>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

A question regarding Compact Flash cards. I'm definitely going with the extreme III but is it worth it to buy 2Gb vs. 1Gb? Has anyone looked for good deals on them?

Thanks,

Nicole

If you are going to be shooting RAW then the bigger the better. It saves time having to transfer cards. I shoot alot of sports so every second I spend changing a card can mean a great shot lost. One my 30D, I can get 245 RAW images on one 2GB card. I haven't really checked it out on my 40D and can't remember on my XT or XTi. :confused:

I haven't really looked at deals on CF cards yet this year though. But throughout the year, Staples has great sales.

What would it cost to get the extra lens, bag, and battery, that Best Buy has on their BF sale? Would I be saving a ton of money by fighting the crowds? Also, how important do you think the extended warranty is on a camera like this?

I guess you have to decide if, for you, the extra lens and bag, etc is worth the $200 + tax price difference from the Amazon price plus lining up Thanksgiving night at Best Buy. If you're already going to be there and want that lens go for it!

I personally chose to buy the amazon deal because this is my first DSLR, our tax here is very high (it would be an extra $60), and I don't know if I'll really need the extra lens- or if it is that good- in the long run. As Longhorn Mama said, you may decide to upgrade to a better lens down the road which will usually put you out more than the camera cost in the first place.

Plus, Best Buy scares me on Black Friday!

The only product I've ever really needed the extended warranty on is my laptop due to the battery failing twice and having to replace the hard drive. Again, personal decision though Consumer Reports says that they usually aren't a good idea.

I've been looking for a good deal on this camera for awhile, I'm just hoping I got one!

If you are going to be shooting RAW then the bigger the better. It saves time having to transfer cards. I shoot alot of sports so every second I spend changing a card can mean a great shot lost. One my 30D, I can get 245 RAW images on one 2GB card. I haven't really checked it out on my 40D and can't remember on my XT or XTi. :confused:

I haven't really looked at deals on CF cards yet this year though. But throughout the year, Staples has great sales.

Thank you! I appreciate the info. I looked through the ads today but no extremely great deals yet.

With the lenses. I would go with the kit lenses to begin with. For a few months get a feel for the focal length that you use most. Then you can move up to better quality lenses in that range. No need to put out that money on a lens you won't use that much. I think alot of people are going to get sticker shock when it comes to buying quality lenses, and those are the most important thing.

I am going to have a really hard time selling my wife on expenses lenses for a while. I am looking at buying the camera on Amazon and then going to BB to pick up the 75-300 lens. They are running it for 211. I have been told it is good to have a close-up and a long-range lens so this would fit me for a while, right?

Would it be wise to go ahead and pick up an extra battery at the same time?

Also, is it necessary to spend a few extra dollars to get the silver casing XT due to the scratching on the black model XT?

I am going to have a really hard time selling my wife on expenses lenses for a while. I am looking at buying the camera on Amazon and then going to BB to pick up the 75-300 lens. They are running it for 211. I have been told it is good to have a close-up and a long-range lens so this would fit me for a while, right?

Would it be wise to go ahead and pick up an extra battery at the same time?

Also, is it necessary to spend a few extra dollars to get the silver casing XT due to the scratching on the black model XT?

B&H has the 75-300 for 149.00 as of yesterday. I got some great shots from this lens when I had it. I think it gets a bad rap because it isn't one of the coveted "L" lenses. I would totally go for the black XT as opposed to the silver! Always go black. The resale valuse holds better. If you ever decide to get a Vertical battery grip for it, they only come in Black so it will look better.

The kit 18-55 and 75-300 should do you well for a long time. If you ever decide to go wide angle or macro, I totally endorse the Sigma brand lenses. You can get the extra battery if you want. It's always good to have 2, but I would look online at Sterlingtek for batteries. About 1/3 the price and a longer life cycle.

Great info, LM. I never know which battery companies are good and which are potentially harmful for the camera.

I've heard nothing but good about Sterlingtek and I have a few myself.

I'll get back to you about that 30D as soon as I can get a straight answer out of my husband. He keeps flip flopping on me!

B&H has the 75-300 for 149.00 as of yesterday. I got some great shots from this lens when I had it. I think it gets a bad rap because it isn't one of the coveted "L" lenses. I would totally go for the black XT as opposed to the silver! Always go black. The resale valuse holds better. If you ever decide to get a Vertical battery grip for it, they only come in Black so it will look better.

The kit 18-55 and 75-300 should do you well for a long time. If you ever decide to go wide angle or macro, I totally endorse the Sigma brand lenses. You can get the extra battery if you want. It's always good to have 2, but I would look online at Sterlingtek for batteries. About 1/3 the price and a longer life cycle.

Thanks again for all the great info. I was almost ready to go and order the XT but then I was told by a Best Buy salesman that the XTi has a new technology that knocks off all of the dirt and dust of the sensors and keeps it cleaner. Plus it is faster. Is that worth the extra money alone for those features?

Regarding other stores, I may end up paying a bit more at BB for the lens because I have a $250 gift card and a 10% coupon. But B&H does sound like a good place to shop.

Also, how big of a CF card can these cameras take? 2GB? 4GB? 8GB?

Thanks again for all the great info. I was almost ready to go and order the XT but then I was told by a Best Buy salesman that the XTi has a new technology that knocks off all of the dirt and dust of the sensors and keeps it cleaner. Plus it is faster. Is that worth the extra money alone for those features?

Regarding other stores, I may end up paying a bit more at BB for the lens because I have a $250 gift card and a 10% coupon. But B&H does sound like a good place to shop.

Also, how big of a CF card can these cameras take? 2GB? 4GB? 8GB?

Ah.... the Anti-Dust system! There are so many mixed reviews on this. I personally wouldn't spend the extra cash for that feature alone. It won't knock off ALL of the dust at all. It's a fact. You will get dust on your sensor. Can't be helped. Truth be told, alot of the DSLR's come with dust. No extra cost of course. ;) But, you figure in the extra megapixels, the 9 point AF, the higher fps, it really does pay off.

B&H is THE store to purchase camera gear from IMHO. Adorama is good too, but B&H wins my vote based on excellent customer service and a great return/exchange policy. Those are the only online merchants besides the big box stores that I would ever trust.

The highest GB CF card I ever used was 4GB and it was fine.

If that one drops under $150, I'll probably be buying it for my wife. It's a great camera and it won't take up much space in her purse.

As for the BF cameras that are ultra-compact and still decent, the 7.2mp Casio Exilim cameras that Sears and Circuit City will have for $139.99 would both be good buys. They are very small, but still turn out a good quality photo.

actually casio's aren't that bad. my parents had one before (before my sister destroyed it by dropping it on the beach several times and managed to get the lens thingy to only close halfway) and it did take some nice pictures. my parents were only considering size when they bought it, but it did the job well.

Also, for those looking at the XTI, Ritz has a camera deal just like CC has on BF.

This week!!!!

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi 2 lens Zoom Kit -Includes Canon 18-55mm & Canon 75-300mm

Regularly $999.99 - $50 Instant Savings - One-Week Only Color is Cool Sale!

Our Stock # SLR1155

$849.99 Our Price:

$0.00Free Shipping (orders over $100*)

$0.00 tax

Also comes with a FREE printer after rebate...

Purchase the HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer with any Digital Camera between August 15 and December 31, 2007 and get the rebates back by mail.

Printer and Camera should be Added to Shopping Cart Separately

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1155.htm

Just got back from Ritz camera and heres a Tip for the dust issue:

Salesperson says to always shut your camera off while your changing lenses,

cuz if not, it will suck the dust right in it. Also it cost $75 to send it out to clean.

Yeah, in theory the sensor will be electrically charged and will statically atract the dust. It's always a good idea to turn it off. Especially if you ever purchase an IS lens. An IS lens needs a few seconds to stop before being taken off.

One MAJORminor purchase for everyone is going to be a Giottos Rocketblower. Alot of dust can be dislodged off the sensor with just a few puffs of this. NEVER used compressed can air for this. I repeat NEVER!

Ah.... the Anti-Dust system! There are so many mixed reviews on this. I personally wouldn't spend the extra cash for that feature alone. It won't knock off ALL of the dust at all. It's a fact. You will get dust on your sensor. Can't be helped. Truth be told, alot of the DSLR's come with dust. No extra cost of course. ;) But, you figure in the extra megapixels, the 9 point AF, the higher fps, it really does pay off.

B&H is THE store to purchase camera gear from IMHO. Adorama is good too, but B&H wins my vote based on excellent customer service and a great return/exchange policy. Those are the only online merchants besides the big box stores that I would ever trust.

The highest GB CF card I ever used was 4GB and it was fine.

