Article: "Retailers Post Robust Start to Holidays"

Brad

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071125/D8T4EQR00.html

NEW YORK (AP) - The nation's retailers had a robust start to the holiday shopping season, according to results announced Saturday by a national research group that tracks sales at retail outlets across the country.

According to ShopperTrak RCT Corp., which tracks sales at more than 50,000 retail outlets, total sales rose 8.3 percent to about $10.3 billion on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, compared with $9.5 billion on the same day a year ago. ShopperTrak had expected an increase of no more than 4 percent to 5 percent.

I thought you all said the deals sucked? :P

No numbers from any specific store yet, so we'll see. There's a few stores I hope have low sales... ;)

and yet we had all the doom and gloom forecasts leading up to Black Friday.

It's the same every year.

I'm surprised that the seacoast vendors here haven't started their reports on how bad summer 2008 is going to be for the tourist season.....

doom and gloom sells. All i heard about on Wednesday night was tales of unbelievable delays at the airports, stress from the holiday, traffic on the roads.

Woke up Friday to find that none of it came to be.

Well... I can honestly say..... Walmart deals sucked as almost all of them are still in the aisles at the 4 Walmarts that I've been to, post BF. And... I'm happy about it!

Of course.. there are suckers born every day. ;)

I cannot believe it either I spent $200 on Black Friday this year compared to a usual $1000-$2000! I shopped EARLY this year and stuck to not getting anything else.

I think the ads were disappointing AND they never came up with a gimicky toy like they do everyyear. This season hottest ticket was gaming systems and Rockband which my family purchased on the release date....Where is the tickle me Elmo or whatever for this year?

It just seems ho-hum to me. I always wonder about the sales from BlackFriday VS. The RETURNS after Black Friday....I for one am holding onto my Walmart receipt because even TODAY they still had pallets of the ads items. I will rebuy and return the original price items if they start dropping prices FOR SURE!!

Hmm, I know I stayed home all weekend. I bought 2 pairs of jeans from Old Navy online Friday morning since it was cheaper to have them shipped then to drive there. I am hoping for some more random sales to hit up for my fill in gifts. Either way I'm definitly spending less this year in general. I didn't feel as motivated by what I saw in the ads to go out.

Oh, and the one "must have" for me was the Wii. I bought that over a mth ago thanks to what people were projecting here on the forums about supply.

I'm cutting back the amount I spend on each of my kid's by 1/3 this year. I put it towards a new 32" flat screen tv (we were watching a 13") and a tv stand. In fact, dd7 only cost me $160 this year. She's getting 3 PS2 games, 1 GBA game, 1 dvd movie, dora furniture, clothes (clearance from Old Navy), Polly Pocket AirPlane, Littlest Pet shop bakery and talent show, playdoh, spongebob operation, and books (off ebay). EVERYTHING was on sale or clearanced. The teenager is a little different. Since she and I parted style paths years ago, she actually buys what she wants and I wrap it. She got a purse originally priced at $60, marked down to $20 and got a nice surprise when she found a giftcard in her wallet worth $10. The only thing I bought her (on sale of course) was a gamer rocker chair.

I work for a fairly large sporting goods retailer (a national chain or very close to being one) and I must say we did much better than we were expecting to for BF.

That being said our #'s seemed to drop off rapidly for Sat/Sun in comparison to last year.

Personally, I am wondering if the numbers being better than expected are indicative of consumers trying maximize the value of their dollar by purchasing the majority of their holiday items on BF and over this initial holiday shopping season weekend which most consumers regard as the days during which they are able to get the best deals overall.

I shopped but stuck to my list down to the last letter. No impulse buying going on here. A lot of people I know did that. May have been more purchases because people are looking for bargains and their dollars have to go farther. I think there will be a cooling before Christmas.

I would really be interested in seeing Walmarts numbers. I for one drove right on by Walmart for the first ever black friday. Not only did there deals suck badly but the major reason was the crap they pull with Gotta-Deal. I spent about the same as I did last year But I am no where near done. I have 4 kids and I got the two youngest done but the older two are very hard to shop for this year. I just didn't see anything for the teenagers on sale!!