>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Was it the Nikon D40 or D40x that they were reviewing?

Take a look at the review on those cameras at www.dpreview.com. They are a dedicated camera review site and they really know what's important and how to put a camera though some very telling tests.

I'll have to take a look at that site. The problem is finding the time to research it all. In your opinion which is better? I have some lenses from a 35mm Canon that I was hoping to use in the Digital one. The problem is don't know if they will fit etc. I guess I have to go to a camera store. And then there are a few different Canon rebels, some with lenses, some without. I don't know which is the right one to buy. Should I buy a body only and use the lenses I have? This is giving me a headache!

I'll have to take a look at that site. The problem is finding the time to research it all. In your opinion which is better? I have some lenses from a 35mm Canon that I was hoping to use in the Digital one. The problem is don't know if they will fit etc. I guess I have to go to a camera store. And then there are a few different Canon rebels, some with lenses, some without. I don't know which is the right one to buy. Should I buy a body only and use the lenses I have? This is giving me a headache!

Hi!

I'm not going to turn this into a Canon vs. Nikon fan war, but here is a post I gave a while back showing the noise quality of two comparable Nikon and Canon cameras.

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showpost.php?p=949716&postcount=75

The ability to have lower noise at a higher ISO is important for me because I do a lot of low light night time sports shots.

There are many other factors in this debate, but for me, this is the leading one. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

If the lenses are EF or EF-S, then they will work on the Canon Digital SLR camera bodies.

I have put an order in to Amazon for free 2 Day Shipping on the Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (Black) and the SanDisk 2GB ULTRA II CompactFlash Card for $681.91. So I should have this set here by Wednesday! :)

Just curious.. did you get your camera yet?

And if so, what condition was it in?

I'm nervous about buying one online, instead of in person. :fluffy:

I've ordered a lot of camera equipment in the past from B&H Photo, and it comes in great condition. I've also ordered a lot of electronics and fragile items from Amazon, and I've never had anything arrive broken. Amazon does a very good job at over-packing items that need to be well padded.

Please Help!

I was going to get the Canon A720 for a friend, who wanted to be able to take good pix of her daughter playing Softball, on BF at CC. Since almost all her shots will be outdoors, the lag time with flash isn't an issue.

Now they have the A710 with a printer for $239 until Saturday.

Should I get that instead? She has left the camera selection up to me, with an @ $200 price point, and I don't want to disappoint her. TIA

I'm back everyone...well, my camera budget has been slaughtered, thanks to the lovely $2000 price tage on our airline tix to Florida!!!!

So....no more big=end SLR. So now I need help picking something that has more zoom, better quality than my 3x/3.0 MP Coolpix (which is broken anyhow). Would like something with a minimal delay between pictures, and would like to stay clear of the Kodaks. My dad has a Canon and likes it.

Any advice from the Camera Gods would be appreciated, now that I can't spend the $600+ for the Rebel pkg on BF :mad:

My dd wants a pink kodak easy share, I have been looking online. Found these so far. Keeping fingers crossed for better deal BF.

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000OQG9Y6/ref=sr_1_5/102-8626889-9518539?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1189112340&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000TJY4ZO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/102-8626889-9518539?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189111326&sr=8-5

The reason she want an easy share is that is the kind I have and she likes mine. Plus she wont buy batteries and Im not either, lol.

Keep in mind battery cost, look for a rechargable battery camera.

I almost bought one of these tonight for my daughter, they have them on sale for 79.00 at Walmart right now and in pink...but I didn't like the pink, it made the camera look cheap. I ended up with a Nikon pink 5 mp same features as the Kodak for 10.00 more, LCD a tad smaller but I have found Nikon is a better camera overall.

Anyone know anything about the Polaroid cameras? I found a 10mp w/ optical zoom, etc. on clearance for 130.00 but wasn't sure the quality of the Polaroids...Any advice. I am looking to upgrade from my 5mp Samsung BF special from last year. It has been a great camera but the shutter sucks and am looking to spend in the 100.00 range...Don't need anything fancy.

Can you spend ~$250? If so, I'd go with a Canon SX100IS.

Yes. Esp if BB has it -- still have about $100 + in free BB bucks, so that helps. I think that was one of the ones I tested out and thought it was good, but at the time I was looking at the SLRs. Seems it's gotten good reviews, so i may just go with that, then just use dad's 35 mm + lens when DD has her dance shows.

Anyone know anything about the Polaroid cameras? I found a 10mp w/ optical zoom, etc. on clearance for 130.00 but wasn't sure the quality of the Polaroids...Any advice. I am looking to upgrade from my 5mp Samsung BF special from last year. It has been a great camera but the shutter sucks and am looking to spend in the 100.00 range...Don't need anything fancy.

Stay WAY the hell away from Polaroid Digital Cameras... they are the cheapest of the cheap for a reason.

Also, that Office Depot Canon SD1000 deal really sucks looking at it now. It's $200 with a $50 mail-in rebate and the Free Printer is a mail-in rebate as well.

