places to hide things from your kids at christmas! ( no kids )

sdigman6

this may sound like a costly idea but my aunt she has kids that are really bad about snooping so she buys a small storage unit for the month of nov. then dec she wraps and puts under tree, but if they are still santa believers then you could also keep them there for dec too.

I work for a storage company, and I can tell you that I've seen more and more people do this.

Have you bought anything big recently? Or have the old boxes from Television sets, vacuum cleaner boxes, furniture boxes, etc?

Wrap the presents. Place them as best as you can inside the vacuum/tv/microwave box. Tape it up. Kids most likely won't look there, because what they see is some boring household item, ie a vacuum/tv/etc.

That is what i did for my ds's bday this month and it worked wonders. Here in this apartment there are no real hiding spots, so I used my imagination, as was glad at how well it worked.

I have one large tote I keep in the laundry room and the kids never look because all my other storage is there. They just assume it's more of "mom's crap". I also use DH's work and my mom's basement (she lives one door down). The kids never go in her basement, it's dark and there are spiders :eyepoppin!! Works great.

When we were kids my Dad shared a story about his childhood with us. His grandparents raised him and they were very poor living on a farm. One year under his grandparent's bed he found a red flyer wagon full of presents. He was very disappointed Christmas morning when he received new gloves, an apple and toy truck. When he asked his grandparents about the wagon they explained it was for a kid up the road.

Moral - never sneak a peek, it might not be yours, how disappointing would that be. We never looked for gifts. I told my daughter, niece & nephews this story at a young age and they have never snoped.

I always put my daughter's gifts in my closet floor in bags and boxes. Now I have storage shelves for my bargain shopping. Everything is in copy paper boxes. They never look.

My husband's father asked dh to hide a present when he was in his late teens. It was a computer for his brother. So dh put it in his closet until Christmas. Christmas morning he's ready for his dad to tell his brother where to go look for his present and to his surprise it was his present!!! So he hid his own Christmas present for more than a month!

We usually use our closet and the basement. The kids are not allowed in our closet without permission. Dh has all of his tools (he's a contractor) in the basement. He cleverly hides things within his tools etc. Last year he hid stuff under a bunch of his canvas drop cloths. The kids never knew it was there. Luckily for us, our daughter is 16. She doesn't like to ruin her surprises, so she stays away from things. Our son is 8 1/2. He is the one that we have to keep at bay. So far, we have done a pretty good job.

Is is possible for you to lock your bedroom closet or bedroom door? What about leaving them at a relatives house? That might be the easiest way.

I also keep as many gifts as I can locked up in my lugagge. So far that has been mainly reserved for the wife's gifts as my daughter (3) hasnt taken to snooping yet. But if shes anything like her old man I know its coming soon so I'll have to start looking for a larger hiding spot .

I dont really what you call HIDE them...they are in the open but they dont know it...lol....they know they have a few on the top shelve in the closet but they never look at them....and then I put them in a big box and they never even notice it....lol...so funny that they are under their nose...lol..

I think I posted the suspended canoe in the garage idea last year. It works!

Also: plain brown boxes in the garage marked "old college textbooks" "prom dresses" "garden tools" Inside the stored sleds (if snow won't arrive til later), underneath our bathroom sink (good reason to sort and toss what might already be there, thanks FlyLady!)

My new washing machine has a pedestal and I do not use the drawer space underneath - the kids think it is full of Tide (but the colossal bottles of Tide don't even fit in there!). I'll be hiding presents there this year.

My parents hid my color TV in the front hall closet in 1976. I believed them that they were storing it for the parents of a friend (I thought I knew just which one, but didn't tell her, or my parents)...I also thought she was going to be the happiest person ever on Christmas morning. Turns out, that same TV appeared under our tree with a huge red ribbon and bow. Was I ever surprised!!!

Last year I was able to use the excuse that anything my kids saw was for their cousins overseas but I'm not sure that will work this year - we're sending our box a month earlier. Think I'll have to use the peek-and-it-goes-back tactic this year.

Do your kids need to know, that you shipped their cousin's box out?

or can you hide theirs in a box, adressed to the cousin, and sneak away with sending the real one?

For those with kids who still believe in santa, who leave milk and cookies, when I was younger my mom and dad took some white hair, or something and said that it was from Santa's beard... I know it's a bit off topic, but it strengthened my belief in him, as there was some evidence.

Edited by WhiteOwl

Do your kids need to know, that you shipped their cousin's box out?

or can you hide theirs in a box, adressed to the cousin, and sneak away with sending the real one?

For those with kids who still believe in santa, who leave milk and cookies, when I was younger my mom and dad took some white hair, or something and said that it was from Santa's beard... I know it's a bit off topic, but it strengthened my belief in him, as there was some evidence.[/quote

I don't even have to tell them things are for their cousins now, they instantly assume it :) But they are another year older now and I'm not taking any chances... the peek and it goes back policy is going into effect!

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried wrapping stuff right away, but then *I* forget what's in it and for whom. I'm surprised no one has mentioned just using *guilt*. That's what my mom used! Once my kids figured out where I keep stuff I just told them 'well if you look, you won't have the fun of a surprise and neither will I'. They know that I know they hide gifts under their beds and I don't snoop. So I still hide the stuff and I don't think they look, but maybe they do/will. The anticipation is half of the fun. Hopefully they want the surprise enough not to look even though they know they 'could'.

I know, some kids are just snoopy and/or want to torture their siblings. Label a big tote 'summer clothes' or some other misleading label as suggested. In the empty decorations box is the best yet because it's already empty and taking up space! It makes it harder to forget where you hid things too (I've done that).

ok my mom had to hide them in the truck of the station wagon . lol but what she did not know was i was looking out the window. kinda like what u said. it was never intentinal. i just happen to be there for some reason. wether it was closet . crawl space above garage. attic, basement ?? humm ya know i dont think i ever found anything down there. got to the point my aunt had it all at her house. one year she was so mad at me that i got nothing for xmass. everything i asked for she gave to my younger brothers and sisters . as they opened i said hey that is what i wanted?? so i sat in a chair all day and watched tv till my uncle came up to me and gave me my walk man. ok i just dated myself. so i was over it. i got one thing i wanted. so the next yr i went ot midnight mass with a friend came home.. peaked in the room with the tree. door was glass never went in. went to bed. woke up..., little ones were openeing there gifts and she says to me . why did u not finish wrapping these ? i said what ./? she said i left u a note ,,i new u would look i laughed so hard and said ummm i didnt peek. so ha! lolol the joke was on her now. so here i was throwing gifts like it was in my pile .sorry i opnened it lol we had 5 kids so there was always mayhem. lol i hide everythigng in my closets in my room. they are not alloud in them so i dont have a issue .. but when its something big i hide it in the basement . or if they find it i tell them its not mine its for blah blah birthday . lol .i usally get snagged when i go to the car and they see it in the back of the van cause i have not carried them in yet.

ok my mom had to hide them in the truck of the station wagon . lol but what she did not know was i was looking out the window. kinda like what u said. it was never intentinal. i just happen to be there for some reason. wether it was closet . crawl space above garage. attic, basement ?? humm ya know i dont think i ever found anything down there. got to the point my aunt had it all at her house. one year she was so mad at me that i got nothing for xmass. everything i asked for she gave to my younger brothers and sisters . as they opened i said hey that is what i wanted?? so i sat in a chair all day and watched tv till my uncle came up to me and gave me my walk man. ok i just dated myself. so i was over it. i got one thing i wanted. so the next yr i went ot midnight mass with a friend came home.. peaked in the room with the tree. door was glass never went in. went to bed. woke up..., little ones were openeing there gifts and she says to me . why did u not finish wrapping these ? i said what ./? she said i left u a note ,,i new u would look i laughed so hard and said ummm i didnt peek. so ha! lolol the joke was on her now. so here i was throwing gifts like it was in my pile .sorry i opnened it lol we had 5 kids so there was always mayhem. lol i hide everythigng in my closets in my room. they are not alloud in them so i dont have a issue .. but when its something big i hide it in the basement . or if they find it i tell them its not mine its for blah blah birthday . lol .i usally get snagged when i go to the car and they see it in the back of the van cause i have not carried them in yet.

