What to do when a store sends you upgraded merchandise by mistake?

tdanette

I would probably not say anything...is that wrong? I bought a game for my kids this weekend that they've been wanting...I had to wait until they weren't with me to get it. I didn't realize until I had already checked out that it rang up wrong...it was a $14 game and rang up for $3!!!!! Normally I would have gone right back and told them and paid the difference....I didn't this time...my conscience isn't eatting me up over it, but I'm still wondering if I should go back...

I guess I struggle with the 'right and wrong' of these situations...

sigh

The computer chair that I'm sitting in right now was supposed to be $110, but for some reason it rang up at $15.50 at the check-out. The clerk didn’t seem to realize the mistake when I bought it (though I certainly did) and I had no qualms about getting it for $15.50. So I handed him the cash and got out of the store as quickly as I could.

My conscience doesn't bother me at all over that. I went to the register willing to pay the full $110. It’s not like I did something to get it to ring up at the wrong price. I don’t think the kid ringing it up did anything wrong either. It appeared to be a glitch in the computer that caused it to ring up wrong.

Sometimes a retailer will ship out an upgraded an item if they run out of stock for something. That way, they can fill their orders without having to deal with angry customers. (To the contrary, they get customers who are thrilled.)

So maybe they ran out of the 128MB and started shipping out the 256MB product as a replacement. I'm even more convinced of this now that I went to their website and saw that this item is "temporarily not available online." Plus, that's the only iBratz item available on their website. And since they were kind to you, be sure to give them business in the future :)

I'm assuming you didn't have any rebates lined up for the item. If so, this could cause some problems for you.

Of course, there's always the possibility that you'll end up getting the item you actually ordered. Shipping notices have been wrong before.

Yesterday at Kmart I was purchasing the Fisher-Price Magnetic Easel

that I haven't been able to find anywhere! And the sign said 20% off!

When she rang it though it came up the regular price of $29.99, so I

said something and she got a flyer and went over to the service desk,

when she came back she voided it and then rang it in again with an

override price of $19.99! I could've easily said something but I didn't!

I'm horrible but X-Mas is killing me this year with two kids that know

everything (my DD was only 10 mo. last year!)!

I guess I am different than most of the posters. I would say something, but that's me. Afterall, when it rings up for more than it was listed, I make sure they correct it and I receive my item for the correct price.

As an aside, they probably did just send out an upgraded product because they were out of stock. The difference in cost between the two for the store is probably small. If it helps you sleep at night, just call.

i went in the other day to buy a new ford mustang and instead the salesman brought out a porsche carrera and gave me the papers and the keys and as i got into to that sensual leather cockpit, i thought to myself, 'hey, dood, you just paid $38,750 for a $108.000 car. should i take it back. i know the poor, honest salesman will probably fired at his ford=porsche dealership. i had qualms about honesty and integrity ----------------for anout two seconds. s**T what a deal!!!!!! I hope everyone i ageesw with me that i kept.

I guess I am different than most of the posters. I would say something, but that's me. Afterall, when it rings up for more than it was listed, I make sure they correct it and I receive my item for the correct price.

As an aside, they probably did just send out an upgraded product because they were out of stock. The difference in cost between the two for the store is probably small. If it helps you sleep at night, just call.

It's called a conscience and congrats, you've got one.

Our membership seems to be dwindling.

I was at TRU last week buying a grab bag gift for school. The gift was marked at 6.98 it rang at 1.40 I told the cashier I will be back ran and got the other 3 off the shelf purchased them and donated them to toys 4 tots. So maybe if you are feeling guilty you could figure the price differance and donate it that way someone who really needs it gets it not the CEO of TRU.

It's called a conscience and congrats, you've got one.

Our membership seems to be dwindling.

I have to say I agree. I used to work in retail. Pricing errors like this happen from time. Trust me they are discussed at length in Loss Prevention meetings. Most of the money a store loses is not from theft, but from pricing errors. Bottom line ... it's us the consumers that pay the price in the long run, even though there is not much we, as consumers, can do to prevent it. Even if you were to tell them something rang up too little, they are probably still going to let you have the item. BUT ... you told them and put the ball back in their court.

Now, on the other hand, I don't think this product upgrade is going to put TRU out of business. BUT ... it bothers me when people ask these types of "what should I do ?" questions on forums like this. It obviously bothered you at least a little bit ... right ? If there is a clear conscience about something, then it would seem like there would be more of a "bragging" post ... like "woohooo, guess what I got". Perhaps that makes no sense, and perhaps I am in the minority. And in no way am I trying to bash anyone. Just offering my humble opinion.

So, what would it hurt to notify them you got an upgraded item ? They probably did just send you that one because they were out of the item. If the person you contact can't give you an answer, etc. then the ball is in their court. YOU didn't do anything wrong and they probably did not either. But at least you can say you notified them and then your conscience can be clear.

