Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2007

1angelnhvn

When we send items to salvage, it means they get repackaged and sent back onto the line to get put back on the floor. This is all done by supervisors, so no, we don't get first dibs.

Salvage at Target means that they get packed up and sold off to a salvage company or one of the big charities like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Not repacked to sell on the sales floor. You can see that the NJ stores sell it through Liquidation.com.

I got a GREAT DEAL today! Went to Target this am and on one of the Toys endcaps (didn't say Clearance) - I saw 3 of the HArry Potter Lego sets that you all had talked about a while back....so I went to scan them - Item Not Found-NO PRICE.....so went to customer service and told them and asked if they'd sell them for $5.00 each THEY DID!!!!! I bought 3 boxes of the HP Order of Phoenix for $15.00 TOTAL!!!

Great find! CONGRATS!

I was at Target today, did see some Air Wick decospheres for 1.64 but I didn't buy, because I knew I had a coupon at home! I did snag a two pack of the Good Start 12.9 oz formula for $13, used a $11 check from Nestle, got two cans of formula for $2!!! That's probably the best deal I have ever gotten. Plus they had coupons for $1 off Air Wick scented oil in the paper couple weeks back. They had the two packs on sale for $3.99, also had coupon for buy the refils get a free warmer unit. Our Target had two packs of warmer units, so paid $2.99 for two refils and two warmer units! These make great little gifts for teachers or whoever! I love target clearance!

Salvage at Target means that they get packed up and sold off to a salvage company or one of the big charities like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Not repacked to sell on the sales floor. You can see that the NJ stores sell it through Liquidation.com.

i am not getting into rhetorics, but SOME stuff we do salvage goes back to the floor. because not all items that get defected at guest services is actually broken--a lot of the times, it just needs repackaging.

Look, I know my job, I know what happens. Some Targets may do things differently but the point is, Target makes sure their employees are treated just like customers--no side street for sale merchandise, nothing. I sat out in the cold at my own Target, just like everyone else, on Black Friday. No special treatment.

i am not getting into rhetorics, but SOME stuff we do salvage goes back to the floor. because not all items that get defected at guest services is actually broken--a lot of the times, it just needs repackaging.

Look, I know my job, I know what happens. Some Targets may do things differently but the point is, Target makes sure their employees are treated just like customers--no side street for sale merchandise, nothing. I sat out in the cold at my own Target, just like everyone else, on Black Friday. No special treatment.

I think all Targets are different. I know OUR store allows the employees to shop on their breaks,so.... if there is something they know is going back they can "shop" during their break. It use to upset me a little bit but then all I have to do is think about those poor clerks on Black friday and during Christmas rush and I say "go for it". I always say an extra prayer for them at this time of the year. They cant POSSIBLY enjoy Christmas when they see decorations even before Halloween. :eyepoppin:eyepoppin

If it goes back to the floor then it isn't "salvage." Its "repackaged." Your store may be different. At our stores here, price change team loads their carts with the great deals and keeps them if they want them. Plenty of employees put stuff in the back that they know is being marked down, too. I know because they have told me they do it. One was upset last summer when the train table she put back for herself to buy for her son was taken by another employee. She knew I was hitting all the area Targets for the toy bargains and had me looking for one for her.

If it goes back to the floor then it isn't "salvage." Its "repackaged." Your store may be different. At our stores here, price change team loads their carts with the great deals and keeps them if they want them. Plenty of employees put stuff in the back that they know is being marked down, too. I know because they have told me they do it. One was upset last summer when the train table she put back for herself to buy for her son was taken by another employee. She knew I was hitting all the area Targets for the toy bargains and had me looking for one for her.

I agree. The term salvaged means it's out the door being written off, going elsewhere. Repackaged means it's been open, but we're going to tape this bad boy up and mark it down a bit and sell it. Seasonal items that have gone 50/90% off or just lost in the back room and not sold thru will go to salvage and it'll be brand new, same with some clothing. But also employees are not "suppose to" put things in the back or buy things before guests have a chance to. But people are going to break the rules and do it. Ever go faster than the speed posted? Yes employees are allowed to shop on breaks and on lunch, yes they see things and will go get it. Its called integrity. Target wants the guests to have every opportunity to buy things before employees who get the inside scoop, but on break and lunch an employee is a customer too.

Love to shop isn't saying employees are bad, just that the terminalogy being used is incorrect.

