Official "What did you buy?" & share your experiences thread

Brad

On 11/24/2023 at 11:48 AM, len_mullen said:

I got two of these...

61dmFw-toML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BY3W5NST?th=1

along with four year protection.

Really completes the 'nest' I started last year.

$841/ HIGHLY rated 240Hz 5120x1440 LG 49" UltraGear Curved Gaming Monitor with HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort, 4-Pole HP Out DTS HP, X, and AMD FreeSync Premium Pro seems like a righteous deal to me.

Looks like it may be even cheaper today! Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing...

I ordered everything I wanted from Wally World when the sale went live on Wednesday

• PJ's, socks and undies for the grand
  • Ice maker,
  • Portable heater
  • The $98 tv
  • Rubbermaid containers

I went out BF morning for poinsettias and batteries from Lowe's and also left with a 3'-4' live tree 🤗... Then stopped by Wally World and picked up more PJ's, socks and undies 😂,  Otter box cases, men's slippers, mini ornaments, children's books, young men's body wash sets...

I must say, pulling into the Lowe's parking lot at about 6:20 on BF I saw a bunch of people walking out with a cart of poinsettias, but looking across to the Target parkin lot I could see there were not a lot of people out shopping... apparently this was the experience from others as well...

I didn't buy a lot since most of my shopping is done. I did notice that the stores weren't busy at all. Normally Mendards is packed wall to wall with people. This year I'd say there was only about 1/3 of the normal crowd there. Walmart was a sorry sight too. It was even less than a normal day shopping, nothing at all like Black Fridays of the past. We did venture to one of the malls in Toledo and it was really busy.

So I got stuff from Kohl's early access sale: 

- Throw (because of course)

- Couple new bath towels (better color for the house than what I had)

- Calphalon cookware set (needed some new stuff)

- Cuddl Duds sheet set

When Walmart put the Apple Watch 9's on sale, I promptly went to Best Buy and asked if they would price match (at the suggestion of some fellow GDers on our Discord). Best Buy agreed, so I left with two of them - one for me, one for one of my best friends. I have a Best Buy card, so we got them at the Walmart price but with 18 months, no interest to pay them off. We'll do it far sooner than that but it still made it nicer to not be out the chunk of money on the spot. 

Meijer "Black Friday All Week Long" sale: 

- BOGO $1 shoes: Got a new pair of Skechers sneakers and a pair of Skechers water-repellant boots (which I'm currently wearing and they are comfy/warm). As a size 11 women's shoe wearer, I was excited to find two pair that I actually really liked. 

- Christmas lights (because HOUSE! Ahhhh!!! lol) - the 100-light strings of mini lights were on sale for $2.49 each. Bought 5. That'll be enough for what I want to do both inside and out, at least this year. (She's a beaut, Clark! 🤣)

Home Depot BF savings all month long: 

- Gorilla multi-position ladder, $99 (in-store pickup)

- Three wreath deal, $19.98 (or something very close to that, also in-store pickup)

- 6.5' Artificial pre-lit tree, $49.88 (delivered for free to my door)

When Sam's Club sale went live Wednesday night, I purchased two SWA e-gift cards ($1000 credit total) for 799.98. Good deal when I know I'll be flying SWA with friends to Vegas in March for the spring NASCAR race. Saves us all a bit on our flights that way. 

Friday, I was up early and pulled into Menards as the doors were about to open. There was a decent sized crowd there but, based on what I'd heard from others, far tamer than it used to be. I picked up several smaller things: 

- Gift sets for coworkers (three, $8.99 each)

- Three packs of the lightning cables ($4.99 each, 3 cables/pack)

- Two wireless charger sets ($9.99 each, I think)

- Two electronic rechargeable hand warmers ($9.99 each, I think) 

- Three pawprint keepsake kits ($1.99 each)

- Two 20k mAh power banks ($9.99 each)

- Jump starter box ($39.99) 

- 15' outdoor extension cord 2-pk

I'm thinking there might've been one more thing but I can't think of it off hand. 

Home Depot in-store was next: 

- Free donut! Woo! Breakfast! lol

- Batteries (AA/AAA) 

- 50' Outdoor extension cord

- Smart outdoor power stake (6 outlets - handy for the holidays!)

- Inflatable Rudolph (the red-nosed reindeer)

- Pair of thick work gloves for outside house work in the cold

PetSmart in-store: 

- Great Choice scoopable cat litter, 42-lb boxes - I bought 6. That'll hold us for a while! 

- Stuff for my SS person's fur kids

- Two holiday cardboard scratchers, 50% off

- Friskies canned cat food (not really on special sale, just restocking for the hungry felines since I was there anyway)

(Break to go home and give my Mew her morning meds and unload my car)

B&BW run: 

- had coupons for three free full size items

- used a candle coupon for a discount on a 3-wick I will give as a gift

- $10 off $40 purchase before noon

- 25% off entire purchase also stacked

- All told, walked out with 10 full sized items (of various kinds) for just under $45 total. 

This was the largest crowd (volume of people vs space of store) I saw all morning. 

Then went to Culver's for lunch and called it a day on the shopping - had to get ready for my Torrid shift. lol

All told, crowds were lighter than I'd expected/experienced in several years, even at B&BW. This definitely was unlike any BF I can remember (not counting COVID years). I miss the rush of the thrill of the hunt. I will say, though, that I was pleased to get the deals I got on the Apple Watches and the SW cards. Those were my big wins. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DS12 decided he wanted to go shopping with me this year, so we left at 5:45 Friday morning and went to the Walmart that's closest to our house.  It was totally dead at 6am when they opened.  They were apparently optimistic about having a big crowd, with crowd barrier things up and all, but there was no crowd.  DS was not amused - "where are all of the people? you said there would be lots of people" LOL We looked around for a little bit and got a soft blanket for $15 for his brother, and then we moved on.

