prepaid cell phones

I've been looking at net 10. They are 10 cents a minute all the time. I use about 150 minutes a month so that would only be 15.00 a month. Other pay as you go have you pay a daily usage fee as well as the charge per minute. If you go to net10.com there is a place to compare it against other companies. You do have to buy a 30.00 card ever 2 months to keep the service active but if you dont use all the money it rolls over. Most pay as you go phone require this.

Tracfones are cheap and you can get 150 min for 20.00. A 60 min card is 20.00 and there are codes all over the net for an extra 60 or 90 min. My son has one and he loves it. We were in Mississippi a few months ago. I could not get service with my verizon phone, but his phone always got service. I ended up having to use his more than I got to use my own.

We've been using Virgin Mobile for going on over 3 years. They have been running specials on their phones via their website for like $20.00 with $20.00 worth of minutes. You have to activate the phone online to get the credit. They charge 18 cents a minute for calls (the frist and 5 cents per text message. You can also do monthly plans with no contract. The only commitment is that you "top up" your phone (add money) every 90 days with at least $20.00. If you select auto topup and have the charges to a credit card or checking account, that drops down to $15.00 every 90 days. With Virgin Mobile, there is no per daily fee - which is the best part I think.

We have been pleased with their coverage and service, they use Sprint's network.

You can also earn extra time by signing up for a program to basically read emails.

If you decide Virgin Mobile is for you, activate the first phone, then use the number as a referral to activate the 2nd phone - you get a referral bonus with Virgin Mobile.

I use Virgin Mobile, have been for four years now. I have no idea how many minutes this is for, but I pay $20 every 90 days. Even when we were without a landline during moving, I was using the phone daily and I never had to top up before the 90 days!

So ditto Andrea. Totally pleased here. Even their spotty coverage on the Oregon Coast isn't bad. We found coverage every 5-10 miles, depending on how heavily wooded the area was that we were in. When according to the map of where we'd get service, it shouldn't be getting to where we were at many places!

We got my DD a "Go Phone" and she can call anyone that has att&t wireless for free. The only down fall is that she is charged $1.00 a day for each day she uses the phone (calls in and out. Not just turned on) however, most of her friends have att&t formerly cingular and at $1.00 a day I'm okay with it. Oh yea, all other calls are 10cents a minute. She has been really good with it. It comes with $10.00 on the phone, she has had it for a month now and she is still using the original $10.00.

I've used tracfone for 3 years now and am completely happy with them. Coverage is great and I always buy the year long service card that comes with 400 units (each minute is one unit whether it is local or long distance). We are getting my stepson a tracfone for christmas and having family all buy him 60 minute cards. We figure that will extend his service through his birthday next year and if he runs out of minutes, he'll have to earn more through chores and good grades.

I like tracfone -- coverage is better than ANY traditional company up here where we live in the boonies (I can get reception in my house, which I'd never been able to do before -- had ATT, Nextel, Sprint and Verizon)

Minute plans are fair, and we got this promo deal where we bought 800 minutes and got double minutes for life -- that means whenever we buy more minutes, they're automatically doubled.

Added bonus: I've REALLY cut down on my cell phone usage now that I watch that little minute counter! My phone bill was $70 at a minimum every month and half of it was fees...

I've had a tracfone for about a year now and I just use it for emergencies. I get the 60 min cards for $20 and then find codes on the web to bump the minutes up to 120-150. It also extends service for 90 days. The minutes rollover so I have nearly 400 minutes and I don't have to add any time to the card until mid March.

I vote Tracfone, too. We get the yearly plan for about $100 but they have a new family plan that we will more than likely switch to when it is time for more minutes. A friend of mine had trouble getting reception when she was out of town. She was aggravated and was going to switch carriers but when she went into a store to check out their plans (I think it was Sprint?) and was telling the clerk, the clerk said she was shocked because Tracfone uses everyone's towers and should have the best coverage. When my friend checked the setting on her phone, it turned out that there is a setting for local calls only and she had that turned on! Once she changed that, she was good to go and kept the Tracfone.

