying and when the drop-dead date would be that I better not take any chances and just buy it. I appreciate the input though! Still looking, and let me know if anyone had any input or sees any deals that I didn't.

We talked about it and I'm going to pass on the Target wii/wii fit. I'm hoping to get a game/bundle that has the console and at least two remotes. I know that there are places that I can still buy it where it's not out of stock, but I'm just worried about when I should really start worrying and when the drop-dead date would be that I better not take any chances and just buy it. I appreciate the input though! Still looking, and let me know if anyone had any input or sees any deals that I didn't.

I think your best bet will be to Create your own Bundle!!

Circuit City will let you!! Better Hurry!!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/widgetContent.do?oid=179571&null&cm_re=content-_-Wii-_-BUY%20NOW&linkid=j13459594k39085&affiliateid=k39085&mid=

Also TRU has one for $367.95

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3347953&siteID=RjWYtCqO0.M-CdsEn_I_Ktb5GBrW3Pv6aw