Ok, I want to be devils advocate again. This isnt' direct towards any one person. :no: Just keeping the debate going ....

I noticed many posts on another thread regarding people "taking advantage" of the free Fandango movie tickets, and others got none. Some of these comments were made by posters on this thread who think you should not say anything.

How is getting something that you didn't order or getting a cheaper deal, etc. (or whatever the case is) and NOT SAYING ANYTHING, any different than taking advantage of the situation ?

i went in the other day to buy a new ford mustang and instead the salesman brought out a porsche carrera and gave me the papers and the keys and as i got into to that sensual leather cockpit, i thought to myself, 'hey, dood, you just paid $38,750 for a $108.000 car. should i take it back. i know the poor, honest salesman will probably fired at his ford=porsche dealership. i had qualms about honesty and integrity ----------------for anout two seconds. s**T what a deal!!!!!! I hope everyone i ageesw with me that i kept.

I couldn't live with myself for causing someone to lose their job, especially around the holidays. And how did the paperwork match up?

If you feel guilty about it, I would call and tell them that you ordered this but they are sending this and you want ot make sure it wasn't a mistake blah blah blah...More than likely they will say it was a mistake and you can keep it or it wasn't a mistake and we were just out of the 128. Either way you win...I highly doubt they would say Oh let me change that back to the 128...But it also depends on how guilty you feel...I personally would call to make myself feel better about the situation....

I used to work at TRU and I know that if something rings up

at a price that is lower than you thought it is most likely marked

down and just didn't have a sticker on it. This has happened to

me at various stores. If it is a computer error, there is nothing

you can do anyway! There is no way if you said something that

they would mark it up just for you! I've also had alot of cases of

someone didn't take down the sale sign when the sale was over

and they have to give it to you for that price. Trust me, if any

of this happens to you be happy! It's there fault and usually

employee screw up!

Ok, I want to be devils advocate again. This isnt' direct towards any one person. :no: Just keeping the debate going ....

I noticed many posts on another thread regarding people "taking advantage" of the free Fandango movie tickets, and others got none. Some of these comments were made by posters on this thread who think you should not say anything.

How is getting something that you didn't order or getting a cheaper deal, etc. (or whatever the case is) and NOT SAYING ANYTHING, any different than taking advantage of the situation ?

It’s not our responsibility to make sure that a store charges us what they want to charge us. If they can’t get their act together, that’s their problem.

In a post above, I mentioned an incident where I got a chair that was listed at $110 for only $15.50. I didn’t have a problem morally with getting the chair for that price because I arrived at that situation through no treachery on my part. There was a computer error in the register. I don’t feel that it’s my duty to make sure that a store charges me the correct amount. Therefore, my conscience is perfectly clear on that matter.

However, another recent incident left me feeling differently. It was a few days before Thanksgiving and I was at the supermarket picking up a few things for the coming meal. While I was at the checkout I unloaded the items from my cart, but I apparently missed one thing. It was a small container of sage. It wasn’t intentional on my part, but I ended up walking out of the store without paying for it.

When, I was loading stuff into my car I saw it there and assumed that it had fallen out of a bag, so I threw it into one of the bags. While driving home though, it started to nag at me as to how it could have fallen out of one of the bags like that. So when I got home, I checked the receipt. When I didn’t find it on the receipt, I realized what must have happened. I immediately started feeling guilty over it. Even though it wasn’t intentional.

So I went back down to the store and spoke to the manager about it. I apologized to him and assured him that it was just an error and that I was gonna pay for it now. He was very polite, but he seemed a little bit stunned that I bothered to come back in and pay for it and even more so that I was apologizing to him for it. But it was something that I had to do. Unlike the incident with the chair, this was a mistake that was my fault.

As I said above, it’s not my responsibility to make sure that they charge me as much as they would like to charge for an item. But if somehow I end up getting something for the incorrect amount as a result of an error on my part, then I would feel morally obligated to correct the matter.

Well, before we get into the whole conscience issue, plain and simple the person packing your items made a mistake. You ordered something OL, and they sent you the wrong item. How is that your fault?

Now, if I am in a B&M store, and I see a blatant mistake, I will say/do something. If I get overcharged, undercharged (hasn't happened yet) and esp correct change, I speak up. Because honestly, the extra $2 the cashier gives me by mistake is not worth them loosing their job over because their till is under.

And hey, there is no way my DH would EVER contact buy.com to tell them the mistake they made with us. They sent us a PSP bundle package last year by mistake when I had ordered a PS2 wireless controller for my DH. Had no idea of the mistake until I was wrapping the package Christmas Eve. And I feel I am a very honest person and I don't feel the least bit bad about it.

Consider it a little extra bonus this season, and to offset your kharma, do a nice deed for someone this holiday season! :)