Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2008

Gator Pam

That's pretty much what I was thinking (about the toy markdown). I'll just have to keep checking back. I want to get it for my daughter and then save it for her bday (June). She plays with it every single time we go to Target. Today, I had a hard time getting away from the VTech. :)

I don't know anything for sure, but if I had to guess, I am thinking that there will be a massive toy markdown next week... many things going from 30% off straight to 75% off. Last year, toys around here went to 75% off on the 9th. That fits with a next week time frame.

There are soooo many toys left (around here) that I can't imagine they will have markdown teams doing cuts from 30% down to 50% THIS week and then coming back next week and going down to 75%. Especially since it's already Thursday tomorrow.

UNLESS, they just decide to mark everything down to 50% next week and then let the aisles sit for another couple of weeks before they go to 75%, which would not fit with last year's timeframe at all. I'm kind of doubting that they would do that. I'm betting that next week we will see some major drops in the toy dept.

But, unlike holiday clearances, which seem to at least be within a couple days of each other throughout the entire country, toys can really vary. I don't know about other places, I just know last year most all the stores around here dropped toys to 75% off on Jan. 9th.

I have to agree. While there are some items I would sure buy at 50%, I don't think they are going to go there this year. Around here last year, they marked more items to 30% earlier, then did the 50% week after Christmas and then 75% that second week of January. Since they started with fewer marked early, I think they'll do the whole bunch in one fell swoop. Particularly since they need to get the new toys out. January is when there are TONS of new releases of toys and toy lines. In some stores they already have some of them out, so you can see a bit of what is coming.

Am I the only one that hopes for tomorrow?

I'm off but have to work on Friday! I wish I lived in CA. At least you can see in advance what is happening on the east coast! The weather has been terrable here too. There is usually some type of storm on the days the best sales start.:(

Still 75% off Christmas stuff in Lynnwood Target (near Seattle). Lots left - choc covered cherries, cards, wrapping paper sets, ornaments, decorations. Everything is back near the sporting goods in the back, nothing is in the food area. Toys are a mess, mostly just 30% off, even though I have seen some of the toys at 50% off at the Northgate Seattle Target.

Side note - I was hassled today for using internet manufacturer's coupons. They said that they wouldn't accept them even before she tried to scan them. Called manager over and he said that unless they say Web Coupon on them (like the target coupons) they won't accept internet coupons. I will be contacting CS to have a print-out of the policy in my bag. These were even directly from the manufacturer (Johnson and Johnson, for example) and not even from a coupon site (like Smart Source). GGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Went to Target this morning. They were doing some MAJOR moving of toys, and had started making clearance aisles of them. Lots of toys were sitting around in carts waiting to be moved. I found the travel games for $5.00, but all they had left was Trouble and Battleship. Lots of paper and lights left, but no trees. I heard a couple of people who were helping with the moving of the toys talking about them going on markdown soon, but no firm date was mentioned.

Urg...I really wanted the Trouble and Battleship. They are out at my stores. I was able to get Connect 4 but that is it.

Oops, I forgot about this deal. They had "Hello Kitty" small appliances marked 50% off. They had the popcorn popper ($13.??) and toaster oven and the sewing maching. All were 1/2 off marked, but I didn't scan them. I just couldn't see having a pink kitty popcorn popper in my kitchen, much less the toaster oven!

Am I the only one that hopes for tomorrow?

I'm off but have to work on Friday! I wish I lived in CA. At least you can see in advance what is happening on the east coast! The weather has been terrable here too. There is usually some type of storm on the days the best sales start.:(

Yeah, it is a nice thing. Before I found this list I used to go every day blindly hoping. Now I have good info. I REALLY appreciate you guys!!!

Sorry to hear about your weather. My mom went to Disneyworld for Christmas with my brother's family and returned to Indiana and 18 degree weather with snow. Yuck! We are about to get 4 days of rain. I'd complain, but we are in the middle of a drought, so we really need it.

Plainfield Target in Indiana

Found 2 person wagons for kids on clearance for $41 from $59.99

I bought:

Ghirardelli Chocolate - Double Chocolate Brownies Premium Mix (makes 4 batches) for $4.88 from $6.99

Planters Winter Pack of Peanuts (3 Types) Purchased for $2.33 (Here is why -- I noticed all of the other boxes had clearance stickers for $3.48 and the original price was $6.99. This was the only box that was marked $2.33 but the original price was $3.33. When I went to the register, it rang up the $3.48. I told her the sticker said $2.33. She typed it in and gave me the discount. When she did, the register thing said it was for Fruit Applesauce. There was fruit applesauce on clearance with these clearance tags! Someone obviously made a mistake. But it was great for me!)

Is it the consensus that toys will be 50% off around Friday? They have the VTech VSmart system (it was some sort of special item for the holidays) marked down to $34.98. I'm hoping it goes a little lower even though that is still a pretty good deal.

You may want to check on it. I saw it half off new year's eve (i believe it was). They had 6 or so, I think they had just gone down.

(St. Louis, MO)

I was at a couple of stores today and noticed sooo many Christmas items scattered throughout the store. This is such a hectic time of year for the shelf stockers and markdown teams at Target that its hard for them to keep up (and keep merchandise in its correct place). Unfortunate for Target, but great for customers, especially if you are familiar with what is holiday merchandise. When stuff goes to 90%, those next 2-3 days are some of the most fun scavenger hunting of the whole year. Many shoppers (GOTTADEALERS excluded of course!) may only look in the holiday clearance aisle, or only be looking for the orange stickers, but holiday merchandise isn't stickered, so some items can be sitting around anywhere untouched cause nobody knows they are holiday! Plus there are so many returns coming this time of year that stuff is always popping out of nowhere.

