Wal-Mart Threatens Legal Action Against GottaDeal.com

Brad

Probably wants to ask me to stop having you guys call her all day :P

She told me its policy that they have to answer every call:D

Just remembered: I recommended gottadeal to her from one BF shopper to the other, but forgot to give her my referral email. :g_think: Should I call back. :D

She told me its policy that they have to answer every call:D

Just remembered: I recommended gottadeal to her from one BF shopper to the other, but forgot to give her my referral email. :g_think: Should I call back. :D

Make sure we bookmark Sarah Clark's phone number for future reference then!:D

Did anyone else get the response that" somebody would be contscting me in the next 2 business days"?

I did lay it on really heavy about not even having another competitor in a 50 mile radius of my local Walmart. It is even 20 miles away from where I live. How even rumors of the ad builds business around here. Another reason the are actually finding less and less of my $$, is their actions and threats towards consumers.

Isn't that sad? Wal-mart is concerned with the loyalty of their customers but they seem to have no loyalty TO their customers or what the customers want.

Biting the hands that feed them.....that's what they're doing. I wonder how much money Wal-mart would lose if people didn't shop in their stores for just one day AND if it would be a big enough message to them to make some changes.

It's stupid. You can't sue somebody over something they haven't done. Where did Walmart get their lawyers anyway?

They aren't suing anyone yet. They are saying if we post the ads they will consider legal action.

does the forum have a main database for all our emails when we registered? Is it possible to do a mass email w/ ad items? (thats for any store that threatens the site?) That way we still know the items, but its not posted. lol. There is always a loop hole in anything if you look/try hard enough :)

I like this idea. Here something I found on copyright laws:

They e-mailed me a copy, so I can post it."

To have a copy is not to have the copyright. All the E-mail you write is copyrighted. However, E-mail is not, unless previously agreed, secret. So you can certainly report on what E-mail you are sent, and reveal what it says. You can even quote parts of it to demonstrate. Frankly, somebody who sues over an ordinary message would almost surely get no damages, because the message has no commercial value, but if you want to stay strictly in the law, you should ask first. On the other hand, don't go nuts if somebody posts E-mail you sent them. If it was an ordinary non-secret personal letter of minimal commercial value with no copyright notice (like 99.9% of all E-mail), you probably won't get any damages if you sue them. Note as well that, the law aside, keeping private correspondence private is a courtesy one should usually honour.

(source: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html) Pretty cool site explaining the basics.

So, if were to get an email listing certain items on sale at store, i.e. Wallyworld (no I am not using W*lm**t, just in case, because i dont want to get hit with a lawsuit), i could sent it to everybody in my contact list and quote the contents?!

HMMM, of course copyrighted pictures are another thing. I always thought that a product image belongs to the company who produces the product. So if walmart uses actually product images in their ads, they must have some copyright agreement with the manufacturer. How does that preclude gottadeal from using a product image? Do "every and all mentioning and pictures (i.e. the words and logos)" of walmart have to be blacked out of the ad scan???

Would that still infringe on their so-called copyright??

(maybe we could have a renaming contest.....I suggest "the unmentionable"..:D

Their competitors' ads have already been designed as well. In many cases their competitors' ads come out before their own.

It says that the actual list is not copyrighted! (just the scan) The ad can be leaked and we can still enjoy the typed goodness therein! I am happy with a re-typed list. You may just have to say that it is "rumored" instead of confirmed, because it may imply that you were a knowing party to a leaked ad. I have given them my two cents worth, and threatened them with legal action if they attempt another Garth Brooks stunt, like last year!:gdenough:

It's stupid. You can't sue somebody over something they haven't done. Where did Walmart get their lawyers anyway?

BigLots!:cheesy:

I sent my "expression of displeasure" via their feedback form. I suggested that perhaps I shop at Target instead.

Oh great, now I have to shop in France! Way to go, Walmart!:eyepoppin

Good job on the e-mails. Calling might work better if they let you talk to a human.

Here is a mailing address for snail mail letters as well:

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

If anyone can find more direct phone numbers or e-mail addresses for the higher-ups at WM, that would also be awesome.

give the coupon ladies the news to spread, and give out a gottadeal shirt or points to the most prolific people!:smart:

Email and calling as well. What a crock.... You know, If I don't see early ads for a place, i'm more than likely NOT going to shop there and not going to tell the other people who like to shop for BF the great deals either. Their sales sucked last year, thats not because they were leaked its because, their merchandise they had for the sales SUCKED (at least IMO). They just keep pushing and pushing people away from their stores.

