What do you get those Tween's?

gr8girls

I know my kids always enjoy Giftcards so they can pick out what they want. Thats what all the relatives get them. Safer and honestly, they like shopping for themselves

And if you want to make it REALLY fun pick out a hideous item - as far as possible from what they'd pick for themselves - according to type of store (shirt for clothing store, etc.) and wrap it with the GC, which should be in an envelope marked "Here's your real gift". The initial reactions would be great to get on video.

I too like gift cards but since we never have many to buy for (that live here anyway) I don't have to worry about things like this yet. You could also get a cute wallet with CC slots and stick GC in the slots instead :)

How about board games? I know my kids (both in HS) still love board games. We actually bought a game last week. It's not a board game, but it's a great game to play for the whole family. It's called Apples to Apples. We got it at Target. The group that played it ranged in age from 12 to 65. We had a blast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples_to_Apples

We also loooove to play Mexican train dominoes. You can get the 12 or the 15 count dominoes pretty much anywhere. I picked up a set @ Walgreens!

My kids also loved (and still do DD13 & DD17) the card game Phase 10. Again, a game the entire family can enjoy.

I love to try and find gifts that will bring my kids together and not have them sitting in their room with earphones on ..

My cousin's daughter is an older 12 and I am giving her a manicure set. I bought a battery operated nail dryer, a set of different color nail polishes and emblishments and a finger nail file set. Got it all last year after Christmas at Walgreens, I spent a total of $15 and it is worth

$50.

For my other cousin's daughter who is 11 I bought a Twister DVD game. She always has sleepovers so I thought this would be a fun game for them to play.

Now my neice who is 13 going on 20, I am giving her a photo printer to go along with the new digital camera she received for her bday.

My hardest one to buy for is my nephew that is 28. I hate to give gift cards, I'd rather find a good deal on something they can open. But he might end up with one.

My DD was 12 last christmas, she was interested in a pink camera or flip camcorder, video games, new cell phone, dvd player, clothing from AE, Hollister, Abercrombie, etc..., and giftcards-so she could shop the after Christmas sales, designer purse-juicy couture, d&b, or coach, ugg boots, clique series books. I can keep going on , if you need more suggestions....

I'm sorry, but I am pretty sure you somehow ended up with my child....but hey, as long as you are getting her all that she needs...shes yours!

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to give gift cards, I'd rather find a good deal on something they can open. But he might end up with one.

I understand the feeling about gift cards, but I also know that's the best thing for me to get my nephews ages 28-20, so I try to find creative ways of packaging them. I include the GC with an inexpensive item that relates to the GC, for instance a Starbucks GC with a travel coffee mug, a Home Depot GC with a tool, a AMC GC with a refillable cup. Maybe we can offer ideas to go with the gift cards you are leaning towards.

Our nieces are 10 and 8. They are both homeschooled by mom and dad is very particular about what his girls can get. They are very involved in church. Clothes will be hard to buy because the shirts have to come up to the collarbone and skirts/pants have to be knee length or longer. Also, the 10 year old is starting to "bud" and is very self conscious about it so she only wears thicks shirts/sweaters. So, any clothing ideas or stores will be helpful. :)

The 10 year old also loves to read. I want to find a Christian pre-teen book series. Can anyone recommend a good one. Neither one of them is into toys anymore. I'm thinking I can get away with a purse filled with Bonne bell lip gloss and some light perfume for the 8 year old because she is VERY girly and loves shoes, purses, nail polish etc.

lol...we are also on a very tight budget (as is everyone this year) since I'm a sahm.

Any help/ideas are appreciated!:yup:

The Children's Left Behind Series would be good for the 10 year old, if she hasn't already read them. What about a magazine sub? Or some pretty personalized stationary for each of the girls? If you are halfway crafty, you could make them each a memory board for pics & such. All you need is a piece of plywood, some batting for padding, and cover it with material suited for each of the girls (fave colors, characters, etc), stapling material down in the back. Crisscross ribbons over the material, using thumbtacks to hold ribbon in place & voila! Your done! lol

Are there any concerts coming that she would like to go see? My parents took my brother & I to see our first concerts- debbie gibson & Tiffany. lol I was about her age. You could always do a gift cert for the movie theater wrapped with some cash for snacks & a promise to drive.

I understand the feeling about gift cards, but I also know that's the best thing for me to get my nephews ages 28-20, so I try to find creative ways of packaging them. I include the GC with an inexpensive item that relates to the GC, for instance a Starbucks GC with a travel coffee mug, a Home Depot GC with a tool, a AMC GC with a refillable cup. Maybe we can offer ideas to go with the gift cards you are leaning towards.

I have done the same thing in the past, dressed up money or gift cards. For my nephew's graduation I folded the bills in to the shape of a dress shirt and framed it. For my niece's bday i filled a plastic container with popcorn and the gift card was buried inside. Silly girl instead of dumping it out she ate the popcorn while she opened other gifts to find the real gift. Last year for my nephew's 16th I undid a rubberband ball, placed money inside and rewrapped the ball & stapled it back in the original package.