We went to Best Buy where I picked up some video games for DS13, Beats Studio Pros for them both, and a replacement Apple Watch (and later found out he doesn't need the watch, so I still have to take that back).

We hit our local mall, where I bought DS12 some socks, a Waterford ornament for myself, some spatulas off the clearance rack at Macys, and we walked around the mall some more.  He got some tennis shoes at Champs and the Nike Tech outfit he's been begging for.  

Then we went to Academy, where I bought a dog hoodie and another trail cam for DH. By that point DS was getting cranky so I took him home and picked up my mom and she and I went back to the mall and shopped around some more.  I got some Bath and Body Works soap for the boys, and then ended up doing another Best Buy pickup for a game I couldn't find in store, but they had in stock, and that was pretty much it.  

Saturday my mom and I hit a local craft fair and I bought a bracelet and some dog treats. We also went to JC Penney on Saturday but didn't see anything there that we wanted.  I spent probably around 1k over the course of those two days, which is down from previous years.  I still need to get something for my mom and some more stuff for DS13 when he decides what he would like.  Mom has the added bonus of having a birthday this month, so I need two gifts.  Thinking about a Samsung tv and a grill. 

Of all the places we went, the craft fair was by far the most packed. Other than that, Academy had the most people...we actually had to wait in line there for a few minutes.  

• Like 1

It snowed Friday morning so I did most of my shopping online. So boring and takes forever. And most items have had better sales on Cyber Monday and even now but it's such a hassle to return things - I just gave up.

We did make it out to Target and Kohl's in the afternoon. Crowds as usual. We bought a few items at each store but not BF items.

It was a pretty lame BF.

Throughout the year, I got some of my shopping done when I found something I thought someone would like on sale or clearance. Online, I bought a Keurig coffee maker, a video game and some toys from the early Walmart sales. I also bought a shirt, ornament, boots, a throw, and jewelry from the Kohl's sale. They were out of stock on a few of the items I wanted. I got video games from Best Buy and a few clothing items from Macy's. I bought toys and socks from Target.

The Sunday before Black Friday, we went to Meijer for the Black Friday all week sale. My sons each picked out a pair of shoes from the buy 1, get 1 for $1 sale. They also each found an ornament they wanted. My husband found a set of Chewbacca Legos he wanted to get me because Chewbacca is one of my favorite Star Wars characters. We will put it together over Christmas break as a date night. Then, I went to Kohl's to see if they had the items that were out of stock online. I found the box for one of the items, but it was empty. So, no luck there. On that Wednesday, I started to feel run down and had a bit of an earache. Sometimes when my ear acts up, I get vertigo from it. I still wasn't feeling the best on Black Friday, and there was only one thing that I really needed in store. The closest one of that store is about 45 minutes away, so we decided to stay home on Black Friday this year. I did find something at Macy's that was similar, so I bought that online.

We had to bring my son back to college on Sunday. We were trying to get back home in time so I could do the Walmart+ Early Access Cyber Monday sale. Unfortunately, it was one of the first snows here and there were several accidents on the way there and a few on the way back home. We were still over an hour away from home when the sale started. So, I tried to get the Winnie the Pooh Legos on my Walmart app. I got them into the cart, but it wouldn't let me checkout. I kept trying, but was not able to get them. Eventually, it disappeared from my cart. I was disappointed, but was thankful that we weren't involved in any of the accidents we saw.

I hope next year goes a little better and I hope most of you were able to get what you needed or wanted this year. 🙂

Despite not having a lot on my lists, and really dragging my feet on shopping in general, I did buy quite a bit.  Kohl's and Amazon were my top 2 as usual. 

Monday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  Crowds (and traffic) were weekend levels.

Marshall's,  TJMaxx, Five Below, PopShelf, Michael's,  PetSmart:

Wrapping paper and bags (although I don't need any more!), novelty candy for stockings, small tree, jar candles, dog treats, and a pair of jeans

Michael's was out of the B1G1 sketch pads,  but they were available at another store 45 minutes away, in the shopping center that my son was going to.  So I did a pickup order.  Unfortunately,  they got things mixed up, and he came home with 3 big balls of yarn (that had been B2G1), so I made a blanket and donated that to the senior center.  And then ordered the sketch pads and a tiny tree for shipping.

Joanns online.  Yarn, gifts bags, and a couple decorations. 

Walmart online.  Rubbermaid containers and men's pajama set.

Samsung. The Freestyle Projector and battery base.  The projector was on sale at every store for $200 off.  But Samsung direct was the only place I could find the battery base (also on sale), but you could only buy it with the protector.  Plus I had a $25 off coupon for first purchase through the app. 

Kohl's online.   Preview sale, veterans day sale, and on Saturday. 

Towels, throws, bath rugs, memory foam mattress pad, 2 pair of jeans, Under Armor hoodie,  couple of toys, toddler clothes,  men's slippers,  Aura frame, and a Dutch oven. I still have some Kohl's cash I need to spend.   All total I earned about $150 in Kohl's cash.

Amazon.  Resin 3D printer, 3D printer filament, Samsung Buds Live, wireless around-the-neck earbuds, cables, comforter, Logitech gaming mouse, toys, coffee table, and other random things.

All in all in was a productive month, although for some reason I was dragging my feet on actually buying things, even when they were are on sale.  

Now I have to wrap it all!