Official "What did you buy?" & share your experiences thread

Brad

As we always do, let's have this thread for you to share what deals you scored, both online and in stores, as well as any experiences you feel like sharing about the online or in-store shopping process this year.

Also, if you went to any physical brick & mortar stores, let the rest of us know how that went. What day, which store(s), how big were the crowds, etc.

Cat litter!!!!  450 pounds of it.   I got fifteen - 29 pound boxes of arm & hammer clumping  litter from pet supplies plus for $10.98 a box.  Had to go to two different stores to get 15 boxes but I am not buying cat litter again until NEXT black friday!!

• Like 5

I got two of these...

61dmFw-toML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BY3W5NST?th=1

along with four year protection.

Really completes the 'nest' I started last year.

$841/ HIGHLY rated 240Hz 5120x1440 LG 49" UltraGear Curved Gaming Monitor with HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort, 4-Pole HP Out DTS HP, X, and AMD FreeSync Premium Pro seems like a righteous deal to me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Most of my purchases were made before today and the only stores I’ve been in today were Dollar General and Dollar Tree.  

Walmart first sale: Apple Watch Series 9 in pink. Used points on my Walmart Capital One card and only spent $100 for it.  Yay me.

Kohl’s:  one throw, couple pairs of pajamas and a coupe of shirts for work

JCP: one pair of jeans and a necklace for a gift

Best Buy: Belkin 2-port USB-C 40W charging brick

Target:  one Air Tag …… extra 5% off with RedCard and used some gift card rewards earned from previous shopping trips

Amazon:  Golden Corral gift card from a lightening deal, golf club gadget and wind guards for Blackstone griddle for my Dad,  a pair of shoes for me and a box of kitchen trash bags.

Clinique: stocked up on moisturizer

Crocs online:  one pair for me and one for a gift……. Yes, we are a crocs family and proud of it.  🙂

I still need some gifts so I’ve got to come up with something soon!  😂 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HanShotFirst said:

Most of my purchases were made before today and the only stores I’ve been in today were Dollar General and Dollar Tree.  

One of the sales I did not participate in was my local McKinnons.  $4.99/# Porterhouse and T-Bone steaks were as tempting as anything else this year.  BUT, it was while supplies last and I figured there'd be three or a guy in front of me who filled his carriage with steak, so I slept in.  These days the cost of gasoline has to be accounted for.

9 minutes ago, ObiRich said:

First Black Friday I didn't leave the house.  All done online.

still need a list 🧐

I also completed most of my shopping online prior to today. Here’s what I bought online:

Kohls: The Big One Throw blankets, Coco Melon Learning basket, Buddy the Elf plush and book, Lego Tales of Space Age, Disney Christmas Village sets

Target: Lego Thor’s Hammer $80

Walmart: PS5 Spider-Man 2 $499, PS5 wireless controller $49, Baby Yoda Toy $15, Coco Melon jogging set $10, Coco Melon hooded towel $12, Lego Duplo Spider-Man $16, Shark cordless stick vacuum $144

Shopped Today in stores:

JCPenney: Missed the coupons! Not sure how many they gave out? They ran out… got flannel sheets and soft comforter 

Scheels: Under Armour Hoodies and Stanley cups

Target: Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy Lego set for $60!!!

Barnes and Noble: a couple kids books

Kohls: Adidas beanies, Christmas pj pants, Christmas gift bags, Eddie Bauer T-shirt

Ulta: Big Sexy Hairspray, Naked Urban Decay eyeshadow $29, Hempz lotion

Shoe Carnival: shoes on clearance 

Menards: Stove Heater for $39

I’m sure I’m forgetting some things! I sure miss the old days of Black Friday….

Edited by poofu04
Added deal
  • Like 4

This didn’t even feel like BF.  What happened to the DVD section at Walmart?  Target?  The aisles were barely filled deals.  Same stuff every year, but this year was the worst I can remember.  I bought some towels at Kohls and a pair of Ugg.  My kids are getting cash, I suppose.  Not feeling it this year.  ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

• Like 4

During BF sale week earlier in the month at Target:

Garmin Vivoactive 5 smart watch $169.99

This was a more expensive one not advertised for the sale, but the associate gave me the sale price on this one for the one that was out of stock.  Very nice of her and thanked her a lot.

Walmart today:

Hotel Style sheet set $25

Hotel Style blanket $15

3 throw pillows $5 each

Reebok kid's hoodie $10

2 women's Reebok hoodies $15 each

Dearfoam slippers $10

Posturepedic pillow $5

Sharpie marker set $9.98

Boys undies $5

Beats studio3 wireless headphones $99

Onn 43" TV $98

Onn wall mount $15

Onn sound bar $29

Earlier in the month Walmart BF sale:

TopVision surveillance camera system $89.99 (online only deal)

I bought other items from the earlier sales as well.

That's all folks!  Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving and scored all the deals they wanted!

Edited by Giraffe34
Forget to list some things that I bought
  • Like 1

Our first stop at 6:00 this morning was a regional store called Atwood's. It's kind of like Tractor Supply. Anyway, they weren't quite as busy as they used to be on BF, but they were pretty busy. However, for the first time ever, I think, we didn't buy anything there. They are usually at least good for some cheap plaid lounge pants. We were there to look at a Wrangler purse, but a better one could be found online and at a cheaper price. 

Our next stop was Target. We couldn't find one specific toy we wanted, even though the app said there were 5 of them in store. So I ordered it on my phone and hoped the associates would have better luck than we did. I think the only thing I bought there other than that toy was socks. Now, to be fair, I went to Target on Sunday when their sale started and bought quite a few toys and a Switch game. When we got to the checkout, I told my niece "this is just sad". It was Black Friday morning and there were only 4 registers open. And there weren't any lines at any of them.

We went down to road to Academy, which is another store that's always good for an impulse buy or 2, but all I picked up was a Billy Bass ornament that I couldn't quit laughing at.  Again, they were busy, but not crowded. We didn't have to wait in line to check out.  By the time we were out of there, the Target heroes had found the toy and it was ready to pick up. Man, I am not a big Target shopper, but their pick up beats Walmart all to...

From there we went to Kohl's where I bought some unmentionables and the girls got some pillows. We earned $15 in KC, and some ladies that were leaving as we went in gave us their KC. We don't shop there much either, so all the KC is being donated to the art teacher at my grandkids' school. I think with theirs' and ours', we had $60.

After that was Walmart, which was more of the same. Then Lowe's for totes and batteries. Also picked up some screwdrivers and pliers that were on sale, but not must haves. Then to a different Kohl's (we were looking for a specific Barbie my aunt was looking for, but we didn't find it at either one). We also landed at Half Price Books and then finally at Ollie's. 

For a mediocre ad year, we sure made a day of it. What I got most was tired.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bopeep said:

Our first stop at 6:00 this morning was a regional store called Atwood's. It's kind of like Tractor Supply. Anyway, they weren't quite as busy as they used to be on BF, but they were pretty busy. However, for the first time ever, I think, we didn't buy anything there. They are usually at least good for some cheap plaid lounge pants. We were there to look at a Wrangler purse, but a better one could be found online and at a cheaper price. 

Our next stop was Target. We couldn't find one specific toy we wanted, even though the app said there were 5 of them in store. So I ordered it on my phone and hoped the associates would have better luck than we did. I think the only thing I bought there other than that toy was socks. Now, to be fair, I went to Target on Sunday when their sale started and bought quite a few toys and a Switch game. When we got to the checkout, I told my niece "this is just sad". It was Black Friday morning and there were only 4 registers open. And there weren't any lines at any of them.

We went down to road to Academy, which is another store that's always good for an impulse buy or 2, but all I picked up was a Billy Bass ornament that I couldn't quit laughing at.  Again, they were busy, but not crowded. We didn't have to wait in line to check out.  By the time we were out of there, the Target heroes had found the toy and it was ready to pick up. Man, I am not a big Target shopper, but their pick up beats Walmart all to...

Target pickup absolutely beats Walmart all to h**l.  I do it all the time.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Didn’t buy a ton. Spent under $200 today. Some of it is stuff we needed for the house (bath mats, towels, wash clothes). I got a movie for myself Top Gun Maverick, got a movie for our daughter. Some perfume sets for the girls and a game. Like I said not a ton. Just nothing fabulous we had to get. 

I got a couple of bigger items online:

Walmart - Airpods Pro 2 and a Ninja Creami

Target - Ipad Gen 9

Yesterday daughter and I still wanted to keep our BF shopping tradition alive so we got out at 6 am and visited:

Walmart - bought 2 towels and then regular items like cat treats and dog itch wipes lol and some protein bars. No lines at all although we did get there around 6:45. - Spent $50

Dick's Sporting Goods - bought 3 of their cozy socks as those are always good for team gift exchanges and daughter will have one soon with her college softball team. Also found a pair of sweats on clearance and of course daughter found a couple of items NOT on much of a sale, lol. However, she has to wear Under Armour branded items when she wears her team gear since they are sponsored by UA. She has always been a Nike girl so we are slowly changing over some of her items since she wears her softball provided tshirts so much at school. - Spent $110.

Macy's - I found some items at 50% off for myself and a couple Hurley tshirts at 30% off - spent about $90 there.

Bath and Body works - bought 12 wallflowers for their b3g3 sale. I had a coupon on my app for $10 off $35 and also had a coupon for a free full size body care item so also got a body lotion free - spent $40.