Thanks for the quick response and for sending some dust my way :D

So since I am coming from a Kodak Z-30 and have always used a point and shoot, what do you think I should go with? a $499 Black XT or spend $629 to $650 on the Black XTi? Will I really notice the other features to make it worth the extra money?

Plus, I have read in reviews that the XTi has a slightly worse battery life, due to the larger LCD screen, and that the shot controls are all on the LCD have been a negative to some reviewers.

I trust your opinion and look forward to hearing back on what camera I should go with. (I want to order it tonight)

Thanks for the quick response and for sending some dust my way :D

So since I am coming from a Kodak Z-30 and have always used a point and shoot, what do you think I should go with? a $499 Black XT or spend $629 to $650 on the Black XTi? Will I really notice the other features to make it worth the extra money?

Plus, I have read in reviews that the XTi has a slightly worse battery life, due to the larger LCD screen, and that the shot controls are all on the LCD have been a negative to some reviewers.

I trust your opinion and look forward to hearing back on what camera I should go with. (I want to order it tonight)

Sorry about the dust, but unless you have a goverment grade clean room around any time you need to change lenses, it'll be there.

The extra features? Will you notice? Not really if you've never used a DSLR! But for me, it is worth it.

What do you plan on shooting? Kids soccer games? Any sport? I'd go for the higher fps. The 9 AF is nice also because you have more creative control.

I love the larger LCD, battery life or not. You are going to get alot longer life with these than you are used to with a P&S, so just keep that in mind.

Now, my final and stupid reason for going for the XTI. (I'm guilty of it.) You won't find yourself a couple months from now wishing you had the newer model. Stupid I know, but in todays world, a real problem. That and if you ever decide to upgrade to the XXD series, you'll get a LOT higher resale value for the XTi than the XT.

Sorry about the dust, but unless you have a goverment grade clean room around any time you need to change lenses, it'll be there.

The extra features? Will you notice? Not really if you've never used a DSLR! But for me, it is worth it.

What do you plan on shooting? Kids soccer games? Any sport? I'd go for the higher fps. The 9 AF is nice also because you have more creative control.

I love the larger LCD, battery life or not. You are going to get alot longer life with these than you are used to with a P&S, so just keep that in mind.

Now, my final and stupid reason for going for the XTI. (I'm guilty of it.) You won't find yourself a couple months from now wishing you had the newer model. Stupid I know, but in todays world, a real problem. That and if you ever decide to upgrade to the XXD series, you'll get a LOT higher resale value for the XTi than the XT.

We don't currently have kids but my wife and me have talked about it in the near future. So we won't be shooting many sports scenes that way. However, for other kids in the family, we might shoot some sports shots.

This camera is going to be our "all purpose" camera. I plan to take it on the yearly 7 day cruises we go on, to family events, and just shooting shots around the house. You can see a lot of the photos I have taken at http://www.rutherfordfamily.net/photos. (I am currently working on migrating all 6,000+ photos to Flickr)

So bottom line, for a first digital SLR, is it worth it to get the latest and greatest or the slightly cheaper model? I will probably be using this camera for many years. It has taken me five years to convince my wife that I can get a SLR to begin with :)

Also, my dad, who passed away in July of this year :( , had a bunch of old camera equipment. He has some old Mamiya lenses and cameras, old canon lenses and cameras, and some old Vivitar lenses. Would I be able to use any of these lenses now or is it even worth it with changes in technology? We have a lot of older equipment we may try to sell if anyone is interested or could point us in the right direction.

Just to put my 2 cents in.. when I was talking to the ritz salesperson today, she made up

my mind when she said that Nikon only goes with Nikon lenses. But Canon's can use

many other makes of lenses. So with that said, I was thinking .. "If I'm not able to

pay top of the line prices for a brand new lense, at least if I get a canon,

I can get a used one that someone wants to let go for a fraction of the price. "

HTHs someone.

We don't currently have kids but my wife and me have talked about it in the near future. So we won't be shooting many sports scenes that way. However, for other kids in the family, we might shoot some sports shots.

This camera is going to be our "all purpose" camera. I plan to take it on the yearly 7 day cruises we go on, to family events, and just shooting shots around the house. You can see a lot of the photos I have taken at http://www.rutherfordfamily.net/photos. (I am currently working on migrating all 6,000+ photos to Flickr)

So bottom line, for a first digital SLR, is it worth it to get the latest and greatest or the slightly cheaper model? I will probably be using this camera for many years. It has taken me five years to convince my wife that I can get a SLR to begin with :)

Also, my dad, who passed away in July of this year :( , had a bunch of old camera equipment. He has some old Mamiya lenses and cameras, old canon lenses and cameras, and some old Vivitar lenses. Would I be able to use any of these lenses now or is it even worth it with changes in technology? We have a lot of older equipment we may try to sell if anyone is interested or could point us in the right direction.