I've tried wrapping stuff right away, but then *I* forget what's in it and for whom. I'm surprised no one has mentioned just using *guilt*. That's what my mom used! Once my kids figured out where I keep stuff I just told them 'well if you look, you won't have the fun of a surprise and neither will I'. They know that I know they hide gifts under their beds and I don't snoop. So I still hide the stuff and I don't think they look, but maybe they do/will. The anticipation is half of the fun. Hopefully they want the surprise enough not to look even though they know they 'could'.

I know, some kids are just snoopy and/or want to torture their siblings. Label a big tote 'summer clothes' or some other misleading label as suggested. In the empty decorations box is the best yet because it's already empty and taking up space! It makes it harder to forget where you hid things too (I've done that).

A friend of mine wraps hers and puts a number on them. She has a list with what each number is and for whom... Says it works great for her. Just don't lose the list!:rwb:

Mine will be in the attic or the closet in Hubbies game room both have a lock. The two older ones gifts are currently in the storage building. Have been for a few weeks. Do not expect them to go out there and honestly are praying they do not lol. It is hard to hide four wheelers!

My parents winter in FL and they live down the street so I use one of the bedrooms, its great since I can lay everything out and we can look it over and see what we are missing etc. Of course I am always pushing it to wrap since I do wait until the very last moment, don't want to wrap something and decide not to give it or get a better deal on something. This year wont' be so bad since the kids are 12 and 13 but I tell them if they don't believe, no presents LOL Funny thing is they still haven't figure out where its all hidden! This yr will probably be a smaller haul since they have pretty much outgrown toys and now more into electronics etc. Last year, my 13 yr old daughter (12 then) ask for Polly Pockets, they are still sitting in their boxes. I was abit disappointed in that but its an age to be expected that they will outgrow toys, I now have alot of Polly Pocket stuff to sell off LOL I hope they are not disappointed this year, they have always had lots of things under the tree since buying toys on clearance is way cheaper than all the electronic stuff they want. My daughter wants a bike and its $160, use to be able to buy a nice one for her on clearance for $25 LOL I guess we will see what pops up on the list and what comes on sale but will still be using my moms to store stuff!

Someone on here last year put their stuff in the canoe that was hanging in the garage. Get creative! We have faith that you can outsmart the 9 yr old!!!

one year the canoe was the present!! ok a kayak but my husband built it for my little girl and didn't tell me either. he worked on it in his parents messy basement that we never went in. he was gone for some silly reason or another so often I actually jokingly asked him if he was having an affair!!

Well I was able to get some things in the closet in my sons room. he cleaned it out for me the other day:yup:. his sister asked him if he was sick or something;). he said no he just needed to get rid of old things that was all.

Later he said, OK lets haul it up in my room before she finds something else!

So he has his sisters doll house furniture in there right now, and Yo Gabba Gabba dance mat.

I have plenty of room in there for a little while but not long we are talking a VERY small closet.

I hide stuff in my closet on the floor in bags and then drape the clothes on top. I also hide stuff in my art room, even though my husband keeps his clothes in the closet in there. Right now I have a Icey Cream machine for him (Target clearance 50% off) that is up against a wall covered with fabric. The box is huge and he has not noticed it yet.:D

A friend of mine wraps hers and puts a number on them. She has a list with what each number is and for whom... Says it works great for her. Just don't lose the list!:rwb:

This is what I do I wrap them as soon as I get them home and write a number on the back with a black marker and on my sheet of paper (I carry attached to me at all times lol) I write who it is for and what it is. Works great and then on Christmas Eve I will put a tag on them

• 3 weeks later...

When we go back to the USA every year for our annual repat, we shope for things we don't usually find here. We ship it here in those nice dish barrel boxes from Uhaul. Well, space is limited, so the kids know we have to keep some of the stuff in those boxes until it is used. So underneath some of it we hide Christmas gifts. They don't think to look there. We also have a lot of luggage, there is 7 of us afterall and we have a set for each of us, because when we repat it is for a month or just over. Well, we put stuff in those too! Works great, and they never think to look there either. Another place is in the back corner of my husband's closet, becaue we have those shelves for sweaters and behind the last one makes for a nice sized hiding spot. And last but not least, we have totes for everything and the only ones they ever get into, are the gift bag totes and wrapping paper totes. Therefore, I hide things in totes too!