>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Yes, it was the one from Best Buy. We also bought the $189 e-machines for the sister in law. We did camp out early but we got everything we wanted. This year we are going to actually buy stuff for ourselves.

I bet! Well I hope they do another deal like that this year. But I've never been lucky enough to actually get a good spot. Not when there are people that line up since Monday!

• 2 weeks later...
What is the best laptop for $500 or less? I started Black Friday shopping at 15 years old, which was 2 years ago and now since I have a job, I actually have money to spend :D !!! Okay, so i need a laptop for college. I need it for internet use, homework, and chatting. I live in San Francisco, and I was wondering where has the best deals with the greatest chance of getting the laptop. I always start at CompUSA cause they open at midnight, but is it better to wait at around 11-12pm at BB for the Doorbusters? Or any other store?

i got the $599 acer from last year at CC

Turion X2 TL-50 AMD Processor

1GB Ram

120GB Hard Drive

DVD burner

Webcam

it was on sale for about $749 mid octover, so if you see something in that price range, my guess is thats what your going to see at that $599 pricepoint

i upgraded the PC so it has Office 2007 and Vista Ultimate, and some other software

it works flawlessly

(im gonna sell it for $600 on craigslist and upgrade on BF)

Best buy had a HP core solo that was $749 before & after BF, but they slashed it to $379 for BF, so let's hope they do it again. :D

HEY YOU GUYS! I just wanted to update everyone on my laptop situation. A few weeks ago I mentioned that my laptop was stolen this summer while I was at LaGuardia Airport. Well this morning as I am walking out of the house to drive to work I see a nice little sealed brown box that says TOSHIBA on it. That's right ladies...my husband replaced my laptop and it's not even Christmas yet! I think he may have been persuaded by all my talk about camping out at Best Buy to get a good deal on laptops. Thank goodness my for my husband's laziness!!!!

I haven't opened it up yet since I was already running late but I will tell you ALL about it as soon as I get home from work! I was actually tempted to take the box with me and lock my office door to install it while I'm at work but I nixed the idea! :blush:

I want a laptop for the following reasons:

To surf the net

digital scrapbooking

Maybe to hold pictures but mostly my pictures are stored in my Zune.

What would you recommend for me? And you in your opinion I shouldn't pay no more than X amount? Thanks

I wouldn't recommend Windows Vista at all for a laptop. I use it on my desktop and I love it, but it's a gaming rig with 4 GB of ram and a dual/soon to be quad core processor. For any cheap laptop that you'd get on black friday you should try to install XP on it if you can.

My ze2308wm from 2005 is still working fine with xp installed.... many of the cheapy $200-300 lappys have similar specs today...

Biggest drawback with Vista is it's a memory hog. But that's been the case with every new OS generation Microsoft has introduced since Win 3.1. With every new release came a larger RAM requirement because of all the new "features" they crammed into them.

Biggest drawback with Vista is it's a memory hog. But that's been the case with every new OS generation Microsoft has introduced since Win 3.1. With every new release came a larger RAM requirement because of all the new "features" they crammed into them.

It knows how to use the memory a LOT better then XP, so even though it's a memory hog

it manages it a LOT better. It's really not that bad.

Just about anything on the market today. Just about all of 'em brand new come with half a gig of memory, WiFi, and a big enough hard drive to store a ton of photos. All depends on what you plan on doing with it AFTER that. You need to think if that's all you plan on doing with it for as long as you have it, as it's very difficult to upgrade anything besides the memory and maybe the drives. The cheaper ones won't make for very good video editing/creating/burning for your home movie DVDs (believe me, I've tried) and they're fair for gaming but not for the gaming enthusiast.

One more question like this and I might be forced to make a BF laptop FAQs. :razz:

Please write a laptop FAQ......Thanks.

I am in nursingl school and I could really use a laptop i have alot of notes that i could be typing in class instead of writing them I leave in Hampton roads usally goe to walmart on black friday I dont know about this year I am still mad at them for not having a layaway! but i'm thinking they are gonna have the best and cheapest deals this year on laptop! Is there anyone else from hampton roads Va who knows somewhere cheaper or anyone with suggestions from anywhere!

I actually got 2 compaq presarios last year, one for me, one for my younger brother, but they were the Celeron M, 512MB, 80GB hard drives for $399 each. I actually bought them the Sunday after Thanksgiving, they came with free Mail In upgrades to Vista basic. I got them at the Jordan Creek Best Buy at like 4:30 in the afternoon. We called ahead and then rushed right out after I got off the phone. I was shocked they had that many in stock. My brother still has his, I sold mine and got about the same earlier this year with Vista.

If i had to do it again, i'd buy the Compaq Intel Dual Core with 1Gig Memory and 120GB hard drive for just $50 more. Just goes to show sometimes patience pays.;)

If anyone is looking fr a good Laptop for cheap Bestbuy has one now for $449 its a Compaq Dual Core, with Vista home premium, 1024 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, Read and write dual layer DVD CD drive,

I actually picked up this laptop about 2 weeks ago. But it has 120 GB HD. It's running Vista fine with the 1GB Ram. But I'm mostly a web surfer and just run programs like quicken and such. It runs pretty quick, so no complaints there. It seemed like a decent price at the time (about $475 with tax), especially with my laptop and desktop both dying on me in the same week!

