Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2008

Gator Pam

I know which one you are talking about.. infact I put one in my basket but couldnt think of one person that could use it so I put it back. Its really cute.. hot pink and "blingy". As far as I could tell it works just like any mp3 player and you should be able to download music like any of the other ones. And 12.xx is a great price for an mp3 player for an 8yr old.

Oh! Is it that one with all the rhinestones stickers or something to put on it? I think I may know which one. Definitely good for a girl. I have only boys, so I avoid stuff like that in general. The main thing is to get a halfway decent one instead of some of the real junkie ones out there. You want it to actually work. A friend's daughter was given one from Limited Too, and it never did work. Just complete waste of money and effort.

Does the girls clothing get marked down weekly OR bi-weekly. They had such adorable dresses on clearance for $9.08 on Sunday when I went (the first markdown). Chocolate brown, black, aqua, pink, and white). Seems like every week I go in the clothes seem to stay at 30% off forever! I see Mondays on the schedule is the day for markdowns, but the last 2 weeks its the same amount. No more discounts

According to the employees in the electronics departments at a couple of stores I visit, they get more returns of Trutech stuff than anything else. They basically said it is junk and for me not to bother buying it. Just passing it along. Not to say that some people haven't had good experiences with TT stuff, just what the employees told me.

Thank you, I will probably keep looking then. I am sure something else will come up. They are pretty much out of toys except they do have some sorts they like (polly pockets and Legos) so electronics is the next step. As you know, always looking ahead for the holidays LOL

I looked at the 19" truetech LCD they had for black friday. I thought that the picture quality was bad for a LCD - about the same as my 10-year-old tube TV. And the DVD "door" seemed really flimsy. JMHO.

Yes, don't want junk, want something that will last awhile for them. Thank you

Does the girls clothing get marked down weekly OR bi-weekly. They had such adorable dresses on clearance for $9.08 on Sunday when I went (the first markdown). Chocolate brown, black, aqua, pink, and white). Seems like every week I go in the clothes seem to stay at 30% off forever! I see Mondays on the schedule is the day for markdowns, but the last 2 weeks its the same amount. No more discounts

In general, Target marks things on a bi-weekly schedule and on the same day of the week. So, if they marked them 2 weeks ago, they should have marked them again this week. However, the markdown team sometimes gets behind schedule (and they have had a lot in departments like Hardware lately) and they do it on an off day. Sometimes, though, corporate will think an item has a better chance staying at the smaller discount and they'll leave it at that longer. That is especially true in Electronics and other high ticket items. Once in awhile they'll skip the intermediate markdown entirely and go 30% for 4 weeks and then drop all the way to 75%. That isn't the norm, and it drives us all bonkers, but it happens sometimes. Basically, you have to get to know your stores and it helps to be friendly with the markdown team if you are shopping when they are on the floor. They all know me and they'll sometimes tell you what they think is going on with an item if you ask. Once in awhile they are surprised that an item doesn't drop in price, too. It can be frustrating. That's what leads to hiding stuff like was discussed at the end of last month.

NO they aren't. All hot pink. No characters or wording on them. 1G I believe. Comes with the ear buds. These seem perfect for a little girl (although they aren't toys of course, just not top of the line) who never had an MP3 player before. She will be 8 so I figure this would be perfect for her. Her brother has an expensive $200 I-Pod and I don't think shes ready for that as yet.

I can do I-Tunes on the MP3 players... Right?

Yes. you have to download in mp3 (or wma if your player takes that) format. Thanks for the info. I'm heading to Target in the morning. I'll look for these.

I believe you have to convert your files to MP3 in order to make iTunes work on anything other than an Ipod. I'm not sure how easy it is - I dont use iTunes.

You usually can't download music directly from itunes and play it on a regular mp3 player. Itunes music is downloaded with an 'm4p' extension that most non-apple (ipod) players do not recognize. There are some programs that will allow you to convert an m4p file to an mp3 file so if your player doesn't support the itunes extension, you'll have to plan on converting them.

There are places online that you can download music in a format that other players will recognize. A quick google search will turn up lots of sites.

I started to object to this because I've used iTunes to download to my mp3 player before. Then I realized that mine is, in fact, compatible with mp4 format. I usually download from Amazon and Best Buy.