It is great to see their face when they think their gift is a rubber band ball or container of popcorn.

This is what is on my Daughter's list. She is 10.

Mall GC

Sims 2 Ikea home stuff

Webkins- dolphin, manatee, chipmunk, deer, eagle, raccoon, skunk

mini laptop

spore for wii

verizon cell phone

Nancy Drew Phantom of Venice pc game

wii fit

Ticket to a Tokio Hotel concert

Edited by krissy72

Ok, here are some ideas for you. My DD will be 11 on Dec. 23rd and this is what's on her list!

1.Make-up set

2.Camp rock DVD

3.Jonas Brothers CD

4.Money

5.Mall Gift Card

6.Touch screen MP3 player

7.Hoodies

8.Fuzzy rug and throw pillows

9.Nail polish set

10.Magazines and posters

11.Boombox/CD player

12.Boots with the fur

13.Scrapbook

14.DS Games

15.Skateboard

16.Hoop earrings

17.Anything pink with skulls

18.Cool alarm clock

Well, I hope this helps a little!

every other year we re-do our kids rooms,.. new curtains, sheets, comforter, rugs and a few throw pillos,..i shop for good deals and get cute colors that make a more teen look,..we got my oldest a large stand up mirror for a full body look and a vanity set with a bench so she could sit and do her hair, makeup etc.. a digital camera and a digital frame make awesome gifts as well as scrapbbok stuff..

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 11 year old and some things she has wanted recently for birthday, Christmas etc are:

Jonas Brothers CD

Camp Rock Soundtrack CD

Camp Rock DVD

Ripstick

Lipgloss

Nice Jewelry

Gift Card for Music online

Clothes

Skater shoes

docking station for MP3 player

SD cards

Subscriptions to some magazines she likes to get

wii and games for it

My niece is 12 and I scored a great Christmas gift for her today.

She loves Coach, which is normally way out of my price range for her, but I had a $50 off $150 coupon today and was able to get her a wristlet for free. My daughter (28) ask for a wristlet for her bday and it was $98, the wristlet for my neice was $52 so I only paid $2 for her gift.

She will be so surprised, she will never expect a Coach gift from me.

Edited by vsa3janes

Wow that is fantastic! Where/when did you get that 50 dollar coupon, if I may ask?

The coupon was my daughters. Coach sent it to her in the mail. She is a big fan of the Coach products. SIL started her on this path a couple years ago. ;)

The Coach store employee told me if you sign up online for their emails you will recieve coupons also.

I would offer to share but it was a one use coupon with a code they recorded.

Our nieces are 10 and 8. They are both homeschooled by mom and dad is very particular about what his girls can get. They are very involved in church. Clothes will be hard to buy because the shirts have to come up to the collarbone and skirts/pants have to be knee length or longer. Also, the 10 year old is starting to "bud" and is very self conscious about it so she only wears thicks shirts/sweaters. So, any clothing ideas or stores will be helpful. :)

The 10 year old also loves to read. I want to find a Christian pre-teen book series. Can anyone recommend a good one. Neither one of them is into toys anymore. I'm thinking I can get away with a purse filled with Bonne bell lip gloss and some light perfume for the 8 year old because she is VERY girly and loves shoes, purses, nail polish etc.

lol...we are also on a very tight budget (as is everyone this year) since I'm a sahm.

Any help/ideas are appreciated!:yup:

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/

Eyes Lips Face is having a big sale. They have nail polish and perfume and some manicure items. If you register before you buy, they will send emails with all kinds of specials. Also, go to www.currentcodes.com you can find any discount/shipping code for any store that has them. Good luck

Gr8girls- thanks for letting me know about ELF! My stepdaughter is just getting into nails and makeup, and their prices are so reasonable! And I used a coupon that got me 50% off on top of that! Thanks again! 1 christmas item off my list!

When my nephews were tweens, I gave them gifts that had to do with their "hobby of the month." Gave one nephew a chef's hat, coat, and apron when he was really into cooking. Gave another one a sketch pad and pencils when has was into drawing/art.

I have a hard time buying for my stepdaughters, 13 and 10 because they pretty much have everything from previous Christmases and birthdays (ipods and ds's etc.).

This year I'm getting them

for the 13 year old

a new ipod (someone stole hers at school)

a digital camera

one of those ipod clock radios

fleece bedsheets

manicure set

movie theater gc's

For the 10yo she's getting

the Crayola Glow Station

a Scrapbook set

a dance mat game for the wii

and a coin jar that counts the money you put into it(she loves to save $$).

Movie theater gc's

Hopefully they give me their lists soon, I can't think of anything else (that's why I'm here ;-)

I was just talking with my cousin yesterday, her kids are 11 & 12. I asked her if they would like a digital photo keychain and she said it was a wonderful idea. She wishes she had thought of it first.

I found them online at WalMart for $12. They may come up cheaper in the days ahead but this way they are checked off my list.