Purchasing Gift Cards

This may or may not be true. I did NOT check it out on Snopes. BUT, even it is not a "true" email, it's definately worth thinking about ....

Well the crooks have found a way to rob you of your gift card balance. If you buy Gift Cards from a display rack that has various store cards you may become a victim of theft. Crooks are now jotting down the card numbers in the store and then wait a few days and call to see how much of a balance THEY have on the card. Once they find the card is "activated", and then they go online and start shopping.

You may want to purchase your card from a customer service person, where they do not have the Gift Cards viewable to the public.

Guest spectraflamed
This has been going on for a long time. Only buy cards that are behind the counter and even this is no guarentee you will not get ripped off since employees also do this scam. The reason stores do not want this out is because gift cards are a totally great deal for retailers. They get people in the store and those people often spend more than the gift card since rarely a bill is exactly $25/$50 etc... (if a person uses less than the gift card the store still keeps the balance), the store gets its money upfront and lastly MANY gift cards go unused. MAny millions of dollars of gift cards went "unclaimed" last year. I was a huge gift card fan when they first started appearing in masse but now rarely go that route. They are so impersonal and seem like the kind of thing where someone feels they have to get a gift for someone and want an easy way out. If like myself you family is spread all over the place just send money to someone (spouse, kid etc...) that lives near the person you want to get a gift for and have them buy it. Often people love to shop for loved ones and you avoid having to wrap and mail (which is often a big expense) and the gift is much more personal.

This has been going on for a long time. Only buy cards that are behind the counter and even this is no guarentee you will not get ripped off since employees also do this scam. The reason stores do not want this out is because gift cards are a totally great deal for retailers. They get people in the store and those people often spend more than the gift card since rarely a bill is exactly $25/$50 etc... (if a person uses less than the gift card the store still keeps the balance), the store gets its money upfront and lastly MANY gift cards go unused. MAny millions of dollars of gift cards went "unclaimed" last year. I was a huge gift card fan when they first started appearing in masse but now rarely go that route. They are so impersonal and seem like the kind of thing where someone feels they have to get a gift for someone and want an easy way out. If like myself you family is spread all over the place just send money to someone (spouse, kid etc...) that lives near the person you want to get a gift for and have them buy it. Often people love to shop for loved ones and you avoid having to wrap and mail (which is often a big expense) and the gift is much more personal.

Gift cards aren't always impersonal and not just an easy way out. Teenagers can be impossible to buy for even for parents and gift cards let them pick out their own gifts. Younger kids think that they're "cool" and love getting "credit cards". Gift cards to restaurants can make a nice gift so that someone can enjoy a meal out without having to pay for it, especially for people that like going out to eat. I would appreciate being able to pick out my own present and wouldn't mind getting exactly what I wanted.

I have to agree...I don't think gift cards are impersonal. I love receiving gift cards! Heck, I'd often rather receive a gift card than anything else. My hubby and I got to go out to dinner many times this year because of gift cards. We would not have otherwise been able to afford those dinners. I'd much rather get to spend a romantic evening going out to dinner with him than to receive a candle or a shirt that I don't care for and I end up returning.

However, that being said...there is one thing I don't like about giving gift cards...I don't like the recipient knowing how much I spent!

Michelle

I have to agree...I don't think gift cards are impersonal. I love receiving gift cards! Heck, I'd often rather receive a gift card than anything else. My hubby and I got to go out to dinner many times this year because of gift cards. We would not have otherwise been able to afford those dinners. I'd much rather get to spend a romantic evening going out to dinner with him than to receive a candle or a shirt that I don't care for and I end up returning.

I agree!!

I wonder if something like this isn't happening to the tracfone cards. Last time I was putting in more time it kept coming back that the pin had already been used but I knew I had just bought the card and the time wasn't added to my phone. After talking to several people and finally speaking with a supervisor I got the time added to my phone and she made some remark that this situation happens. If you were a crook I don't see why you couldn't keep trying by putting in random numbers until one is accepted and the crooks would have studied previously used cards to see a pattern.

Guest spectraflamed
Wow since people seemed to jump on my "impersonal" statement. Why not just send cash or a check? It is more secure, lets the reciever choose exactly how they want to spend the money instead of a place you have choosen and you do not have the hassle of having to go out or order online the gift card. I really do not care one way or the other what people do but once I thought through the gift card thing I just do not get it.

with the whole gift card scam you have to also remember that most cards have 2 sets of #s, and the second set has to be scratched off , and thats how you get the balance. so common sense being if you see the second set of #s is scratched off the dont buy that one. I guess some people might not notice that.

