Do you cook Thanksgiving Dinner?

momof5plus1hubby

Thankfully I do not have to cook by myself... That would be a total disaster. lol Instead my mother does the majority of the cooking and my sister and I help.

Here is out menu (everything homemade) :

Smoked Turkey (25-30 lbs)

Smoked Ham (10-15 lbs)

Mashed Potatoes (normally 10lbs)

Gravy

Mac & Cheese

Squash Casserole

Rolls

Butter Beans

Collards or Turnips

Dressing

Lemon Pie

Choc. Pie

Pecan Pie

At least one Van. cake

At least one Choc. Cake

Sweet Potato Pie

We have at least 8 and maybe 10 people over for dinner; however, as you can see the only way my mom knows how to cook is for an army!

I love to cook (yes, I'm a guy and love to cook), Mom loves to cook, My 2 sisters love to cook.

We make it a family affair. I cook the Turkey, stuffing, Gravy, French Onion soup, and one of the desserts. Mom makes some of the sides (GB cassarole, rolls, creamed onions, cranberry sauce), Sisters make other sides, salad, mashed potateos, and other desserts.

Turkey and stuffing - I use my BBQ Grill.....Yes, my BBQ grill. When the turley is ready (stuffed, seasoned, etc...) put it into a aluminum roasting pan with some liquid in the botton (enough to cover the bottom of the pan). Cover with foil. Heat BBQ to 325-350 degrees (I use 2 or 3 thermometers). Put the pan on the BBQ other than checking the temp leave it alone for 1 hour (keep covered with foil). Then baste every 30 minutes till about 2/3 of the way done, then remove foil cover and allow skin to brown and get crisp...Keep basting. When done, remove from grill and pull turkey from pan. Cover with several towels and sit for 20-25 minutes. Don't worry the towels will keep it warm. If done right you can almost debone the Turkey while carving it. it's moist and tender and you can still use your oven for the other things.

Uhmmmm, what time is dinner?? I can be there a little early and help set the table. :D

We have to travel, so I don't do the cooking. One year, though, I did host for the in-laws (7 people total). Luckily, it was the day after T-giving and we spent T-giving day at my parents' house. I didn't realize that it took a long time for the turkey to thaw, and mine was still in the freezer, so my mother gave me all the leftover turkey to take home for my dinner!

Uhmmmm, what time is dinner?? I can be there a little early and help set the table. :D

LOL. I think I've got enough people coming over this year.

Me and wife

Mom and dad

Sister and her hubby

Nephew and his girlfriend

Aunt and guest

Father-in-law

And possibly my other sister (from out of town) and her hubby

yes we have the family over to our house for Thanksgiving and then we draw names that night for the gift exchange.

We have...........

turkey

ham

mashed taters

stuffing

hashbrown cassarole

greenbeen cassarole

rolls

veggie tray

and lots of desserts.

Sorry for the stupid foreigner questions, but... What kind of ham is that? Not the regular one, we put in the sandwich, right? And... what's "hashbrown"?

Sorry for the stupid foreigner questions, but... What kind of ham is that? Not the regular one, we put in the sandwich, right? And... what's "hashbrown"?

Maple Glazed Ham with Maple Mustard Sauce

http://www.dairygoodness.ca/NR/rdonlyres/B4D505B1-D39A-433F-AB2D-B3D02AC5D664/0/U1709.jpg

Hashbrown Casserole

http://www.eintown.com/images/recipe_hashbrowncasserole.jpg

Maple Glazed Ham with Maple Mustard Sauce

http://www.dairygoodness.ca/NR/rdonlyres/B4D505B1-D39A-433F-AB2D-B3D02AC5D664/0/U1709.jpg

Hashbrown Casserole

http://www.eintown.com/images/recipe_hashbrowncasserole.jpg

Thanks a lot, Pam!!! But well.... what exactly is the "hashbrown" in that casserole? LOL

Oh, and by the way... I have replied to your post in the "I'm back" thread... check it out!

Thanks a lot, Pam!!! But well.... what exactly is the "hashbrown" in that casserole? LOL

Shredded potatoes. They're usually mounded into hot oil and pan fried until browned and crispy of each side. It's most often a breakfast side dish, but is very similar to potato pancakes without the binder.

Oh, and by the way... I have replied to your post in the "I'm back" thread... check it out!

On my way over there!

Shredded potatoes. They're usually mounded into hot oil and pan fried until browned and crispy of each side. It's most often a breakfast side dish, but is very similar to potato pancakes without the binder.

Oh, yeah.... I had hashbrowns the last time I went to the USA... now I remember.... at Burger King, for breakfast.

I usually cook Thanksgiving dinner, but one of my brothers is an assistant chef at a fine dining restaurant and he has to work this year. Since they are making everyone work, the restaurant is holding a family dinner after they close (6 p.m. ish) for the families. So, we'll be going to dinner there this year. I have a 10 month old, so I'm excited about not having to cook this year!

My MIL or her sister usually do thanksgiving. I'm usually assigned the relish tray to bring, lol. I used to be upset that that's all they thought I was capable of but then realized I was getting off easy and don't worry about it anymore. There are usually about 20 people for dinner with the usual turkey, potatoes, casserole, etc.