I just got my ds11 one, well for x-mas, I got the verizon prepaid because me & my dh are "in" that plan & all calls to other verizon is free. But now I'm kinda geting worried after I read that Cingular "Go Phone" , I wonder if they charge a $1 a day thing?? I don't have it here to read about it, I'll have to go to my hiding spot & do some research!! He's only 11 & I really only bought it for when he has practices, sometimes things change & if he had that he could get ahold of us quickly I'm sure he'll use it a little more @ first since it'll be like a new toy, but like anything it'll wear off!! But back to topic if he has to pay $1 everyday that could be up to $30 a month assuming he makes 1 call each day, then do you have to pay for the minutes on top of that?? I'm getting confused...someone please help if you know about this!! I'm gonna search the internet to see what I can find out, o.k. sorry to ramble!!:confused:

I was researching plans for my sister and at the website for net 10 with the purchase of most of the phones, you get a free 300 minutes, you get 100 free when activated, you get another 100 when you a add a card and you get the third 100 when you activate a second card, so you buy the phone and in the end also get 300 free minutes. My sister is going to buy this for my 12 year old niece for Christmas and see how responsible she can be before thinking of adding her to our monthly family plan at T-Mobile. Good luck.

good info.. we were thinking about getting grandma one... she isn't very tech savy LOL and most likely would just be using it for emergencies.. but she really needs one IMO she is like 70 and will make trips from VA down to SC a few times a year.. The trac phone sounds god, since they work off everyones towers ...

I would love to hear more infor on a yearly plan?

Sorry if this reposts. New poster....

Walmart has a deal right now, buy the phone for 14.88 and it comes wth double bonus minutes for the life of the phone. Buy online and have it shipped to the store to save on shipping costs.

I guess I am too new of a poster to post links so hopefully this is the right item number.

product # 8031801

C.

good info.. we were thinking about getting grandma one... she isn't very tech savy LOL and most likely would just be using it for emergencies.. but she really needs one IMO she is like 70 and will make trips from VA down to SC a few times a year.. The trac phone sounds god, since they work off everyones towers ...

I would love to hear more infor on a yearly plan?

Just visit the www.tracfone.com site. The year plan is currently 550 minutes for $99. There are some other options that might be better for her if she will be using Only for emergencies. They usually have a deal for a free, refurbished phone with a purchase. We have had a few of the refurb and they are perfect. I highly recommend them. I haven't been able to find anything anywhere near a comparable price....but we don't use them all the time. We mostly call for "I'm on my way home. Do we need milk?" or "I'm done with practice. Come and pick me up."

Program Service Days included Minutes included Price

50 Minutes Value Plan 30 service days 50 Minutes $9.99

Family Value Plan 30 service days 50/30 MINUTES*** $9.99/$5.99*

Lifeline Value Plan 30 service days (none) $4.95**

I just got my ds11 one, well for x-mas, I got the verizon prepaid because me & my dh are "in" that plan & all calls to other verizon is free. But now I'm kinda geting worried after I read that Cingular "Go Phone" , I wonder if they charge a $1 a day thing?? I don't have it here to read about it, I'll have to go to my hiding spot & do some research!! He's only 11 & I really only bought it for when he has practices, sometimes things change & if he had that he could get ahold of us quickly I'm sure he'll use it a little more @ first since it'll be like a new toy, but like anything it'll wear off!! But back to topic if he has to pay $1 everyday that could be up to $30 a month assuming he makes 1 call each day, then do you have to pay for the minutes on top of that?? I'm getting confused...someone please help if you know about this!! I'm gonna search the internet to see what I can find out, o.k. sorry to ramble!!:confused:

Any phone that charges you a daily maintenance type fee means the minutes you talk you pay for ON TOP of that fee.

I've had Virgin Mobile for about 4 years as well.

They are really good about replacing phones if there's a problem. They ship the new phone overnight via FedEx, then you take the new one out while Mr. FedEx man is waiting and put the defective phone in the same box and write the number Customer Service gives you on the outside. Mr. FedEx man takes the broken phone with him and you owe nothing.

I was paying $50/month for a $29.99 basic cell plan and only used maybe 100 minutes per month. Dd was going broke buying 'Top Up' cards, so we traded. I bought the little OYSTR phone about a year ago. No bells and whistles, just a phone to make and receive calls. I gave my old phone to a friend's daughter. When she got an account, I got $5 for the referral. My friend has it set up where $20 is automatically added every month and her dd pays for anything over that.

I pay .25/minute for the first 10 minutes used in a day, then .10/minute for over that amount.