Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2007

1angelnhvn

I understand the schedule for markdowns in each dept....do they do markdowns every week in each department? How long is one particular item at say 30% off before it goes to 50% off? I have been watching a few things and they haven't changed price in at least a month, but other items started at 15% off (about 2 weeks ago) and now were at 50% off today.

Thanks for any info you can give me. Thank you everyone for all the great deals you share with all of us!!!

I understand the schedule for markdowns in each dept....do they do markdowns every week in each department? How long is one particular item at say 30% off before it goes to 50% off? I have been watching a few things and they haven't changed price in at least a month, but other items started at 15% off (about 2 weeks ago) and now were at 50% off today.

Thanks for any info you can give me. Thank you everyone for all the great deals you share with all of us!!!

Ahh...I can only tell you my own experience, and I would also love to hear what others think. Or if one of the Target employees on the list can tell us, that would be awesome! I have noticed that things that start out at only 15% off are things they think will usually sell with less of a discount - like electronics. Other things start at more like 30% off. I have noticed that food items, baby formula, electronics and some other expensive items tend to stay at the lower % off longer than other items. But I haven't figured out any hard and fast rule.

However, I find that very generally, things tend to stay at the mark down price for about 2 weeks before the next mark down. When things stay longer than 2 weeks and they aren't those high priced items, they tend to skip the interim markdown and go from say 30% straight to 75%. Or, if an item is not moving at all with the first markdown, it seems like they will sometimes skip an interim markdown. Finally, I think sometimes they are simply behind or have their reset or next round of merchandise that needs the space and they will mark down more quickly.

So, I guess the bottom line is to keep checking back. :-)

I didn't either!! I thought I must have missed it.

I didn't get them either. I scoured my paper looking for them. I didn't want to miss them!!

I was able to use 2 $3.00 and a BOGO coupon on the Luvs. I have done this deal several times and plan on doing it several more since they only stock a few packages at a time.

Happy Summer was 75% off, not much left though. Lots of flip flops, plastic cups, ice cream cups and 2 qt pitchers.

I stashed a pink fluffy bean bag, in hopes they go 50 or 75% off soon. I would love one for my daugher. But I don't want to pay $35.

Most everything else was 30%. A couple of clothes racks were 50%. Baby clothes were still 30 & 50%.

Just an FYI, but I am pretty sure that either this week or next will begin the big summer markdown of toys. In the last 2 years they did the 30% off at the end of June or first week of July. I don't think they'll wait because of the 4th of July being the normal markdown day, but I could be wrong. They usually finish the sale the last week of July or the first week of August. So, I would be on the look out.

Just an FYI, but I am pretty sure that either this week or next will begin the big summer markdown of toys. In the last 2 years they did the 30% off at the end of June or first week of July. I don't think they'll wait because of the 4th of July being the normal markdown day, but I could be wrong. They usually finish the sale the last week of July or the first week of August. So, I would be on the look out.

You might be right. The toy shelves were kinda bear today and I wondered if they had stopped rearranging because they were getting ready to mark down. I dont think they have received any new toys in awhile. Oh dear...HOLD ME BACK :lolrun::gdclap: :gdclap:

I don't think so! I doubt there will be any left at 75%.

Re: Happy Summer

(Hey there, everyone; I'm new to the site but a diehard Target clearance game addict!!)

Summer stuff DOES go 90% off (like Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, etc.) but only for 2 days. Then it will show on the scanner as $0.00 (meaning recently purged from the system - if you find an accomodating team member, they will look up the list price and sell it at that) and after that, it will show "Item Not Found." Sometimes they will sell INF items and sometimes they will not.

Usually by 90%, they have cleared out the seasonal aisles and reset them, so most items that you'll find at this point are mis-shelved with the regular items and you just need to look for the Happy Summer line tags. Seasonal stuff is an automatic markdown in the computer system so it won't have red tags; your best bet is just to scan it!

lovetoshopCA (have I seen you on another site, btw?? :razz:), denaults,and ManiacShopper, here's my experience with the markdown schedules:

Stuff that starts out at 15% off usually maxes out at 50% and doesn't go to 75% off. It's usually 15%-30%-50%. These things aren't marked down as regularly, I think, so it can go for over a month at the same clearance before being marked down again. I usually see these in the electronics department and food, likelovetoshopCA said.

Most clearance is 30%-50%-75%. I noticed about 3 weeks in between markdowns. They do mark down pretty much every week, unless it's a slow time of year like the last couple months have been. They do specific departments every day of the week, and don't mark down items in those departments until the day for which it's regularly scheduled.

Off the top of my head, according to the stuff that I personally find more interesting and compelling, electronics and furniture is Mondays, Domestics (Bedding, etc.) is Thursday, etc. I know there are schedules that you can find online. EVERY once in a while I have come across an 85% off item (a pillow sham once, and some electronics stuff). Usually it'll be marked further down because it's not selling well. I've also recently noticed (in the past year) that stuff will clearance out of one store but not out of another one, even just down the street, if it's not selling well. I noticed this with Simply Shabby Chic storage and organization stuff that was in the closet aisles. That stuff clearanced straight to 50% at one Target about a month and a half ago, whereas the other one 2 miles away still has it all, and for full price.

Sometimes you will see a longer clearance tag with the barcode printed on a strip of white across the middle of the tag. These are usually items that were ordered online and returned to the brick and mortar store, or else items found loooooong after they first clearanced out, or items returned from a different Target where they were a different price, or items (such as clothes) missing a part. These are totally hit or miss but are usually a pretty good deal.