I think every Target is different...For at my local Target, the employees purchased all the Harry Potter legos for $11 before the public were even given a chance. I know this because one of the associates confesed when I kept asking repeatedly. She even was so bold as to tell me she had purchased 3 sets...and sold them all on Ebay....

So it can and does happen that Target employees have access to sale or clearance merchandise before the public...

So it can and does happen that Target employees have access to sale or clearance merchandise before the public...

And that is one of the perks of working at Target. Target employees are not SUPPOSED to buy things while they're on the clock but it happens and like I've said before, I've seen managers do it too. Heck, when I was at Target, my store manager was ok with us buying clearance stuff on the clock because he thought it was unfair that we couldn't get in on the deals just because we were working. Target actually has ETL-HR managers (which stands for Executive Team Lead-Human Resources) that are there specifically to make sure that employees are happy. So although they're going to discourage team members from buying clearance/sale items on the clock, they sure as heck won't stop them if it does happen.

Guest online_assistan

I think every Target is different...For at my local Target, the employees purchased all the Harry Potter legos for $11 before the public were even given a chance. I know this because one of the associates confesed when I kept asking repeatedly. She even was so bold as to tell me she had purchased 3 sets...and sold them all on Ebay....

I'm guessin u guys have never worked retail?!? Every store does markdowns and who does these markdowns (employees!). If a job didn't have its perks there wouldn't be any workers lol. Also, I am sure employees get sick of repeat customers going in everyday asking for the same items. I would keep it more on the down low. I am sure they finally get the hint it must be that sought after when someone comes in and hounds them that there is one in stock online and it isn't showing up. I say gooo for it first come first serve. I have always heard employees are the best customers.

I bought one of those picture printers early last month on clearance thinking it was a great buy. When I got it home and realized someone had returned it but used all the paper that was included and probably half the ink I was pretty mad. Plus I couldn't hook it up to my computer to print the pics so I didn't want it. I took it back and told them that the paper was missing and so on but she looked at me like I was lying and I actually used it. Anyway, I saw this on a endcap again a few days ago and it had target tape on it so you couldn't open it but nowhere did it say anything was missing in it.

So beware of buying things on clearance b/c it could be missing parts and so on.

they were handing out $5 off $25 coupons this morning 8-10. They may do it later, but it is part of their annual promo for seniors. I got several. they expire 12/31.

I went into Target on Dec. 4th around 9 am and a woman was standing there like a greeter but she didn't hand me any coupons. :confused: Didn't notice if she gave anyone else any either. Just thought they were trying to have a greeter like walmart.

I'm guessin u guys have never worked retail?!? Every store does markdowns and who does these markdowns (employees!). If a job didn't have its perks there wouldn't be any workers lol. Also, I am sure employees get sick of repeat customers going in everyday asking for the same items. I would keep it more on the down low. I am sure they finally get the hint it must be that sought after when someone comes in and hounds them that there is one in stock online and it isn't showing up. I say gooo for it first come first serve. I have always heard employees are the best customers.

Oh please. I've certainly worked retail. And, at our department store, we would have been fired for shopping off the clock. We had a specific procedure we had to go through to put anything on hold or to purchase. If we didn't we got fired. It is one of the many reasons, though, why customers hide stuff. Not just to keep the other customers from getting it at a lower price, but to keep the employees from snagging everything.

Oh please. I've certainly worked retail. And, at our department store, we would have been fired for shopping off the clock. We had a specific procedure we had to go through to put anything on hold or to purchase. If we didn't we got fired. It is one of the many reasons, though, why customers hide stuff. Not just to keep the other customers from getting it at a lower price, but to keep the employees from snagging everything.

Target has a specific procedure also and although it's followed for customers, it isn't necessarily followed for employees. I don't think the big guys at Target care who buys these items, employees or customers, just as long as SOMEONE buys it.

When I was still at Target, an assistant department manager was fired for holding clearance stuff for herself. She wasn't fired necessarily because it was clearance items but because she was holding onto electronic items in the camera drawers located at the electronic registers and waiting for the prices to drop. As much as it is wrong for an employee to do this, it is also wrong for a customer to do it as well.

You (and by you I mean the general public) can't complain that employees are taking all the deals and still think it's ok to hide items for yourselves. That's why it doesn't bother me when I see employees taking sale/clearance stuff for themselves. The item should belong to whomever finds it first.