I feel weird when I buy a gift card for someone, but I have in the past when I was really lost as to what to get. I went to a baby shower a few months ago where the mom-to-be didn't want to know the gender and had already had a child. I decided a gift card (to Walmart) was the best thing in that case because she had just mentioned wanting diapers and some white t-shirts, and I figured some of the other guests would cover that.

My son's teacher and aide are each getting a gift card too because while I want to get them something from my son, I do not know what they like enough to get an actual gift.

Even if it seems impersonal, for some people it is the best option. I'd rather people get a gift they can use and enjoy. If they have to do the shopping themselves for that to happen, that's fine by me. I personally love gift cards. I think those ones that can be used at any store in a mall are great!

I never thought to look at the back of them when I buy them, so I will be sure to check that out next time. Thanks to the OP for letting us know!

Wow since people seemed to jump on my "impersonal" statement. Why not just send cash or a check? It is more secure, lets the reciever choose exactly how they want to spend the money instead of a place you have choosen and you do not have the hassle of having to go out or order online the gift card. I really do not care one way or the other what people do but once I thought through the gift card thing I just do not get it.

Hi Spectraflamed,

I apologize if I sounded like I was jumping on you...it wasn't meant that way (that's the one thing I hate about the internet..you can't hear tone of voice when you read what someone has typed). Please don't be offended. I totally agree with you on giving a check, too instead of a gift card and I often do that. I have a nephew that is very special to me and he had moved to Arizona for schooling (I live in Indiana). He's coming home for Christmas and I wanted to get him a nice present but he will have very limited space to carry things when he returns to Arizona. He's not much of a shopper and the gas card I wanted to get him doesn't work where he lives (he doesn't have the same gas stations that we do)....so as you suggested, he's getting a check!

Once again, I apolgize if I sounded like I was jumping on you. Also, I should have stated in my original reply: Thanks for the warning about people stealing the numbers! Would have never occurred to me that people could do this! I will now make sure I get cards from behind the counter where people can't see them!

Michelle

The only problem with gift cards I can find is that if you don't use them, some places will charge you a fee every month after a certain time.

My daughter received a $30 mall gift card for Christmas last year, forgot about it, and didn't use it until about 9 months later. When she went to the checkout, there was only $25 on it. It wasn't until afterward did we read the fine print and see the monthly service charge after 6 months. What a rip off!!

We are the favorite Aunt and Uncle in the family because we get the Simon Visa Cards for everyone. They love them because they can buy what they did not get for Christmas, themselves and ANYWHERE that accets Visa. They think it is the best. Every year we give them the choice if they would like to give us a list to pick from or get the credit card and guess what they pick?? LOL! I know you run the risk anywhere, just like the idiots here that got picked up for stealing mail out of boxes and commiting identity theft or the waiters and waitresses that were caught stealing information off of customers. Just be careful no matter what you pick. Good luck all!

Guest spectraflamed

Hi Spectraflamed,

I apologize if I sounded like I was jumping on you...it wasn't meant that way (that's the one thing I hate about the internet..you can't hear tone of voice when you read what someone has typed). Please don't be offended. I totally agree with you on giving a check, too instead of a gift card and I often do that. I have a nephew that is very special to me and he had moved to Arizona for schooling (I live in Indiana). He's coming home for Christmas and I wanted to get him a nice present but he will have very limited space to carry things when he returns to Arizona. He's not much of a shopper and the gas card I wanted to get him doesn't work where he lives (he doesn't have the same gas stations that we do)....so as you suggested, he's getting a check!

Once again, I apolgize if I sounded like I was jumping on you. Also, I should have stated in my original reply: Thanks for the warning about people stealing the numbers! Would have never occurred to me that people could do this! I will now make sure I get cards from behind the counter where people can't see them!

Michelle

No big deal I still do not get the whole gift card thing once I thought it out. I used to buy gift cards but now realize the cash/check is way easier, secure, less limiting on the reciever and there is no chance there will be fees on it (as previously mentioned) or no chance it will not be used. I hardly think anyone will stick a $50 dollar bill in thier pocket and forget about it for 6 months. Also if you are worried that someone might get a check from you and sit on it for awhile and screw up your checkbook balance (yes I am type A) 99% of banks give money orders for free if you have an account with them. Use a money order and your checkbook will not get screwed up if the reciever does not cash it for 6 months.

I heard about this last night on the local news, and man some people just suck. I mean how crappy, that people like us work hard and save up that money and spend it to get people a giftcard to somewhere nice that we know they will love and then lazy, dishonest jerks go and steal that away from you and that person. It truly just makes me sad. Plus now I am super paranoid about this whole giftcard scam.