This year however is a little off. MIL's sisters family is doing theirs early and so I'll have the Thanksgiving dinner at my house for just us (4), MIL & FIL and maybe 3 more people. 9 total. I can handle that ;) I've always made my own thanksgiving dinner a few days after thanksgiving just to practice and because we wanted our own leftovers :hungry:

I'll do the turkey, green bean casserole and the rolls. MIL will probably bring a salad & dessert and the other 3 people will bring something as well. Not sure of the details yet.

well last yr i cooked a chicken. it's just me and the 2 kids so when i do a turkey alot of it goes to the animals (our cats, the dog, and the cats in the yard). but this yr i'll probably do a small turkey since my boyfriend will be here. one thing i really love is putting chunks of potatoes on the bottom of the turkey pan an hour before it's done. as they cook they soak up the turkey juices and come out soooooo good everyone loves them. i've also done this with roasted chickens and thier just as good. just got to remember to have enough water on the bottom of the pan. along with the uasual stuff.

since we live in NY we always watch the macy's day parade while i'm cooking.

turkey

stuffing (stove top)

corn on the cob

potatoes (from turkey pan)

mash potatoes (dd don't like other ones)

peas

string beans

candy yams

homemade pumkin pies

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, depends if my DIL makes it. But if I don't I miss the leftovers. I don't go overboard, just turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, veggie, and cranberry sauce. Its probably the only time I use the dishwasher too! LOL

My sis has done it for the past few years...Yea. But I usually cook at least 2 sides to bring over to her house. Thanks SIS, Because she is up all night getting ready for dinner than all night at wal-mart for midnight madness sells than we all know what she does NEXT....BLACK FRIDAY!

one thing i really love is putting chunks of potatoes on the bottom of the turkey pan an hour before it's done. as they cook they soak up the turkey juices and come out soooooo good everyone loves them. i've also done this with roasted chickens and thier just as good. just got to remember to have enough water on the bottom of the pan.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... these potatoes sound delicious...................................:gdlicklips:

All of our family goes to the grandparents or the nieces houses for all holiday dinners.

My sister makes the Best smashed potaotes, with sour cream, cream cheese and grated sharp cheese.

Mom makes the noodles, cranberry salad, bakes the ham, dressing to live for. Someone is always making the deep fried turkey. I do the rolls, corn, veggie salad,

green bean casserole, pumpkin pies (3), pecan pies (2) and marble cheesecake.

Also make a couple of batches of peppermint ice and peanut butter cups for the kiddies.

They all know that aunt julie is going to make those last 2 things for turkey day, but I always hide it and tell them I forgot. Only for one of the kiddies to find that box.

Most of the time we have from 13-20. We all take bowls for the leftovers. After seeing that some make mac and cheese, that sounds so good. Think I can do that too. Thanks for that idea.

Ever since my mom passed away 8 years ago I somehow got to take over fixing the Thanksgiving dinner for my family, my dad and step-mom, and step grandmother. So we only have about l0 people here. I always smoke my turkey and a brisket and ribs. Then I do all the other traditional stuff. I always ask ahead of time what each person wants for a favorite dessert and fix that too. It's tiring, but somehow rewarding. Plus, we LOVE the leftovers and there are always tons!

I never have, but this will be my 1st year. Step mom is having surgery a week before and won't be able to do it this year, so I volunteered. It will be nice to have both sides over and only have one meal instead of trying to make it to both sides and be miserable all day.

Turkey

Ham

Potataoes

corn

Green Bean Cassarole

Rolls

cheesecake

apple pie

I have to cook most everything every year. I tote it all to my mother house which is 1hr away and she is only 50 and healthy. But she can't cook very well. I also have two sisters, 33 and 27 who barely help at all, all very capable of pitching in. But the burdon always falls on me (30yo). But at least this way I know it is edible.:)

We always go to the movies...there are always new releases on

Thanksgiving. Then we go out for Chinese food at night. Its not

traditional for sure, but it is our tradition nonetheless.

I do love when people give us leftovers however:hungry:

There is nothing like that Turkey and stuffing sandwiches after

Thanksgiving!!

mmmm I'm getting hungry!!

This year I'm going over my mother-n-laws. She knows that Al and I are on weight watchers so I'm sure she will make something healthy we can eat. I want to make some healthy side dishes. I bought the most recent issue of weight watchers magazine, they have some delicious healthy recipes i would love to try!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... these potatoes sound delicious...................................:gdlicklips:

when you do the potatoes in the turkey (or chicken) pan, i make sure to add extra butter to the pan and after about half an hour i check on them and make sure they're all in the juice and spoon more juice on top of the potatoes to keep them moist (if need be i add water if it's not enough). and test them with a fork to see if they're tender enough. just cook them till they're the way you like them. i usually do an hour sometimes a little longer. i'm getting hungry just thinking about it. :2letseat::hungry:

when you do the potatoes in the turkey (or chicken) pan, i make sure to add extra butter to the pan and after about half an hour i check on them and make sure they're all in the juice and spoon more juice on top of the potatoes to keep them moist (if need be i add water if it's not enough). and test them with a fork to see if they're tender enough. just cook them till they're the way you like them. i usually do an hour sometimes a little longer. i'm getting hungry just thinking about it. :2letseat::hungry:

How exactly do you prepare your chicken/turkey?

i just rub butter over the whole thing and then sprinkle adobo on it, for those who don't know adobo is a pre mix of spices you can get in the supermarket usually in the spanish section. the one i use contains salt, garlic, oregano, black pepper, turmeric, (and tricalium phoshate to prevent caking). i like the one with the pepper but there are different ones you can get, i use it on most of my meats, just becareful if you use to much it can be salty. and just baste to keep the bird moist as you normally do.