Lastly, regarding the seasonal clearances, it used to be that the clearances were on set days (such as Dec. 26 for Christmas clearance) and followed a set sequence - 1 week at 50% off, then 3 days at 75%, two days at 90%, etc. Target has stopped following the schedule like that now, so clearances will vary widely from store to store. Especially, for seasonal stuff, the actual start date of the big seasonal clearance is all over the place. A lot more stuff is YMMV now.

I hope this helps!!

In the last few years I have found yard decorations like pinwheels (flowers)

that were also included in the Happy Summer markdown. They were near the

toy section.

Today I found boys colored T Shirts for 1.48 - I thought they would be nice for school.

lovetoshopCA (have I seen you on another site, btw?? :razz:), denaults,and ManiacShopper, here's my experience with the markdown schedules:

Lastly, regarding the seasonal clearances, it used to be that the clearances were on set days (such as Dec. 26 for Christmas clearance) and followed a set sequence - 1 week at 50% off, then 3 days at 75%, two days at 90%, etc. Target has stopped following the schedule like that now, so clearances will vary widely from store to store. Especially, for seasonal stuff, the actual start date of the big seasonal clearance is all over the place. A lot more stuff is YMMV now.

Nope, not me. This is my only place to hang out with the shopping crowd. Just too busy (or lazy) to jump around.

So, do you work for Target, or is this just your experience? We have a few employees in the group and no one has mentioned a change in the seasonal clearance schedule. So, I was just curious. They do Seasonal from corporate (meaning the girls with the red tags don't scan and label it all), so it is usually fairly standard.

saw alot of clothes marked down in the woman's department-picked up some tanks and tunic t-shirts for 2.48- also got archer salsa-24oz. for $1.24- a few of the summer placemats for .25- seemed like they were doing the markdowns on the women mostly-3 people working on it-

I hit the jackpot tonight!! I found 2 of the Grape MM juices!!! I feel fantastic about that LOL

My kids have summer band from 7-9 so I went to Target to waste some time and I got lucky!!

I also found some of the blue placemats and one of the Cars Color Wonder Packs, so it was a good time waster!!

I made a later than usual trip to one of our Super Targets and they had a 90% off sign hanging on the Happy Summer stuff, but it was still scanning at 75% off. There wasn't much left at all, but just as I was about to head to the registers a worker was moving a bunch of "put backs" around in a cart. He had all kinds of cute baskets with ginham print liners. So I asked if I could have them and he was more than thrilled. I told the gal at the register that the sign said 90%, but they were scanning 75%. She said no biggie, I'll just change the price. So, she takes 90% off of the 75% scanned price! Holy man, I got those cute baskets for like 37 cents (regular $15).

Anyway, I don't know if most places are set to go to 90% tomorrow and this particular Target just got their signs up early or what, but for those who are watching something in the Happy Summer dept, tomorrow might be a good day to head out.

Re: Happy Summer

(Hey there, everyone; I'm new to the site but a diehard Target clearance game addict!!)

Hi nattybananas and welcome!! Thanks so much for all your info. I'm sure it has taken you a few years to accumulate all this information and so, thanks for sharing. I wonder if you have seen the very first post on this thread. It is posted by GaterPam (I believe) and she too gives an explanation kinda of like what you did. So I wonder what you would think of her experience. Anyway, glad you've come on board. :gdwelcome:

I had a pretty good day at Target. The Happy Summer was 75% off but was moved to an endcap near housewares. There were lots of flip flops, margarita sets, pitchers, sets of plastic cups, placemant, and table cloths. I also found a junior 20 questions game marked down from $14.99 to 6.98 but got it for 3.74 and a double pack of Bratz dolls marked down from $9.99 to 6.98 but got it for 4.49.

I also noticed something different tonight. When I scanned the game and the Bratz dolls, they came up 0.00 and when I got to the register, they rang up at 0.00 but the cashier saw that and pressed another button and the last clearance price came up. I have never seen that happen before. Always before when something rang up 0.00, they had to call a manager over for a price but tonight the register did it and it rang up at the last clearance price. Has anyone else seen this happen before?

Not much left in the Happy Summer section at my store. A lady was there looking before I got there and she stood in front of the SMALL section forever. Not sure if she was sleeping standing up or what! There were only a few things and I mean few left! But what they had left even at 75% off wasn't worth the cost! So passed on that! I did manage to find FOUR packs of the mm grape juices! I was so excited!!!!! Like I won the lottery! Didn't find anything else but still a great day with the juice! :)

I also noticed something different tonight. When I scanned the game and the Bratz dolls, they came up 0.00 and when I got to the register, they rang up at 0.00 but the cashier saw that and pressed another button and the last clearance price came up. I have never seen that happen before. Always before when something rang up 0.00, they had to call a manager over for a price but tonight the register did it and it rang up at the last clearance price. Has anyone else seen this happen before?

Yes - I just had that happen to me on the NEMO storybook w/ plush toy last week. A few boxes were marked at 75% off, but damaged. The one in good condition I wanted was only marked 50% off. I scanned it, came up 0. So, I took one of the 75% offs w/ me to get that price & she did the same thing to get the most recent price to come up when it scanned 0. I thought it was odd too since I never saw that before.

Happy Summer is all gone here...I saw some plates that I think were part of it, but not much else, and certainly none of the good stuff...that's fine, that would've been more $$ for stuff I really don't "need."

I did get Downy for $2.44, which is 50% off, and Garniere Fructis shampoo for $1.44. I didn't look at too much because we were in a hurry, and I really just went in for wipes...

Happy Summer was 90% off here today in NC. Almost nothing left though, just one endcap. There were some of the placemats, insulated cups, and some kind of disposable grill. Nothing left that I wanted. Also checked the formula in the 20% more cans, and it is STILL at 15% off. I needed some, so I had to buy, but how much longer can this go before they reduce it again?? I have been to Target everyday for the last few weeks just to check! I guess that gives me a good excuse to go.