>>> Official Black Friday 2008 HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

What do you guys think the cost of lcds are going to be this year? Specifically:

32"

42"

and 52"

I bought the 32" westinghouse from bestbuy in 2006 for around $450/$500. I was disappointed by last years lcd prices. However, it seems that the prices are busy dropping now. Hopefully we will have some seriously low prices this year. I just did house sitting for people with a 60" tv and mine seems so tiny now!

Welcome to the community!

I posted a report a few weeks ago that states that some of the TV makers could pull the plug on aggressive BF sales.

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=115947

I have been saying this for a few weeks that you may not see the best deals on BF because of the digital switch over and an issue of supply and demand.

Welcome to the community!

I posted a report a few weeks ago that states that some of the TV makers could pull the plug on aggressive BF sales.

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=115947

I have been saying this for a few weeks that you may not see the best deals on BF because of the digital switch over and an issue of supply and demand.

I believe you... I am hoping to get one(27in to 35in) pre-black friday... let me know if you spot a good one:holiday10

I posted in the technology discussion board a few days ago that Sony is looking to have the next generation of LCDs (240Hz) available this fall. Those sets will be pricey (est. $3600 for the 46").... but it could produce a drop in the prices for current higher end 120Hz sets and/or the standard (60Hz) models.

No guarantees we'll see BF-style pricing, tho.

right now you can get a 50 inch vizio plasma at sams club for $1096, 42 inch vizio plasma for $846 and both of those prices are the everyday prices.. so hopefully for black friday lcd's and plasma's will be low. last year on black friday i bought my wife a 37 inch sylvania lcd for $499 at Meijers

right now you can get a 50 inch vizio plasma at sams club for $1096, 42 inch vizio plasma for $846 and both of those prices are the everyday prices.. so hopefully for black friday lcd's and plasma's will be low. last year on black friday i bought my wife a 37 inch sylvania lcd for $499 at Meijers

I LOVE Meijers.... hopefully they will have great deals like last year

I have absolutely no inside information on this, keep that in mind. But...

...you might watch carefully to see if the cheaper plasma TVs get heavily discounted on BF. This year, the number of plasmas with full 1080p resolution surged - to the point that Panasonic (for example) cut its number of older-style 720p sets to just two. (I bought the 42-inch version myself.)

They're solid deals already, but maybe stores will try to get rid of them early in the Christmas season? Could already be starting - Wal-Mart had been selling a 50-inch Sanyo plasma (720p) for $998, and now they're throwing in a free DVD player too.

Food for thought...

So If I am looking for a flat panel TV for the bedroom(small under 38") What should I be looking for? And what is a good and bad model for price?(Keep in mind I am Tech challenged to the point of institutionalization :smirk:)

I'm in the same situation! We are going for a smaller flat panel TV for my parents bedroom and have no idea what to look for! ANY help would be appreciated!!

I was in Walmart the other night. They have only tubes and LCDs in my store -- a few tubes and a LOT of LCDs. They were running a sports video and I just could not deal with the image quality. This sounds stupid, but it wasn't so obvious that I could see it -- it was just something I could perceive (like the flicker of a fluorescent bulb). I think I would have HUGE buyer's remorse if I replaced my 36" tube (Sony 4:3 SDTV) with one of these.

Having only watched these in a store, I got to wondering if the lighting was the real culprit. Any long time LCD owners who are sports fans care to comment on the viewing experience?

Just to keep this on topic, I predict a $300 37" lcd and a $500 42" lcd for BF.

I was in Walmart the other night. They have only tubes and LCDs in my store -- a few tubes and a LOT of LCDs. They were running a sports video and I just could not deal with the image quality. This sounds stupid, but it wasn't so obvious that I could see it -- it was just something I could perceive (like the flicker of a fluorescent bulb). I think I would have HUGE buyer's remorse if I replaced my 36" tube (Sony 4:3 SDTV) with one of these.

Having only watched these in a store, I got to wondering if the lighting was the real culprit. Any long time LCD owners who are sports fans care to comment on the viewing experience?

If you're right I'll probably be eating Turkey Dinner on concrete for that 42" :yup:

Walmart carries a 42" lcd for $750 right now and and CC has a $600 37" lcd. CC has a 42" plasma for $700. It seems like bigger screens are cheaper every time I walk through WM.

I don't think it's a far stretch from these prices to those I posted. Save a place for me on the sidewalk!

This was on Clark Howard's radio show today. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about it: This is the first I've heard about Plasma's not being a TV of choice these days.

Clark predicts outrageous flat-screen TV prices to come

This is now the third year in a row that Clark is crowing about great deals on HDTV flat-screens for the holiday season. But the deals this year will be so good that he wants to venture an outrageous prediction.

On Black Friday, Clark thinks we'll see lead prices of $499 on 42-inch flat-screens. He has no factual evidence or insider knowledge to support this belief. But there is an oversupply in the factory capacity for making the screens, so Clark believes he may be on the mark.

There will also be great deals on plasma TVs during the holidays. Plasmas have fallen out of favor even though they're often better than LCDs. If you have a room that doesn't get a lot of natural light, you might want to try a plasma screen.

Most of the deals you'll see will be on 720p resolution screens -- even though 1080p is being marketed as the "full" high-definition television experience. But the signal coming from your cable or satellite company is likely to be somewhere in the 480p-720p range. So there's no need to buy 1080p. You probably won't see much difference unless you're on a 50-inch screen or larger.

Meanwhile, Clark thinks Sony's tiny little OLED screen blows away anything that might wow you right now. So his core advice is to always buy current technology -- not the leading-edge state of the art that always costs too much and will soon be outdated.

I think he's on the money. In fact, I posted this the other day in the LCD TVs price prediction? thread.

Edited by len_mullen
highlighting my prediction

I am looking for a package deal.... there has been a lot of these lately

BB has 46" 1080P HDTV+ Bluray+5.1 channel home theater +setup for $2800 Is this good deal or should i wait till BF or after?

:confused::confused::confused::confused: please help!!

there is so many to choose from and i want to surprise my hubby for christmas plus get a great deal