keeping warm...

Guest kathybmb

Guest kathybmb
What are your tricks for staying warm? last yr my daughter brought along this hand warmer packets to slip in your gloves..they really did help.. my niece slipped one under her toes in her becaue she neglected to wear socks with her loafers..it was her first time out. i plan on getting those this yr for sure.

We live in a small town and if we are at Sears or Shopko, we all kind of sit in our cars and keep giving each other looks about not getting out, its Minnesota for crying out loud, we want to stay warm! So, we all sit in our cars until some yahoo comes tearing into the parking lot, sees the 10 or so cars in the parking lot and goes running up to the door to be first in line. It always starts the lining up frenzy... After that its just hats, gloves and moving around, lol. The handwarmers sound like a good idea though!!!

In Alabama it rarely gets all that cold in November-usually in the 30's or so early in the morning and in the 50's and 60's by noon. We just bundle up in layers so we won't get too hot once we get inside. I'm sure drinking a warm beverage would also help,though.

In Alabama it rarely gets all that cold in November-usually in the 30's or so early in the morning and in the 50's and 60's by noon. We just bundle up in layers so we won't get too hot once we get inside. I'm sure drinking a warm beverage would also help,though.

That is until that warm beverage hits your bladder and you realise its another 5 hours before you can use the restroom.:eek:

Luckily it's never been very cold on BF here in NC (watch me eat those words this year) but there are some good ideas here. I think I'd sit in the car too until I saw someone else pulling up then hussle to the door. Not sure if i could do the blakets and all- doesn't that slow you down? :D

A good, quality balaclava can do wonders.

Long underwear, thermal boot socks and good gloves as well are pretty much essential. I'd definetly recommend the higher quality, moisture wicking kind on all fronts. Throw some of those "hot hands" heatpacks in your gloves and boots too.

Remember to layer, that way you can strip down once in the store. And remember, when buying thermal, cold weather clothes, you get what you pay for.

When you guys bring all this stuff with you, where do you put it before you go into the store? Do you run and put it in your car or something? I can't imagine taking so much stuff, it seems like it'd make things more complicated.

I got my ticket for the laptop and put the stuff in the car and got back in line. Really simple.

A tent plain and simple, it takes away the wind and you can put all your blankets in there and everything. It kicks so much ass you have no idea.

What happens to your tent when the doors open? Isn't it kind of big to lug around in the store with you? Plus the time it takes to take it down? Just curious, it does sound like a good idea.

Ear warmers with hats over, hand warmers with big gloves, layered shirts, layered pants, layered socks, foot warmers, and fur-lined boot houseshoes. Last year since we lined up at WM at 10:00 pm, we brought the camper for potty breaks and hot coffee or cocoa. We sat in camper chairs with sleeping bags layered around us, and one of us put everything in the camper about 15 minutes before the doors opened. With all the sock layers, I had to wear Dh's fur lined houseshoes, and had to run all the way to the electronics department in them. I was second in line, got ticket number 6, so they only slowed me down slightly.:D

What happens to your tent when the doors open? Isn't it kind of big to lug around in the store with you? Plus the time it takes to take it down? Just curious, it does sound like a good idea.

Once you get the ticket about 20 minutes before they open the doors go and put it away. Not sure how it would work at a Walmart but it will work just fine at BB and CC.

People brought tents with propane heaters and lots of blankets. You should have more than one person there to put the stuff away in your vehicle before the doors open. I sat in line and had a bunch of folks helping each other out with heat and blankets. They also rotated each other to the cars for the heater and also restroom breaks at the local Dunkin Donuts. One of the best tricks I had seen was there were about 10 people who just lined up along the side of the building where the ledge was at, covered end to end with their blankets, keeping each end over the other, and they used a small propane heater underneath the blanket to keep everyone warm for the whole night. It was a great idea and kept them warm.

I had 4 pairs of socks on, thermals, running tights, turtleneck and sweatshirts along with my heaviest winter jacket along with 2 blankets. I was great until about an hour before they opened, and my feet were really starting to get cold. I was in line at BB at 10:30, so I was so close to making it without any major issues. My feet took a while to recover the next day.

I spent the last 5 BFs in Hawaii...so it was never an issue. Now I'm in GA....I have no idea how cold it will get here.

I am in GA as well. Last year I had on a jogging outfit, tennis shoes with thick socks, and a jacket. I saw some people with hats, gloves, etc, and from the looks they had been waiting for a while.

I didn't leave home until after 4AM so I think I missed most of the early morning chill.

Guest buddy72192
I just get there 2 minutes before it opens. Then push every one aside til I get to the front!. One year it didn't work cause this Huge black guy blocked me.