Brad, It is time to recap what a bad "secret 8" is made of! Anyone got the list handy?

I found a phone number that actually rings to a person!

Sarah Clark did the press release when Walmart announced their new CEO, Eduardo Castro-Wright. Anyway here's her info!

[email protected]

Tel: 479-273-8771

Castro? Now i am getting the picture! It all makes sense now!:razz:

Thank you to everyone who keeps calling and e-mailing them :)

But don't stop today - keep calling them every day until they change their decision. If the calls stop after today, they'll feel as if they've "weathered the storm" and nothing will get done. Your e-mails and especially your calls are making a difference!

You know what... I held my tounge about Wal Mart, even on the thread asking about working there. Well wal mart can kiss my butt.

Fine when the ad is leaked just email it to each and everyone of us and well FLOOD the dang internet with Wal Marts ad. Heck I'll even call each competition store and tell them personally whats on there.

Get a grip wal mart. Its an ad! (and not a very good one lately anyways)

jayma... my walmart still has a display case full of garth brooks boxed sets:yuck:

I've called, submitted my feedback and posted on Myspace. I literally live next door to WM (I can see their lights from my backyard!) and i will surely drive the 15 miles to Target and Kmart (eek!)

Don't stop calling!!!! We really can make a difference, I was heavily involved in the Jericho Campaign and it worked!

You know what else!!! (can you tell that Wal Mart get my blood boiling?!) We shop there first, as a matter of fact last year we hit 2 (TWO) wal Marts but if they keep this up I will sit my butt outside Target waiting for them to open.

Oh and I'm sending a link to the CNN story to my local news. There a supercenter 10 min. from here and a Wal Greens going in right across the street from our little wal mart. I'm not the only BF shopper in this town!

The more I think about it, the less interested I am in seeing the ad -- even when it arrives in my own mail box. Oddly enough, today I received an email from Wal-mart showing numerous pre-season rollback prices. I do hope this isn't their attempts to soothe the customers, because it isn't working. I'll take a blue light special over a rollback any day after seeing the actions of Wal-mart during the excitement of Black Friday. We show them interest in seeking out their ad and they slap us in the face. I'm turning the other cheek, Wal-mart, and taking my butt to your competitors! :razz:

Oh yeah for my last post at the moment in this thread, I was having a hard time deciding where to go first this year. I want a new TV for dh and a laptop. I reallllllly didnt want to wait at BB but I guess if Wal Mart stands their ground I'll be out there with everyone else on THanksgiving waiting for BEST BUY to open!

walmart is the only store within 45 miles of my home (unless you count loves gas station).

i guess i'm making the long haul up to target, bb, etc.

as soon as the boss man leaves the office i'm going to make my call and then also put it on my blog, on myspace, and also on the 'mommiesnetwork' hotline. don't mess with frugal mommies, we'll light a fire so hot under your ass that a trip to hell would be a vacation.

OH YEAH. and i also have every email address for every custom framing, craft and art store in the nation as well as canada and u.s. territories. If they really push me I might just have to push that 'send to addressbook' button.

Just got off the phone with Sarah and she said that they are very concerned about the number of calls they are receiving and that they will be discussing this. She asked me if I would shop there if they did not go through with their threat. She was polite and seemed concerned and understood our feelings.

That is who I spoke with too. When I gave her the gottadeal website she said "That's a new one. I've never heard of it" I told her it's on CNN:eyepoppin

Ok, so I have to admit that I've been on other BF websites... A SHAME!!! I know!! But it is mainly to converse like this... They had issues in the past with Sears and others, and posted Sears as "Bears" with list of items. Could you do something like that?? Now that I gave the secret away!! LOL

We are almost done with our shopping and I can honestly say, we probably only spent about $50 at Walmart so far. Still need toget dh an xbox 360 and am waiting on the holiday bundle but now I will buy it at Best Buy! I normally do all my xmas shopping at Walmart as it is the only local store, but we were treated horribly last year when waiting in line for a PS3 so I took the majority of my shopping elsewhere! Walmart needs to learn that it's our money and if they don't want to treat us right, we CAN and WILL spend it somewhere else!!

I filled out the feedback form. I will boycott them if they mess with gottadeal.com. Not just BF, groceries, the works. I boycotted them once for about a year because they would not sell me a GBA SP at midnight on launch when they said they would. Stupid Orlando Walmart night manager! Target got my business in the AM. :tongue1: