Dont waste time in Comp USA

icemonkey

Due to very bad experiences in the past, please dont waste your time here.Please go to a better place-BB, CC OD, OM etc

I must ask, what is your reasoning? Is there a particular incident/problem you had with them. We need more details so that each of us can form our own personal opinion.

BTW, :gdwelcome: to GottaDeal!

I have had good experiences in the past at Compusa.

The most specific that isn't Black Friday related, but was close to it took place back in 1998. Let's all enter the Wayback machine for a minute.

I had visited my parents for a week and after 3 or 4 days I was ready to snap and go on a murderous rampage. I informed them I had to leave or we would all be on the evening news. I hit the road and got home around 3pm on a Saturday (or Friday, who knows, its been 6 years).

I grabbed the local paper and saw that CompUsa was having a midnight madness sale. The main sale item was a $98 computer to celebrate the release of Windows 98. I drove down to the closest CompUsa and arrived around 6PM. There were already 6 people hanging out. I walked up to them and asked what they were waiting for; they all said the $98 computer.

Needless to say, I became person number 7. Thank goodness it was summertime and everyone was friendly. I learned how to play backgammon while waiting 6 hours.

I walked out of CompUsa at 12:15AM with a brand new computer for $98 - which was beyond dirt cheap in 1998. That computer lasted me a good 4 or 5 years. My next computer was the first EMachines that was offered for free if you signed up for 3 years of internet through MSN.

Ah, the good old days - well CompUsa at least.

Go Steelers.

Due to very bad experiences in the past, please dont waste your time here.Please go to a better place-BB, CC OD, OM etc

sounds like a personal problem. last year i was 3rd in line for the midnight madness sale. it was indeed madness and i felt bad for anyone beyond 20th in line, but there were some great deals and i had quite a few of them.

though the real deal of the evening was the AOL stuff, but at the time I didn't fully grasp what it was all about and how to capitolize on it until it was too late as usual.

it was indeed madness and i felt bad for anyone beyond 20th in line

That's odd. at my CompUSA, they cracked the security gate open and let only a few people in at a time. Since I was just about the millionth in line, I got to witness it. They waited for people to leave before letting more in, so they apparently kept a consistent number of people in the store at all times. By 2:00 or so, they had the line gone and the doors wide open.

i dont think there is a comp usa here. but i would not,not(i know ...i know..double negitive) go somewhere because someone told me not to whop i dont even know and they didnt even say why ..so we need more detail to even consider this thought. however i do think it might have been a personal experience that hurt you or your feelings...it seems like many like it there.

Well, if you are going to post something like this, you need to explain WHY.

Since you're not going to be at CompUSA, that'll mean everyoen at your store will be one spot closer to the fornt.....Thanks....

Keep in mind that, as with all retail, it really depends on the supervisors and what type of people they hire. I personally would rather deal with CompUSA than any of the other electronic stores. The people at CompUSA (mine at least) actually know something about electronics. If I go to BB or Circuit City they have employees who don't know what their talking about and really don't want to help (Circuit City is the worst in my area). Even the supervisors at CompUSA help the customers if they see someone looking for something. I am well pleased with my CompUSA and will go there everytime unless there is a significant price difference between sales....Yes, I was at CompUSA last year on BF and the manager spent 20 minutes looking for a bluetooth headset that was on sale. When he couldn't find one, he offered me a rain check (very unusual, as you know, on BF). This is a manager who wants people to shop there in the future. You know what...since then, if I need something , I always check CompUSA first and have always had good customer service. Just my experience.

For the last two years, CompUSA has been BY FAR the best BF stop for the stuff I'm interested in. After seeing the BB and CC ads, I'd be surprised if CUSA doesn't make it 3 years in a row.

The other interesting thing about CUSA is that they actually can have some incredible deals at times other than BF. I got some fantastic deals in the week or two leading up to BF last year, and even as late as March they were having BF-comparable deals still (on LCD TVs and Seagate hard drives mainly). I remember they had 3 separate opportunities (one of them BF) to pick up a 200GB hard drive for $30AR. I have not seen any price/GB that low since.

Hopefully we'll start to see some of their pre-BF deals starting soon.