I had decided a few weeks ago to every time i was at a store someone in my family liked i was going to get them a $5 giftcard to that place and then put them all in their stockings. I mean after about a month of $5 giftcards, it adds up so i thought that would be cool for them, plus it's not eating a huge chunk out of my money all at once. But, like tonight, i went to Target and got this really cute giftcard, made out of like rubber or something, shaped like a video game controller, for my brother and had $5 dollars put on it, then i remembered the scam and now I'm totally worried about it. I hate that.

And just to weigh in on the giftcard vs. actual money thing, i have to go with giftcards, because yes money is great to get, but then i think the whole point of giving giftcards, for me anyway is that i know this person loves that store and will find something there that they will like. If i were given money i would love it, but then i would probably end up spending it on necessities like gas, or using it to pay a part of a bill or something, which is no fun at all, whereas with a giftcard, i can go and buy a purse, shirt, or gadget and feel good. Just an opinion though, money, giftcards, it's all good.

I dislike giftcards for several reasons.

1) a person knows exactly how much you spent, so these great deals we're spending hours searching for on here become obsolete.

2) there is nothing to unwrap, and I think christmas presents DESERVE unwrapping

3) There is no 'here and now' it's always 'there and later'

4) I am one that forgets about them, or I hate to use them when I make other purchases. That just makes it feel like I paid for it.

5) You always have to spend a little more or a little less. You don't know how many I have with a few cents to a couple of dollars on them. All for places that I never go to.

I do like restaurant ones, they are great for newlyweds, or even baby shower gifts. I have seen at WM that you can buy them with several different restaurants on the same one, so you have some options.

Oh, and I'd definitely use Dollar Tree ones, can't go wrong there!

The whole scam this is horrible. I know I won't be buying gift cards anymore.

My problem with receiving gift cards is 1) you don't really get to unwrap anything - yes I'm still a kid at heart and 2) you can get ones to a store you never go to.

Last year my aunt and uncle gave me one to old navy. The only thing I own from Old Navy is a scarf, nothing else. So I was a bit upset that they couldn't even take the time to ask or figure out which stores I frequent. I ended up using the gift card to buy a present for someone else :rolleyes:

I like recieving GC's a lot. I'm sometimes too responsible, so if someone gives me a check it usually ends up going to bills intend of something nice like it was intended to be. My mom used to give me cash every Christmas so I would spend more on people before Christmas because I knew I could pay it off with her gift. It's weird. Though, a GC prevents that and allows me to go out and have a good time for myself carefree.

I send gift cards to those that I would be mailing a gift to otherwise. With the high cost of shipping, it's much more economical for me to send it with their Christmas card. The only exception is my sister's family, because if they knew what I actually spent on all their gifts, they'd be appalled that is was so cheap. But I just can't afford to spend more $$$ on her family than I would my own children.

Anyway, gift cards have their place.

The problem is grandma keeps sending my 12 and 14 yr old gc's to TRU! They are beyond toys. I give the kids cash for them and save the gc's for others'gifts during the year.....

I had heard about this gift card scam on another website - and like a previous poster said, those people who steal this info suck!

I like gift cards, only for the fact that if I get money, more times than not I'll spend it on a bill or what not. If I get a gift card, at least I know that I have to buy something for myself. My dad and step mom give my husband and I a gift card from Walmart/Sam's every year. Granted, we use it to buy some necessities, but we consider that "free" money, so it's not budgeted and we can buy extra stuff that we want, not stuff that we need.

Just recently I got in on the Buick OnStar test drive promotion (do a test drive, get a $50 AMEX), and I was able to buy 3 gifts with it. Granted, 2 of them were gift cards - how ironic, right?

With the cost of shipping, gifts are getting harder to give if your family is far apart. Lots of people don't like the fact that you can't "unwrap" a gift card. That may be so, but just think of the wasted paper and trash you don't have to clean up afterwards. lol!

This story made our news today as well with the following advice. Make sure to keep your giftcard receipt. Whoever is stealing the gift card from you will have to order online and they have to have it sent somewhere. The retailers are saying they are trying to put an end to this. But - I also heard that their employees can pull this same thing if they decide to keep the gift cards behind the registers.

A friend of mine bought 2 WM gift cards; both for $50. The cashier acted like the strip on the back was bad on both of them; said that it would not load the $$ when she swiped them. She threw them in the trash can behind the register and swiped 2 others and said they were good swipes. Well......the first cards she swiped WERE good and she retrieved them out of the trash can a little later and spent them. Since he remembered who the cashier was he was able to tell management (after he realized of course that the cards he was given had no $$ loaded on them.) Not sure what happened to the cashier. Point is, be VERY careful if the cashier throws a gift card away and then says he/she is "loading" a second one because the first did not work. I never would have thought........just so sad.