But I must say, I don't particularly like Vista as I've had to download updates for Vista in order to get Quicken and family tree maker to work on it. So I'm still debating about loading XP on it.

does any have an idea or even a hunch if theres gonna be any xp laptop deals? I really hate vista and I dont see the need to pay the extra software cost just to have a brand new laptop be crippled with 2 gig of ram. 2 gig of ram in an xp system is as much as you will ever need.

Slightly off topic (sorry) is there a place that sells laptops without any operating systems.

A bare-bones laptop.

thanks

How many laptops were 400 or less OTD last year? I know Best Buys has the toshiba, but does anyone recall anywhere else that had one 400 or less OTD.

Circuit City had a Compaq for $299 after $100 rebate

Office Depot had a Toshiba for $299 after $150 in rebates (I opted for this one for my 8 year old as it was the only place with no line at midnight.)

does anybody know the specs on the acer that will be on sale at walmart tomorrow for $348?:confused:

here you go:

Specs for the Wal-Mart friday Laptop sale

Processor Intel® Celeron® M Processor M 530 (1,73Ghz, 1MB L2, 533 Mhz) Intel® 64

Memory 1GB (1x1GB DDRII 667)

Display 15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) Integrata 3D, Intel® 960GML, Intel® GMA X3100

HDD 80GB S-ATA 5400rpm

Optical units DVD-RW SuperMulti 8X

Sound Sistem audio stereo High-definition, MS Sound compatible; Microfon incorporat

Connectivity 802.11b/g

1 x ExpressCard™/54 slot

4 porturi USB 2.0, External display (VGA) port; Headphones/speaker/line-out port;

Microphone-in jack; Line-in jack; Ethernet (RJ-45) port; Modem (RJ-11) port; DC-in jack

Operating system MS Windows Vista™ Home Basic

Battery Lithium Ion, 6 cells

Battery life up to 2 hours

Weight 2.8Kg

Other characteristics Notebook cu design Gemstone, display CrystalBrite cu 8ms, 1 x SoDIMM liber; Acer QuicCharge™ technology (3-ore charge-in-use); Software aditional: Acer Empowering Technology (Acer ePower / ePresentation / eLock / eRecovery / eSettings / ePerformance Management); Acer GridVista™; Acer Arcade™; Acer Launch Manager; Norton AntiVirus™; Adobe® Reader®; CyberLink® PowerProducer™; NTI CD-Maker™

Warranty 1 year

Can anyone kindly recommend me a laptop that would be able to play a game like Team Fortress 2. As for specs i am just looking for stuff that would make the game run smoothly. What specs should I keep an eye out for and The cheaper the better.

We picked up a Toshiba 2 BF's ago from Best Buy for $399. Spent another $100.00 for extra memory and the thing has been a great computer....no problems at all (knock on wood).

This year we're getting 1 for the daughter for college next year and hard to imagine, but might be cheaper than the Toshiba!

Hey guys!

I'm an Au Pair from Germany and since yesterday I've never heard about a black Friday sale. I need a laptop really badly because the Computer of my hostfamily is to slow and it has a Virus ..etc..

The thing is: I really don't know much about Laptops and what it should have or not have..

I need your help!!

I would like to use the laptop for Internet (Skype, ICQ,..) Music, Pictures, Dvds, burning Cds/Dvds.. I don't really play games or use complicated Programs. I would like to spend between 400$ and 500$ for the laptop.. and it should not be to heavy or big.. the colour doesn't matter to me.

Can anybody recommend a laptop that matches my imaginations above? It would be so great if someone could help me.

The stores that are close to me are for example Best Buy, Cercuit City or Walmart..

Please let me know if you have a tip for me! ;)

Thanks,

Lisa

Hey guys!

I'm an Au Pair from Germany and since yesterday I've never heard about a black Friday sale. I need a laptop really badly because the Computer of my hostfamily is to slow and it has a Virus ..etc..

The thing is: I really don't know much about Laptops and what it should have or not have..

I need your help!!

I would like to use the laptop for Internet (Skype, ICQ,..) Music, Pictures, Dvds, burning Cds/Dvds.. I don't really play games or use complicated Programs. I would like to spend between 400$ and 500$ for the laptop.. and it should not be to heavy or big.. the colour doesn't matter to me.

Can anybody recommend a laptop that matches my imaginations above? It would be so great if someone could help me.

The stores that are close to me are for example Best Buy, Cercuit City or Walmart..

Please let me know if you have a tip for me! ;)

Thanks,

Lisa

Get a laptop with at least 1gb ram, and atleast 100gb of hard drive space and you should be fine. i think all the laptops on bf will have a min of what i listed above. hp and toshiba laptops are pretty good.

Guest ZeroGravity107
Some of the new PCs and Laptops may be released with newer parts that only have Vista drivers, or so I'm told. I would choose XP over Vista but I'm thinking about settling for Vista and getting used to it.