What happen to saying "Hello!"

Hello!

When was the last time you were greeted when you entered a store? I was a retail District Manager for 15 yrs and it was always a standard to greet the customer -no matter what you were doing. This was the #1 rule --nowadays, you can shop thru an entire store-and not get greeted once. Everyone is busy stocking shelves,setting floorplans & planograms or putting away returns..what happen to the days of when employees just said HELLO!

Let's not forget the employees that completely cut you off by walking in front of your shopping cart and not even an 'excuse me'. When I worked retail, the customer was king/queen and you greeted them, stayed out of their way, etc.

Hello!

When was the last time you were greeted when you entered a store? I was a retail District Manager for 15 yrs and it was always a standard to greet the customer -no matter what you were doing. This was the #1 rule --nowadays, you can shop thru an entire store-and not get greeted once. Everyone is busy stocking shelves,setting floorplans & planograms or putting away returns..what happen to the days of when employees just said HELLO!

Yesterday. I do notice that the greetings are few and far between, though.

What's weird about this trend is that when I worked retail, acknowledging the customer was a defence against shoplifting. Shoplifters want to be invisible. If you greet them, they know you know they are there and less likely to steal.

It may or may not work, however it was part of the training at several chains I worked at in my younger years.

Its true when I worked retail we would always say did you need help or hi looking for something in particular. We were told to do this, because it would prevent a shoplifter or made them think,well some of them anyways that its not a good idea to shop lift anything right now.

Now instead of getting any kind of help from a worker you would get security on your tail.

Linda

My mom and I were in Sears last night and she needed help finding something for my dad. Well, 3 of the workers just stood there talking to each other while we stood beside them waiting for a chance to ask a question. We were completely ignored. We left...and stores wonder why their sales are down?!?!

Actually Walmart always has a greeter and helps you get a carraige and Target lately

has had store clerks asking.."can I help you find anything?" so I was pretty impressed.

I find CVS to be the worst in pharmacy and store customer service!

Let's not forget the employees that completely cut you off by walking in front of your shopping cart and not even an 'excuse me'. When I worked retail, the customer was king/queen and you greeted them, stayed out of their way, etc.

I find that many employees, especially at Wal-Mart, are very good at staying out of your way. Just try to find one! And as for the door greeters, they have quit greeting here. They don't hand out carts (they are inside the 2nd door, far from the carts) and will only greet you if they have nobody better to talk to at the moment.

I work in retail and it is our policy to always say Hello and greet customers. Now... trying to get teenagers to understand this is a challenge. Customers are not a burden, but our livelihood. I find that small "mom and pop" stores are very friendly and helpful.

I work in retail and it is our policy to always say Hello and greet customers. Now... trying to get teenagers to understand this is a challenge. Customers are not a burden, but our livelihood. I find that small "mom and pop" stores are very friendly and helpful.

Amen

I was checking out at Wal-mart last night and the cashier didn't even acknowledge me - it was very strange, she just scanned the groceries and handed me the receipt

Next time you're checking out at WalMart- look down at the credit card machine, it'll ask you if your cashier greeted you. If they dont greet me I hit no. What ticks me off is when my 4 year old compliments them (He's big on telling females they are beautiful these days! LOL) and they dont even look at him and say freakin Thank You. He's been ignored by more cashiers than I care to count. :eek:

I went in our local Home Depot last night and I was almost freaked out because every employee went out of their way to say "hello," or "can I help you with something". My SIL was with me and she & I discussed how weird it was. They all seemed very sincere. It's sad that it's so uncommon that you wonder what they are up to if they are nice.

I went in our local Home Depot last night and I was almost freaked out because every employee went out of their way to say "hello," or "can I help you with something". My SIL was with me and she & I discussed how weird it was. They all seemed very sincere. It's sad that it's so uncommon that you wonder what they are up to if they are nice.

I used to work at Home Depot. They grill that greetings thing into you from day one. If you're caught not greeting, you get "talked too". After a couple times they will write you up. So you learn to smile and greet EVERYONE no matter who and where you are. Heck I got in trouble one time because I was coming out of the bathroom and passed a shopper going in. I didn't say hello and got talked to about policy (one of the floor managers was coming around the corner). lol

I was at Subway the other day and they are really good about greeting you but I was amused by the sign on the wall back by where the employees wash their hand. In big print it said "Greet every customer, 'Welcome to Subway'" it made me chuckle that they needed it in writing.

I always make a point to be sickly sweet to cashiers when they don't greet me. Or if I get cut off in an isle I'll say "oh my goodness...excuse me". It is funny to see their expressions but normally they will then acknowledge me...prolly to shut me up. :D