For the last two years, CompUSA has been BY FAR the best BF stop for the stuff I'm interested in. After seeing the BB and CC ads, I'd be surprised if CUSA doesn't make it 3 years in a row.

The other interesting thing about CUSA is that they actually can have some incredible deals at times other than BF. I got some fantastic deals in the week or two leading up to BF last year, and even as late as March they were having BF-comparable deals still (on LCD TVs and Seagate hard drives mainly). I remember they had 3 separate opportunities (one of them BF) to pick up a 200GB hard drive for $30AR. I have not seen any price/GB that low since.

Hopefully we'll start to see some of their pre-BF deals starting soon.

I usually see the cheap hard drives and dvd writers at Staples or Office Depot. I am looking a Pre-N or N wireless router bundle with notebook card, but BB's deal may just have to do.

I bought a desktop computer there for the St. Patty's day midnight sale. It's been a great computer and I did receive all my rebates in a timely manner. I did attempt to go last Thanksgiving evening and the lines were very long, I ended up going home, but I am sure some got the deals they were offering. The only problem I ever have going there (just for basic stuff) is getting someone to wait on me, once I get assistance it's been an ok experience.

Have you EVER got a rebate cheque from Comp USA unless you call them repeatedly?

Please see my thread in the 2005 section- The whole fiasco is in there!

My strong advise is Go to a better place BB,CC etc

Ever since they went to the eRebates website, I haven't had any problem. In fact they are now one of the best at getting me my rebates. But I do remember how it used to be... :yup:

i am close to both comp USA and best buy- i stopped purchasing ANYTHING from them when they instituted there anti-friendly return policy- I do however price shop them, and price match with both walmart and circuit city- both have(IMO)better return policy-

That's odd. at my CompUSA, they cracked the security gate open and let only a few people in at a time. Since I was just about the millionth in line, I got to witness it. They waited for people to leave before letting more in, so they apparently kept a consistent number of people in the store at all times. By 2:00 or so, they had the line gone and the doors wide open.

Wow. Which heaven did your CompUSA fall out of? I'm pretty sure at the CompUSA here, not a single employee was even outside. They just opened the doors at midnight and it was a free-for-all, including the 50 or so people that jumped out of their cars at 11:59 PM. Inside, once again, I don't think there was any sort of management or supervision overlooking anything. It was basically "form your own 200-person lines any way you want. We don't care what you do."

Well said MarkRaby!

I hope some guys here dont work for CompUSA

Myself and 5 of my friends went to CompUSA last year, I was No 1 in the queue.I dont have the time to type what exactly happened because it is a long story but the bottom line is that all of us who were standing there since 11 came back home the next day empty handed.Some guys who bought small items like router never got their rebates back!

Three years ago I got in line at (I think) 3 am for a 6:00 opening for a Toshiba laptop. When they passed out vouchers I had number 3 out of 10. They also had a deal that you could buy other items free after rebate if you bought a laptop or desktop over a certain amount. Since I actually paid more than this amount (before rebate) I qualified. When I entered the store at opening one of the employees took my voucher, got the laptop then located all the other items I wanted (they were scattered around the store). It made for a pleasant shopping experience.

I'd like to see their ad for this year.

So many rebates.. that they have deluded themselves into believing this is the best course of action in order to remain competitive. If you guys remember, this is nothing new to Compusa.

AOL still looms large in my mind. The absolute worst sponsor to ever clog up the internet. Btw, AOL had a large call center here that may very well have been affected by all of those cancellations after you got their sponsored computers. A massive layoff ensued here....:D

So many rebates.. that they have deluded themselves into believing this is the best course of action in order to remain competitive.

Well, I'm still convinced that overall rebates are still the best way to have the lowest overall prices (for those who don't mind them in reasonable amounts). The problem with CompUSA this year is that 1) they always have that one sponsor per BF who skews their advertised prices and 2) even with the rebates, the prices still aren't that great.

To CUSA's credit aside from the Razr deal, most of the rebates do seem to be erebates, which are incredibly convenient and, in my experience, pretty fast. Circuit City's ad this year was completely ridiculous on the rebates: all mail in, usually 2 or more, and usually for 200% or more of the advertised price.