Then went into the mall where most stores opened at 9 am. The mall starts to get busier and busier as the morning moves along so we definitely prefer to get there early to avoid some of the madness of the later lazy people, lol. Parking was nonexistent as we left at 11:30. Most stores at the mall had between 30-50% off the whole store so we spent random amounts at different ones. Daughter was thrilled I actually let her buy something at PacSun - which was still WAAAAAY too expensive but I was distracted and wasn't paying attention so that's on me....

JoAnn Fabric - spent $80 but I did get a Woobles kit which I keep seeing online and saying I want to try but never actually pulling the trigger and buying it it was full price but it seemed like fate - not everything we bought was on sale and I didn't have any coupons on me (facepalm) but I wasn't putting stuff back.

Vitamin Shoppe - B1G1 protein powder for daughter who eats it like it is going out of style. Did spend enough to score a free backpack which the company will send through the mail. Maybe will get that by spring 🤪

We found some stores ridiculously busy with long lines - looking at Aerie in the mall and Ulta especially. We opted not to bother with those stores as I could just buy online if there was anything we needed. Most stores were not very busy at all. If there was a line it moved fast as all registers had cashiers which was like seeing a Yeti - I do like that. Stores need to provide enough cashiers because most days we go shopping there is a line of 10 people and one or two cashiers. It's awful.

• Like 1

One of the best deals I got was energizer max batteries at home depot. I  searched for the best price...Sam's Club was the lowest per battery price. Then they went on sale at home depot for black friday AND home depot sent me a 10% coupon they said wasn't good with other offers....but it was. Made theirs the best deal I  could find.

• Thanks 1

went to kohls first got there an hour and a half early, didnt need to as at opening there were only 5 people there...the store manager seemed very disapointed as he was telling us how they were trying to get more people to shop in store... they didnt have anything i wanted,,,everything was already out of stock...headed over to walmart where there were no more than 25 people waiting...got what i went for which was the tfal set, got 2..also picked up pjs and earbuds..went to target for my friend she got some toys..felt achy so i came home...took a covid test and surprise im now in isolation so couldnt finish shopping. 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, vern28 said:

went to kohls first got there an hour and a half early, didnt need to as at opening there were only 5 people there...the store manager seemed very disapointed as he was telling us how they were trying to get more people to shop in store... they didnt have anything i wanted,,,everything was already out of stock...headed over to walmart where there were no more than 25 people waiting...got what i went for which was the tfal set, got 2..also picked up pjs and earbuds..went to target for my friend she got some toys..felt achy so i came home...took a covid test and surprise im now in isolation so couldnt finish shopping. 

Kohls has put itself out of business.  Their loyalty program is difficult to use, they exempt too many products from their discounts, and their pick up process is horrible.  Condolences on the isolation.  Merry Christmas!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vern28 said:

Oh no!  I hope you feel better soon! 

3 hours ago, vern28 said:

There's never a good time to be sick, but especially at the holidays.  Hoping you feel better soon!

I decided today to go to the local Walmart here where I am for the weekend to check things out.  It appeared to be quite the lackluster Black Friday for them this year.  Lots of things left including a pallet full of Rubbermaid containers and the Gourmia air fryers.  They even had lots of the towels left.  I picked up a copy of Pioneer Woman cookbook and was able to still order her fry pan for pickup today at a store in TN. I will pick it up tomorrow.  

I convinced my mom to finally switch over from a real tree to an artificial one, and Kohl’s had some nice ones to choose from, so that was the major online BF pickup from there. Plus you can’t beat getting $15 KC for spending $50. I like the novelty of a real tree but an artificial is just so much more clean. Other than that it was just a few odds and ends from Walmart. 

I shopped all online. I got 5 Kohls throw blankets, Amazon kids pro fire tablet, Mickey Mouse Big Blind Bag, 2 Rainbowcorns, Mickey Mouse figurines, PJ Mask figurines, Jlab earbuds, RC Jeep, Tineco mop/vacuum, Apple Airpods, Lenovo Chromebook, Acer Laptop, gaming chair and Firebuds HQ playset. I've still got a lot more to buy but this year the deals just wasn't that great. 

Went to Walmart around 8 am and it was pretty dead and they still had a lot of their BF items left. Got my mom and grandson PJs and some lounge pants for my mom. 

Went to Target around 10 and again it was pretty dead. Picked up my order of games and toys that I ordered on Thanksgiving for my kids and grandson and got some candy for stocking stuffers. Did more online shopping this year than in the past. 

DH and I went to a local outlet center Friday afternoon and that place was PACKED. Snagged a coat for our grandson, got some shirts for me.

I am thankful I took advantage of the some great deals during the summer and fall as those deals were better than what was offered on BF.