However, after the stuff is salvaged and rings up 0.00 or item not found, it's up to the store as to whether they will sell it to you or not. Then it becomes a game of "name your price" and hope you get lucky. I think that holiday stuff only stays at 90% for just a few days at the most. (I think someone on here said it was going to be salvaged on the 9th???)

Plainfield Target in Indiana

Found 2 person wagons for kids on clearance for $41 from $59.99

I bought:

Ghirardelli Chocolate - Double Chocolate Brownies Premium Mix (makes 4 batches) for $4.88 from $6.99

Planters Winter Pack of Peanuts (3 Types) Purchased for $2.33 (Here is why -- I noticed all of the other boxes had clearance stickers for $3.48 and the original price was $6.99. This was the only box that was marked $2.33 but the original price was $3.33. When I went to the register, it rang up the $3.48. I told her the sticker said $2.33. She typed it in and gave me the discount. When she did, the register thing said it was for Fruit Applesauce. There was fruit applesauce on clearance with these clearance tags! Someone obviously made a mistake. But it was great for me!)

I saw those peanuts today for $1.74 at one store and full price ($6.99) at another. Go Figure! I had a receipt coupon for $1 off, so that made them quite cheap for 3 cans of nuts.:cheesy:

Still 75% off Christmas stuff in Lynnwood Target (near Seattle). Lots left - choc covered cherries, cards, wrapping paper sets, ornaments, decorations. Everything is back near the sporting goods in the back, nothing is in the food area. Toys are a mess, mostly just 30% off, even though I have seen some of the toys at 50% off at the Northgate Seattle Target.

Side note - I was hassled today for using internet manufacturer's coupons. They said that they wouldn't accept them even before she tried to scan them. Called manager over and he said that unless they say Web Coupon on them (like the target coupons) they won't accept internet coupons. I will be contacting CS to have a print-out of the policy in my bag. These were even directly from the manufacturer (Johnson and Johnson, for example) and not even from a coupon site (like Smart Source). GGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

thats my target I go to as well... so I am glad to hear they still have a lot left. I have $$ on Friday so I can finally go get some stuff, I hope by then its 90% or that they have a decent amount still left.

Oh, almost forgot, I saw another Butterscotch Pony today at the Target on Madre in Pasadena if any of you SoCal types are looking. He was on the top shelf over the games as far in the back corner as you can get. If those go straight to 75% some employee is likely to get it, but if you really want it and can get there at the right time it could be you!

:D I am so excited now...we just got back from a new years trip and I had resigned myself to missing Targets 90% off....and what do I read....It has not happened yet! :D I am making myself go to bed now so I can get up early and see if any east coast shoppers post tomorrow morning!

Just curious....how early do employees show up to do price adjustments? Also, do they do markdowns after the store closes at night????

They go in early in the morning, around 4 or 5am and work until 2 or 3pm usually. They do not work overnight, but items marked in the early morning hours are ready when the store opens. Sometimes this includes toys. Just depends on the schedule. They are provided a list of items in different departments each day and they go through that. If there are a ton of things in one department, like toys right now, they'll all work it together and go aisle by aisle. If there are some in HBA and some in Pets, they'll split up and knock it out that way. Most of the time they stick somewhat to the schedule on page 1, but when they have more than usual, they will sometimes get behind and the days are off.

If ALL Targets will be taking Christmas to salvage on Sunday 1/9, then we should see 90% on Friday.

They went to 75% early and they surely do not want to lose any more money.

And since 90% is usually only 2 days, then Friday 1/7 for 90% sounds right.

(I am really hoping it is Friday, since I have to go to a Funeral on Thursday morning)

1/7 IS A MON & 1/9 A WED? EASY TO GET THE DAYS WRONG IF YOU'VE HAD A FEW DAYS OFF--I'VE BEEN DOING IT BOTH WEEKS!

All Christmas still 75% in Arizona EXCEPT (grrr!) Christmas trees, they are only 50% and there are still a lot of them! I was going to buy one for 75% but not for 50%, was really hoping for 90% but don't think I'll get there again before Saturday and it will all probably be gone by then. :(

still at 75% off here in maine, maybe tomorrow (friday) it will go 90% off?

I love you.

I saw you posted yesterday morning too so this morning I thought to myself, Self, you need to get up and check Gottadeal to see if Halee's mom says Target is 90%. If it is, you have to get up, but if it's not, you can go back to bed.

Because your stores open first and you are nice enough to share with us, I can go back to bed.

THANKS!!!!!

Oh, almost forgot, I saw another Butterscotch Pony today at the Target on Madre in Pasadena if any of you SoCal types are looking. He was on the top shelf over the games as far in the back corner as you can get. If those go straight to 75% some employee is likely to get it, but if you really want it and can get there at the right time it could be you!

In Antioch, CA (Northern CA) our Target has a lot of Butterscotch Ponies...they are around $178.

Just got a call from my friend on the east coast, as she is standing in front of a scanner at Target at 8am. She reports that her Target is still at 75 percent this morning. So it's no 90 again at least for now. RATS!!! :gdparanoid:

I love you.

I saw you posted yesterday morning too so this morning I thought to myself, Self, you need to get up and check Gottadeal to see if Halee's mom says Target is 90%. If it is, you have to get up, but if it's not, you can go back to bed.

Because your stores open first and you are nice enough to share with us, I can go back to bed.

THANKS!!!!!

It's easier to call for me rather than getting 2 little ones there and find out it is still only 75% off. I'm wondering if I should be there when the doors open tomorow, hmm...

Have a nice rest:)