[Edited to add: Last year, I found tons of clearance Christmas stuff that was hidden. If I was in charge of, say, the health and beauty section and I found Christmas candy hidden behind the lotion, I'd place it in my cart. Every employee has a cart with them when their zoning the store at the end of the night. If they find stuff that doesn't belong in their section, they would place it in their cart, and when they got a chance, they would go up to guest services and bring the "abandons" to the front so they can get sorted. Now, if I found something on clearance that I wanted for myself, I could always keep it in my cart, and wait until I go on break to buy it. You're really not "holding" anything for yourself so it would be ok in my manager's eyes. That's what a lot of my fellow coworkers did. If a customer came by and looked in my cart and asked for the clearance item, I would have to give it to them. If no one asks, it's mine to buy. As long as these items are not sitting in a cart in the stockroom, I don't see what the big deal is.]

You (and by you I mean the general public) can't complain that employees are taking all the deals and still think it's ok to hide items for yourselves. That's why it doesn't bother me when I see employees taking sale/clearance stuff for themselves. The item should belong to whomever finds it first.

I'd agree if there was an opportunity for the customer to find it first. Often there isn't. Not if the employee is taking it as she marks it down. Or if it is taken before the store opens. I don't think any of us has a problem with people shopping on their breaks. Saying that it isn't fair that an employee can't take advantage of a markdown because she is working is silly. Many of us in this discussion work, and many look at this site while they are at work, learn of a markdown deal, but cannot go take advantage of it until we get off work or are free to go. The same should be true for store employees.

But we all digress....and big, bad Brad will probably step in and yell at us if we continue this discussion. We have had it before, and many of us disagree. The discussion isn't likely to change any minds....

I'd agree if there was an opportunity for the customer to find it first. Often there isn't. Not if the employee is taking it as she marks it down. Or if it is taken before the store opens. .

Although I always hope this thread stays on topic, I feel I must add a point.

No employee is taking every product marked down. There are often more than one product. If we, as consumers, wait for that one extra mark down and there is only one left and the worker buys it, congrats to that person for their patience and perseverance also. However, coming from a retail stand-point, I believe that hiding a product, not just moving it, but hiding it, is much the same as stealing. If the product is not easily visible for spot check inventories etc, it is considered no longer in the store and is essentially a loss to the store. Losses are made up at some point, no doubt about that.

Finding clearance should be serendipity. If we know of its possible existence, which is why Gator Pam began this thread, it aides the hunt. Sharing our finds should be fun. If you feel you can hide a product, then employees can hide it by putting it in the back so you can't find it and they can purchase it.

Just my thoughts...

On a side note...I cannot wait to see what is out in the Global section this year!

On a side note...I cannot wait to see what is out in the Global section this year!

Got a notice in my Red Card statement, and if I remember right it said it would arrive January 3rd. I meant to post it when I read it, but forgot.

On hiding, Gator Pam also shares some commonly shared spots. The difference between an employee taking it to the back and a consumer doing it on the sales floor is that it is possible to "find" it on the sales floor. Most "hiders" hide their items in common spots. So common that many of us have found other people's stashes. That is how I managed to find a Lego Harry Potter Castle. I was looking for something else entirely on the Lego shelf, and was moving some of the big sets around to see if they were mixed up, and there it was. :)

Guest online_assistan

haha. if you didn't shop during the clock you must of been the best employee ever!! Procedures?? that is even more funny corporate rules coming from people who have never worked the floor of a retail dept! ;)

I worked retail a couple of years as seasonal help and we always shopped on our breaks. We couldn't purchase until we punched out for the day, but we were allowed to hold our purchases at the customer service desk until the end of our shift. If it wasn't claimed by the end of the night, it went back to the floor.

My GREAT finds today were:

-Pair of boys jeans (Wrangler) for $3.98

-Pair of boys jeans (Cherokee) for $3.48

I have son who is just tearing through pants and jeans this year, so I am all about the deals :D

I'm so exhausted I didn't even go to Target. We went to get our Christmas tree this afternoon and drove by. There was a line of traffic trying to get up the ramp to the upper level of parking. The middle level was completely full and I am sure the bottom level was too. There was a line of cars coming off the upper level ramp too. Past the first weekend of the month of December, I try to steer clear of the store on the weekends unless I can go during the first hour they are open.

Any idea when the Dollar Spot will be marked down? My son will be having a Cars bday in Feb and they have some cute party favors right now.

probably not till the week after Christmas or just before Christmas. I seem to remember them putting out New Years stuff last year, so that would have needed to happen a little earlier than right after Christmas. But it might have been local since we are the Rose Parade city.