I can only pray that somebody online will have this camera for close to $150 come Cyber Monday.

Ok. I went to teh Canon website and compared the s5 with the SX100IS. Can anyone tell me waht is different? Which is teh better camera overall? http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113

The S5 has a longer focal range and a faster aperture which will be better for low light settings. Very slightly faster fps. And a faster shutter speed. Plus it has a hot shoe adapter if you want to add a stronger flash.

Just curious.. did you get your camera yet?

And if so, what condition was it in?

I'm nervous about buying one online, instead of in person. :fluffy:

Sorry for the delay in a followup, I have been busy shooting some shots with the new camera. For those of you curious, you can view the first few shots I have taken:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78186649@N00/sets/72157603198679974/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78186649@N00/sets/72157603152167744/

The camera is in great condition and with Amazon you never have to worry about customer service, returns, or fast shipping. In fact, if you order from them, you can sign up for a trial of Amazon Prime for a month and get free 2 day shipping or get overnight shipping for 3.99. Not a bad deal at all.

While I am nowhere near ready to start shooting things manually, the quality of the shots with automatic is absolutely stunning. Much better than anything I have ever used before.

Now, the big problems I have are:

(1) A camera book

(I was told to try out this one. any thoughts?)

(2) A Flash

(I need a cheap flash that can help improve shots. My dad had an old Canon Speedlite but the DSLR won't recognize it due to its age)

(3) A Monopod to go with my Tripod

(My brother in law said this is an absolute must. I was leaning towards this one. any thoughts?)

Now, the big problems I have are:

(1) A camera book

(I was told to try out this one. any thoughts?)

(2) A Flash

(I need a cheap flash that can help improve shots. My dad had an old Canon Speedlite but the DSLR won't recognize it due to its age)

(3) A Monopod to go with my Tripod

(My brother in law said this is an absolute must. I was leaning towards this one. any thoughts?)

1. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

This book is a must have for anyone who wants to understand how to take pictures manualy.

As for the other book, anything you will ever want to know about your camera can be found online.

2. A Canon 430EX is going to be your best bet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397664-GREY/Canon_0298B002_430EX_TTL_Flash.html

I've also heard great things about the Sigma.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/515362-REG/Sigma_179_101_EF_530_DG_ST_Flash.html

3. This is the monopod I have, I love it for game nights!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5535-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_680B_680B_4_Section_Compact_Monopod.html

Hi,

First time posting on this board. I really want a Canon Rebel XT and was thinking about picking one up on BF. The BB deal that was mentioned seems really good (the package for $700), but I was surprised to read through this thread and see people bought the camera at Amazon instead. What am I missing? It seems like for the cost of the extra lens alone, it'd be worth it to go with BB's deal.

Can someone tell me why I should or shouldn't go to BB on BF to get that package?

I'm about half way through "Understanding Exposure" myself as I just got a 350D a few weeks ago. It came highly reccomended by just about everyone. I've also got a "mastercalss in Photography" book that I've had for a year or two that I haven't cracked the cover on. I'm also waiting for the new edition of "The Digital Photography Book" which comes out Jan 5, 2008. I figured I'd rather red the two books I have now and wait for the newer revision since it's so close.

I would also reccomend picking up a Canon "nifty fifty" 50mm lens. You can get the f1.8 at Amazon for less than $70 shipped. It's a great lerning and beginners lens that's great for portraits and indoor photography and it won't break the bank.

Hi,

First time posting on this board. I really want a Canon Rebel XT and was thinking about picking one up on BF. The BB deal that was mentioned seems really good (the package for $700), but I was surprised to read through this thread and see people bought the camera at Amazon instead. What am I missing? It seems like for the cost of the extra lens alone, it'd be worth it to go with BB's deal.

Can someone tell me why I should or shouldn't go to BB on BF to get that package?

The 75-300mm lens included in the kit isn't that great of a lens. You'd be better off buying a body alone from Amazon or somewhere online that has a good deal ($400-$450) and then spending the remaining on a much better lens.

The 75-300mm lens included in the kit isn't that great of a lens. You'd be better off buying a body alone from Amazon or somewhere online that has a good deal ($400-$450) and then spending the remaining on a much better lens.

why isn't it a good lens? what are some good lenses and what makes them good?

For something that's good quality and nice for an "all around lens," I would reccomend something like the Canon 28-135 or 18-85 IS lenses. OR the Tamron 18-250. Online, you can find these lens for ~$350 and get teh body for $425-$450. That's approximately the same price for a much better setup. The kit 18-55 and that 75-300mm lenses are not the best. They're ok for begineers, but if you want to get serious into photography, both will shortly become useless. I'm no expert on the matter, just getting into DSLR stuff myself, but I've been doing plenty of research lately. This is just my opinion on the matter.

Personally, I picked up a used Rebel XT for $300, a used sigma 28-70mm lens for $30 (comparable in quality to the 18-55mm kit lens, and one of the 50mm lenses for $70. This is great fo me beginning, and then once I get more advanced, I'll be getting one of the lenses I mentioned above.