>>> Official Black Friday 2008 HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

You need to understand that all stores use a very "dirty" signal for their LCD's and plasmas....definitely not HDTV quality. Also, they use the factory settings for the displays. I have a 32" LCD and I watch football, baseball, and basketball with it and it looks very good. I do not have HDTV even. If you tune the TV when you get it home, you will be much impressed.

I hope for that $300 37" aswell lol if not i'll be getting the Element at CC

You need to understand that all stores use a very "dirty" signal for their LCD's and plasmas....definitely not HDTV quality. Also, they use the factory settings for the displays. I have a 32" LCD and I watch football, baseball, and basketball with it and it looks very good. I do not have HDTV even. If you tune the TV when you get it home, you will be much impressed.

It's not the signal, it's the technology. The motion blur is due to how the pixels are lit, their shape, and their speed. If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it. Anyone who watches sports should be aware of the problem. Watch a little hockey on the LCD and see if you can live with the blur. Another problem with LCDs is that their colors change with age. The prism works the same, but the backlight changes colors. You can easily see this on any older computer monitor.

Good reading here: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

Still best to look at TVs in a showroom. A lot of showrooms. Plenty power their sets with an HDTV signal. Stand back as far as you sit from your TV at home.

At the same size and price, the only time I would choose LCD over plasma is for a windowed room. The glass screens tend to reflect. This can be mitigated by mounting the TV so the screen leans a couple degrees forward, but it's an issue.

I guess I'm out of the TV hunt for Black Friday. I bought this tv last night from newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889237013

I just don't think we're going to see a cheaper price for a 37" LCD HDTV, plus it came with free shippping. And at least I won't lose an arm trying to fight a thousand other people if Walmart *does* come out with an amazing doorbuster tv.

It's not the signal, it's the technology. The motion blur is due to how the pixels are lit, their shape, and their speed. If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it. Anyone who watches sports should be aware of the problem. Watch a little hockey on the LCD and see if you can live with the blur. Another problem with LCDs is that their colors change with age. The prism works the same, but the backlight changes colors. You can easily see this on any older computer monitor.

Good reading here: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

Still best to look at TVs in a showroom. A lot of showrooms. Plenty power their sets with an HDTV signal. Stand back as far as you sit from your TV at home.

At the same size and price, the only time I would choose LCD over plasma is for a windowed room. The glass screens tend to reflect. This can be mitigated by mounting the TV so the screen leans a couple degrees forward, but it's an issue.

I just wanted to say that we have this Sharp and we play PS3, and Wii on it all of the time and have NEVER had a problem.

I dunno. I got the BB deal on the Samsung 50 inch 720p plasma + htib. I didn't expect that to be the rock bottom price at the time, but it was very good and exactly what I wanted delivered to my house.

Nothing in a BF ad has instilled remorse in me. I wouldn't even swap that deal for the 1080p above (I wanted a HTIB and have no interest in an Xbox), but I still expect prices to be lower going forward. How much lower and on which sets is the question.

The BF ads this year are so poor that I wonder if retailers used leaked ads to set a baseline so we would jump on better than or comparable deals before BF. Earlier shopping is best for them, right? Maybe there will be supplemental BF deals or deals will be better after BF. No matter, getting what you want for a good price is better than getting a great price on something you don't want.

Since you bought from Newegg (excellent merchant, IMHO), return is not likely for you. My advice is to stop looking at the tv threads/deals and enjoy your new toy.

Wow...that is good. Has anyone seen anything that beats that, or know anything about the TV? Thx

Reviews are good: CNET, ConsumerSearch, AVS Owners Thread. I have the 720p pn50a450 and like it a lot.

Some are saying this is a price mistake (still showing $1k for me online), so good luck!

PS I see the problem. xbox is out of stock, so bundle is not available. Too bad. Maybe next week ;)

Edited by len_mullen

This deal is hotter than hot is hot...CC brought their site down and is claiming someone "hacked" it. BB won't PM it unless they can get the site to come up with the price, despite us having a printout of the page. DH just went to Sears to see if they will match....some reports of them PMing it...

dont ever buy a RCA had two different models same crap both times. Just look up their products some of the most unreliable out there.:eek:

I can't speak for their HDTV products as I will be buying my 1st set this year, but we're replacing a 26" RCA SDTV that has been going strong for 11 years with no problems :)

I've been looking for the best 32 inch tv I could find this year, and I think I have settled on the $500 32 inch Samsung from best buy rather than the cheap $400 Dynex one.

Then I saw that the same tv is the exact same price at Sears tonight plus 5% off. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to just buy the one from Sears tonight, hold onto it, and then just return it if something better pops up? Would that even work? If it would, how do I get the VIP extra 5% off?

I've been looking for the best 32 inch tv I could find this year, and I think I have settled on the $500 32 inch Samsung from best buy rather than the cheap $400 Dynex one.

Then I saw that the same tv is the exact same price at Sears tonight plus 5% off. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to just buy the one from Sears tonight, hold onto it, and then just return it if something better pops up? Would that even work? If it would, how do I get the VIP extra 5% off?

5% of $500 is only $25. I don't think it's worth the time and gas. Do you?

Yeah, it actually is. Sears is less than 3 miles from my house and I can't imagine there is going to be a huge crowd. Plus if I can get it now that means not having to deal with crowds on black friday.

My main concern is just whether I could return it if I'd need to. I'm really hoping Best Buy will put out some awesome deals the week before, but I don't know if I want to take the chance.

We want to buy our first flat screen and want to know what we should know about camping out at somewhere like BB or CC or WM.... I am willing to camp out all night to get say a 32" for around $400 if that's even possible.

well u could camp out at best buy or go to k-mart right now and get there 32 inch flat screen for 400.00

well u could camp out at best buy or go to k-mart right now and get there 32 inch flat screen for 400.00

The one at Kmart the brand is Element. Costco has a Westinghouse HDTV 32" for $399.99, that is the regular price. I bought one on Saturday they had total of 6 and by the time that I left the store, they had only 3.

Edited by drod58

dont ever buy a RCA had two different models same crap both times. Just look up their products some of the most unreliable out there.:eek:

I guess that you just had bad luck with RCA.

I have the RCA HDTV 52" that I paid $487.00 or so at Walmart in 2006 and a RCA HDTV 26" for $329.00 in 2007 also from Walmart and those TVs are going strong. No complaints of any kind, the image is very bright and clear. I love my two RCA.

Edited by drod58

What do you think is the best bet right now? Im looking at 3 TVs and they are these...

37" Element for $499.99 at CC

32" Toshiba for $449.99 at CC

37" Sylvania for $379.99 at Meijers

I dont know much about either of the 3 TV's but i know i need atleast 2 HDMI's and atleast 2 A/V's. Id really like a 37" but Toshiba is a trusted name and I trust them more but $70 less I get 5" more. Any help would be much needed. Thanks

RCA has been rated one of the worst for reliability by Consumer Reports. That being said, I have a RCA 32" tube TV we got on BF 2005 for less than $200 that has been trouble free. It has a good picture on Dish Network and component hookup for dvd. I guess that makes it close to an EDTV. We got a free extended warranty for it by purchasing on credit card, but never needed to use it.

What do you think is the best bet right now? Im looking at 3 TVs and they are these...

37" Element for $499.99 at CC

32" Toshiba for $449.99 at CC

37" Sylvania for $379.99 at Meijers

I dont know much about either of the 3 TV's but i know i need atleast 2 HDMI's and atleast 2 A/V's. Id really like a 37" but Toshiba is a trusted name and I trust them more but $70 less I get 5" more. Any help would be much needed. Thanks

Where do you see a 37: Sylvania at Meijers? When I looked at the ad, I didn't see it.