If you plan on this being your main camera for years to come, then yes, I would go with the XTi. Simply because it has more features that you van grow into, but that's just my $.02.

As for the older lenses, they won't work without a converter that is expensive, hard to find and hardly worth it. You'll lose any autofocus capabilities and possibly some f/stops.

I have no doubt though that you will be very happy with either camera. You might try Craigslist to sell the older equiptment. Might help fund your new stuff!

Sorry, about your Dad. :(

Just to put my 2 cents in.. when I was talking to the ritz salesperson today, she made up

my mind when she said that Nikon only goes with Nikon lenses. But Canon's can use

many other makes of lenses. So with that said, I was thinking .. "If I'm not able to

pay top of the line prices for a brand new lense, at least if I get a canon,

I can get a used one that someone wants to let go for a fraction of the price. "

HTHs someone.

I'm not a Nikon guru, nor do I play one on TV so I didn't really know about the lens thing.

Getting used lenses are the way to go as long as you can test them out first, just be warned, the lenses hold their resale value WAY better than the camera itself does.

If you plan on this being your main camera for years to come, then yes, I would go with the XTi. Simply because it has more features that you van grow into, but that's just my $.02.

As for the older lenses, they won't work without a converter that is expensive, hard to find and hardly worth it. You'll lose any autofocus capabilities and possibly some f/stops.

I have no doubt though that you will be very happy with either camera. You might try Craigslist to sell the older equiptment. Might help fund your new stuff!

Sorry, about your Dad. :(

Thanks again for all your help. If you would not mind, I would love to pick your brain about how to use this camera in the coming days. If it is okay with you, could we talk on email? You can reach me at [email protected].

I have put an order in to Amazon for free 2 Day Shipping on the Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (Black) and the SanDisk 2GB ULTRA II CompactFlash Card for $681.91. So I should have this set here by Wednesday!

Now maybe I will sleep in and go to BF at a more reasonable hour instead of staying up all night :)

actually casio's aren't that bad. my parents had one before (before my sister destroyed it by dropping it on the beach several times and managed to get the lens thingy to only close halfway) and it did take some nice pictures. my parents were only considering size when they bought it, but it did the job well.

Thanks for the input on the casio... I took my daughter shopping and ask about size verses quality. She was willing to give up quality for the size. For her that was what was important and know how she will use it, she is probably right. Kids do take pictures differently, and just delete, if they don't like them :) If there are any others I should consider, please let me know... especially if they come out before black friday!!!

I've heard nothing but good about Sterlingtek and I have a few myself.

I'll get back to you about that 30D as soon as I can get a straight answer out of my husband. He keeps flip flopping on me!

I finally got around to looking up Sterlingtek, and I'm impressed. $12 per battery is great. I also forgot that the batteries from my Canon G5 are the same as the EOS batteries, so I've already got a spare. :yup:

No worries on the camera. I don't want him to make a decision he regrets, so take your time.

Thanks again for all your help. If you would not mind, I would love to pick your brain about how to use this camera in the coming days. If it is okay with you, could we talk on email? You can reach me at [email protected].

I have put an order in to Amazon for free 2 Day Shipping on the Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (Black) and the SanDisk 2GB ULTRA II CompactFlash Card for $681.91. So I should have this set here by Wednesday!

Now maybe I will sleep in and go to BF at a more reasonable hour instead of staying up all night :)

Congrats on the purchase! You are going to love having all the new options and creative freedom that you just can't get with a normal P&S!

I'll help you out as much as possible. I'll drop you an email later today so you can have mine. I think you got a really good deal on that. Just be careful, "L'coholism" sets on fast and strong.

I finally got around to looking up Sterlingtek, and I'm impressed. $12 per battery is great. I also forgot that the batteries from my Canon G5 are the same as the EOS batteries, so I've already got a spare. :yup:

No worries on the camera. I don't want him to make a decision he regrets, so take your time.

Glad to help!

Just remember there are 2 types of batteries used by the EOS cameras, so make sure you order the right ones when you do get one.

About the camera, I'm just annoyed because I want him to make a choice before it loses anymore resale value! He just needs to hurry up and make a choice. :2stickpok