Got a question for everyone to verify what a Target associate told me...

I was returning some items and when the person scanned it, she had to put a green sticker on each of the items. When I asked her what the sticker was for, she said that means Target won't allow it to be resold anymore and basically it is thrown out. She also pointed out a bunch of other stuff on a big flatbed cart that also would be thrown out. I asked if Target will allow its employees to take them or will Target donate them? She replied that Target will not give it to anyone for fear of being sued if someone got hurt from the item. All the stuff will get squashed with a compactor before going to the sanitation, so people cannot even scope out the trash area for goodies. I was astounded and she said that usually Target employees don't tell customers unless they ask. She even concurred how upsetting it is since there are tons of ppl that would be grateful for anything. She said it's even more upsetting when they do that with food!

IS THIS REALLY TRUE??? If so, it makes me think twice about buying or returning anything in the future. I'm so upset by it now. Please tell me she was either mis-informed or she was just pulling my chain since today is April Fool's Day!

----

Btw, I was at Westbury, NY Target today and Easter was totally gone. Even the Dollar spot was pretty wiped clean. And no good clearance deals at all. One of the worst deals stores I've been to in a while. I walked out without buying a SINGLE thing! And that's rare!!!

I was returning some items and when the person scanned it, she had to put a green sticker on each of the items. When I asked her what the sticker was for, she said that means Target won't allow it to be resold anymore and basically it is thrown out. She also pointed out a bunch of other stuff on a big flatbed cart that also would be thrown out. I asked if Target will allow its employees to take them or will Target donate them? She replied that Target will not give it to anyone for fear of being sued if someone got hurt from the item. All the stuff will get squashed with a compactor before going to the sanitation, so people cannot even scope out the trash area for goodies. I was astounded and she said that usually Target employees don't tell customers unless they ask. She even concurred how upsetting it is since there are tons of ppl that would be grateful for anything. She said it's even more upsetting when they do that with food!

IS THIS REALLY TRUE??? If so, it makes me think twice about buying or returning anything in the future. I'm so upset by it now. Please tell me she was either mis-informed or she was just pulling my chain since today is April Fool's Day!

----

Btw, I was at Westbury, NY Target today and Easter was totally gone. Even the Dollar spot was pretty wiped clean. And no good clearance deals at all. One of the worst deals stores I've been to in a while. I walked out without buying a SINGLE thing! And that's rare!!!

I would be shocked if that were true at all (unless in cases of something being defective or broken in some way...and even then wouldn't it go back to the manufacturer for refund?)

I would be shocked if that were true at all (unless in cases of something being defective or broken in some way...and even then wouldn't it go back to the manufacturer for refund?)

Well I think there is some truth to it...but only because 2 weeks ago I was in the "shabby chic bedding" aisle looking at some curtains. The associates and a manager were talking at the end of the aisle by the stockroom.. I personally heard the manager say to them "throw those backstock shabby chic "something" (couldnt understand what) out today. They have been back there in that hard to get to place too long and has been salvaged for months.". I SOOOOO wanted to say something because one of my bedrooms is done in the Ashwell shabby chic but I know I wasnt suppose to hear it. Dont know what the pieces were or why they wouldnt at least donate it...but that is exactly what he said. I think about it now everytime I see someone in that aisle. I dont know if they destroy them or crush them but apparently they DO throw them away. With all that said,now I am wondering if there is a chance to talk to a manager after things have been on sale for so long to see if they would reduce it further. (My mind is always looking for 90% stuff hahahahaha)

I was doing a recall project last year, and working in the back of a Walmart store I witnessed them doing it, so I would not find it shocking at all. Usually it is stuff you wouldn't want resold, but they do do it.

I was doing a recall project last year, and working in the back of a Walmart store I witnessed them doing it, so I would not find it shocking at all. Usually it is stuff you wouldn't want resold, but they do do it.

Well the stuff I returned was brand new. A couple plush toys and some the Easter toys NOTHING wrong with it! :confused:

I remember seeing a sticker like that when I returned a sewing machine I had gotten at 50%

and later found at 75% off. new unopened!

To think they do that makes me cringe at returning things....and the whole buy at 50% off and find same item at 75% and return the 50% off item.

I feel absolutely miserable right now :(:(:(

There was just a thing on our news the last couple of weeks about something similar to this. It had more to do with food, but it was about everything really...if a store has food that is going out of date, bakery items, damaged paper goods or they are getting in new fruit or something and want to move out the older stuff, they can donate it and there is no legal consequence to them if something were to happen to the consumer. It was reported the Wal-mart will not "donate" anything to an organization trying to salvage items. This could just be the local Wal-mart, but who knows. Even canned food or jarred baby food that isn't expired and the seal is still good, they throw it out. It's really dumb! I've never seen the "green" sticker at Target, so I don't know if that's true or not.

There was just a thing on our news the last couple of weeks about something similar to this. It had more to do with food, but it was about everything really...if a store has food that is going out of date, bakery items, damaged paper goods or they are getting in new fruit or something and want to move out the older stuff, they can donate it and there is no legal consequence to them if something were to happen to the consumer. It was reported the Wal-mart will not "donate" anything to an organization trying to salvage items. This could just be the local Wal-mart, but who knows. Even canned food or jarred baby food that isn't expired and the seal is still good, they throw it out. It's really dumb! I've never seen the "green" sticker at Target, so I don't know if that's true or not.

That's just horrible. That's part of the reason why we have such a economic class division. When corporations who can lend a hand just throw things out, that's just wrong. Perfectly good things. Worse is when they rather throw it out than say sell it for 1 cent or something ridiculous. Sigh...just depressing. I will think twice before I do a return again anytime soon. :(

And here all along I thought Target just donates all the stuff to Goodwill to sell, since some of you all mentioned seeing the same stuff at Goodwill. :/

Well the stuff I returned was brand new. A couple plush toys and some the Easter toys NOTHING wrong with it! :confused:

I remember seeing a sticker like that when I returned a sewing machine I had gotten at 50%

and later found at 75% off. new unopened!

To think they do that makes me cringe at returning things....and the whole buy at 50% off and find same item at 75% and return the 50% off item.

I feel absolutely miserable right now :(:(:(

That's interesting. Especially since I've seen opened returns on the shelves in Target (the ones with the red and white "AS IS" tags). Last week I saw an "AS IS" tablecloth that was an obvious return. Personally, I'd rather they sell me an unopened sewing machine. How, exactly, do they think this will make someone sick...besides the obvious passing of germs by touch (but they don't destroy shopping carts after each use, so that CAN'T be their fear)??

----

Well, I had asked about their Halloween stuff last year because they had some really neat displays. I asked since the stuff was sold out if I could buy the display and she said no, that they have to destroy all of it. I asked her if the employees could get it and she said no.

Not long after that I was shopping at Rugged Wearhouse and they had a huge sale, racks of clothes for $1! I aksed the salesperson what happens when those dont get sold and she told me that the shred them! She also said that they sometimes get stuff in that is too damaged to go out on the floor and get shredded. Even the stuff that does not make it to $1. She said that it is because the companies that make the clothes dont want their name brands on homeless people. shame shame.

In a better note, I was in TJ Max and overheard the discount team talking about what needed to go into the donation box. So at least they donate clothes that dont sell.

The whole donation thing REALLY varies. Our local Target gives food close to expiration to the LA Food Bank. I see the trucks there regularly. In general, organizations have to approach each individual store for food item donations as the stores need a standard procedure locally so that they KNOW it will be hauled away. Otherwise they have to plan for the disposal.

We also know that some local stores donate things like appliances to local women's shelters, because managers have told us.

Health & Beauty aids, I think, they are required to destroy because of the whole Tylenol tampering thing in the '80s. I think most states have laws about that now.

Other items are up in the air. But if it is no longer sold at the store, they have already salvaged it, they may not have a way to handle it in terms of accounting, so they simply take it as a loss. The accounting systems are complicated, and it is probably simply easier to destroy an item than get it back into inventory and then make a donation of a single item. I know how little common sense is behind it, but on a corporate level, I can understand why they might do it.

----

General rule of thumb

Some items will get a "chargeback". The item is pulled off the floor and sent back to the manufacturer.

Regular returned items are usually put back on the sales floor to be resold.

Damaged items are either sent back to the manufacturer or destroyed at store level. Depends on what the manufacturer wants done.

Some items (usually off brand) are sent to charity. I remember the Target store I used to work in having a salvation army bin in the back room.

So the person working at the return counter was pulling your chain or didn't know what they were talking about.

MY husband works at a Target in the Dallas Ft worth area and they absolutely crush perfectly good items and the employees are told they will be fired if thet try to get any thing. I have often thought what a shame!! We lived in Oklahoma for a while anf the Goodwill there had items from Target so I don't know if the policy varies.

I dunno but I've seen the green sticker before and I was thinking the same thing. I had bought some Senseo coffee pods that had a sale sign under them thinking they were on sale. They rang up regular and I didn't want them for that price so I had to return them at CS and they got a green sticker. I also bought about 5 boxes of Diego fruit snacks for $1.08 at one store and then saw them at another for .74 so I returned the higher price ones and they got the green sticker. I figured it was a liability thing and that they would be thrown out. I won't be returning any food items anymore :no:

I have seen plenty of Target's stuff at Goodwill here (often at higher prices than you could have paid at T, if you are there at the right time!). Lots of $ spot stuff, clothes, toys. Maybe some gets destroyed, but at least some of it gets donated here.

I worked for Wal-mart once apon a time, and was amazed to find out how much stuff got destroyed. I think a lot depends on the manu. Many companies didn't want the few defective items back, so they just gave the store credit and asked them to destoy. Sometime companies refused to allow their products to be donated. But the store I worked for did donate some items to charity. They had 1 or 2 that they worked with.

Regarding the "Green Sticker" topic. I was told that it relates just to food items; even if they are unopened and still sealed. They said they are just trying to protect the public... and to think about it... you wouldn't want to re-buy food that's been returned by someone else.

I suspect the rationale is the same with donating food... you just don't know what people might do to it before returning to the store.

After finding this out, I will not return any food to Target (even if I could get a better price because of a current sale). The couple cents that I'd save isn't worth knowing that good food is getting thrown out.

MY husband works at a Target in the Dallas Ft worth area and they absolutely crush perfectly good items and the employees are told they will be fired if thet try to get any thing. I have often thought what a shame!! We lived in Oklahoma for a while anf the Goodwill there had items from Target so I don't know if the policy varies.

This also happens at the Home Depot my dad use to work at

:blush:

When I was a supervisor at Michaels Arts & Crafts they did the same thing. After items went 90% they would throw them into the compactor. It upset me because they could be donating those craft items to schools or knitting supplys/books to nursing homes etc. They said the reason they did not give them away & they were destroyed was so that people could not return them to the store & receive store credit! Doesn't make much sense to me. Especially with how much trash is in the landfills. If the stores would just donate them to places that could be used it would be putting it to good use & keeping it out of the trash!

So that does not surprise me at all that Target does this too.

Anyways, to stay on topic no good Target finds here lately!

When I was a supervisor at Michaels Arts & Crafts they did the same thing. After items went 90% they would throw them into the compactor. It upset me because they could be donating those craft items to schools or knitting supplys/books to nursing homes etc. They said the reason they did not give them away & they were destroyed was so that people could not return them to the store & receive store credit! Doesn't make much sense to me. Especially with how much trash is in the landfills. If the stores would just donate them to places that could be used it would be putting it to good use & keeping it out of the trash!

So that does not surprise me at all that Target does this too.

Anyways, to stay on topic no good Target finds here lately!

If they are worried about store returns, just put a great big stamped donated item or unreturnable mark on it? They really could work it out. If they find a need to shred clothing etc, maybe it can go into making something else instead. I do understand the food and items that are taking internally, there is a big risk to that also defective items. But as far as the rest, seems a waste.

after a two week vacation I was back at target today but kind of dissapointing didn't find much just some workout clothes 50% and a sport bra $75 I saw some bathroom scales that I'm interested but they are 50% I'm wating for 75% if you see this please let me know

If they are worried about store returns, just put a great big stamped donated item or unreturnable mark on it? They really could work it out. If they find a need to shred clothing etc, maybe it can go into making something else instead. I do understand the food and items that are taking internally, there is a big risk to that also defective items. But as far as the rest, seems a waste.

:yup: It could be easily solved but corporate could care less at least as far as that company goes!