Is it just me or do these ads leave a LOT to be desired?

Kanyon71

I just think in general even for things that people want the prices just aren’t great. I saw a few deals here and there but I don’t see anything that I’m like oh wow that’s such a good deal I think I’m going to get it. In years past I’ve seen those types of deals. I guess a lot of it boils down to prices of everything just being so high right now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kanyon71 said:

I just think in general even for things that people want the prices just aren’t great. I saw a few deals here and there but I don’t see anything that I’m like oh wow that’s such a good deal I think I’m going to get it. In years past I’ve seen those types of deals. I guess a lot of it boils down to prices of everything just being so high right now. 

I will say those SWA e-cards at Sam's are a solid deal but they are only jumping out at me because I have planned travel coming up that I can use them on basically immediately. Otherwise, I'm basically with you. Not much that truly is jumping out at me. 

• Like 1

We seem to say this or at least ask that question every year. However, part of the problem this year is there is no 1 awesome deal day (BLACK FRIDAY)!  This 2-3 weeks of sales is really hard to compare the ads and budget for. 

• Like 9

I thought I was just not in the Christmas / BF spirit yet, but there is really nothing out there that I have seen. I am playing catch up on the site and AD viewing but dang......Is this it this year? I hope some surprise ads are going to drop

Edited by jesusluvu
  • Like 1

Yeah, with increased prices it’s not the same as years past… of course some of my yearly purchase items have increased, not a deal breaker as it’s to be expected, but I definitely notice the increase…I’m so glad all of my children are grown and I only really have to shop for the grand… but I think it really depends on your needs, mine have definitely changed and I BF shop now out of tradition (and because I like saving money).

As others have said, the dynamic of Black Friday has changed, and I think that has altered what we see as good deals as well as store not being forced to give as steep of discounts to get people in the door.  Why go to the store to get a deal when you can order from home?  I actually liked the in store sales better, but the way BF has changed has benefited a lot more people even though those who liked the deal hunting is disappointed.  I've never had too many items on my wish list each year, but surprisingly a couple I have this year have shown up in ads.

Agree. Ads are coming out much later, prices aren't so great in the ads, things aren't on sale like they used to be...

Some examples the pet stores used to have almost all dog treats and toys on sale like half off, now just a few prestige brands are half off. Meijer always had cat liter half off, now it's buy one get one half off. JC Penney used to have tons of items free or cheap after rebates, and the free snowglobes.

I don't like the trends in black Friday shopping...

• Like 2

My son, who definitely does NOT pay attention to BF ads normally, looked through the Academy ad last night. He looked at me and said "these are Black Friday deals?!? These aren't good deals at all!"  So, while I said it's all relative, and thought I just didn't need anything on sale, perhaps I have been corrected.

• Like 1

Very few places, if any have "Doorbusters" anymore. I wonder if it's because they realize they can cut overhead by reducing their staffing on Friday in their brick and mortar locations and just rely on people shopping online instead?  One of the boardgame stores around here sold $75 tickets for their sale on Friday.  They will have a decent amount of games at 50% off , some maybe a bit more. In reality as anyone that shops at local gamestores knows, they can not match the prices of online boardgame retailers, due to their overhead to operate the store.  In reality, these "50% sale prices" are probably 10-20% off what is online, but being able to support the store is a nice opportunity. Plus, they do bring back the fun of old style Black Friday's by giving everyone a gift bag with over $150 in games. Last year the bags probably had closer to $200 even though they were advertised as $150 value.

There's that gamestore, and then the $10 off $10 with chances for bigger prizes from JCPenney.  Otherwise I'm not sure of many doorbusters or boorbuster-like promotions

It's been this way for years and years.  I think retailers know that no matter what they put in the ads, people are going to shop on BF, so there's not really an incentive to drive people to shop.  It's just the same stuff - year after year.  As my kids get older, toys aren't on my list, so everything is meh.  

You know what I miss.... the freebies/ next to freebies at Walgreens/CVS. Ever since they transitioned away from paper ads their sales have pretty much disappeared. Maybe I'm not about searching through the ridiculous new format but just tried and saw nothing worthwhile. I'm gonna need scuncii elastics and clips soon 🤣

• Like 1

I agree, the ads seemed pretty lackluster. I  wasn't looking for a whole bunch, but if the ads would've been more exciting I probably would have bought more than I originally intended,  lol. I made them more exciting by piling on rebates and cash back offers to get an even better deal. One of my great deals was a kitchenaid 5.5qt lift bowl mixer for net $172! My goal was to break $200. That made it a little more exciting.

• Like 2

This is not the Black Friday I remember. I've been MIA the past few years but me and my son walked into Walmart Friday morning before we took the pup to the park and the parking lot was more empty than a typical weekday?

No lines wrapping around each isle to walk past the bins of deals, no register lines wrapped around 5 isles, we just grabbed our stuff, went to one of the empty registers and left.

Lame, I miss watching line cutters sprint into the store as the doors opened with a bunch of people trying to yell but too busy running themselves to get to their stuff lol.