Do you cook Thanksgiving Dinner?

momof5plus1hubby

If so what do you make? and for how many people?

Mine consists of

Turkey;)

Potato filling

Bread filling

Mashed potatoes because the kids don't like filling

Corn

Peas

Sweet potatoes Yum

Rolls

Cranberry Sauce

and Pumpkin Pie

usually there is just 8 of us, but it might be 13 this year:shock:

and I will probably have do clean up and do all the dishes by myself..I will be sure to take a nap though LOL

Yes I help, normally there is about 4 or 5 of us cooking. Since I live next to my dad I get up early to help put on the turkey, ham, and stuffing, then everything else is made alittle later. This is what is served at our dinner. We serve the same thing at Christmas.

Turkey

Ham

Mashed Potatoes

Sweet Potatoes

Homemade Gravy

Homemade Stuffing

Corn

Green Bean Casserole

Veggy tray with dip

Cheese and crackers

Crab Dip and Crackers

Spinach Dip with Crackers and/or Hawaiian Bread

Rolls

Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Fluff Pie

Apple Pie

Sugar Cream Pie

Cherry Delight

and this year I'm going to make a pecan pie-I had this for the first time about a month ago and loved it!

We have around 25 to 27 family members every year.

I do all the cooking. It is usually my kids, my dad, and myself. My brothers sometimes stop by as does my mother and her BF. I'm not sure if DS is inviting his GF. This is their first year together through the holidays and they are only 15, so she may have family plans she has to be at.

Here is what I make every year..

Turkey w/ stuffing

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

Corn

Green Bean Casserole

Sweet Potatoes

Jellied Cranberry Sauce

Rolls

Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Roll

Another kind of pie(pecan, cherry,apple, etc.) and/or cheesecake

I normally just cook one meal for thanks giving and it's for the Ederly, so there is about 50, it's the only thanksgiving they get, and then we go to my mother in laws, But not this year I will have to cook for the ederly and then my mother in law is going out of town so it will be the 6 of us and I think i can handle that have not done thanksgiving for just us in so long

Well it looks like this thread will be deleted..Someone already started a thread like this..I even searched for it..All well I just won't post anymore

The thread probably won't be deleted, it might just be merged. It's really not a big deal I don't think. It's bound to happen sometimes.

I will be this year, we moved back closer to family so it is pretty exciting... we will have the usual stuff plus I like to bake so there will be extra goodies before we lived almost an hour away so we "came" to dinner because the rest of the family live close together and now we do to! There are anywhere from 15 to 25 of us.

I love to cook (yes, I'm a guy and love to cook), Mom loves to cook, My 2 sisters love to cook.

We make it a family affair. I cook the Turkey, stuffing, Gravy, French Onion soup, and one of the desserts. Mom makes some of the sides (GB cassarole, rolls, creamed onions, cranberry sauce), Sisters make other sides, salad, mashed potateos, and other desserts.

Turkey and stuffing - I use my BBQ Grill.....Yes, my BBQ grill. When the turley is ready (stuffed, seasoned, etc...) put it into a aluminum roasting pan with some liquid in the botton (enough to cover the bottom of the pan). Cover with foil. Heat BBQ to 325-350 degrees (I use 2 or 3 thermometers). Put the pan on the BBQ other than checking the temp leave it alone for 1 hour (keep covered with foil). Then baste every 30 minutes till about 2/3 of the way done, then remove foil cover and allow skin to brown and get crisp...Keep basting. When done, remove from grill and pull turkey from pan. Cover with several towels and sit for 20-25 minutes. Don't worry the towels will keep it warm. If done right you can almost debone the Turkey while carving it. it's moist and tender and you can still use your oven for the other things.

I don't hear anything about deep fried turkey? We started it about 5 years ago. Absolutely, love it!! There's a story with it though, all the family got to enjoy it after my dad set the back of the house on fire with it!! Yikes!! So we had to go to Wal-mart for chicken. It's a story we re-live every thanksgiving. Oh, funny now, not then. It was one of those AFV moments. Just so you know dad doesn't cook it now, my husband does and away from the house. :smart:

We always go to the movies...there are always new releases on

Thanksgiving. Then we go out for Chinese food at night. Its not

traditional for sure, but it is our tradition nonetheless.

I do love when people give us leftovers however:hungry:

There is nothing like that Turkey and stuffing sandwiches after

Thanksgiving!!

I'm so excited. I have the whole week of Thanksgiving off. I get to bake cookies and pies and cakes. Then I can do my pre-thanksgiving cooking. Things I can prepare and then just throw in the oven on thanksgiving. YEAH. Usually I work night shift and don't get off work until 3:00am Thanksgiving day. I'm going to cook:

Ham

candied yams

dressing

mashed potatoes

chicken and dumplings

rolls

mac and cheese

green beans

philly piminto cheese dip

and a whole lot of other things that I can't think of right now.

:gdlicklips:

This year we are doing Thanksgiving at my sister in law's house so the only thing I have to cook is the turkey, she's cooking everything else. Although I will probably make the rolls too (a recipe I got from my aunt). I'm hosting Christmas Eve this year at my house so I'll do all the cooking for that.

I forgot to mention there will be 11 or 12 of us for dinner.